*** Quicksilver (Pietro Maximoff) ***

Options

Comments

• Anyone know how quicksilver is supposed to work? I used him in PvE when I had to, against 115 level mobs led by The Hood.
    I used a 220/166 xforce/ thor, then 166/166 blade/cap, and got slaughtered both times. Every time quicksilver locked a tile, I couldn't get matches. They never 'exploded', and I had about six or seven on the board, totally disabling my gameplay.

It was laughable. I could easily have defeated the enemy if he had just gone home before I even started, but his presence got me killed, twice. Any ideas before I sell him? He seems to really suck.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The Hood nodes are the worst. They are more about downing Hood before he just gets all Twin Pistols happy. Just use who you can to take him out the fastest and then pair with another who can deal with goons.
  • Don't sell him even if he sucks and makes you lose otherwise winnable matches (LOL). You will likely need him in the new event that R74 provided backend support for.
  • DJSquiggy
    DJSquiggy Posts: 97 Match Maker
    Options
    Has anyone seen this yet? I had a crit tile on the board, cast his green, and no second crit tile. His crit spawned on my existing crit.

Aint dat some crit? Can we exclude existing crit tiles from his green please?
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    if you want the blue to deal damage and unlock the TU tiles (after having a few of them on the board) I think you have to match the blue yourself. If AI match it, it just adds another locked TU tile.
  • Twombley wrote:
    Anyone know how quicksilver is supposed to work?
    I don't even think the devs know how Bagsilver works, lol....
  • He works like Beast has since he was introduced: he takes up space in your roster, and is occasionally required, at which point, even hyper-boosted, he'll still be useless.

Look, they're finally making Beast usable. Someone had to take his place.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If the enemy is able to match blue without triggering the attack, that might be a bug. I also saw in the Quicksilver thread that someone overwrote their own crit with a crit, which would also probably be a bug. Definitely a good idea to not buy covers for this character until a couple weeks after release to make sure that there are no announcements of current bugs. On the topic of on how Quicksilver is supposed to be used? I've been using him in PvE with LCap and Falcon. The build up of blue has two beneficial effects as I go for LCaps stun.
  • thbrown81
    thbrown81 Posts: 61 Match Maker
    Options
    Twombley wrote:
    Anyone know how quicksilver is supposed to work? I used him in PvE when I had to, against 115 level mobs led by The Hood.
    I used a 220/166 xforce/ thor, then 166/166 blade/cap, and got slaughtered both times. Every time quicksilver locked a tile, I couldn't get matches. They never 'exploded', and I had about six or seven on the board, totally disabling my gameplay.

It was laughable. I could easily have defeated the enemy if he had just gone home before I even started, but his presence got me killed, twice. Any ideas before I sell him? He seems to really suck.

Enemy matches blue, your QS locks the TU tile and blocks the match 5 green you were about to get to fire XForce. AI Hood kills your XForce on next move with Twin Pistols.
  • ballingbees
    ballingbees Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    To make matters worse, he locks TU tiles that the AI would otherwise be happy to match.
    Now the AI will actually match colour tiles that will hurt/deny you.

I think his mechanic is to encourage the player, when playing against him, to match TU tiles to remove the locked ones, so as to avoid his passive. In other words, to make TU tiles actually appealing to match. But don't think it came out right.
  • Aidonis
    Aidonis Posts: 87 Match Maker
    Options
    My lord, he's amazing with Daredevil...am I the only one that got this memo?

Being able to match Ambush at will is **** amazing folks.
  • Sure, he has some minor synergy with Daredevil, but you can only swap basic tiles, which means if the DD trap is by itself and there's no match 4 that will hit it, you need to make 2 swaps for 14 black AP. Not to mention sometimes the locked tiles will block access to you matching the DD trap. I rather generate a bunch of red tiles onto the board to match the DD traps.

If you are using swaps as a synergy with traps, you could go with Fury and either "trick" the AI into matching a trap or swap 2 tiles and match 2 traps.
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    I have QS with all 3 abilities, and I'm particularly interested in his blue passive ability. If there are 4 or more "Locked tiles" they explode for aoe damage. For the R&G event, I matched him with obw and bagman in the essential goon nodes. As an experiment I tried making blue matches to put locked TU tiles on the board, and then fired off Bagman's blue ability to lock more tiles and see if that triggered QS' aoe explosion. It turns out the answer is no.

An alliance mate tried combining QS with Invisible Woman's blue locked force bubbles, and those seem to explode. So post 4/17, where IW's blue costs a lot less to trigger, IW/QS may be a viable combo. If you toss in Daredevil, that's rainbow coverage.
  • 7 blue for ~2K team damage isn't really as great as it sounds consider this ties up 2 out of your 3 available characters. With the new HP buff you'd need about 3 casting of blue to take out a team and that's 21 blue, and you literally are getting nothing else out of this team. You can't use Force Bubbles defensively because an enemy matching blue will flush your bubbles instead which means you can't crush them later.
  • Aidonis wrote:
    My lord, he's amazing with Daredevil...am I the only one that got this memo?

Being able to match Ambush at will is tinykitty amazing folks.

If by "At will" you mean "with huge amounts of black" which mean you DIDN'T use that huge amount of black to murder people with using BP or XF. The same can be accomplished with MNM by lining up a blue 4 to hit your trap, and that only costs 8 purple AP not 11 or whatever it's at from locks.

7 AP is still too much for a basic tile swap. LITERAL Bagman has this power and it sucks. His costs 13 but still, Bagsilver deserved so much better. And don't even get me started on "Fists of Fury" - create a crit tile for a team mate by beating the snot out of this dude. Just not right.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I want to like Quicksilver. He's just so underwhelming. The Supersonic animation is pretty cool, but that's about his only upside unfortunately,
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    even with his major level buff, my 021 does a whopping 400 team damage if I manage to get his blue off. Ooooooh.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Everytime I pull off IW + Quicksilver combo, I really wish his blue's damage was base dmg + number of locked tiles. It would be much more satisfying that way.
  • stowaway
    stowaway Posts: 501 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I seem to be one of the few people who actually like high level goon nodes. Having one countdown tile be the difference between victory and defeat is puzzly, and it's satisfying to leave a match without taking any damage. I've never had a harder time defeating goons. I've learned to just not bring a blue user and avoid matching blue. If Quicksilver's black worked on countdown tiles it would at least make him an asset and not a liability.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    At the risk of further beating a dead horse...
    I finally tried out the buffed/max-covered loaner Quicksilver in that early "meet Rocket & Groot" mission. And, I found him as frustratingly slow and unfun and others have. Even I -- the usual MPQ optimist -- have never been as disappointed on first impression (via buffed/max-covered loaner character) as with poor old Pietro here. icon_e_sad.gif

I think a/the major contributing factor to my disappointment lies in how quickly the character was nerfed right after his official pre-release info was posted. It's one thing if a weeks/months-off character doesn't quite measure up to his stats leaked in a spoiler post (like the long one deleted recently), but for a dev to post stats here and then scale them back that quickly will just leave me annoyedly thinking about the better character he could've been.