Wolverine (Astonishing X-Men) and Thor Character Changes

Options

Comments

• Gigas Breaker
    Gigas Breaker Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    My Thor was 3/5/3 before the change and my Wolverine was 5/5/2 ohohohoho.
  • Why the hell would they introduce these nerfs in the middle of events? Where is the common sense? It's already questionable, granted, given the decisions they've been making in the past couple of weeks. But seriously, how hard is it to wait until an event is over? I have a growing list of adjectives for these devs and they include flabbergasting, puzzling, baffling, questionable, absurd, unbelievable, inexperienced...

So anyway, I didn't even realize the nerfs had been implemented and only noticed when a fight that should have been trivial started going inexplicably wrong. I only realized what was happening when a Thunderstrike that should've downed OBW only got her to 1K health. I even said out loud, "**** why isn't she dead?"

I still don't think the nerfs are horrible. Thor now just pokes instead of bangs icon_lol.gif I have the usual Thor build, 5/5/3. And at level 5, yellow creates a nice amount of green. The three times I used it, I got an extra move every time because he created enough greens to create an L-shape or 5 in a row. That then gave Wolvie two Feral Claws. If you're not running him with Wolvie, I don't see how Thunderstrike will be too useful anymore. Less damage than Mjolnir's and it only creates enough green to potentially give him half what he needs for Call of the Storm. So you have to get it off twice in a match, and I wonder what the odds of that are in an average length match. I'd like to hear how his yellow is at level 3. If its usefulness is questionable at level 5, I can only imagine how negligible it is at 3. I haven't read through the entire thread yet. But I assume everybody now wants level 5 green. I'm curious to know how good it is in action.
  • I for one love the new changes. I lucked out with my 5/3/5 Thor. Sure, I'd prefer him to be 3/5/5 but I'm not going to rebuild him from level 74. I sold my level 54 5/5/1 wolverine for over 13K ISO which I immediately fed to Punisher and soft caped him at 79. The rest was funneled into Thor who will take his place back in my main roster to replace my 85 Ares. Ares might hit harder but his abilities have too many drawbacks for my liking.

My favorite part about all of this though? Wolverine is no longer the thing of my nightmares. I used to dread having to fight a maxed out Wolverine. Now I routinely leave him for last. Kitty got declawed something fierce. He can still be a pain if he gets a bunch of strike tiles out, but it's no longer "Game over, thanks for losing your health packs."

I wan't expecting it to go live with R-47, nor was I expecting R-47 to hit tonight, but I'm really glad it did.
  • Screw it. I'll drop 2 of my only maxed chars and funnel 80-100k into the next cover who accidentally ends up OP as fk.

My maxed covers: rags Thor wolvie
    My 5 highest besides them : spidey mag c dr doom ares captain A

5 of my top 8 r done for. Cap A was a mistake to level up when I was a noob. Ares is just captain kill himself.

At least dr doom seems to still be a reasonable decision. I'm fearful of putting ISO into OBW for fear shell end up on the block of viable to be made obsolete.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    pumkin wrote:
    Why the hell would they introduce these nerfs in the middle of events? Where is the common sense? It's already questionable, granted, given the decisions they've been making in the past couple of weeks. But seriously, how hard is it to wait until an event is over? I have a growing list of adjectives for these devs and they include flabbergasting, puzzling, baffling, questionable, absurd, unbelievable, inexperienced...
    It is rare for there not to be a PVE event running and there is always a PVP Tourney of some type or another up. There is no "good" time to do this. At the middle or end of an event is bad since it changes meta. At the start of an event is bad since people need to figure out the new meta too quickly to place well.
  • Ares is just captain kill himself.

Hah!
  • I didn't realize the changes had gone live, I was wondering why My Wolverine seemed a little off icon_e_smile.gif I think the changes are fine, I despised previous Thor, so anything that makes him more reasonable is a welcome change. Now my problem is this: do I sell them and put the 50k ISK plus hero points on 3* tier? I don't have anyone of my 3*'s above 85, so I would like some feedback from higher level players. Whereas now my 2* all cast is OBW, Thor and Wolverine, I could see myself replacing Thor and wolverine and adding Spider-man and Hulk, or the new Wolverine or the Punisher (or Iron-Man I40?) I have like 30 characters so I'm trying to stop diversifying...Is OBW and a level 85+ Spider-man redundant? I like the Hulk's black passive, but his green is too costly for me to get excited about. I like Iron-Man I40, but he is too much of a late bloomer, and I like killing quickly.

Should I sell and reinvest? I could probably get one or two of the 3* to level 100 with the 50k. I beatup Spider-man lvl 100 all the time with old Wolverine and Black-Widow, so I don't think he is a beast anymore...Comments?

also, Hero Points for the +everything boost? That really sucks.
  • Blah. I really can't decide. Reading their descriptions they sound viable but they don't impress me all that much in play. I feel like they are gonna sell for this high price then the advanced tourneys will continually require avengers. I don't have any avengers I really wanna level that much besides Thor and wolvie. I also feel like they r gonna be buffed again within the next 4-6 weeks and I'm gonna be like **** why did I do that. Who would I feed ISO to if I sold then? Finish my dr doom from lvl 80? Take my OBW up from 15? Wait for daredevils or the next cool 2/3*. Tough decisions to take a big cut like that to my roster.
  • Wow. icon_cry.gif

This is really disappointing. I've never posted before (more of a lurker on here) but these changes motivated me to register and post.

I understand people feeling like there wasn't enough variety in PVP and that it seemed like Thor and Wolverine were on every team, they practically were, although facing level 85s of them never scared me, I found them extremely beatable. But wow, I think to get more variety in the PVP, I would have tried to elevate some of the other characters that never see play. Or I would have realized that the game isn't that old and new characters are always coming out that could add to the variety of team building. I feel like people have a lot of right to be upset over these changes too. People that have spent time and money to develop their characters. I work in game design and development (actually work with the Marvel license too, and I'm usually on the receiving end of angry forum posts) and we're very wary of nerfing previously released product given how much people invest in these games. I've been playing the game since October and I feel like the rug just got taken out from under me. Especially since this happened in the middle of an event (where I'm already pissed that I have to fight level 230 "Deadly" enemies that can kill my guys in one shot in every mission)

I'll be curious to see how many people complain about these changes and whether Thor and Wolverine get bumped back up again. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get my **** kicked by Maggia goons.

Oh and my prediction.....Original Black Widow is the next to get knocked down. She's insanely good.
  • IceIX wrote:
    pumkin wrote:
    Why the hell would they introduce these nerfs in the middle of events? Where is the common sense? It's already questionable, granted, given the decisions they've been making in the past couple of weeks. But seriously, how hard is it to wait until an event is over? I have a growing list of adjectives for these devs and they include flabbergasting, puzzling, baffling, questionable, absurd, unbelievable, inexperienced...
    It is rare for there not to be a PVE event running and there is always a PVP Tourney of some type or another up. There is no "good" time to do this. At the middle or end of an event is bad since it changes meta. At the start of an event is bad since people need to figure out the new meta too quickly to place well.
    Can you explain to us simple folk why introducing game-altering changes mid-event is worse than before/after a PvE? "Because it changes the meta" - Well, you are doing that no matter when you patch. Your explanation is mindboggling.
  • timber wrote:
    Wow. icon_cry.gif

This is really disappointing. I've never posted before (more of a lurker on here) but these changes motivated me to register and post.

I understand people feeling like there wasn't enough variety in PVP and that it seemed like Thor and Wolverine were on every team, they practically were, although facing level 85s of them never scared me, I found them extremely beatable. But wow, I think to get more variety in the PVP, I would have tried to elevate some of the other characters that never see play. Or I would have realized that the game isn't that old and new characters are always coming out that could add to the variety of team building. I feel like people have a lot of right to be upset over these changes too. People that have spent time and money to develop their characters. I work in game design and development (actually work with the Marvel license too, and I'm usually on the receiving end of angry forum posts) and we're very wary of nerfing previously released product given how much people invest in these games. I've been playing the game since October and I feel like the rug just got taken out from under me. Especially since this happened in the middle of an event (where I'm already pissed that I have to fight level 230 "Deadly" enemies that can kill my guys in one shot in every mission)

I'll be curious to see how many people complain about these changes and whether Thor and Wolverine get bumped back up again. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to get my **** kicked by Maggia goons.

Oh and my prediction.....Original Black Widow is the next to get knocked down. She's insanely good.

Yes she is insanely good. That's why I'm incredibly scared to touch her with ISO. I think she will be just as useful at lvl 30 as lvl 85.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    Options
    So, now Ares is better than Thor and Wolverine?
    Also Daken seems stronger than Wolverine 2**.....
    Razzi wrote:
    I have some key issues that I feel need to be addressed. I agree that Wolverine and Thor are unbalanced. I think the developers over did it much like they did with the Ragnarok nerf. I'm not crazy about Thor's Red ability being an 8AP skill. Mjolnir's Hammer is arguably worse than Photon Blast now, which is a pretty bad ability. His Yellow ability does dramatically less damage, it's just such a huge change. I like that it generates tons of green AP, but at such a high AP cost/per damage it's basically useless. My first instinct was to pair him with GSBW, but at that cost it's asinine. You nerfed Thor's damage, his AP cost, and his potential to save up red ap to chain his abilities. I cannot envision Thor being used at all in tournaments or pve. He went from top dog to non-threatening. Clearly we're moving away from spammable abilities, but you need to make subtle adjustments on the fly and see how things work. Not make dramatic adjustments like this that destroy the feel of the characters. Furthermore, I find it incredibly unfair that I optimized my characters and now suddenly my Thor isn't ideal, because his Green Ability went from worst to best. I'm sure Ragnaroks third ability will be better than his other two and I'll have no way to fix him. Respec > Huge nerfing of characters (Ragnarok, Thor, Wolverine), simply because it's unfair to not let my fix my cover selections.

The Big Issue: In PVE events, and this new Daredevil Event in particular, I have had to use Thor and Wolverine coupled with 3 different AP boosts(500 Iso per battle) just to have a fighting chance to beat these ridiculously high leveled enemies you're pitting us against. Without these characters I have zero chance to win against such high leveled enemies. Are you going to address this? Will future events be easier to compensate for the lack of Thorverine? Are these 230 enemies going to be standard for PVE events moving forward? I much prefer the way the Hulk event worked, in the sense that there was one easy area and one hard area. Now I basically have to choose between doing the event or the tournaments, because I don't have enough healthpacks or iso for boosts to do both. I basically get two tries per PVE battle before I have to quit playing, which is not fun.
    +1
    Totally agree!
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    gobstopper wrote:
    Can you explain to us simple folk why introducing game-altering changes mid-event is worse than before/after a PvE? "Because it changes the meta" - Well, you are doing that no matter when you patch. Your explanation is mindboggling.
    Hmm? I didn't say it was worse. I just said that there's no good time for us to really do so. We don't run events that are a month long like some games. Ours might run a week. After making changes to other characters (Ragnarok for example) it took a while for players to adapt their strategies. As in, more than a full Tourney cycle long. For that entire time that people were adapting, meta was shaken up and nothing was very solid for anyone.
  • TheHood
    TheHood Posts: 107
    edited January 2014
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    pumkin wrote:
    The good time would have been when the PvE Event Thick as Thieves had ended, and all the PVP tourney should had ended at the same time of TaT, so there would have been a moment of peace and stabilization.
  • IceIX wrote:
    gobstopper wrote:
    Hmm? I didn't say it was worse. I just said that there's no good time for us to really do so. We don't run events that are a month long like some games. Ours might run a week. After making changes to other characters (Ragnarok for example) it took a while for players to adapt their strategies. As in, more than a full Tourney cycle long. For that entire time that people were adapting, meta was shaken up and nothing was very solid for anyone.

I know this one is all from just what perspective you look at it from but my vote for any major character changes would be right when a Pve event ends simultaneously with the next starting or preferably at the end of a Pve event right when there is a 4 day break. Only saying it should revolve around Pve is because much much more time needs invested in Pve than anything else. You can't spend nearly as much time in a pvp event as though of us have trying to compete in the Pve. The huge point difference was expected but extreme, my guess because the unexpected scaling resulted in less activity and way lower point totals than expected. Basically cut out mist of the work put in. Pvp on the other hand is constantly going on and it's impossible not to interrupt it in some form.
  • I also used to work in game development, I have spent $50+ on this game, so I feel a little more emotional than if I was still at the F2P level. I'm sure there are a lot of players that have invested a lot more. while I agree with the need to rebalance characters and how challenging it is, and how there is never a perfect time, this game is based on economics, and economy works on incentives. I no longer have an incentive to spend cash on getting the final covers on hulk, spider-man or the punisher because the character can change at any point. If you combine this with the increased-cost mechanics, such as shields, boosts, etc, I see a larger disincentive to invest in this game. At this point I might as well sell Wolverine and Thor, and see if I can do well with a 3* character, because I am very close to quitting the game altogether, and going back to my dusty Xbox one. It costs me 15-30 bucks to max out one of the 3*'s i have. Why would I spend that money if he is going to get adjusted in the future?
    Enough about that. Let's talk about the other points mentioned here.
    If the character is boosted I would regret the sell too, but boosting characters is a tricky mechanic too. This Patch wolverine seems more appealing than he really is, and now that he has been fixed, try him. I just defeated a level 100 like he was bagman. He really isn't a good characcter although his stock might rise with the introduction of the gimpy Wolverine 2*. While in PVP the new Wolverine is fair, because everyone uses him to the same effect, it has made the already ridiculous PVE even harder. Without Wolverine's perpetual healing, those level 230 fights are close to impossible. Overall the game today doesn't seem more fun than 2 months ago.
  • Playing with wolverine. Getting strike tiles for every 3 red instead of 5. I still like him !
  • ArchJojo wrote:
    Playing with wolverine. Getting strike tiles for every 3 red instead of 5. I still like him !

One of the things I liked doing with him is fighting an easy fight like a low level hammer goon to get him to heal up. This saved me health packs. Now I can't do that since I have to match yellows and it would take a lot longer. I am going to try a little longer but I do think I'm going to sell Wolverine. Thor seems more interesting now, because on one hand his red and yellow suck, but they feed his green which is super powerful now (the best green in game perhaps behind GSBW...) So I can see him being useful with a Hulk and Spiderman team.
  • IceIX wrote:
    gobstopper wrote:

I know this one is all from just what perspective you look at it from but my vote for any major character changes would be right when a Pve event ends simultaneously with the next starting or preferably at the end of a Pve event right when there is a 4 day break.

It would seem like common sense to make these changes when less tournaments or events are in progress.
  • IceIX wrote:
    But that's not true, is it? There have been times when there is only one event running. After the Hunt or some other recent event ended just this past week, I believe there was an entire day or at least half a day where it was just one PVP event going. And every event ends at some point and then, yes, usually another one immediately begins. Why not implement the changes between the end of one and the beginning of the other? How is that so hard? If introducing changes at the start of an event is bad, how is it then a better option to make changes midway through an event? That screws people over even more. People will still have to figure out the new meta, and even more quickly because they now have something to lose, something they've been working two days for. In the middle of an event, people will have already figured out which team is working best for them within the event requirements. In this one, for many people it just so happened to be Thor and Wolverine. And if that combo no longer works so well, they're doubly screwed. So they have to waste time, rating points, and possibly health packs trying to find a new winning combo.