Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) and Thor Character Changes

Options

Comments

• buckfanana wrote:
    Did nobody else pick up on the mention of Colossus? Didn't read the whole thread. Bring on the nerfs.

Many have commented actually...and ice said he wasn't the next xmen..somebody else was..bumbum BUM!

Also, part of why the healing ability works more fairly on patches is because its point in part I believe is to mitigate his self damage from the enemy strike files he places. Still interesting to see 4**** xforce and how his yellow turns out.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think Thor's red and Wolvie's yellow might have been nerfed a little too hard, but overall I'm much happier with these changes than Ragnarok's, and I never even had enough Rag covers to really abuse him pre-nerf.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    Keep in mind that Ragnarok is also still missing a third ability which will help him in utility and bring his power up another 26 levels.
    Do any other 2-power characters have third abilities coming?

Do all of them?
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Razzi wrote:
    coupled with 3 different AP boosts(500 Iso per battle)

You've paid too much!

But, somewhere (R47 preview, probably)...IceIX mentioned that this PvE event did not work as planned and that if it's ever repeated, the scaling would be different.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Razzi wrote:

You've paid too much!

But, somewhere (R47 preview, probably)...IceIX mentioned that this PvE event did not work as planned and that if it's ever repeated, the scaling would be different.

Well, I want to place at least top 100 to get a Daredevil cover. I want Patch more so then ever now that Wolverine is less than desirable, but I just want Daredevil. Running Wolv/Thor/OBW and without boosts I cannot kill the 230 Dark Avengers Teams. The Maggia men I can usually do with just the Purple/Blue boost.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    buckfanana wrote:
    Did nobody else pick up on the mention of Colossus? Didn't read the whole thread. Bring on the nerfs.

Many have commented actually...and ice said he wasn't the next xmen..somebody else was..bumbum BUM!

Also, part of why the healing ability works more fairly on patches is because its point in part I believe is to mitigate his self damage from the enemy strike files he places. Still interesting to see 4**** xforce and how his yellow turns out.

Since Colossus was labelled as a "tank" character, I think we can assume that the next X-Men character to be added won't also fill that role. I'd also go so far as to say we can assume it's not another aggressive brawler like Wolverine, since it actually seems some degree of thought went into these changes.

So a new Support mutant? Normally I would think that it's harder to excite people for a supporty character as opposed to a playmaker, but with looming Spider-man changes, who knows? They could add a support mutant with a heal if they intend to nerf Spider-man (take his heal away?)
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Razzi wrote:
    I have some key issues that I feel need to be addressed. I agree that Wolverine and Thor are unbalanced. I think the developers over did it much like they did with the Ragnarok nerf. I'm not crazy about Thor's Red ability being an 8AP skill. Mjolnir's Hammer is arguably worse than Photon Blast now, which is a pretty bad ability. His Yellow ability does dramatically less damage, it's just such a huge change. I like that it generates tons of green AP, but at such a high AP cost/per damage it's basically useless. My first instinct was to pair him with GSBW, but at that cost it's asinine. You nerfed Thor's damage, his AP cost, and his potential to save up red ap to chain his abilities. I cannot envision Thor being used at all in tournaments or pve. He went from top dog to non-threatening. Clearly we're moving away from spammable abilities, but you need to make subtle adjustments on the fly and see how things work. Not make dramatic adjustments like this that destroy the feel of the characters. Furthermore, I find it incredibly unfair that I optimized my characters and now suddenly my Thor isn't ideal, because his Green Ability went from worst to best. I'm sure Ragnaroks third ability will be better than his other two and I'll have no way to fix him. Respec > Huge nerfing of characters (Ragnarok, Thor, Wolverine), simply because it's unfair to not let my fix my cover selections.

The Big Issue: In PVE events, and this new Daredevil Event in particular, I have had to use Thor and Wolverine coupled with 3 different AP boosts(500 Iso per battle) just to have a fighting chance to beat these ridiculously high leveled enemies you're pitting us against. Without these characters I have zero chance to win against such high leveled enemies. Are you going to address this? Will future events be easier to compensate for the lack of Thorverine? Are these 230 enemies going to be standard for PVE events moving forward? I much prefer the way the Hulk event worked, in the sense that there was one easy area and one hard area. Now I basically have to choose between doing the event or the tournaments, because I don't have enough healthpacks or iso for boosts to do both. I basically get two tries per PVE battle before I have to quit playing, which is not fun.

They have said multiple times that respecs are in the works.

In another thread Ice explained that they didn't expect scaling like this from their testing and that it would be fixed in future events and reruns of this event.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Razzi wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    Razzi wrote:
    You've paid too much!
    Well, I want to place at least top 100 to get a Daredevil cover. I want Patch more so then ever now that Wolverine is less than desirable, but I just want Daredevil. Running Wolv/Thor/OBW and without boosts I cannot kill the 230 Dark Avengers Teams. The Maggia men I can usually do with just the Purple/Blue boost.

Fairly certain he's referring to the fact that boosts come in packs of 3, thus assuming you went rainbow/dual/dual, you'd be spending 400 (200/100/100, correct?) and thus 400 ISO per three battles, not each.
  • Eddiemon
    Options
    Razzi wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    Razzi wrote:

You've paid too much!

He was saying you paid too much because firstly it is normally 200 + 100 + 100 = 400 ISO for boosts and secondly that buys 3 battles worth. So 133.33 ISO per battle. It's not pretty but it isn't 500.
  • Razzi wrote:
    Nemek wrote:
    Razzi wrote:

You've paid too much!

He means your client was overcharging you or your off the top of your head math is questionable. Maximum AP boosting one mission costs 133 ISO (400/3) iirc. You'll still likely come out ahead overall even if you always do that (first completion awards and the odd 500) but, yes, it's a pretty pointless waste of your resources unless you're seriously trying for high placement.

If you're determined to play, just tank the difficulty back down. It's a mindless waste of your time, but that's all it costs you. Take unused characters in and retreat repeatedly until you start to see the levels drop. Best done in stages that lend you a character so you're slowly killing only two.
  • Also I'm sort of happy I mis-specced my Thor at 5/3/5, now, because that's looking more ideal to me now

honestly the yellow feels over-nerfed, the other 2 fixes seem right to me. we'll see in execution!

sort of bummed to see the change to wolverine's yellow, but it was a bit much before.
  • Thor looks really good. Love the changes. To be honest, I still consider Thor best 2-star in the game, except for maybe Ares. Tough to call now, which is a good sign. I consider Wolvie weaker but still a good character.

Really wanna give the new Thor a spin, but I need respec.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    OBW deserves a nod up there as one of the best 2 stars. I've had some unbelievable losses to that girl...
  • Generally, I like the changes overall, except for one: Why for only 1 less red AP does Thor get to do more damage than rags, a rarer character?

Outside of that, looks golden. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Nemek wrote:
    OBW deserves a nod up there as one of the best 2 stars. I've had some unbelievable losses to that girl...
    She is in fact pretty beastly with Wolfie but now with his Nerf she'll also feel a bit of backlash from it.
    However she will still be decent with punisher and patch....
  • Disappointed with Thunder Strike and Wolvie's passive healing nerfs. Otherwise I'm okay with the changes. But I'll have to withhold final judgment until the changes are implemented. It seems they weren't so nerf happy with this hammer as they were with Ragnarok.
  • looks pretty great except for wolvies heal, it'll probably be relegated to cascades at this point.

really like how they are useable and fresh compared to the last changes, with lots of good dev feedback
  • Eddiemon
    Options
    Skyedyne wrote:
    Generally, I like the changes overall, except for one: Why for only 1 less red AP does Thor get to do more damage than rags, a rarer character?

Outside of that, looks golden. icon_e_smile.gif

Thor is 8 AP, Rag is 6 AP?
  • Devs just crossed out the number one priority on my respec list with Thor update. 3/5/5 suddenly looking a lot better...

Move to the front of the line 4/5/4 OBW, with Wolvie's strike tiles getting neutered, I would like that additional espionage damage...
  • This has to be a joke: my Thor has been 4/5/3 for about a month now. I've burned two green covers along the way, waiting for the last red...TONIGHT it drops from a standard pack. Screw it I'm training it. I don't even care.