The Gauntlet - March 22-27

Options

Comments

• Blew through the main missions in both the easy and mid subs last night, skipping all the essentials. Hit the first three on the hard sub at lunch, and I'm going to try to get the Squirrel Girl tonight. After that, I'll probably just poke at whatever appeals. I'm rapidly approaching the point where, if I don't want to level all my 4*s up that much, I don't have anything to spend ISO on.
  • Unknown
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My Blade is only 2/1/1, but I don't care that much anyway so I thought I'd give it a try, mostly for the challenge. Not much trouble with the first 2 maps, but now I am stuck in the match against 250 Deadpool/Iron Fist/Luke Cage. This match made me hate Iron Fist. Close to 800 damage attack tiles hitting ever turn and there ισ nothing I can do about them because Deadpool jumps in front when I try to take out IF. Match damage is reduced to 0 thanks to Cage's tile (close to 380 defense). I tried several teams with XF/CMagneto/LThor/ Hood/Daken but the outcome is always the same. I might try with BP next time and use his strike tiles to overcome the stupid tile of Cage. It feels too much work for one cover so I man skip the event and relax for 4 more days. If this is an indication of what pvp will be with the buffed heroes the devs choose each time, I doubt their experiment will find many fans.

Rage post: I hate dumb powers like IF's black and Cage's red. All you have to do is bring them with you and stand back while they do their thing. Your contribution as player is near 0 in that team.
  • Alchemist4 wrote:
    This thing is not 2 star roster friends at all. Keep getting destroyed by IF, doom and storm. So they only boost one good 2 star in storm but add her to these nodes. Great thinking

You need a big roster, lots of covers and some luck for Gauntlet.

Which is actually strange because this awards 3 3* covers, where the players with the best rosters would rather have the normal format which awards a 4*
  • People are way too fixiated on Luke Cage. Even at 395 it's something like 600 damage reduced, which is relatively small compared to the moves you're expected to use to take out guys at that level. On the other hand, match damage is already pretty irrelevent on guys in the level 200+ range so the fact that it's 1 should not impact your game very much. The IF/Deadpool/Luke Cage fight is hard because you have both IF and Deadpool acting as an extra life bar, and it should be approached like attacking a high regenerating character (Patch). You just focus on making the best matches you can and when you have enough you unload to get rid of Deadpool in one massive salvo, and then you get to do this all over again for Iron Fist. If any of your best moves is a board shaker there's a pretty good chance you'll get rid of Luke Cage's protect tile, but it really doesn't matter because having a 600 protect tile isn't going to matter when you've to dish out something close to 30K damage from moves to take out both IF + Deadpool, and that's why that fight is hard and has nothing to do with Luke Cage. Well, Luke Cage does provide an outlet for IF's purple, so maybe you should wait until IF is nerfed so that it is slightly less devastating.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Alchemist4 wrote:
    This thing is not 2 star roster friends at all. Keep getting destroyed by IF, doom and storm. So they only boost one good 2 star in storm but add her to these nodes. Great thinking

Which is actually strange because this awards 3 3* covers, where the players with the best rosters would rather have the normal format which awards a 4*

Pretty heavily on the Luck, actually. I'm getting stalled out halfway through the 2nd event. I feel like I ought to be in better shape given what I've got to work with, but I'm once again stalled out with lots of dead heroes. Fortunately I have 4 more days to luck into my own series of murderous cascades.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    Wow. Screw Sim 38. Not because it is hard, but because of the luck I had. Enemy team made a green match 5 after my first move and it rolled into a yellow match 5, which rolled into a TU tile match 7????? All falling from the sky in one row column. Took out my IF in one move. Really?

I'm out of Health packs currently. But once I get health, I will defeat that team soon icon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gificon_twisted.gif .......
  • Phantron wrote:
    People are way too fixiated on Luke Cage.

600 damage reduced is a big deal. That's 600 damaged reduced for every match made every turn and every power used. They add up.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Alchemist4 wrote:

Pretty heavily on the Luck, actually. I'm getting stalled out halfway through the 2nd event. I feel like I ought to be in better shape given what I've got to work with, but I'm once again stalled out with lots of dead heroes. Fortunately I have 4 more days to luck into my own series of murderous cascades.

You're 100% right. The thing people don't understand about gauntlet is it's 100% luck in the later nodes.

There's a bit of luck in most of MPQ, but in the gauntlet its ratcheted to maximum unfairness. We're talking about Arcade game that's gonna eat your quarters unfair.

It's nowhere near a fair fight when enemies are 100+ levels above you, have 15 covers, and block your own roster(You wanted to use X-Force? Too bad!).

I got pretty lucky this time around(and whaled nodes 38 39 40 41) and was able to MagStorm most of it. If there was a bad board, I was probably dead. If my enemies got a match 5, I was definitely dead(quite literally thanks to Professor X).

In short, things have to play out perfectly during the later gauntlet nodes.
    Phantron wrote:
    People are way too fixiated on Luke Cage.

600 damage reduced is a big deal. That's 600 damaged reduced for every match made every turn and every power used. They add up.

What Phantron is saying is it doesn't matter in the long run - I'd be more worried about Iron Fist's tile than Luke's.
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    What Phantron is saying is it doesn't matter in the long run - I'd be more worried about Iron Fist's tile than Luke's.

This. I find it helps to take a tanky regenerator in to negate the effect of IF's attack tile (ie - Rocket & Groot). Helps keep your team alive long enough to drop Deadpool and IF. R&G also do double duty - if you can drop I Gotta Plan, it also negates the effects of Cage's protect tile.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    There's a bit of luck in most of MPQ, but in the gauntlet its ratcheted to maximum unfairness. We're talking about Arcade game that's gonna eat your quarters unfair.
    If only I could get the same satisfaction from MPQ as I did from the Metal Slug series, I would happily pay. Sadly, this is not the case and MPQ is way more greedy.

My last try ended ingloriously (still against IF/Cage/Deadpool). I was pumped up and ready, even boosted. On turn 1 the AI get one of those freak cascades. Turn 3 it plays IF's green. By turn 5 XF is down to 3.5k health. GG and good night for me.
  • Arimis_Thorn
    Arimis_Thorn Posts: 541 Critical Contributor
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Alchemist4 wrote:

You're 100% right. The thing people don't understand about gauntlet is it's 100% luck in the later nodes.

It's nowhere near a fair fight when enemies are 100+ levels above you, have 15 covers, and block your own roster(You wanted to use X-Force? Too bad!).

I got pretty lucky this time around(and whaled nodes 38 39 40 41) and was able to MagStorm most of it. If there was a bad board, I was probably dead. If my enemies got a match 5, I was definitely dead(quite literally thanks to Professor X).

In short, things have to play out perfectly during the later gauntlet nodes.

I was finally able to get through the 2nd event, but again, it was largely because the Luck pendulum swung back my way. I Hulk Bombed with Patch as often as I was able and got in a couple MNMags + CStorm before the update went live.

So I got my Daken blueflag.png, and anything else I get is gravy. The icon_squirrelgirl.pngpurpleflag.png would be nice, but I'm not counting on it. The icon_blade.pnggreenflag.png is almost certainly a pipe dream.
  • I can't even get darken because I don't own a ragnarok. :/
  • nnypirate wrote:
    I can't even get darken because I don't own a ragnarok. :/

You had your chance....? Dark Avengers: Heroic was easy to place in.
    Narkon wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    If only I could get the same satisfaction from MPQ as I did from the Metal Slug series, I would happily pay. Sadly, this is not the case and MPQ is way more greedy.

My last try ended ingloriously (still against IF/Cage/Deadpool). I was pumped up and ready, even boosted. On turn 1 the AI get one of those freak cascades. Turn 3 it plays IF's green. By turn 5 XF is down to 3.5k health. GG and good night for me.

To be fair, i think even the worst metal slug is prob better balanced than this game, lol
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In Global Domination, who's the required character for the first set of subs? I'm stuck on Sim 33 (Hood/Falcon/Blade), but have a Whales TU I could use to get past it. Unfortunately, I don't have Rags, so if he's the first essential it won't help me. I do have Squirrel Girl, so if she's in the first essential group of subs, I could probably get enough points to finally get her purple cover. If not, I don't want to waste the TU, because I've never come close before to finishing the non-essential nodes in Global Domination before and only got the 3-star reward through having the required characters for subs. Fortunately, in the worst case, I'll have a chance for her purple from DDQ.

Win or lose, this has been an entertaining event so far...
  • SnagglePuss
    SnagglePuss Posts: 702 Critical Contributor
    Options
    ZootSax wrote:
    In Global Domination, who's the required character for the first set of subs? I'm stuck on Sim 33 (Hood/Falcon/Blade), but have a Whales TU I could use to get past it. Unfortunately, I don't have Rags, so if he's the first essential it won't help me. I do have Squirrel Girl, so if she's in the first essential group of subs, I could probably get enough points to finally get her purple cover.

As above, i'm stuck on that node..
    Kill off hood because he's taking your AP, while making sure there are less than 10 red. Until they drop in straight from the top.
    With Hood dead do you take out Falcon who's busy buffing all the tiles. Or Blade who is pumping out the tiles and has more HP.
    Last attempt would have been fine until a lucky cascade leads to Falcons Bird attack, which means another few turns trying to clear them out.

If SQ is't manageable, there's no point doing the Global
  • ZootSax wrote:
    In Global Domination, who's the required character for the first set of subs? I'm stuck on Sim 33 (Hood/Falcon/Blade), but have a Whales TU I could use to get past it. Unfortunately, I don't have Rags, so if he's the first essential it won't help me.
    It's Rags. I used Laken to tank purple for Deadpool and just dropped
    Whales! on all those essentials, didn't feel like duking it out with Thora three times in a row.
  • raisinbman wrote:
    Alchemist4 wrote:

luck is exactly what I've been relying on in the final map. Was able to get through with my under covered cage with thor & obw. Cages two red covers some what lowered the attack tile damage.
    thanos8587 wrote:
    Alchemist4 wrote:

i didnt get to the third stage of my first two gauntlets and ive still never finished one (day 145). i wont finish this one either since the final prize is blade green and ive got that maxed (what are the odds?) and theres really no point of going farther than SG.

it gets better and more fun when you have the 3* essentials reasonably covered, but its so random as to who those are. agreed that the 2* buffs for this one are a bit lousy.
    i was able to finish the last one because they actually picked good characters to boost. unfortunately, I don't have daken and my the other characters suck besides storm. With mags update finally in place, I don't think I'll be finishing this one though. I really need & want that blade cover.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ZootSax wrote:
    I'm stuck on Sim 33 (Hood/Falcon/Blade), but have a Whales TU I could use to get past it. Unfortunately, I don't have Rags, so if he's the first essential it won't help me. I do have Squirrel Girl, so if she's in the first essential group of subs, I could probably get enough points to finally get her purple cover. If not, I don't want to waste the TU, because I've never come close before to finishing the non-essential nodes in Global Domination before and only got the 3-star reward through having the required characters for subs. Fortunately, in the worst case, I'll have a chance for her purple from DDQ.

Win or lose, this has been an entertaining event so far...
    I managed to beat it with Storm-neto +mHawkey along with iso-boosting blurple.
    Was able to get 1 Wind Storm off early to stun Falcon as I had a red heavy board that Blade kept popping those strike tiles.
    Once I was able to down Hood via match damage, it was a race get enough AP to fire off any power which happened to be the new and improved Magnetic Flux.
    Had enough for 1 Wind Storm with mHawkeye nearly being downed for it to stun Blade while downing Falcon with match damage.
    I won but all 3 took significant damage necessitating health packs for all.
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So who else rushed through the gauntlet before the patch? Cage magstique got a proper send off on about a third of the hard nodes with 4hor carrying through about half of them.

On the blade falcon hood node I believe I downed Blade first with hulk patch (professor x?). My hulk isn't maxed so he was only tanking black but it actually worked out. Xforce 4hor Loki got destroyed because the board was nothing but red and yellow and they were doing 3k match damage by turn 4
  • dkffiv wrote:
    So who else rushed through the gauntlet before the patch? Cage magstique got a proper send off on about a third of the hard nodes with 4hor carrying through about half of them.

On the blade falcon hood node I believe I downed Blade first with hulk patch (professor x?). My hulk isn't maxed so he was only tanking black but it actually worked out. Xforce 4hor Loki got destroyed because the board was nothing but red and yellow and they were doing 3k match damage by turn 4

I had Iron Fist doing most of the work. Thor made a cameo appearance or two when X Force or Iron Fist isn't available.