Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) and Thor Character Changes

Options

Comments

• hmm, these are fairly balanced changes I guess, but daken just seems better than wolvie now lol
    maybe if they took the 50% hp thing out it'll be farier

Also, they really need to get a respec system out, especially for the upcoming changes for 3* and 4* characters
  • Both characters are still awesome, well done.
  • I like the changes. Super glad to see them, and even more glad I won't have to read more posts on the doom and gloom of the coming nerfs and how horrible they will be.

I want to see a Rag/Thor/Widow Team now. Or maybe Hulk/Thor/Widow.
  • I'll wait until I can get a chance to play with the adjusted characters, but overall I appreciate the time and care invested into both the balancing as well as the announcement!
    Fangel wrote:
    Will Patch's yellow be adjusted to be in line with 2* wolverine's yellow in future?

If it does, then 5/5/3 is basically the optimal build
  • optimiza
    optimiza Posts: 127 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I love it. Adds some new strategies instead of everyone just piling onto those guys since they're the most efficient. Making 9 on Thor green sounds bonkers though...
  • Fangel wrote:
    Will Patch's yellow be adjusted to be in line with 2* wolverine's yellow in future?

I doubt it. This change makes it so all 3 wolverines heal in different ways, and Patch's yellow never auto-heals.
  • If Punisher ever get that scope fixed on his rocket launcher, Hulk/Thor/Punisher seems like an awesome team to me.
  • The best thing with these changes is that it breaks up the dynamic duo. It was fun while it lasted, but now it makes no sense to play these two together at all. Great changes devs!!
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    optimiza wrote:
    I love it. Adds some new strategies instead of everyone just piling onto those guys since they're the most efficient. Making 9 on Thor green sounds bonkers though...
    You need to remember that thunder strike does 1/3rd of the damage that it used to do though, so it probably will be okay (although this could lead to some heavy green feeding...)
  • Changes seem fair enough on paper, they don't seem malicious to me.

As someone else mentioned though, it's said in the Dev notes that Wolv's ratio of red AP to strike tiles was increased, but that's not the case anywhere in the notes... typo?
  • I started experimenting with The Hood and this change will be so much fun. With the increased AP costs, none of these abilities will be firing. icon_twisted.gif
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2014
    Options
    From the notes:
    IceIX wrote:
    The original idea for this ability was to be a small but damaging attack that pushes a couple Strike tiles down to improve damage for the next attack.

Have you played around at all with the idea of an attack that "consumes" strike tiles (resets them to basic colour tiles). Reading the above insight into the design process made me think about that kind of small damage + strikes attacks into an "unleashed rage" attack.

Edit: Reading further ahead; love that change to his yellow. Adding a little bit of skill/game theory to a Passive? Brilliant!
  • Free ability to place new covers in order to delete old covers is needed. The changes are fine, huge nerfs for wolverine to the point of mid tier and a nerf via a complete character change for thor. Is his red even worth using anymore? I am not sure. Lowered damage and skill up merely increasing damage and I am thinking the new build for thor is probably 3/5/5 (New)or 5/5/3 (same as before). If they make a respec of sorts then I'll consider moving thor, but I think he still functions okay as a 5/5/3 because I STILL think I'd rather use someone else's green. That someone just isn't **wolvie anymore.

Speaking of wolvie, the green change was expected I thought it would be either 5 or 6..so I am not startled by the change here. His red got a little better. Big thing here is wolverine's yellow got KILLED. Needing.to be below 50% hp AND match yellow? Eek. The humor to me is the explanation says the way the skill worked was broken..yet..they just pushed out a new wolvie Wight he EXACT SAME ABILITY. so did they build patch broken for some reason? Or is the skill just broken for a 2** (reasonable)? I want to rebuild wolverine 5/5/3 now. I am interested to see the yellow on 4**** wolverine though. I suspect it stays a tile..which could work if done right as you can see with ares's yellow.

Regardless, I built wolvie for pve when he was boosted. He is mediocre now, but I didn't use him too much and patches replaces him anyway so "shrug." Bigger issue in a way is thor, who I think isn't bad now but he functions more like an ap builder as opposed to a damage dealer. Thor just makes grey suit even stronger....so...does that mean we can EXPECT A GREY SUIT NERF SOON? probably.not but after the mag nerf she will be the only character with a noticeably stronger move than anybody else.

My point is..I will expect grey suit to be nerfed if they are trying to cull the damage dealers in the game. I just think ppl haven't thought of it yet because 19 ap is pretty high. 19/3 is 6.33 ap to do 3000+ "thoughtless" damage. "Thoughtless" meaning no matches, no making sure certain colors are out, etc. If thor's yellow doing 2.2k @11-14 ap then certainly nearly 10k damage for 19 is op....and so I expect it to move closer to I'm40 blue damage or somewhere in between.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    First off, I want to commend the developers on the communication for this change and explaining the reasoning behind it.

I regular play level 85 Wolvie and Thor. I think for the most part these changes keep the flavor of the character abilities with reasonable adjustments to AP cost and damage. The Thor yellow/green change is the most interesting one IMO. I'm interested to see how it plays out.
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Oh great. I believe my Thor build is now sub-optimal. I think these changes are well-balanced (kudos to the devs, especially after... *ahem* Ragnarok), but I wish I could respec him to accommodate. I hope that feature is added soon...
    So what is the best build for Thor now? I'm almost thinking 4/4/5 or 4/5/4, but then again, I'm not the best tactician when it comes to this game, and I don't know as much as some of the veteran players.
    Any feedback?
  • Kyosokun wrote:
    Fangel wrote:

I doubt it. This change makes it so all 3 wolverines heal in different ways, and Patch's yellow never auto-heals.

@skill 5 for yellow it is "in all circumstances" = always heals. Correct?
    Kyosokun wrote:
    I like the changes. Super glad to see them, and even more glad I won't have to read more posts on the doom and gloom of the coming nerfs and how horrible they will be.

I want to see a Rag/Thor/Widow Team now. Or maybe Hulk/Thor/Widow.

Widow will be nerfed. I almost guarantee it. She does over double (near triple.if.considering thor doesn't do equal damage to the secondary targets) damage as thor for only 5 more ap.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kyosokun wrote:
    Fangel wrote:

What? Patch's yellow is basically a very close copy of 2* wolvie's yellow
    Patch:
    Healing Factor - (PASSIVE) Yellow
    (PASSIVE) Every turn there are 12 or more Yellow tiles, Wolverine's healing factor restores 59 health.
    Level 2: Requires 11 or more Yellow tiles.
    Level 3: Requires 10 or more Yellow tiles.
    Level 4: Recovers 15 health if there are fewer than 10 Yellow tiles.
    Level 5: Recovers 59 health in all circumstances.

Wolvie 2*
    Healing Factor
    Power Cost: Yellow 0 AP (Passive)
    (PASSIVE) Every turn there are 10 or more Yellow tiles, Wolverine's healing factor restores 21 health.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Requires 9 or more Yellow tiles.
    Level 3: Requires 8 or more Yellow tiles.
    Level 4: Recovers 5 health if there are fewer than 8 Yellow tiles.
    Level 5: Recovers 21 health in all circumstances.
  • Yea, the big shock to me was Wolvy's yellow getting smoked.

The changes are fine. Pretty much in line what most of reasonable people on here expected.
  • Oh great. I believe my Thor build is now sub-optimal. I think these changes are well-balanced (kudos to the devs, especially after... *ahem* Ragnarok), but I wish I could respec him to accommodate. I hope that feature is added soon...
    So what is the best build for Thor now? I'm almost thinking 4/4/5 or 4/5/4, but then again, I'm not the best tactician when it comes to this game, and I don't know as much as some of the veteran players.
    Any feedback?

The rag nerf is no different than this wolverine nerf other than we were given way more info ahead of time and he was far more op than anybody else in the game so normalizing him required a much heavier nerf. Retrospectively, the rag nerf is dine. It's the way it happened that was the biggest issue. If they told use they were going to nerf him and all the others at the same time then I don't think there would have been the same lvl of anger necessarily as ppl would KNOW others were getting nerfed.

I don't think it matters to be honest. I would put 4+ in his yellow and then its kinda "what you feel" from there. I like 5/5/3 if you want go use someone else's green. 3/5/5 since his red is weak besides building for yellow (probably close to where it should have been..but I think at 6 ap and slightly less damage it would be fine too since he seems to be a ap builder now). 4/5/4 if you want the green building from the yellow but don't plan to use him for damage. Honestly, he is much mire "fit to your team" then before, which I guess is good.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I understand the concern for wolvie's strike strength as he stands right now, but I'm not sure that the strength reduction was really necessary on top of the AP costs being doubled. For 6 AP per cast, only 10 more damage per tile than daken seems like a pretty hefty downgrade. Especially since daken maxes out at a lower level.

I do like the Change to thor's yellow. 9 AP is pretty much assured to cause a cascade, offsetting the loss of one of the best 2* nukes. The red...I'm not sure a damage nerf was needed on top of the soft-damage nerf due to the AP increase (and being at 8 instead of 9 sets of my OCD a bit icon_razz.gif).