*** Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) ***

Options

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Has anyone with a "testing" account tried him with Rags and MnMags. That's about as much blue acceleration as you can get in this game (plus Mags purple also helps Rags red).
  • I'm honestly starting to feel 535 might be his best build. I've managed to activate the damage part on his blue exactly twice so far.

I suppose in his PvP, blue's damage will activate more often, but under normal conditions, getting to 5 locked tiles is very rough.
    I guess the best argument for x5x then becomes that he's so bad, you will never use him outside his featured event.
  • I think people are a bit too fixtiated on his bubble mechanics or the fact that he has the name 'quick' on his name. It seems to me he's more suited for a long game where you can swap/crit multiple times and have enough time to wait for at least a couple bubbles up to not have to pay the full cost. It's kind of like this MTG puzzle in DOTP where you've a bunch of creatures with Exalted (gets bonus when attack alone) but you can never beat the puzzle if you attack with only one creature no matter what you did, and the solution was simply attack with everything. Well, so far I haven't gotten any use out of him in the essentials but that's hardly surprising with X Force covering green and black.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The Kingpin fully covered loaner node was awesome, could finish the node in under a minute. The fully covered Quicksilver node is still underwhelming at best. In fact I push him out to eat the pistols and Deadpool's red, try to get him downed fast, so that Groot and Thor can get on with it after that. He's good for that for me right now.
  • He's so bad, that he might just get a buff soon!

or not...
  • Xenoberyll
    Xenoberyll Posts: 647 Critical Contributor
    Options
    puppychow wrote:
    Quick Silver currently is a very situational character, like a Doc Ock or Falcon.

nah, Doc Ock and Falcon are situational because they're good in some situations. Quicksilver never really is.

Quicksilver is so bad, Bob the Builder said I CAN'T fix THIS icon_e_wink.gif
  • more suited for a long game icon_question.gif
    where you can swap/crit multiple times icon_question.gif
    have enough time to wait icon_question.gif
    UbJfSOC.jpg
  • Quicksilver's so bad he was late for work this morning because he didn't even have enough locked blue tiles to get his **** out of bed on time.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I think people are a bit too fixtiated on his bubble mechanics or the fact that he has the name 'quick' on his name. It seems to me he's more suited for a long game where you can swap/crit multiple times and have enough time to wait for at least a couple bubbles up to not have to pay the full cost.

I get what you're saying but as what raziel777 says

s
    raziel777 wrote:
    more suited for a long game icon_question.gif
    where you can swap/crit multiple times icon_question.gif
    have enough time to wait icon_question.gif
    UbJfSOC.jpg

It's Quicksilver! Isn't it strange to have a speedster character with slow and weak abilities? And for someone who moves fast, he sure gets in the way. His locked tiles have prevented me from matching desired matches a number of times.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If he ever gets buffed, one of the first things that needs to be addressed is his locked tiles going only on T-U tiles. That's what makes it so hard to get to 5. As anyone who has tried to keep red tiles on the board for Blade can attest, that only makes them eventually get aligned to be all cleared away in a 4 or 5-match
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 463 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I just played a round where he made it impossible to match three different sets of countdown tiles. Is there any use case, except the theoretical Scarlet Witch synergy people are talking about, where he might be remotely useful?
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    If he ever gets buffed, one of the first things that needs to be addressed is his locked tiles going only on T-U tiles. That's what makes it so hard to get to 5. As anyone who has tried to keep red tiles on the board for Blade can attest, that only makes them eventually get aligned to be all cleared away in a 4 or 5-match
    Not to mention that the AI is deadset on matching TU tiles like they are gold.

I got to activate the TU tile explosion today, pretty neat, but as was mentioned earlier, I had to choose blue over other matches I would have preferred for active abilities, and the bad guys were already half dead from match damage.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah not only does he suck, with the current characters available, he doesn't play a speedsters game. Even if he did small amounts of damage often or locked the and slowed down the board for your opponent then ok...

I'm guess what they figured is he'd slow down gameplay for others because they wouldn't want to match blues. Maybe if he only had to match 2 or 3... but 5 icon_lol.gif

Then he uses to great colors with green and black.

Yeah nope...
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Quicksilver is so bad that the goons will match Blue tiles for him out of pity.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quicksilver is so bad that they have posthumously renamed Michael Jackon's "Bad" album to Quicksilver.

"And The Whole World Has To
    Answer Right Now
    Just To Tell You Once Again,
    Who's Quicksilver . . ."
  • A post-release nerf probably costs Demiurge thousands of dollars in man hours, meetings, support etc... As opposed to releasing strong characters who HAVE to be nerfed, it's easier to release a mediocre character.

I too have been finding Quicksilver more useful once you get 3 bubbles on board. Blue is generally a finisher as the other 2 characters are probably dead by then. I've had it hit all 3 characters exactly once, and even then it wasn't close to full damage, simply because I couldn't rely on it as the source of damage; I just got lucky with blue drops.

With MNMags, at best it's like you're spending 9 purple to make 3 blue matches, and these matches are suboptimal, eg, they don't give you crits, line clears.
    MNMags+Quicksilver+Cyclops? As a side, I think it's funny how underrated MNMags was until Mystique came out. Now I find he's very slightly overrated.

Quicksilver: only good in a slow match.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He's so bad, the scaling on my PvE essential nodes hasn't gone up.
  • I've got one major issue, after you get 5 locked tiles and 'activate', they ALL go away, meaning after doing ALL that work, you have to do it ALL again. We are talking essentially a 15 AP move that is based around luck. If the damage won't scale based on blue AP in the tank, you might as well just pick BP or 3hor to get even MORE damage for the same number or fewer matches.
    -Unreall
  • Quicksilver is so bad, he's been renamed...

The Developer
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    Sash wrote:
    ...I'm curious to see how he would be in synergy with IW in practice.
    At the moment he pops her locked tiles, but she doesn't touch his.

His Supersonic blueflag.png passive says: more than 4 locked tiles = damage activation - it works with Sue's bubbles as they are, in effect, locked tiles.

Sue's greenflag.png Force field Crush says: shatters tiles surrounding 2 bubbles, and does not count Quicksilvers locked tiles as - they are not bubbles.

This may change after the upcoming D-Day of 17/4 though.

I just tried teaming up IW and QS yesterday during my pve grind. And let's say the result wasn't pretty. Here's the problem. Sue's locked tiles count toward the 4 that allows QS to pop them on the next blue match. So in essence, if you use Sue's ability to place lock tiles on the board, the NEXT BLUE MATCH (intentional or accidental) will cause the tiles to pop. HOWEVER, while the locked TU tiles disappearance off the boards, Sue's bubbles REMAIN ON THE BOARD. The QS explosion simply removes the bubble. So. . . if you used Sue's bubbles to lock dangerous goon CD tiles, guess what? those are gonna go off. In addition, if you're facing Hood his intimidation will cause the counter to drop by one. That means even if the CD tile is locked, the intimidation will still cause the effect to go off. Hopefully that's not a tommy gun. icon_e_surprised.gif

IW's green ability is not particularly useful either, because you don't know WHERE the normal tile popping wlll occur. Hopefully it's not taking out Sue's yel invisibility tile (and this did happen to me btw).

I'm looking forward to seeing how Sue's post change abilities will interact with QS's. Her blue will be much easier to trigger. Should be fun. icon_cool.gif