The Gauntlet - March 22-27

Options

Comments

• I really wish I had more characters that were getting the boost for this event. icon_razz.gif I'm still back on Sim 20 and wondering if I'll be able to make it to the first Gauntlet Recruit token, let alone the next Gauntlet level or the higher up rewards.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    For a bunch of devs that love to bang on and on about balance, they sure love relying on feeder battles, over leveled 2*s, broken 5/5/5 build characters, and boosts.

Real balanced.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ZootSax wrote:
    I used a whales TU on one node, but otherwise was able to plow through to get my first purpleflag.pngicon_squirrelgirl.png cover. The new MNMagneto with Storm, as others have said, is still really solid, even if it lost something in the change. At some point every node was a case of going through multiple team-wipes until fortune smiled on me (scaling on this event makes no sense to me, as some nodes raised 2-3 levels when they soundly defeated my squad, but dropped 5+ nodes after I beat them--who knows?). There's still two days to get past Hulk/Dino/Thor to get Squirrel Girl's essentials, but even if I don't make it there it's been my best Gauntlet to date. Thanks to everyone posting team advice for 2star rosters.
    _xdrew wrote:
    Stuck on Sim 35 fairly new player with 12 days in. Can anyone help?

My Roster:
    Cyclops(Uncanny) Lvl: 40 0/1/0
    Doctor Doom(Classic) Lvl: 40 0/0/1
    Ragnarok(Dark Avengers) Lvl: 40 1/0/0
    Storm(Mohawk) Lvl: 40 0/1/0
    The Hood(Classic) Lvl: 40 0/0/1
    Iron Man(Model 35) Lvl: 33 5/5/3
    Hawkeye(Modern) Lvl: 33 3/1/1
    Hawkeye(Classic) Lvl: 30 5/5
    Thor(Marvel Now!) Lvl: 23 3/0/1
    Captain America(Modern) Lvl: 22 2/0/0

Seriously needing some help. Thanks in advance!
    dearbluey wrote:
    This is a tough one. You have a very limited roster at the moment, and I can't even imagine what level enemies you're facing with that.
    This is going to sound like odd advice, but I'd recommend perhaps going back into the prologue stories and beating down as many missions as you can there. Get ISO there, in the Lightning Rounds (even if you don't place well, they're great for ISO) and see what covers you can collect from there too.
    You're missing some really handy characters at the moment (1* Storm and Black Widow, for example) which help a lot when you're at your stage of the game. Also, todays Deadpool Daily is Mohawk so you MIGHT be able to push into that and get more iso and another mohawk cover if you're lucky.
    There's still some time left on the Gauntlet - take a bit of it to bulk up Ironman and Hawkeye because right now they're the ones you have fully covered.
    I hope this helps a little?
    even though he tried to be constructive, which is nice, i will be blunt:

sim 35 is PX/LC/Fury, right?

be happy and proud that u managed to get that far, but i think this is the end of gauntlet for u.
    id say redo the sims from the beginning and try to get all four rewards from every node, that would benefit u MUCH MUCH more

I would echo what is said here, but one thing I would add that even though you have several 2- and 3-star characters, it will not be a waste for you to level up a 1-star team. A fully-leveled 1-star roster can comfortably clear the "That Guy From That Place" and "Under The Sea" nodes in the Deadpool Daily (I actually have maxed 1-star IM, mBW & Storm so that I can do those two nodes without requiring additional healing/health packs to tackle other nodes/events, even though I have several maxed 2-star characters). Even if you can't do the other DDQ nodes, yet, 500 iso8.png and a 2-star token every day will really do wonders for your 1-->2-star transition.

Otherwise, you made it impressively far in this event. With some luck, you may be able to go further, but I agree with the other two people I cited that your time might be better spend redoing earlier nodes in the event for iso & tokens.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I made the mistake in selling the 1* characters in exchange for 2* and 3* characters. Rookie move I'm learning now. Grinding to get them back right now but I'm short on stupid HP. I need 100 more to get my next 3 Roster Slots. I also need an alliance because the one I randomly joined is of no help. Sorry if this is the wrong place to be asking but can anyone help with a decent alliance? Thanks again HEAPS everyone!
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    After actually trying with a couple of teams, I just used whoever was left that would survive long enough to gather the TU tiles to drop a Whale bomb. Absolutely hilarious icon_lol.gif

You did however get me lulled into a false sense of security over the final fight. I went in with Hulk, C. Storm, MNMags, boosted b/p and +3 all colors so I could get a Polarity shift off ASAP. Got the purple, but ZERO blue on the board. Next round they get a match 5 and Chuck nukes Mags with his blue.

The End.

I feel the devs are secretly setting the boards up so that they check the characters and boosts your playing with before the tiles drop. Oh you want purple ok, but you also need blue? Sorry. But I have had the same thing happen to me countless times.
  • Leaderboard question. I don't understand how someone who's top char is a lvl 70 xforce is tied for first place in global domination. Im facing lvl 300 opposition. What am I missing?
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    After actually trying with a couple of teams, I just used whoever was left that would survive long enough to gather the TU tiles to drop a Whale bomb. Absolutely hilarious icon_lol.gif

You did however get me lulled into a false sense of security over the final fight. I went in with Hulk, C. Storm, MNMags, boosted b/p and +3 all colors so I could get a Polarity shift off ASAP. Got the purple, but ZERO blue on the board. Next round they get a match 5 and Chuck nukes Mags with his blue.

The End.

I feel the devs are secretly setting the boards up so that they check the characters and boosts your playing with before the tiles drop. Oh you want purple ok, but you also need blue? Sorry. But I have had the same thing happen to me countless times.

It certainly seems that way sometimes icon_e_smile.gif But like my previous hurdles, I was able to overcome by taking solace in the fact that we have 2 days left and that the pendulum WILL swing the other way. I tried that last node again and won it with lucky blue and purple placement followed by being able to get off a couple of Magnetic Flux's to fuel my Wind Storms. The Widow's Sting came in handy as well.

Now I only have the 3 essential icon_squirrelgirl.png nodes to complete the whole thing. It seemed completely impossible, but 2 more days? More lucky cascades? Could happen. I'm not holding my breath, but that Blade greenflag.png is actually a possibility.

If only I had more Whales TU's and a bevy of DP points icon_e_smile.gif
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    j0nats wrote:
    markcoen01 wrote:
    Stuck in 37! Any advice of best team to use for it? Hulk + ? + ?

Any chance i get hulk patch + anyone w use of black that isnt stronger than hulk like capt marvel. Just get 9 green... then wait for a chance to match black. Then fire berserker rage. Once u are able 2 down deadpool, the next target is Ironfist cpz his flying kick is the s*it (esp. If you fired off ur rage). Then hit cage, if u have marvel her red is useful for takin out the protect tile

You need to be careful with busting out a BR when facing Iron Fist, though, especially in this node. His level 272 attack tile was doing 782 damage per turn when I faced him. Add a couple of Patch's strike tiles onto that and you'll be in a world of hurt really quickly.

Berserker Rage is a great move when you're fighting a team that is greatly favored in a drawn out fight, which is definitely true in this case. Although it may seen counterintuitive, taking some 1K+ attack tiles in the face is not a big deal because this gives you a chance to put IF away considerably faster and you definitely weren't going to outlast him to begin with. I use Berserker Rage all the time in heroic events against overscaled Daken/Juggernaut/Ares too. It's not a big deal if the opponent melts your face when they can normally do that with any of their moves already!

Oh mate, it's still my favourite move in the game and I use it all the time, I'm just saying be a little bit careful is all. Which is kinda teaching people to suck eggs I guess, but hey icon_mrgreen.gif
  • ClydeFrog76
    Options
    In other news, I think I've hit the point I can't get past and it's a bit gutting as I was hoping this would be my first Gauntlet completed...I want that Blade green!

Essential 16. I've got a level 15 Squirrel Girl with one purple cover, which I got from the progression rewards. I've had no interest in having her on my roster before now, so obviously she's the hardest essential this time around icon_lol.gif

I've got eight maxed 3*s...Steve, Daken, CMags, Spidey, Hood, Hulk, Frank and Patch. Blade is at 150, Rags 140, Deadpool 120, R&G 114, Doom 100, BP 100, and Cage 100. OBW at 94. That's my A list. Everyone else is 85 or below.

Who the heck do I throw at level 285 Patch, Gorgon and Mystique? icon_cry.gif
  • This post is your friendly reminder that Cap is THE PvE allstar, and that Hood is probably his best friend. My Squirrel Girl has a whole 5 covers, but I still managed to beat her essentials (lvl 350-ish) with the Cap/Hood duo.

The great thing about him is that, unlike other characters, he doesn't run out of steam; he gets better and better as the fight drags on, and by the time you've downed one character, you're basically unstoppable already. Hood helps accelerate your red, and a well-timed Intimidation helps Steve stunlock his opponents, or get the next round of 4k or 8k damage one turn faster.
  • ClydeFrog76
    Options
    I tried that combo last night, but had an unlucky board. Will give it another bash today. Cheers icon_e_smile.gif
  • StevO-J
    StevO-J Posts: 746 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phew... I thought it would be nearly impossible for me to complete this iteration of The Gauntlet because the boosted characters I have are kinda underlevelled and undercovered, but I'm almost done to my surprise. Just finished the essentials on the final sub, only the essentials in the 2 other sub left to go. I had expected the changes to MNMags would be more detrimental than they turn out to be IMHO. Where before when using StormNeto I'd be pretty much only focused on getting blue for Wind Storm, whereas now Polarity Shift is more of an accelerator for Magnetic Flux as well, so yes it is producing less blue but the extra red also causes some serious damage and gets you some nice AP as well (noted that I currently have my MNMags at 4/5/4 so red is mostly damage dealing for me, might switch to 3/5/5 but I think I'll sell him first for the HP it can get me icon_twisted.gif ).

So thanks to the devs for not removing the StormNeto combination for transitioners!

_xdrew wrote:

My Roster:

First, wow... awesome you got this far! I remember the first Gauntlet I did I quit after 3 or 4 nodes in the second sub, and my roster at the time was further along than yours is now, so kudos to you. Just out of curiousity (and if you are reading this), what levels do your opponent have in the nodes you are facing now?

Second, I think maybe Rags/IM35/Hawkeye would be the most versatile team. That may be a little obvious, so I don't know if I'm the right one to give you advice on this.

Btw if you happen to get some MNMags covers in the Lighting Rounds for instance you might want to hang on to them for now, I sold off a 2/0/1 lvl 23 MNMags yesterday for 100 HP, it's not that much but just so you know (I don't know how long the raised sell price lasts).
  • Hulk is also a decent choice against a high level Patch. Perhaps with the boosted Daken for good measure icon_e_smile.gif

I think I used Loki for that one, and baited Patch into a BR.
  • Marty17
    Marty17 Posts: 503 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I manage to meet my minimum (admittedly, my main aim) to earn icon_squirrelgirl.png, now that I've achieved it, as much as I want icon_blade.pnggreenflag.png, I'll take it casual as also I need my roster for PvP (trying out buffed character for roster diversity).
  • _xdrew wrote:

My Roster:

StevO-J wrote:
    First, wow... awesome you got this far! I remember the first Gauntlet I did I quit after 3 or 4 nodes in the second sub, and my roster at the time was further along than yours is now, so kudos to you. Just out of curiousity (and if you are reading this), what levels do your opponent have in the nodes you are facing now?

Second, I think maybe Rags/IM35/Hawkeye would be the most versatile team. That may be a little obvious, so I don't know if I'm the right one to give you advice on this.

Btw if you happen to get some MNMags covers in the Lighting Rounds for instance you might want to hang on to them for now, I sold off a 2/0/1 lvl 23 MNMags yesterday for 100 HP, it's not that much but just so you know (I don't know how long the raised sell price lasts).

Both Nick Fury & Professor X are Lvl: 70 & Luke Cage is at 62. Rags is my tankless character in this Gauntlet. His Lvl is raised to 130 with about 8000 HP. I was using Rags Lvl: 130 Doctor Doom Lvl: 40 & C. America Lvl: 62. The levels are accounting the boosts.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Just managed a first for me, which was to finish the Gauntlet pretty much without boosting. The only node I boosted was Sim 40 vs an overscaled Hood, where I boosted +3 TU AP to drop an X-Force team up on Hood to take him out fast.

I took on the majority of nodes with a Patch/Loki combination, with the bench consisting of 3* Cap, Rocket & Groot, and 3* Thor (all at 166). I also occasionally used boosted 2* Storm (134) in the first two subs, and Falcon came off the bench for goon heavy nodes (level 110). Loki was definitely the MVP for me, I think he really allowed me to tackle high level nodes, both in terms of the Beserker Rage flip, plus AP denial. There was a reasonable amount of finessing, in setting up useless match 4s for the AI. I deliberately kept my X-Force (level 200) on the bench, on the off chance that playing him would result in massively overscaled nodes. The highest level opponent I ended up facing was level 277. Hardest node was definitely Sim 40, followed by Sim 37.
  • ClydeFrog76
    Options
    Essential 16 done with max Steve, Hood and lvl 40 one purple cover Squirrel Cover icon_mrgreen.gif

Three to go!
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    This post is your friendly reminder that Cap is THE PvE allstar, and that Hood is probably his best friend. My Squirrel Girl has a whole 5 covers, but I still managed to beat her essentials (lvl 350-ish) with the Cap/Hood duo.

The great thing about him is that, unlike other characters, he doesn't run out of steam; he gets better and better as the fight drags on, and by the time you've downed one character, you're basically unstoppable already. Hood helps accelerate your red, and a well-timed Intimidation helps Steve stunlock his opponents, or get the next round of 4k or 8k damage one turn faster.

I take it you mean the fully covered, fully leveled 3* Cap? I tried with the boosted 2* Cap and....it was ugly.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    WolfmanX25 wrote:
    This post is your friendly reminder that Cap is THE PvE allstar, and that Hood is probably his best friend. My Squirrel Girl has a whole 5 covers, but I still managed to beat her essentials (lvl 350-ish) with the Cap/Hood duo.

I take it you mean the fully covered, fully leveled 3* Cap? I tried with the boosted 2* Cap and....it was ugly.

Not nearly enough damage from 2* Cap's SSA, unfortunately icon_e_sad.gif Just out of interest, how much damage does it do, boosted?
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Nick Fury's Demolition is so freakin broken.

The amount of times I've killed him and the cascade has set off one of his traps *after he's already dead*. Or the match I made that killed him set all of his traps off.
    But this one tonight took the cake. He sets up Demolition, someone attacks Hulk at full health and sets his anger off. Anger, naturally, sets a trap off so they all go off and one shot him. Okay, bad luck, right?

For some reason...another trap went off and took Steve from full health down to about 980HP. Patch became the focus, Luke Cage did uppercut and killed him.

So I went from a team with nearly full health to one character with 980HP in just one move and two enemy abilities.

And this was after I'd just wiped sitting on 20 green AP and 10 red AP, desperately trying to match Professor X's stupid invisibility tile located in the bottom right of the board with no purples around it while his strike and attack tiles gain in strength every round unable to do a damn thing to him. He was the only character left and had about 3500HP left. One move would have killed him, but I couldn't do a damn thing.
  • The Gunslinger
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    Not nearly enough damage from 2* Cap's SSA, unfortunately icon_e_sad.gif Just out of interest, how much damage does it do, boosted?
    If you're asking about 2* Steve, his SSA does 952 when he's at level 134. So yeah, not too good.