Character Rankings May 2015 Edition: The Results!

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    raisin,

You are happy when the Ai uses flame jet improperly. But it's pretty awesome when you use it well. Or when the Ai uses it after a big green cascade. It's very annoying.
    Flame Jet has never been a problem for me, and I've never used torch when not required because he's not worth iso.

Even if it was a threat Hulk would krutack him up.

How about this: Let's say u could tell a player, a newer player what characters to get - and they could instantly cover them appropriately and get them to max level. 1* 2* 3* 4* doesn't matter, can even be Devil Dino

But you can only recommend 10-15 characters. Would Torch REALLY be one of them?

It wouldn't for me.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    raisin,

You are happy when the Ai uses flame jet improperly. But it's pretty awesome when you use it well. Or when the Ai uses it after a big green cascade. It's very annoying.
    Flame Jet has never been a problem for me, and I've never used torch when not required because he's not worth iso.

How about this: Let's say u could tell a player, a newer player what characters to get - and they could instantly cover them appropriately and get them to max level. 1* 2* 3* 4* doesn't matter, can even be Devil Dino

It wouldn't for me.

Of course not. I already said he's not top tier. That wasn't the debate. I just don't think he's bad, and I think 2/3 of his abilities are pretty good. You seem to disagree.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    raisin,

It wouldn't for me.

Of course not. I already said he's not top tier. That wasn't the debate. I just don't think he's bad, and I think 2/3 of his abilities are pretty good. You seem to disagree.

So if he isn't top 10-15, what exactly are u arguing about? He can't climb more from #28, and even if he did, you hypothetically want him to be somewhere in 16-27? Barely a difference
  • grael23
    grael23 Posts: 54
    Options
    Ebolamonkey! Thanks SO much for doing these.

I make sure to always skip you in PvP as thanks for all your hard work. I hope others do the same. =)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Torch is not underrated. He has one good move (red), the rest of his abilities are AP that is better used elsewhere, as I mentioned in an earlier post, black is the most important color for top 25 it seems, and green for a year+ it seems has been the defacto 'offensive' color. So he isn't "bad" per say, but he's pretty much reliant on red and does nothing else.
    - Unreall
  • Unknown
    Options
    I could grant that Human Torch is ever so slightly under rated. He's better than Falcon for sure and GSBW maybe. Not better than Grocket tho, or any of the top 25.

The top top 2*s clearly benefited from the new format. As good as OBW is, I dunno that I classify her as a top 20 character. Although I do use her every damn day so who can say I guess. My ranking system goes "best 3/4*s, Best 2*s, Terrible 3*s, OKish 2*s, the rest". Doesn't leave anywhere on the list for Star Lord to go, but still.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Reading the amusing descriptions of the character's placing on the list was a lot of people's favourite thing about these forums. I've been logging in every day to read them and two weeks later we still only have two characters done. I appreciate your time on this but perhaps next time someone else can be in charge of writing it up. Any takers?
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Reading the amusing descriptions of the character's placing on the list was a lot of people's favourite thing about these forums. I've been logging in every day to read them and two weeks later we still only have two characters done. I appreciate your time on this but perhaps next time someone else can be in charge of writing it up. Any takers?

Sorry my full time job, three year old child, and a death in the family have taken precedence. I will try to readjust my priorities.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    I could grant that Human Torch is ever so slightly under rated. He's better than Falcon for sure and GSBW maybe. Not better than Grocket tho, or any of the top 25.

The top top 2*s clearly benefited from the new format. As good as OBW is, I dunno that I classify her as a top 20 character. Although I do use her every damn day so who can say I guess. My ranking system goes "best 3/4*s, Best 2*s, Terrible 3*s, OKish 2*s, the rest". Doesn't leave anywhere on the list for Star Lord to go, but still.
    I can't say he's better than GSBW or Falcon.

I'd MUCH rather have them than HT. In a vaccum yeah 1v1 HT will beat both, but factoring in what they bring to the team...I'll take GSBW purple and Green against HT and I'll take Falcon's yellow against HT red...all with the right team in place.
    - Unreall
  • Unknown
    Options
    Why are you taking such offence at me suggesting someone with more time do it next time? I didn't criticise you in any way but you're choosing to take it badly. My sympathies for the death in the family, that's always rough. Wasn't attacking you!
  • Unknown
    Options
    Many who've character rankings before no longer do it - one even quit because he was harassed in PMs.

So, in short, there are no takers.

There's a saying: Put your money where your mouth is.

Sorry my full time job, three year old child, and a death in the family have taken precedence. I will try to readjust my priorities.

Don't listen to 'em. This is what I was worried about, I'm sure I'll get reported and ghost-downvoted for even alluding to it but...

We've got your back. Do what you can
  • Kenyzdor
    Kenyzdor Posts: 6
    Options
    @dreadlington From my point of view it is a privilege for others to have these rankings prepared and it is just a matter of waiting for the write ups. From what @Ebolamonkey84 wrote so far on the lowest scored characters, he shows a lot of insight into the game and in my opinion all future write ups will most likely benefit a lot of new and old players. I'd rather have someone with insight write these than someone else.

We should all not forget @Ebolamonkey84 created the survey, made it public for all of us to vote, collected the data and presented it and now he does a proper write up on each and every of the 69 characters. So waiting for this last bit should be the least we could do. I check these forums every day to see if there's a new chapter and I am happy when there is one. I don't get disappointed if there isn't.

@Ebolamonkey84 Keep up the good work!

@Alltheimpatientones Get some tact or do your own write up.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Part of the issue is getting through the slog of the lower ranked people and finding something to write about them. I'm going to start just writing up specific characters instead of trying to run through them in order, and I've asked a few people to help out, so expect them to pick up the pace a little. Wasn't in the greatest mood when I read dreadlington's post, so I may have been a little harsh.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Part of the issue is getting through the slog of the lower ranked people and finding something to write about them. I'm going to start just writing up specific characters instead of trying to run through them in order, and I've asked a few people to help out, so expect them to pick up the pace a little. Wasn't in the greatest mood when I read dreadlington's post, so I may have been a little harsh.
    Well it might be 'cheating', but for characters without real changes, it might be easiest to just grab from the previous effort, give credit, and then tag any metagame changes since then. Don't re-invent the wheel for characters no one more than 60 days in will care about (I was so mad at my wife for having a lvl 80 something Bagman before level adjustment...to be so young...)

Any actual energy should go towards mover and shakers - new characters, big drops (like Sentry) or raises, characters who's powers have changed like Rags, etc. In the future, I'd possible even ask people in the respective threads to do a write up. Tone would change, but an undertaking this large shouldn't fall on one or two guys.
    - Unreall
  • Unknown
    Options
    Kenyzdor wrote:
    @dreadlington From my point of view it is a privilege for others to have these rankings prepared and it is just a matter of waiting for the write ups. From what @Ebolamonkey84 wrote so far on the lowest scored characters, he shows a lot of insight into the game and in my opinion all future write ups will most likely benefit a lot of new and old players. I'd rather have someone with insight write these than someone else.

We should all not forget @Ebolamonkey84 created the survey, made it public for all of us to vote, collected the data and presented it and now he does a proper write up on each and every of the 69 characters. So waiting for this last bit should be the least we could do. I check these forums every day to see if there's a new chapter and I am happy when there is one. I don't get disappointed if there isn't.

@Ebolamonkey84 Keep up the good work!

@Alltheimpatientones Get some tact or do your own write up.
    don't forget Ebola's team.
    Well it might be 'cheating', but for characters without real changes, it might be easiest to just grab from the previous effort, give credit, and then tag any metagame changes since then. Don't re-invent the wheel for characters no one more than 60 days in will care about (I was so mad at my wife for having a lvl 80 something Bagman before level adjustment...to be so young...)

Any actual energy should go towards mover and shakers - new characters, big drops (like Sentry) or raises, characters who's powers have changed like Rags, etc. In the future, I'd possible even ask people in the respective threads to do a write up. Tone would change, but an undertaking this large shouldn't fall on one or two guys.
    - Unreall

Agree, there's really only need for commentary on new/changed meta-effected characters. Yelena won't be going anywhere anytime soon, after all.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I don't know, I have a gut feeling she might make some headway in the next one and move up a spot.

Hey Rags has to fall somewhere (oooooooohhh diissssssssss)
    - Unreall
  • Unknown
    Options
    I appreciate all the work you continue to put in to this, Ebola. I am enjoying the write ups when you get a chance to do them. Thanks a bunch!
  • Unknown
    Options

Sincerest condolences firstly. Secondly, as a father with a soon to be 6 year old and 5 year old, it gets easier but never easy.

In the modern day internet world of immediate gratification, many people ( mostly young folks but many emotionally arrested old people too ) forget that real work is needed to generate things, and so often, the very people who would never consider doing something for the benefit of others without being paid for it - are quick to chide the dwindling mass of self motivated and frankly good hearted people who still do do things out of the goodness of their hearts.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:

I can't say he's better than GSBW or Falcon.

I'd MUCH rather have them than HT. In a vaccum yeah 1v1 HT will beat both, but factoring in what they bring to the team...I'll take GSBW purple and Green against HT and I'll take Falcon's yellow against HT red...all with the right team in place.
    - Unreall

If you would take Falcon's yellowflag.png over HT's redflag.png then you just don't understand how truly bad Falcon's yellowflag.png really is. To get the damage HT does with ONE fireball you would need 36 activations of Falcon's boosts. He does do 3 at a time and they do persist for rounds so while not impossible it's unlikely. Plus in those rounds HT just lauched off another fireball.

Falcon is OKish in very distinct circumstances, i.e. when paired with Daken against goons. Outside that niche he is terrible. GSBW OTOH is an alright character and good support for certain heroes, which is why I only said MAYBE better. HT isn't that under rated on the list, just very slightly.

HT gets a bad rap, partly because he was released literally days before Thor and Captain America made him irrelevant. For the 1 week he existed as the primary source of red damage in 3* land he was great. Then Thor crushed his dreams with his golden locks and super huge thighs. Despite this HT is still actually good, just not A-List.
  • Arondite
    Arondite Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why are you taking such offence at me suggesting someone with more time do it next time? I didn't criticise you in any way but you're choosing to take it badly. My sympathies for the death in the family, that's always rough. Wasn't attacking you!

It's always been a slow process. Keep your pants on and don't be a jerk.