**** Iron Man (Hulkbuster) ****

Options

Comments

• IlDuderino
    IlDuderino Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Possibly the answer is don't bother but I have the HP saved to buy three covers that would bring Hulkbuster to 5/3/1 or 3/5/1.

I would think that without 5 red HB is unusable but I have a max Iron Fist and Blade and imagine his strike tiles are quite powerful with attack tiles and so wonder if maxing black is, though this seems highly unlikely, better - any thoughts?
  • Unknown
    Options
    IlDuderino wrote:
    Possibly the answer is don't bother but I have the HP saved to buy three covers that would bring Hulkbuster to 5/3/1 or 3/5/1.

I would think that without 5 red HB is unusable but I have a max Iron Fist and Blade and imagine his strike tiles are quite powerful with attack tiles and so wonder if maxing black is, though this seems highly unlikely, better - any thoughts?
    dont buy hulkbuster covers they might nerf
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I expect they nerf Carnage and/or PX before HB.

I bought covers with saved HP to get to 4/2/2, then drew a red the next day (thus wasting 2500 HP since red is the season reward), then used the steam sale to go to 5/5/3. I see HB everywhere, in part because he goes well with 3*'s - I see lots in sim where he's matched with both Cyc/IF to speed up his red/black.

The only reason I worry about an HB nerf is I see more of him than any other 4* recently....but that also might be because they put out an event where people could actually -obtain- all three covers, so more covers given to all = easier to pay for the covers = more of that 4* out there. The other reason I'd worry about it is the only other covers I ever used HP to buy were Xforce....

He has a ton of health and a strong attack, like GT does. But unlike her he has no stun, and you can somewhat easily deny him by taking/stealing red. Like GT he's a scarecrow due to health, not necessarily due to amazing abilities.
  • Unknown
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    I expect they nerf Carnage and/or PX before HB.

I bought covers with saved HP to get to 4/2/2, then drew a red the next day (thus wasting 2500 HP since red is the season reward), then used the steam sale to go to 5/5/3. I see HB everywhere, in part because he goes well with 3*'s - I see lots in sim where he's matched with both Cyc/IF to speed up his red/black.

The only reason I worry about an HB nerf is I see more of him than any other 4* recently....but that also might be because they put out an event where people could actually -obtain- all three covers, so more covers given to all = easier to pay for the covers = more of that 4* out there. The other reason I'd worry about it is the only other covers I ever used HP to buy were Xforce....

He has a ton of health and a strong attack, like GT does. But unlike her he has no stun, and you can somewhat easily deny him by taking/stealing red. Like GT he's a scarecrow due to health, not necessarily due to amazing abilities.
    Yes prof x/hulkbuster deserve nerfs

it's unclear whether Carnage deserves a nerf or rework however
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    The only reason I worry about an HB nerf is I see more of him than any other 4* recently....

While this is true, I don't see him much, and certainly don't see him on every darn team like you did with Sentry/Hood or 4Thor/XForce. There's some Fistbusters out there, but they're often well mixed among other teams.
  • Unknown
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    The only reason I worry about an HB nerf is I see more of him than any other 4* recently....

While this is true, I don't see him much, and certainly don't see him on every darn team like you did with Sentry/Hood or 4Thor/XForce. There's some Fistbusters out there, but they're often well mixed among other teams.

Hood and Sentry are 3*, and they gave us tons of time to earn XThor covers with the first 3 seasons 4Thor was out being focused on her. It seems to be a matter of time, separating the whales from the PVP cover grinders.
  • Unknown
    Options
    daibar wrote:
    SnowcaTT wrote:

Hood and Sentry are 3*, and they gave us tons of time to earn XThor covers with the first 3 seasons 4Thor was out being focused on her. It seems to be a matter of time, separating the whales from the PVP cover grinders.

Even Cover Grinders should have a 5/x/x usable 220 IMHB by now. I mean they gave out 2-3 in Ultron (lets face it, 2), plus tokens, plus 1-5 in his release PvE plus 1 in a Gauntlet, plus 2 progression rewards so far, plus alliance reward in like 4 days. He has been pimped out pretty hard.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    Even Cover Grinders should have a 5/x/x usable 220 IMHB by now. I mean they gave out 2-3 in Ultron (lets face it, 2), plus tokens, plus 1-5 in his release PvE plus 1 in a Gauntlet, plus 2 progression rewards so far, plus alliance reward in like 4 days. He has been pimped out pretty hard.
    Cover grinder here and mine is only 3/4/4. I have bad token luck. I got a blue about a week ago and everything else has been earned. No one has a 5/X/X IMHB without either purchasing covers or sacrificing a goat.
  • Ebolamonkey84
    Ebolamonkey84 Posts: 509 Critical Contributor
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    Cover grinder here and mine is only 3/4/4. I have bad token luck. I got a blue about a week ago and everything else has been earned. No one has a 5/X/X IMHB without either purchasing covers or sacrificing a goat.

DId he have a separate PVE release besides the Ultron event? I thought that was it. Mine will be 5/4/3 after this season is done.
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DId he have a separate PVE release besides the Ultron event? I thought that was it. Mine will be 5/4/3 after this season is done.

Yep, he did have that. It was a run of Enemy of the State... icon_e_ugeek.gif

(Link: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=28768)
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Reading this thread, it seems that the general consensus is that the best build is 5/5/3, an offensive build.

I just won my first red cover in Falcon PvP ( icon_e_biggrin.gif ) and now my IMHB is 1/2/5:
    with Ultron and token pulls I have been especially lucky with his blue covers.
    So I still need 5 covers but it seems that RNG gods want me to try a defensive build with a maxed blue power.

Could it be valuable icon_question.gif
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    vudu3 wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:

0/1/5. I've even had to sell two Blue covers.

He's just a big battery at this point, so when I use him it is with someone who needs a lot of red.

I've been having a lot of fun with Cyc (5/4/4)+166 PX(5/3/5)+IMHB (0/1/5). Problem is, if you bothered to look on O against that team, you know that you just need to take out Cyclops and that shuts down the damage output from the rest of the team. As a result, I'm thinking I need to take Prof X out when I'm finished climbing.

On the other hand, PX gets a few chances to fire off Master Plan so long as you just chase yellow and blue. Fire both on the same turn to create 14 red tiles = a pretty good chance of triggering Master Plan. Unfortunately, Master Plan is just going to create Red AP (or blue AP if PX is all that is left)... Cyc dies and you're sitting on a huge pile of useless Red Ap (and of course about as much damage as an optic blast).

I was thinking of throwing in my 3/3/5 lvl 166 Carnage instead, which means that you can't just kill off Scott and nerf the party. You have to try and deny Red/Yellow/Black/Blue/Green, and failing to deny Red/Yellow/Blue will lead to red generation, SymbiScy or Optic Blasts.

Of course, if I had some damn repulsor punch covers I would be able to just leave PX in the party and dare you to leave hulkbuster for last.
  • Buret0
    Buret0 Posts: 1,591
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    Reading this thread, it seems that the general consensus is that the best build is 5/5/3, an offensive build.

I just won my first red cover in Falcon PvP ( icon_e_biggrin.gif ) and now my IMHB is 1/2/5:
    with Ultron and token pulls I have been especially lucky with his blue covers.
    So I still need 5 covers but it seems that RNG gods want me to try a defensive build with a maxed blue power.

Could it be valuable icon_question.gif

My answer is in the post above. I still suggest bringing him in as a battery back-up for another red power user.
  • DrNitroman
    DrNitroman Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Buret0 wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:
    <snip>

My answer is in the post above. I still suggest bringing him in as a battery back-up for another red power user.

Thanks! icon_e_smile.gif
    More generally, I was wondering how valuable would be a maxed defensive build (with 5 blue)
    I suppose a 5/3/5 build (4/4/5 doesn't seem very appealing at first glance).
    Such a build may be suboptimal compared to the offensive 5/5/3: without maxed black power, one may fire his red less often. However, he will be a huge tank for the team.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2015
    Options
    DrNitroman wrote:
    Buret0 wrote:
    DrNitroman wrote:
    <snip>

Thanks! icon_e_smile.gif
    More generally, I was wondering how valuable would be a maxed defensive build (with 5 blue)
    I suppose a 5/3/5 build (4/4/5 doesn't seem very appealing at first glance).
    Such a build may be suboptimal compared to the offensive 5/5/3: without maxed black power, one may fire his red less often. However, he will be a huge tank for the team.

The problem is that even at 5, his blue isn't great defensively (3 matches for 3 tiles that won't even negate all match damage against overleveled opponents). The way I see it, imhb can be useful as a red battery, but he only really becomes too tier in PvP with the offensive 5/5/3 build. 5 red makes the damage output worthwhile, and 5 black makes the self accelleration more efficient and provides some superstrong strike tiles to end matches quickly.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    The problem is that even at 5, his blue isn't great offensively (3 matches for 3 tiles that won't even negate all match damage against overleveled opponents). The way I see it, imhb can be useful as a red battery, but he only really becomes too tier in PvP with the offensive 5/5/3 build. 5 red makes the damage output worthwhile, and 5 black makes the self accelleration more efficient and provides some superstrong strike tiles to end matches quickly.

The value of 5 blue goes beyond the red ap generation, but that it can generate cascades. When you pair him with Cyclops, the two of them can generate huge cascades. The blue protect tile is just a bonus to me.

Having said that, 5 black is still the better build, simply because it's a no brainer and AI can pilot it perfectly.
  • Unknown
    Options
    At risk of flogging the obvious.. Given we know matchmaking in this game is done with the quality exhibited by a farm of e-z bake ovens, and we all know that you can have 2 primary characters covering most colors with a third outlier in the form of hulkbuster..

The repulsor punch of hulkbuster is obscenely overpowered. in the shield simulator mode, more than once, I've been nailed by a couple of 3 star 166ers with a jacked up hulkbuster who served up 1 shot 1 kill moves with his repulsor punch.

So it is really laudable (lol) when as a supposedly on the level software company stacks the deck whereby a guy who spends the bulk of his time and probably some of his money supporting the game, gets his **** kicked thanks to a combination of unbalanced characters and matchmaking on par with the computing power of a commodore vic 20.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2015
    Options
    At risk of flogging the obvious.. Given we know matchmaking in this game is done with the quality exhibited by a farm of e-z bake ovens, and we all know that you can have 2 primary characters covering most colors with a third outlier in the form of hulkbuster..

The repulsor punch of hulkbuster is obscenely overpowered. in the shield simulator mode, more than once, I've been nailed by a couple of 3 star 166ers with a jacked up hulkbuster who served up 1 shot 1 kill moves with his repulsor punch.

So it is really laudable (lol) when as a supposedly on the level software company stacks the deck whereby a guy who spends the bulk of his time and probably some of his money supporting the game, gets his **** kicked thanks to a combination of unbalanced characters and matchmaking on par with the computing power of a commodore vic 20.

He's definitely a strong character, but this is a little much. There are lots of characters that can ruin your day if they get a lucky cascade. No idea why the presence of a strong character suggests that demiurge isn't on the level.

And atomized: You are right that cascades are good. But I file that under the "he;s good as a battery" heading. It's a useful feature, but there are better ways to get cascades, and as we agree, black is generally the better build.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Can the OP add a build poll please?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    in the shield simulator mode, more than once, I've been nailed by a couple of 3 star 166ers with a jacked up hulkbuster who served up 1 shot 1 kill moves with his repulsor punch.
    Are you using Hood or Loki? Otherwise, this is a little hard to figure. The AI doesn't hoard AP, and a 9AP repulsor punch does 5k and change... ie way less damage per AP than Carnage's red. Does that mean Carnage is super-duper obscenely OP?

How much damage per AP should HB be doing? Less than characters like Cyclops, Deadpool and Khan? Because as it is, he's not any better.