Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) and Thor Character Changes

Options

Comments

• How is it possible Thor 2star is STILL stronger than 3star ragnorak?
  • Built wolv 5/5/3 and was rebuilding for 5/3/5 but it looks like that won't be neccessary. My thor is 5/4/4 though. Might change that up to 3/5/5 if I can get the covers.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Common wrote:
    How is it possible Thor 2star is STILL stronger than 3star ragnorak?

Because Ragnarok doesn't have his third colour yet.
  • Common wrote:
    How is it possible Thor 2star is STILL stronger than 3star ragnorak?

They said that Rags does not have his 3rd color yet, that would be why.
  • The changes look good.
    Wolverine: He is close to what I expected (cost 6-8 and keep the strike tiles tied to the ability), but I am disappointed about the weaker Strike tiles (89 --> 59 strength). I am not sure he would be too strong with original tile strength since the cost doubled. I think Patch will take his place.
    The red is great. Nice damage for a 2*.
    Also disappointed about his yellow since I have him at 5/3/4 after I gave him a yellow 2 weeks ago. I wish I hadn't. 5/5/3 is the only way to go now. I can't say I didn't expect it though since he is 2* and they want to make clear the 3*s are on a different level.

Thor: The new red is still his cheapest ability and stronger than 2* Iron Man's red.
    The yellow is more expensive now but gives more tiles, so it will be used mostly for that in combo play.
    The green does nice damage and given the yellow places 9 tiles, it will be easy to trigger it.
  • farlus
    farlus Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm still getting acquainted with the more analytical aspects of the game, have been playing dedicatedly but casually for a couple of months now, but I'm pretty happy with how the adjustments are turning out. I definitely appreciate the communication, and the dedication to keeping the changes in line with both canon and balance. Some other developers are quick to drop the nerfhammer when they think things are unbalanced are overpower with very little reason or communication, and seemingly hate fun. This was well explained and makes sense, from a text perspective anyway. We'll see how it goes when it's implemented, but right now I am satisfied with everything. Love this game, keep up the good work.
  • Kyosokun wrote:

Edit: And Osborn himself, obviously.

Seriously, where on Earth is Iron Patriot?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Alright, looked into the changes for Wolverine's Feral Claws. Looks like the ones posted were an older (less efficient) version. That's what we get for posting ability changes that aren't 100% final. In this case though, everything works out for a net positive, so that's good. I'm updating the original post now, but here's the actual new Feral Claws:

New Feral Claws
      • Deals 33 damage and creates 1 Red Strike tile, plus 1 additional tile for every 3 Red AP the team has.
    Cost: 6 AP
    Upgrades:
      • Level 2:
    46 Damage
    • Level 3: Strike Strength 4
    • Level 4: 56 damage
    • Level 5: Strike Strength 5

Max stats at 85:
    520 damage, Strike tile strength of 40.

So basically: Slightly more damage output outright, lower AP ratio per Strike tile, Strike tiles are weaker but more of them for a slightly higher effect compared to the earlier version (118 in two tiles versus 120 in 3 tiles at 6 red AP)
  • Wow, even weaker tiles that before? I think this is a case where more is not better since the max number of red tiles on the board limits the max Strike tiles you can place. Also, more of them means the higher the chance to match them, either accidentally or as the only match option. Things are looking more grim.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Alright, looked into the changes for Wolverine's Feral Claws. Looks like the ones posted were an older (less efficient) version. That's what we get for posting ability changes that aren't 100% final. In this case though, everything works out for a net positive, so that's good. I'm updating the original post now, but here's the actual new Feral Claws:

New Feral Claws
      • Deals 33 damage and creates 1 Red Strike tile, plus 1 additional tile for every 3 Red AP the team has.
    Cost: 6 AP
    Upgrades:
      • Level 2:
    46 Damage
    • Level 3: Strike Strength 4
    • Level 4: 56 damage
    • Level 5: Strike Strength 5

Max stats at 85:
    520 damage, Strike tile strength of 40.

So basically: Slightly more damage output outright, lower AP ratio per Strike tile, Strike tiles are weaker but more of them for a slightly higher effect compared to the earlier version (118 in two tiles versus 120 in 3 tiles at 6 red AP)

Personally, this makes more sense to me. As it was before, an example was with 10 red tiles out, you could fill and be at approx. 800 dmg. Now, the power of each is spread out more, making it still useful, but not as big of a contributor as it was prior to the change. And also makes sense of the explanation now too. icon_razz.gif
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Skyedyne wrote:
    Personally, this makes more sense to me. As it was before, an example was with 10 red tiles out, you could fill and be at approx. 800 dmg. Now, the power of each is spread out more, making it still useful, but not as big of a contributor as it was prior to the change. And also makes sense of the explanation now too. icon_razz.gif
    The wrong version they shared had Strike tile strength equal to 59 not 80. So even with 10 Strike tiles on the board the damage would be 590 and not 800. Also, do you expect that putting 10 Strike tiles will be easy?
    You will need to use the ability twice (2x6 green AP) with 12 red AP stored. And not only that but there must be 10 red tiles on the board after you make the 4 matches to get the 12 you need. This is no longer a quick strategy bu more of a mid/late game stunt.
    Maybe with another hero that generates red and green it is doable, but I don't think there is a character like that in the 2* tier.

Edit: Oops, I forgot Thor does that. With yellow of course which means you meed another color to collect. icon_e_confused.gif
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    Chops wrote:
    The best thing with these changes is that it breaks up the dynamic duo. It was fun while it lasted, but now it makes no sense to play these two together at all. Great changes devs!!

What? No it doesn't. Doesn't even come close.

Generate red for feral claws. Matching yellow for a level 5 TS generates green for ferals. Don't use red until you've dropped plenty of strike tiles; MM or AC depends on the board. Will more yellows help?

Yellow matches also heal wolvie. Yellow is wolvies third color and Thor's second, so Thor tanks hits while Wolvie heals. Wolvie tanks hits while green is matched.

They're still very compatible.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Narkon wrote:
    Skyedyne wrote:
    The wrong version they shared had Strike tile strength equal to 59 not 80. So even with 10 Strike tiles on the board the damage would be 590 and not 800. Also, do you expect that putting 10 Strike tiles will be easy?
    You will need to use the ability twice (2x6 green AP) with 12 red AP stored. And not only that but there must be 10 red tiles on the board after you make the 4 matches to get the 12 you need. This is no longer a quick strategy bu more of a mid/late game stunt.
    Maybe with another hero that generates red and green it is doable, but I don't think there is a character like that in the 2* tier.

I was actually referring to his current incarnation, which is technically before this change. Apologies for not elaborating on that to clarify.

Edit: As basis for where I am coming from on this, from day 1 of getting Wolvie, I have played him as 3/5/5. So this change to his green doesn't affect me as much as those that built 5 green. That being said, it was never impossible, even within a few short turns, to get anywhere from 4 to 8 strike tiles out with his green only costing 5. It's still doable quickly, it's just with this change, it will give more variety to the way he can be built. There is no absolute way to do so now, unlike before. Yes, with only 3, I will have weaker tiles than Daken probably, but I never fully relied on strike tiles being my main source of damage. On punisher, I do, but wolvie shouldn't have been reliant on green to make him good, as that stifled the ability to diversify your team from a narrow band of characters.
  • Skyedyne wrote:
    I was actually referring to his current incarnation, which is technically before this change. Apologies for not elaborating on that to clarify.
    No need for apologies. icon_e_biggrin.gif We are all friends here. And the old (current) Wolverine adds Strike tiles of 89 strength so ten tiles are +890 damage. Or 1780 if OBW makes a match. Ahh, good old times.
  • IceIX wrote:
    Deals 33 damage and creates 1 Red Strike tile, plus 1 additional tile for every 3 Red AP the team has.

That sounds so much better. icon_e_smile.gif

So more of lesser swords for double price. Well, we'll do with that.

It also meand that the old stockpiled stuff that started with 4 swords now starts with 3. Definitely not an overnerf.
  • Just loaded and got update for enhanced sell rate. also noticed 3 of all colour boost is now 100 gold. Ouchie
  • Talahamut
    Talahamut Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Yeah! Looks like I inadvertently made a good call weeks ago making my Wolvie 5/5/3 and Thor with 5 green! icon_e_smile.gif
  • I hate it. icon_lol.gif
  • And thank you D# for driving me back to playing DOTA 2 in 95% of my spare time. It was fun while it lasted. I'll still play when I'm taking a dump from time to time so I always know what to remember this game by.
  • terrible yellow skill for wol... only activate after 50%? which is approximately 1700+ out of 3500+ i believe... if opposite team happens to be obtain enuf yellow for thor then is bb for wol before healing can even kick in...