Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) and Thor Character Changes

Options
14567810»

Comments

• DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cymmina wrote:
    Honestly, no one supports this ridiculous patch. I've spend real money on this game and all of it has been stolen by the devs in this update. If you want to play the character rebalance game, feel free, just learn to REIMBURSE EVERY SINGLE ISO-8 to the people who spent time and money leveling their team. How can it be remotely fair to ruin a team composition and say tough luck, all those hours and dollars are now wasted. Don't like it? Too bad, we don't care about our customers.

This sounds great for people who have other heroes to spend Iso-8 on, but for players like myself who only have "good" 2-star heroes like Wolverine, Thor, Black Widow, and Storm in usable condition, what would we spend our refunded currency on? There's not much I can do with my few 3-stars due to only having 1 cover for each or the other 2-stars I have either because they're weak or I don't have enough covers for them to be useful (Moonstone, Magneto, Captain America, Ares). Am I supposed to go back to using 1-star characters?

I used Thor and Wolverine because that's all I had thanks to RNG and being unable to place high enough in tournaments to get more than a single 3-star cover (I shoot for the 46-75 bracket since 3 2-star covers is worth more to me than a single 3-star cover). If I had some of the characters everyone is jumping to I'd probably be making the same demands.
    If you run into thoerverine that is still under level 40 each, without 13/13 covermatch, and you have a max level IM35 and m.Storm run those two on defense.

the AI can run circles around levle 40- thorverine if it and when it screws up the board. Even IM35's wimpy def tiles chunk off 300 of health and kill thier match damage. plus ironically he had more health and hits harder per match than new funbalanced wolverine. made worse by having stormy there to fuel his alcoholic tech rage. That's pretty much all i saw in the midlevel matches. those two will go down but one bad cascade and your sub 40 2* nerf team will hit the floor.

So get in on it before d3 notices, and takes them into the alley for a little funbalancing.
    Phantron wrote:
    Veracity wrote:
    bahamut685 wrote:
    Simple summary on the Thor changes: compare new Thor to Ares, Ares does similar damage (or much more) 20 levels lower.
    Ares doesn't spit out 9 green tiles while he's at it. Not even Hulk or GSBW can do that. They've split old Thor into control/feeder in new Thor and damage train in Ares. Doesn't seem unreasonable, and directly comparing their damage as if Ares does anything else is misleading.

People who talk about Ares's damage should be sent videos of what their Ares is doing while on defense. Believe me, this guy is very good at finding way to kill himself needlessly, which is why he has exceptional offense to make up for his tendency to kill himself.
    This is true. Ai ares is a crapshoot, hence why some players swap in a aresless def team afterwards and find a curbstomp battle or lose/withdraw.
  • Another annoying behavior of Ares is when he uses his abilities on heroes that have 20-100 hp when he could finish them with a simple match of his colors

I've said before that an AI that is too smart would be significantly less fun to play against, but the Ares AI (and all other hero AI) should check 2 simple things before making an action.
    1. Can I kill the enemy with a simple match?
    2. If I use an ability will it instantly cost me the game?

One of the first thing they learn in programming courses is IF-THEN-ELSE statements. A simple use of that would make the AI much less silly without being annoyingly smart.
  • You know what would make Thor's red worthwhile? If you could choose the tiles to change. Right now it seems to be balanced assuming it generates yellow AP when in fact placing 3 random yellows has a high probability of netting you zilch.
  • i sold them both and even with the current Wolverine tournament I haven't regretted the decision. The current character is not what I signed up for, and If I don't sell them now, later I won't get as good a return. I think my ultimate goal is to build a good 3* team that by virtue of being 20+ levels above all 2* renders these issues obsolete. What I really want is someone's opinion as to what the best 3* team is at lvl 85+.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Options
    I don't want to sell them and waste all the Iso I've invested on.
    I hope respec option will come as soon as possible, beacuse my Thor really need it now icon_neutral.gif
  • TheHood wrote:
    I hope respec option will come as soon as possible, beacuse my Thor really need it now icon_neutral.gif

If you sell them you waste about 66% of the ISO plus you get hero points. I got over 1000 HP for selling both of them (and over 50k ISO.) Think of it as leasing. You leased them and now you are trading them in minus their depreciation. I was fine with selling it because my goal is to have one super team, not the entire collection....
  • TheHood wrote:
    I hope respec option will come as soon as possible, because my Thor really need it now icon_neutral.gif

They said a respec system is on the table, but not when we should expect it, which is what makes me suspicious. A system like that isn't that complex to code and it doesn't require balancing like the beta testing of a hero's abilities. If they rely intended to give something like that which is from what I hear asked since day 1, it should be here by now.

I am mostly concerned about Wolverine. At first when I saw the changes I thought they were fine, but after I played 1-2 games with him I saw he is way too slow now. 6g+6r to put out 3 strike tiles with 120 total strength is pathetic. Even with OBW's double damage it takes forever to take someone down. As for PVE, there is no way to take down the high level Maggia or DA with 2* Wolverine/OBW. In a previous post I said I'll keep him, but after playing those games I don't know anymore. Just a moment ago I was about to press the sell button, but stopped in time. I am doing some calculations about what I will gain from the sale (27K ISO and 450HP) and how high I can level Patch to use him instead of the 2*.

Usually with 2* Wolvie I had 6+ tiles down and each of them was doing around 90 damage if I remember correctly. This is ~550+ damage.
    I will keep wolvie 3/3/5 for now or maybe dare make him 4/4/5 (giving +600 damage to both teams, but his red hits harder at high level and can take more hits) despite knowing neither green or red are optimal at 4, but since I am scared of the +900 damage to opposing matches I may be forced to. I am also worried about OBW. If they nerf her Espionage (one has to be careful in this game with the nerfs) then immediately Patch is nerfed hard because 1:1 damage trade from his tiles is definitely not good.

I just hope the option to sell him last until the end of the "Best There Is" Round 2 in order to have some time to test him.
  • klingsor wrote:
    TheHood wrote:
    If you sell them you waste about 66% of the ISO plus you get hero points. I got over 1000 HP for selling both of them (and over 50k ISO.) Think of it as leasing. You leased them and now you are trading them in minus their depreciation. I was fine with selling it because my goal is to have one super team, not the entire collection....
    If I may ask, what is your current A team? I am trying to see if we are on the same league.
    If someone is already deep in tier 3*, then selling them will have a small impact on their gameplay.
  • Ares's offense is balanced around his behavior. He's almost like a 4th man on your team when you attack him. Green dried up and things looking bad? Onslaught will fix it. Got someone who is about to die but need to squeeze one last bit of usefulness? Let him eat a Sunder.

Imagine there is this ability that you can add to your character for free:

Energy Drain

Drains enemy of all their green AP, stealing half of their AP and adding it to yours (rounded down). You lose 207 health per green AP emptied this way.

Would you use this ability? Sure, there are plenty of time you just need a few more green or you notice the enemy is sitting on a pile of green and something nasty is imminent. And this ability is what Onslaught is. A red AP is worth about 200 damage, maybe more now that the standard for 'generic red damaging ability' has gone up (Adamantium Claws). Green is arguably as good as red even if it's not always direct damage, so if we value 1 green AP at 200 damage, that basically means Onslaught converts green to damage at 100 damage per green (because the enemy gets half of it back). This is overlooking the fact that often Onslaught provides the green that allows the other side to use their moves versus not being able to use it at all.
  • Narkon wrote:
    klingsor wrote:
    TheHood wrote:
    If I may ask, what is your current A team? I am trying to see if we are on the same league.
    If someone is already deep in tier 3*, then selling them will have a small impact on their gameplay.

I have a Spiderman lvl 92, Ironman 40 lvl 86, OBW 85, Hulk 85, etc...
  • Too many pages here to read them all, so this may be a restatement..

Spending money on covers to get Astonishing Wolvie to max 13/13, choosing those abilities based on how they level up, then having them nerfed, while also still stuck at the 13/13 I've created, makes for a very ticked off player.

Also, while I appreciate the buff in resale value of Astonishing Wolvie (and Thor), I don't understand how spending as much on covers as a lot of people have, and then getting 300g back for selling him, covers the cost of what I consider now a lesser character for me to play, when all characters are unbuffed for any given event.

Also, I understand the idea of making characters balanced, but how does a character become 3x/4x more powerful than intended without noticing before releasing the character? slight buffs/debuffs are expected, but the initial release should be close to expectation.

I'm going to continue to play, but I will not continue to spend money. I'm shrugging on this side of the keyboard.