Avengers Vs. Ultron

Options

Comments

• Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Oldboy wrote:
    Can one of the devs confirm that once we kill Ultron in Round 8 the main Ultron sub disappears? Other alliance members cannot gain progression points?

This is a pretty big deal as it means a number of people in many alliances will be prevented from earning the progression rewards.

How many alliances have defeated Ultron? Is this your experience as well?

It seems like a pretty big deal, until you realize the progression rewards at that level are Quicksilver covers.

True. It doesn't seem like a pretty big deal when you realize it's QS covers but when the next Ultron event gives out Scarlet Witch as progression rewards, it does seem a pretty big deal. (And of course it applies to future runs of this event if there are more)

And, except for Beast, i believe all characters have their uses. Especially when boosted QS and Spidey took out 1.5 waves by themselves and had almost full health at the end icon_e_smile.gif
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am having the worst damn luck with token pulls. A million points and one usable draw (other than the QS/SW guaranteed rewards, of course) -- and it's my fifth Luke Cage black, which was going to come around in DDQ this weekend anyway. Demiurge, you trolls!
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    I am having the worst damn luck with token pulls. A million points and one usable draw (other than the QS/SW guaranteed rewards, of course) -- and it's my fifth Luke Cage black, which was going to come around in DDQ this weekend anyway. Demiurge, you trolls!

Look on the bright side, at least you got a gold. I've had 19 ultron tokens, all 2 star covers. icon_cry.gif
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options

Not worst than me, only 2 cardpack.png with the rest just standard star.pngstar.pngicon_e_sad.gif
  • LFChikarason
    LFChikarason Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I wish I was keeping track of all the Ultron tokens I got, but so far, my only gold was for 3500 ISO icon_e_sad.gif
  • TheDrStrange
    TheDrStrange Posts: 89 Match Maker
    Options
    I've pulled a few three star or higher from my packs. This event is pretty hardcore. I haven't been playing too long, and most of my alliance is the same. We're probably going to get through Level 5, but that's about it. I wish it wasn't so tough.
  • W4LAndre
    W4LAndre Posts: 73 Match Maker
    Options
    Mavrek32 wrote:
    What are you guys rockin against the big man himself?

At round 6, I'm going 50/50 with Patch/Loki/XXX. It is really the luck of the draw for me, and if Illusions works in my favor or not.

I've been having good luck with XF, LCap, and GSBW. I've never found a good time to use GSBW prior to this. She hides behind XF's green and Cap's red, only moving to the front when I have to match purple. Sniper rifle is expensive but really useful if you can get it off. I try to map out the reticle to take out as many drops as possible. Damage hits for around 3000+. The only issue is trying to heal wolverine after tanking for all that green. Even with plenty of upper board yellow, the damn thing almost always goes to one of the bottom 3, that gets frustrating. Pistol is my emergency drop killer if it comes to that, but SSA is the go to red move. So far my alliance is in round 7 and I haven't lost against Ultron yet.

ps, Luke Cage and OBW have been awesome in essentials for me. They don't always rainbow but even without being boosted for the event my 94 OBW does a great job keeping everyone alive so Luke can make the most of punching the **** about of the goonbots. Plus the bots always have plenty of AP of all colors for OBW to steal.
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Mavrek32 wrote:
    What are you guys rockin against the big man himself?

At round 6, I'm going 50/50 with Patch/Loki/XXX. It is really the luck of the draw for me, and if Illusions works in my favor or not.
    I had the good fortune of having a 2/5/5 IW before the buff and pumped some levels into her and have been going LCap, IW and either Cage/Cyc depending on health. Cage is better for damage mitigation on stray match 3's and non-board dependent single shot of damage but they work interchangeably.

However, 7 AP to lock down 4 of the suckers, yes plz. It builds up bombs and potentially backfires but haven't wiped in any round yet.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    orbitalint wrote:
    I had the good fortune of having a 2/5/5 IW before the buff and pumped some levels into her and have been going LCap, IW and either Cage/Cyc depending on health. Cage is better for damage mitigation on stray match 3's and non-board dependent single shot of damage but they work interchangeably.

However, 7 AP to lock down 4 of the suckers, yes plz. It builds up bombs and potentially backfires but haven't wiped in any round yet.

For Quick Silvers 2 essential nodes, I've been fielding an aoe team of QS/IW (w/ 5 blue) and She Hulk. I focus on collection blue and red aps. When I have 7 blue and there's an available blue match on the board, I use IW blue to spam 4 lockdown tiles on the board, and then make the blue match to trigger QS aoe explosion. Sometimes I managed to accumulate enough black to insert a blue match, and then trigger she hulk red on the same turn. QS green is also an effective knockout punch if he is at a decent level.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Wait, what rounds are giving SW covers? 6,7,8? I'm been searching through the threads, but it's a lot of vitriol to wade through. I know we've got the QS progression rewards but not clear on where the SW covers show up for sure (aside from the lucky cardpack.png pulls)
  • Wait, what rounds are giving SW covers? 6,7,8? I'm been searching through the threads, but it's a lot of vitriol to wade through. I know we've got the QS progression rewards but not clear on where the SW covers show up for sure (aside from the lucky cardpack.png pulls)

Yup, 6-7-8. You can see them as node rewards even when the nodes are locked, I think.
  • blinktag
    blinktag Posts: 157 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So, this may sound a bit odd, but the best char I've found for the Ultron Prime battles is .... 1* hawkeye. I prime him with 2x red/(yellow) and 2x purple/(blue). In 60–80% of the battles, I can use his abilities to stop every bomb until I build up enough juice in the other char's abilities to drop a ton of damage. (I'm backing him up w/ Luke Cage 3/5/5, and Deadpool 5/5/3). Admittedly, Deadpool isn't a great choice, because of the power color overlap.

In any case, my standout hero for Ultron Prime is ... icon_hawkeye.png
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Wait, what rounds are giving SW covers? 6,7,8? I'm been searching through the threads, but it's a lot of vitriol to wade through. I know we've got the QS progression rewards but not clear on where the SW covers show up for sure (aside from the lucky cardpack.png pulls)

Yup, 6-7-8. You can see them as node rewards even when the nodes are locked, I think.

Indeed you can! Thanks!

However I doubt our Alliance will even finish round 6 icon_e_sad.gif We're currently in Round 5 and Ultron is at 1.6 M. We might *get* to Round 6, but barring a massive upsurge in Alliance activity I don't see us downing him.

I've been lucky enough to pull 2 SW purpleflag.png covers from tokens, so that's nice, but I'm guessing in the next event those 6,7,8 rewards are going to be Hulkbuster covers. It's enough to make me consider bailing on my friends and joining up with a more active group.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I feel you Aramis. My alliance has a bit over 2 million to go on Round 6, but most of the other active players are in Europe which means the last refresh will go to waste.

At least most of the contributors have gotten a Scarlet Witch from prize tokens.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    blinktag wrote:
    So, this may sound a bit odd, but the best char I've found for the Ultron Prime battles is .... 1* hawkeye. I prime him with 2x red/(yellow) and 2x purple/(blue). In 60–80% of the battles, I can use his abilities to stop every bomb until I build up enough juice in the other char's abilities to drop a ton of damage. (I'm backing him up w/ Luke Cage 3/5/5, and Deadpool 5/5/3). Admittedly, Deadpool isn't a great choice, because of the power color overlap.

In any case, my standout hero for Ultron Prime is ... icon_hawkeye.png

I thought about picking up a Hawkeye again for this event.

For the regular Ultron battle, I've been running a team of SW, 2hor, and KK.

I drew two hexbolt covers and paid to upgrade SW to her third cover to help break enemy tiles in the sentry nodes. For the AP cost and the minimal random AP returned (and not drained), hex bolt seems pretty useless. If I've got that much green saved up, there are a lot better ways to gain AP, deal damage, or shake the board.

So... while SW is totally useless, she can sure take a punch with the big level boost they gave her for the event. She also covers pretty much all of my heroes in three colors at level 150+ and lands decent attack damage when called upon to do so.

Thor is just a monster. Just match everything you can to break the bombs as they fall and just before one is going to hit the ground, unleash hell.

Then KK uses her Purple to make 4/5+ match combos on the green.

Unless you are getting a huge run of bad luck, you should be able to just Red, Red, Yellow, Yellow, Stretch, Stretch, Green, Green, Dead.

If you do need to absorb bomb damage, that's why you brought Scarlet Witch, for her 8K in damage absorb. If you can't, 2hor has almost 9K Hit Points and KK will go into heal spasm when you start launching your Thor attacks.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Punisher has become my MVP in the Ultron bomb fights. All I need to do is get Ultron down to 40% health and then bam, he's dead. Take Punisher along with someone to tank any bombs that reach the bottom and/or someone who can control the board and I'm good. Usually.

I'm also getting far too much amusement out of taking Bagman to that fight. He's not just taking up a roster slot to fulfill my completionist tendencies anymore, he's actual useful in a very niche situation! Hulk, Punisher, and Bagman have gotten me through the last couple of fights in round 8.
  • AnonymousMPQ
    AnonymousMPQ Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I been using guys that have enough hit points to take 2-3 bomb hits, then random cascades keep hitting my guys below the bomb threshold (my highest guy is maxed 2* Thor). Rather surprised I'm holding my on at Round 7. I doubt, if my alliance makes it to round 8, I'll have any characters that can survive more than one hit besides Thor.

icon_e_sad.gif
  • clay_peterson
    clay_peterson Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Our alliance finished tonight. Top 7 or so got all the progression awards. I didn't realize the sub would close once we finished number 8, so I kept attacking for a while. I may have prevented someone from getting a cover... feel bad about that.

My all-team for the main Ultron node was Patch/LCap/MNMags. Boost 2 blue/purples. Mags' purple feeds Cap's red and blue, which take out the bombs. (Purple is also decent for clearing rows as necessary.) Patch's green makes the battle go real quick, especially if Cap's red comes after. Never lost a match with these three.

I found board shakers (Loki, Xforce, et al) too much of a gamble. For every time they got rid of a bomb, they knocked one down to the bottom.

For the goon rounds, Spidey was my all-star, with Cage next. You need easy shielding, and then most of the goon attacks do negligible damage. Spidey/Patch/*essential* left me walking away with barely a scratch most of the time. (Spidey's yellow helped.)

Although if the essential was BW or Hulk, I would pair them up together, and add Spidey. Purple shields and GSBW uses it to make green... then blows the **** out of everyone with Sniper Rifle. Her red is good at clearing enemy tiles too. Hulk soaks up damage, although with the shields he rarely gets Angry.

Gained some respect for Quicksilver, at least his black. It's pretty easy to use it to make some favorable matches. Blue triggered a lot, since I collected it for Spidey's stuns. Damage was poor, but of course he's not fully covered/leveled.

All-in-all, a real fun event. Would play again... What's that? Tomorrow, you say? Oh D3, never change.
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    This event i got 4 SW covers. 2 from the Ultron Prime fights and 2 from tokens. this is the best turnout for a new character in any release. Also got QS black, which makes him better to bring in to Ultron fights since you have a Hail Mary to potentially make a match and clear a bomb. without that black, he wasnt very useful...

we are almost about to close the last round of Ultron, so i may get that last cover, but i am very happy with how this turned out. Also pretty sure i got some other good covers from tokens, but the last few days have been a blur.
  • jackstar0
    jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been traveling for the past week, and only able to play in this sparingly, but I wanted to say that the Puzzle in the game's title actually feels legit in the Ultron levels. Kinda great. Don't even mind running this twice.