The Truth about PVE scaling and Roster Levels

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Linkster79
    Linkster79 Posts: 1,037 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3 months on and a couple of dozen PvE events how's the scaling now?

If this account has been placing well I assume enemy levels are well into the 200's by now.
  • Unknown
    Options
    For me, the app should be renamed Marvel puzz...hulk bomb.

My scaling is so ridiculous it is the only way to play.

If I choose similar healthed covers as the cpu and try to fair fight it is not. The cpu wrecks me.

So hulk bomb, heal hulk, hulk bomb, heal hulk.

It sucks and it isnt much fun. But there is no other way to beat these nodes.

In app name is same as username if you want to view my roster.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    link to reddit
    PvE Event Difficulty Scaling (self.MarvelPuzzleQuest)
    submitted 4 months ago by Don_Tiny
    Hello all.
    I have a question dovetailing on a comment I saw in another thread.
    It said that PvE Difficulty is scaled to your highest-level character. Assuming that is the case - and I have no reason not to - I was wondering if someone might clarify that statement for me.
    I am curious as to how your 'highest-level character' is chosen ... is it based on:
    - your overall roster?
    - your most recently-used team?
    - highest-level character you have used in that event?
    - something else entirely?
    My experience seems to be to that I usually get a few lev 1/2 opponents, then some 11-14, then after a half-dozen rounds or so I start seeing folks around 94, 166, occasionally some over 200 (yikes).
    If it happens to matter, I try to use "lesser" characters to knock off the lower-level teams, and wait until the difficulty is closer to my better team(s) not only because it seems logical, but also because I was made to understand that one's representative 'team' that others will face in these events is based on the most recent team you utilized ... ergo when everyone's all beat up and it's time for a break, my (presumably) best team is presented to others.
    Thanks in advance for any help you are willing to offer!

Response
    [–]Demiurge_Will 7 points 4 months ago
    Hi, Don_Tiny!
    The difficulty in a Story mission is based on the best team you could bring to bear on that mission. Story events don't look at your most recently used team (Versus events do, though).
    Some missions in Story events also have minimum difficulty levels, and other missions have maximum difficulty levels. So some missions will only get to be a certain difficulty no matter what your roster looks like, and other missions might require a high-level roster.

I read this as your roster does play a factor in your initial levels. So who to believe, lead game designer or a forum mod posting the site admin's screen shots of a test account that has never been played?
    ...So level up those characters and have fun.

Have fun? Have fun playing higher level enemies, those that choose to level up those characters.
  • grunth13
    grunth13 Posts: 608 Critical Contributor
    Options
    lukewin wrote:
    link to reddit
    PvE Event Difficulty Scaling (self.MarvelPuzzleQuest)
    submitted 4 months ago by Don_Tiny
    Hello all.
    I have a question dovetailing on a comment I saw in another thread.
    It said that PvE Difficulty is scaled to your highest-level character. Assuming that is the case - and I have no reason not to - I was wondering if someone might clarify that statement for me.
    I am curious as to how your 'highest-level character' is chosen ... is it based on:
    - your overall roster?
    - your most recently-used team?
    - highest-level character you have used in that event?
    - something else entirely?
    My experience seems to be to that I usually get a few lev 1/2 opponents, then some 11-14, then after a half-dozen rounds or so I start seeing folks around 94, 166, occasionally some over 200 (yikes).
    If it happens to matter, I try to use "lesser" characters to knock off the lower-level teams, and wait until the difficulty is closer to my better team(s) not only because it seems logical, but also because I was made to understand that one's representative 'team' that others will face in these events is based on the most recent team you utilized ... ergo when everyone's all beat up and it's time for a break, my (presumably) best team is presented to others.
    Thanks in advance for any help you are willing to offer!

Response
    [–]Demiurge_Will 7 points 4 months ago
    Hi, Don_Tiny!
    The difficulty in a Story mission is based on the best team you could bring to bear on that mission. Story events don't look at your most recently used team (Versus events do, though).
    Some missions in Story events also have minimum difficulty levels, and other missions have maximum difficulty levels. So some missions will only get to be a certain difficulty no matter what your roster looks like, and other missions might require a high-level roster.

I read this as your roster does play a factor in your initial levels. So who to believe, lead game designer or a forum mod posting the site admin's screen shots of a test account that has never been played?
    ...So level up those characters and have fun.

Have fun? Have fun playing higher level enemies, those that choose to level up those characters.

Does anyone else find it funny that the answer that was given was much more informative on a non-official website vs the answers we get here on the "official" forum? How long have we been asking for them to tell us something about the scaling issue and get cryptic answers. Instead we get this silly non played account with all maxed characters and get the proverbial "So level up those characters and have fun". One would think that if they wanted to give answers, they should give it to everyone or no one. Just like when they let us know that nerfs are coming but don't make an in app acknowledgment. Its very strange that the left hand doesn't know what the right foot is doing.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Thanks for the info on scaling. This confirms my observation about the PvE setup:

Most events now have 9 nodes:
    - 3 low-level nodes are set to have "maximum difficulty levels", meaning they only scale DOWN from the initial level.
    - 3 essential nodes do not have minimum or maximum levels and enemy levels could fluctuate up or down from initial level.
    - 3 high-level nodes are set to have "minimum difficulty levels", meaning they only scale UP from the initial level.

Node's initial levels are most likely based on the BOOSTED levels of USABLE characters.
    - If a character is essential, that character's level + the level of your two best characters are considered.
    - If some of your characters are locked out, whether by event, or by enemy team composition, the levels of locked characters are NOT considered.

If this is "the truth", are you screwed if you level up 2-3 characters to 270 while the rest of your roster is at 94? Not necessarily:
    - If those characters are locked out of a node, the enemy level will take this into consideration.
    - You now have 10 health packs, so even if your best characters are downed, you have more chances to try again.
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    Back again with more truth.
    The last time Meet Rocket and Groot ran the average of my top 4 characters was 125, this current run my top 4 average is 166.
    Here are the results

Sight Seeing
    33/34/34______32/33/33_____33/34/34

Criminal Enterprise
    43/43/43______41/42/41_____43/43/43

King of New York
    102/103/102___128/129/129____55/55/55 (now designated trivial)

A Rocket and a Hard Place
    117/117/117___149/150/150____230/231/230

Disorganized Crime
    55/55/55______54/55/54_____185/186/185 (now designated normal)

A Tree Groots in New York
    96/97/97______123/124/124____190/190/190

A Talking What?
    71/72/71______93/93/93_____132/132/132 (essential Ms. Marvel)

Shoot Out
    70/70/70______86/86/86_____138/139/138 (essential Hulk)

All in the Family
    75/75/75______95/96/95_____143/144/144 (essential Thing)

Surprising to me, trivial nodes started lower than previously, all other nodes were significantly higher

LEVELS MATTER

Back for a third run of Meet Rocket & Groot, my T3 average for this event, 240
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I'm pretty sure it's your performance and an average of the levels of the characters you used recently to achieve that performance. It cannot be strictly performance based because there are guys who run a 'everyone at level 100' who easily does better than someone with a maxed roster. At some point, those guy should hit scaling equal to that of a max roster, and yet their characters are roughly 50% as strong, rendering the game unplayable for those guys. As far as I know nobody has ever reported this, and we already know tanking your PvE performance takes a long time to drive down your scaling (otherwise you could just place very poorly for a few events, and as far as I know people already tried this and found this to not work).

So while it's technically true that your roster doesn't affect your scaling, it only matters if you don't use your highest level characters, which would mean you probably need multiple copies of the same guy.

I can somewhat confirm what Phantron is saying in that my roster is mainly 3*s all at level 110. I normally play more PvE than PvP and it has progressively gotten more difficult over the past several months. Now I am normally facing teams in the 150 to 170 levels towards the end of nodes and have a very difficult time beating them unless I used event boosted characters who are normally at 150 themselves except premier character who is usually about 180 to 200 after event boost. I used to be able to use anyone to form teams but now I basically have to use boosted characters only except every once and awhile I can send in one 110 lvl guy if his skills make sense. I use to place top 25 easily if I tried but now it is much more difficult. The only change in my rosters has been gradually bringing other characters up to lvl 110 and picking up a few new characters here and there. I have banked ISO 8 just to make sure I can optimize covers before choosing who I want to level first to make a few playable teams.
  • fmftint
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    fmftint wrote:
    Back again with more truth.
    The last time Meet Rocket and Groot ran the average of my top 4 characters was 125, this current run my top 4 average is 166.
    Here are the results

Sight Seeing
    33/34/34______32/33/33_____33/34/34____33/34/34

Criminal Enterprise
    43/43/43______41/42/41_____43/43/43____43/43/43

King of New York
    102/103/102___128/129/129____55/55/55____55/55/55 (now designated trivial)

117/117/117___149/150/150____230/231/230____230/231/230

Disorganized Crime
    55/55/55______54/55/54_____185/186/185____204/204/204 (now designated normal)

96/97/97______123/124/124____190/190/190____211/211/211

A Talking What?
    71/72/71______93/93/93_____132/132/132____149/150/149 (essential 2☆Cap)

Shoot Out
    70/70/70______86/86/86_____138/139/138____159/160/160 (essential Colossus)

All in the Family
    75/75/75______95/96/95_____143/144/144____143/144/144 (essential Ghost Rider)

Surprising to me, trivial nodes started lower than previously, all other nodes were significantly higher

LEVELS MATTER

Back for a third run of Meet Rocket & Groot, my T3 average for this event, 240
    Run 4 of Meet Rocket & Groot, T3 average this time 266
  • ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    Options

If I choose similar healthed covers as the cpu and try to fair fight it is not. The cpu wrecks me.

hulk bomb? thats a special name for a special team? hulk/kk/??

so, 9 pages and i still dont know if i can open my legendaries with my 104-capped roster without fear of selling a potential surfer. what to do?
  • PeterGibbons316
    Options
    ammenell wrote:

hulk bomb? thats a special name for a special team? hulk/kk/??

so, 9 pages and i still dont know if i can open my legendaries with my 104-capped roster without fear of selling a potential surfer. what to do?
    Hulk bomb is Hulk/Patch with Hulk out front. Patch's enemy strike tiles trigger Hulk's anger which cascades green for days. It also kills Hulk and so it requires a lot of health packs.

If you open your legendaries and get a 5* it will **** up your scaling in PvE and PvP. To retain your current level of difficulty you will then have to sell your 5* for 2k ISO. If that frightens you then don't open them. If you can accept the fact now that your legendary token has a 90% chance of yielding a 4* character and a 10% chance of yielding 2k ISO then open it.
  • smkspy
    smkspy Posts: 2,024 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    All I know is that when I entered my first lightning round this morning after adding my second 5 star, I was outmatched by opponents from the first set. Didn't even give me the tinker bell starter fights. PVP is over for me for now.
  • The Bookman
    Options
    Seriously... Why are we leveling characters at all?

We should be rewarded for leveling them and made to feel like we've achieved something. I've worked hard getting my top guys to the point where they take lesser enemies out easily... I want to breeze through the lower rounds.. Makes me feel like I've achieved something

As scaling currently works out that just means that we are penalised for leveling characters and winning fights and taking little damage... And it makes the harder figures harder still.

That explains loads... The curve scaling goes on is way too steep and is based on the wrong criteria.

If you use big guys to take out little dudes that are easy then scaling will penalise you for it.

Likewise if you use healers and finish with little damage... Scaling will penalise you for it.

Figured out which characters are good to use against certain opponents? Scaling will penalise you for it.

Lose a lot cos you are a poor player.. Scaling will let you off a bit.

But don't expect scaling to fall off if you lose a couple of matches on purpose... It doesn't work.
  • I'm new and trying to get some 3*s built up. My main source is the DDQ Enchilada, but it just jumped to lvl 99 - 132, which is a bit much for my < 94 roster. Will playing (and killing off) my lower level characters in DDQ eventually knock this back down? I have lost it about 8 times now, and I am still facing 99 - 132. Is my DDQ Enchilada pretty much just screwed now?
  • biryon
    biryon Posts: 148 Tile Toppler
    Options
    DDQ has fixed levels and is not affected by scaling.
  • I'm new and trying to get some 3*s built up. My main source is the DDQ Enchilada, but it just jumped to lvl 99 - 132, which is a bit much for my < 94 roster. Will playing (and killing off) my lower level characters in DDQ eventually knock this back down? I have lost it about 8 times now, and I am still facing 99 - 132. Is my DDQ Enchilada pretty much just screwed now?

In response to this post from earlier, 99-132 is the only range I've seen since I started playing. I have worked up some of my 3 star.png 's now and I have a few at 140 and some between 111-124. I almost ALWAYS use marvel now Mags, classic Storm, and modern Hawkeye all level 94. I have also used wolverine, thor, ares and ms marvel (carol danvers) all level 94 before. It's not so bad when you have a roster that works well together. Even with some of my 3 star.png 's above 132 my range has not raised or changed at all.
  • fmftint
    Options
    Back again
    Event T3 progression 125, 166, 240, 266, 319

Sight Seeing
    33/34/34______32/33/33_____33/34/34____33/34/34____33/34/34

Criminal Enterprise
    43/43/43______41/42/41_____43/43/43____43/43/43___43/43/43

King of New York
    102/103/102___128/129/129____55/55/55____55/55/55____55/55/55 (now designated trivial)

117/117/117___149/150/150____230/231/230____230/231/230____291/302/291

Disorganized Crime
    55/55/55______54/55/54_____185/186/185____204/204/204____246/247/246 (now designated normal)

96/97/97______123/124/124____190/190/190____211/211/211____260/261/261

A Talking What?
    71/72/71______93/93/93_____132/132/132____149/150/149___191/192/191 (essential 2☆Mag)

Shoot Out
    70/70/70______86/86/86_____138/139/138____159/160/160___183/184/184 (essential Hulk)

All in the Family
    75/75/75______95/96/95_____143/144/144____143/144/144____187/187/187 (essential Ant Man)

LEVELS MATTER