Character Rankings May 2015 Edition: The Results!

Options

Comments

• TOFU3
    TOFU3 Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    Sorry to digress for a moment, i would like to ask which 3* characters you guys may recommend to max before maxing a 4*?
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    TOFU3 wrote:
    Sorry to digress for a moment, i would like to ask which 3* characters you guys may recommend to max before maxing a 4*?

I'd suggest you get 6-10 3*s maxed before you max or significantly level a 4*, so you maintain sufficient roster depth to deal with PvE scaling. It also allows you sufficient 3* support for your 4*s.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest:
    Cyclops
    Kamala Khan
    Scarlet Witch
    3* Thor
    Iron Fist
    Luke Cage
    as some of the strongest 3*s (SW mostly for her purple acceleration). Pretty much all of those characters are AP generators/accelerators, which means they translate into useful supports for your 4*s.

I'd also suggest Loki and The Hood. There's a difference of opinion about whether you should level max them or not. Personally, I did, because their health is so lousy otherwise.

Other good options:
    Blade
    3* Cap (for PvE, he's slow in PvP)
    3* Mags
  • TOFU3
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    TOFU3 wrote:

I'd suggest you get 6-10 3*s maxed before you max or significantly level a 4*, so you maintain sufficient roster depth to deal with PvE scaling. It also allows you sufficient 3* support for your 4*s.

Off the top of my head, I'd suggest:
    Cyclops
    Kamala Khan
    Scarlet Witch
    3* Thor
    Iron Fist
    Luke Cage
    as some of the strongest 3*s (SW mostly for her purple acceleration). Pretty much all of those characters are AP generators/accelerators, which means they translate into useful supports for your 4*s.

I'd also suggest Loki and The Hood. There's a difference of opinion about whether you should level max them or not. Personally, I did, because their health is so lousy otherwise.

Other good options:
    Blade
    3* Cap (for PvE, he's slow in PvP)
    3* Mags
    I maxed my GSBW and 3*Thor(to make combos with PX)and CapA maxed .
    I also have 4*Thor, WFX and Nick Fury maxed. They did help me a lot in both PvP and PvE. But I just cant go further to get top ranks only with these 4*. I think that its time for me to put my resources to consolidate my 3* squad.
  • TOFU3 wrote:
    max 3* unless u can get a top tier 4* to 166(Prof X/Hulkb/Thing)
  • Honestly, its super simple, look at the tiering.

Sure there are slight shifts over time, but....
    3hor should be a top priority, even before any 4*.

Then you go down the list and find the 4* you have (say you have 9 Fury covers), then you should level...

3hor
    Ironfist
    Luke Cage
    Hood
    CMags
    CapA
    Patch
    Blade
    Cyclops
    Black Panther
    Daken

All of them...before you start dumping into Fury. Now the list is slowly out of date, Cyclops has climbed, Kamala Khan is still climbing, Laken is falling, depending on spoiler thread accuracy - CapA could fall due to a 4*, I 'feel' like Luke Cage is falling, etc...so there is room to cherry pick a few of those out or in, but that's the point of this exercise.
    - Unreall
  • Honestly, its super simple, look at the tiering.

Sure there are slight shifts over time, but....
    3hor should be a top priority, even before any 4*.

Then you go down the list and find the 4* you have (say you have 9 Fury covers), then you should level...

3hor
    Ironfist
    Luke Cage
    Hood
    CMags
    CapA
    Patch
    Blade
    Cyclops
    Black Panther
    Daken

All of them...before you start dumping into Fury. Now the list is slowly out of date, Cyclops has climbed, Kamala Khan is still climbing, Laken is falling, depending on spoiler thread accuracy - CapA could fall due to a 4*, I 'feel' like Luke Cage is falling, etc...so there is room to cherry pick a few of those out or in, but that's the point of this exercise.
    - Unreall
    after some research and gameplay, I'd say 3*thor is no longer necessary provided u level cage/kamala/etc. Basically, the "new class" of 3*. I hardly have a use for triplethor anymore.

Same could be said for hood...shift in the meta

Cap doesn't need levels

daken/BP/Patch hurt by health buff
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Agree with Raisin. I hardly use 3* Thor either now.

Hood can still be relevant, but you need some way of protecting him now. Without protection, he's more or less irrelevant at high level play.
  • nonnel
    nonnel Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Only max 3*s that are super useful. Otherwise save the ISO on marginally useful 3*s and only bring them to 120 or 140.

Super useful:
    Fist
    Cyke
    Cage
    mags
    Patch
    Daken
    Blade
    Hood
  • I understand and for the most part agree about the 'new' 3*s, HOWEVER, that's coming from a position of someone who has double digit 166s and double digits at 120, and doublt digits between 120 and 166. I'd be fully transitioned to 4*s if I had the covers.

If I'm transitioning, I want 'bang for buck' 3*s, well rounded 3*s that are great buffed or not and play well with others. In that situation I still think Thor is the best bet. You get 3 attacks, high health, and ap generation. It doesn't matter if he's boosted or not, he will help you win - at that stage. There is a reason that established 3*-4* and 4* players had PX over Thor, yet stepping down a level, Thor was over PX. He's pretty much CapA - too solid and too effective to ignore.

Again, I'm NOT saying he's not slowly being passed by, I used to skip him, now I have zero apprehension about fighting him, but if you were transitioning and only had one or two 3*s, Thor's going to be of the most value IMO. And if you are looking into maxing a 4*, there is still a good chance he is better than them hahaha.
    - Unreall
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    nonnel wrote:
    Only max 3*s that are super useful. Otherwise save the ISO on marginally useful 3*s and only bring them to 120 or 140.

Super useful:
    Fist
    Cyke
    Cage
    mags
    Patch
    Daken
    Blade
    Hood

Agree with most save for Magneto. Maybe I just have him built incorrectly at 5/5/3. That's fair. But I don't put him in the same group as the rest of these guys. I might even go as far as to swap him with Loki.
  • CMags plays so well with others and still does GREAT dmg all the while adding in high cascade potential. He's the best character fix I can think of.

If I was to craft a list of 3*s to build up for transitioning, or that you should have before transitioning to 4*...
    3hor (battery, health, one of if not the best yellows)
    CapA (big dmg, stun, returnable AP)
    CMags (dmg and shake-up)
    IF (battery, cheap AP for big dmg)
    Patch (Climb and bombing and ...err loki-ing?)

Would sum up my first group. IF BARELY makes this list. The logic is all of them are strong and serve a strong function @ 3* Land, but do 'something' effectively enough to still be in use with 4*s. IF is IMO the best 3* for working with 4*s, followed by SW, but she is WAY too niche to be of value for that list.

The second teir would be the sum of the stronger 3*s, characters who might fall out of favor at 4*, but dominate at 3* or when buffed
    Cage (his red looks nigh useless)
    Cyc (better red and black users, but red generation)
    KK (battery and healing with a mini Cts in her back pocket)
    Hood (One Hood deserves another)
    Blade (True Healing away from being broken, but gets eaten up by boardshakers and clearers)
    GSBW (battery with 'threat' of assault)
    SW (battery...just pretend her purple doesn't exist and let someone else use it)

That would be my overall advice for building a roster. But have the first part before going to 4, though swapping Cyc for CMags would work, and Hood is always welcome.
    - Unreall
  • TOFU3
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I am going to max some suggested 3* first while collecting 4* rosters covers in PvP progression rewards. Though I don't have full covered IF, Cage and SW(and hence i can't max them immediately), I am still gonna level up my CMag and the Hood first as advised. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • CMags plays so well with others and still does GREAT dmg all the while adding in high cascade potential. He's the best character fix I can think of.

If I was to craft a list of 3*s to build up for transitioning, or that you should have before transitioning to 4*...
    3hor (battery, health, one of if not the best yellows)
    CapA (big dmg, stun, returnable AP)
    CMags (dmg and shake-up)
    IF (battery, cheap AP for big dmg)
    Patch (Climb and bombing and ...err loki-ing?)

Would sum up my first group. IF BARELY makes this list. The logic is all of them are strong and serve a strong function @ 3* Land, but do 'something' effectively enough to still be in use with 4*s. IF is IMO the best 3* for working with 4*s, followed by SW, but she is WAY too niche to be of value for that list.

The second teir would be the sum of the stronger 3*s, characters who might fall out of favor at 4*, but dominate at 3* or when buffed
    Cage (his red looks nigh useless)
    Cyc (better red and black users, but red generation)
    KK (battery and healing with a mini Cts in her back pocket)
    Hood (One Hood deserves another)
    Blade (True Healing away from being broken, but gets eaten up by boardshakers and clearers)
    GSBW (battery with 'threat' of assault)
    SW (battery...just pretend her purple doesn't exist and let someone else use it)

That would be my overall advice for building a roster. But have the first part before going to 4, though swapping Cyc for CMags would work, and Hood is always welcome.
    - Unreall

I'd level true-healers unless I magically got my hands on a cage/kamala. These characters are your first steps to more sustainable PVE. Sadly they aren't relevant in PVP anymore(mostly).

Characters I'd level:

MUST LEVEL:

Blade
    Cyclops
    The Hulk
    Iron Fist
    Kamala Khan
    Luke Cage
    Scarlet Witch(really, really need her blue though)
    Patch

GENERALLY USEFUL CHARACTERS THAT DONT FIT ANY OTHER CATEGORY(or fit into lots):

Black Panther
    3*Steve
    3*Daken
    Daredevil
    Doom
    Falcon
    The Hulk
    3*Mag
    The Punisher
    Rocket & Groot
    Shulkie
    3*Thor
    Patch

4*CHARACTERS WHO'RE ACTUALLY WORTH THE ISO YOU'LL PUT INTO THEM WHEN COVERED:

Kingpin
    Ant-man(?)
    Carnage
    Iron-Man
    Jean Grey
    Professor X
    The Thing

IF I HAVE THE CORRECT COVERS:

X-Force
    4*Thor
    Deadpool

IF I HAVE SOMEONE ALREADY LEVELED THAT WILL PROTECT/PAIR WELL WITH THEM:

Beast
    Grey Suit Black Widow
    3*Carol
    Daredevil
    Falcon
    Gamora
    The Hood
    Loki
    Quicksilver
    Vision

I WILL ONLY PUT ISO INTO THIS CHARACTER BECAUSE PVP:

Shulkie

IF SOMEONE PUTS A GUN TO MY HEAD, I WILL LEVEL:

Grey Suit Black Widow
    Colossus
    Doc Ock
    Gamora
    3*Torch
    Mystique
    Psylocke
    Quicksilver
    Sentry
    Spider-man
    Squirrel Girl

I'VE LEVELED EVERYONE IN THE GAME. I NEED SOMEONE ELSE TO LEVEL:

3*Bullseye
    Starlord
    Nick Fury
    Loki
    Squirrel Girl
    3*Storm

BONUS CHARACTERS WHO FUNCTION(in PVE mostly, but sometimes PVP) WITHOUT ISO:

Falcon
    The Hood
    3*Iron Man
    3*Storm
    Loki
    Professor X
    TOFU3 wrote:
    Thanks for the advice! icon_e_biggrin.gif
    I am going to max some suggested 3* first while collecting 4* rosters covers in PvP progression rewards. Though I don't have full covered IF, Cage and SW(and hence i can't max them immediately), I am still gonna level up my CMag and the Hood first as advised. icon_mrgreen.gif
    sounds like a plan. added my thoughts above.
    Substrike2 wrote:
    Hi all! Just yesterday the game crashed on me while I was doing the Lightning Round with Loki event thing. Are there any of you out there who are having the same problem? icon_rolleyes.gif

wrong thread?
  • ThePants
    ThePants Posts: 15 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is a great post and very helpful, thank you.. Does anyone know if there is a more up-to-date character ranking here or somewhere else? I know there have been numerous new heroes since this original post.
  • ThePants wrote:
    This is a great post and very helpful, thank you.. Does anyone know if there is a more up-to-date character ranking here or somewhere else? I know there have been numerous new heroes since this original post.
    Looking at the gap between post, I doubt anything is happening anytime soon. Its a HUGE task, and honestly with the number of 4*s to pop up, Silver Surfer, the incoming 5* (I'm thinking its either Void or Phoenix, most likely Phx/Dark Phx) - we might be better served waiting another couple of months before even thinking of redoing something like this as the meta could go through some huge shifts between now and then. Hell something as simple as the Beast PvP could alter rankings (I'm actually getting excited about that since I've thrown ISO into mine...just need to build a team for him...). As well, the 5*s are going to screw the meta game up so much, that who knows what direction things are truly going.
    - Unreall
  • position 7, captain america steve rogers. It says its a 3 star, but in game it appears as a 2 star ?
    Or do you mean super soldier (steve rogers) ?
  • Frasaria wrote:
    position 7, captain america steve rogers. It says its a 3 star, but in game it appears as a 2 star ?
    Or do you mean super soldier (steve rogers) ?
    I think they changed the names around when they introduced FalCap
    - Unreall
  • I'm surprised 2* Captain America is so low. He's crucial for winning in PvE against countdown spawners. He's also a huge help against Galactus.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,368 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While his powers can save you from a few countdowns, they are on the expensive side (11 red, 12 blue) and once spent it takes 3 turns for the AP to return (if you're lucky enough that they're not matched or destroyed). So if you're really being spammed it's fighting a losing battle.
  • 2* Cap is low because (1) he is a two star, (2) he's high AP for what he can do, (3) 3* Cap makes him unplayable (just like Patch and 2* Wolvie), and (4) he lacks the two benefits of 3* Cap that in short make 3* Cap good - the high dmg red is 'meh' @ 2* - others have done the math, I won't try to redo it, and the blue doesn't leave the substantial protect.
    - Unreall