**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Options

Comments

• I'm gonna go ahead and say it again: IF purple is still all kinds of borked. That move is teddybonkers, and we'll never see clean play in a balanced meta with that kind of sloppy design flopping around.
  • Not a single person has commented on the idea to simply ban Prof X + IF + QS and Prof X + gsBW.

Is it a bad idea?

There really shouldn't be a need for nerfs just because Prof X is broken in rare circumstances.

I said just make Master Plan not work when paired up with an overpowered character!

Quicksilver isn't even an enabler because without IF you'd never have the endless black AP to try to funnel into more matches. I had a lot of double/triple Rage of the Panther in the Simulator before turn 10, and on a good board you can do double Rage of the Panther (or pick any decent black power and it's almost as ridiculous) by turn 5.

GSBW probably will get retuned for the same reason Magneto MN did. Deceptive Tactics is 4 matches, so it's harder to abuse, but it's almost functionally identical to the old Polarity Shift and it's probably on a better color in general (blue AP was never that great, while green AP is almost always great).
  • Not a single person has commented on the idea to simply ban Prof X + IF + QS and Prof X + gsBW.

Is it a bad idea?

There really shouldn't be a need for nerfs just because Prof X is broken in rare circumstances.
    well, they could just use the ELO ban system for PVP, but then again, they don't seem to balance in PVP vs in PVE...
  • Vinmarc43
    Vinmarc43 Posts: 266
    Options
    Prof x needs fixing blue and pink and Iron fist attack tile should be reduce to 300 max damage so luke would be is counter.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vinmarc43 wrote:
    Prof x needs fixing blue and pink and Iron fist attack tile should be reduce to 300 max damage so luke would be is counter.

Congratulations, you have won the prestigious 'nerfs characters even worse than the devs' award. I didn't think I would see it in my time, but there it is. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Good fix. And to all you think this is a nerf, this fixes a problem while keeping the power because trust me this is going to be much better than what will happen
    This is exactly the point. The devs always overshoot the mark by a few miles on these nerfs. You've seen it enough to know this. The only possible outcome of a thread like this is to accelerate their nerf timetable.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Just stop with the nerf talk. Please. Stop.

I might be one of the people who would benefit the most from a Professor X nerf (I don't have him and it seems like everyone at 1000+ in PVP kicks my **** with him), but I am vehemently against nerfing him, on principle

And lol while smh at everyone who says it's not ok to nerf Prof X but please nerf Iron Fist. C'mon dude.
  • evil panda wrote:
    Just stop with the nerf talk. Please. Stop.

I might be one of the people who would benefit the most from a Professor X nerf (I don't have him and it seems like everyone at 1000+ in PVP kicks my **** with him), but I am vehemently against nerfing him, on principle

And lol while smh at everyone who says it's not ok to nerf Prof X but please nerf Iron Fist. C'mon dude.
    Can't stop won't stop
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    can you beat teams with Ares? maybe you should try to get D3 to nerf him too icon_lol.gif
  • Here's a fix that works for me. Push that handy little Skip button. Don't want to fight a certain character? Don't! And unless everyone else is extremely unlucky, I won't be convinced the only fights past 1k involve PX. Since they don't. Or solution 2 is Whale up and fight fire with fire. Either way we don't need more nerfs.
  • Boldbrute wrote:
    Here's a fix that works for me. Push that handy little Skip button. Don't want to fight a certain character? Don't! And unless everyone else is extremely unlucky, I won't be convinced the only fights past 1k involve PX. Since they don't. Or solution 2 is Whale up and fight fire with fire. Either way we don't need more nerfs.
    we need as many nerfs as D3's oversight requires.
  • Honestly, after the recent nerfs we've seen on the game, I can't believe we have such a thread again.

I'm playing Prof X consistently, and he is nothing compared to ex-XF or ex-GT.

Yet, he's the new target on the forum.

I'm sorry Phaser, I like you, but I'll thumb you down for that.

I'm sick of these nerf calls.
  • arktos1971 wrote:
    Honestly, after the recent nerfs we've seen on the game, I can't believe we have such a thread again.

I totally agree, he has some good abilities but they require some strategy and a bit of luck to really use. Games with the prof can be long but he's easily countered and (this is the main point so pay attention) you don't need a prof x of your own to counter him.
    All in all I think his powers are balanced and rewarding once he gets going and FAR from op. Imo he's one of the best designs in the game as there isn't a one spec to rule them all, you can fit him to your playstyle and roster.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    arktos1971 wrote:
    Honestly, after the recent nerfs we've seen on the game, I can't believe we have such a thread again.

I'm not calling for a nerf, I'm calling for a fix, because the AP generation on this skill the way that it is, breaks future team comps and causes all sorts of problems with future characters. I like Prof X, while I don't have him covered I think he is cool design, but the way he creates infinite combo problems is not good for the game, Spidey got it, C.Mags got it, Mystique got it, MnMags got it PX is going to get his blue nerfed, it's going to happen because of what it does, to even deny this fact is just ignorance, but coming up with a smarter way to do this skill while still leaving it very powerful just not infinite is just smart. So take that +4 AP and turn it into CD tiles that generate 1 AP of your teams strongest color each turn until the tile runs out, I put my newest version on the front, but this is just smart and as much as you don't want him changed you know that he's broken with the AP generation as is.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    arktos1971 wrote:

I'm not calling for a nerf, I'm calling for a fix,

D3 has demonstrated time and again that they do not possess the sophistication to simply "fix" a character who may be slightly out of balance.

So in this respect...i'm with Arktos on this one. Please stop with all the Nerf talk.

Thanks.

marc
  • simonsez wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Good fix. And to all you think this is a nerf, this fixes a problem while keeping the power because trust me this is going to be much better than what will happen
    This is exactly the point. The devs always overshoot the mark by a few miles on these nerfs. You've seen it enough to know this. The only possible outcome of a thread like this is to accelerate their nerf timetable.

To be fair the devs ignore potential problems until they become ubiquitous and oppressive to diverse gameplay and they feel they are forced to finally address the problem that has been staring them in the face for months while people have been spending money on covers that whole time. They see that character as now "too common" so they swing the bat harder than necessary so players actually want to move onto other newer characters, because the player with the "best" team likely stops spending nearly as much after they have that team in the bank as they do trying to earn them.

That pattern is unfortunate in many ways but it makes a lot of sense from the business end. So on our end, we would be better served by preemptive balancing. If there is a broken combo some have it already and some will be working towards it, and some still have no idea of its existence. If the problem is fixed BEFORE the number of people running said combo gets out of hand it can be done without swinging for the kneecaps.

So from the devs perspective, the two choices when something is too OP. Fix it fairly and early, or take it out at the knees because too many people are running said OP combo and they need to force players to try other things. Don't honestly know if PX is going down that road or not, but I would rather see them make a subtle adjustment now than be forced to do what they did to 4thor down the line.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I would rather see them make a subtle adjustment now than be forced to do what they did to 4thor down the line.
    But they weren't forced to do a bad nerf. That's just what they do, consistently. That's why I'd prefer people not goad them into doing it.
  • simonsez wrote:
    I would rather see them make a subtle adjustment now than be forced to do what they did to 4thor down the line.
    But they weren't forced to do a bad nerf. That's just what they do, consistently. That's why I'd prefer people not goad them into doing it.

I explained why it makes sense for them to over nerf characters like sentry, GT, and x-force even if we don't like that answer. You are asking them to never make adjustments on anyone for any reason, I am asking them to tackle small problems before they get out of hand and become large problems, for the most part they likely aren't going to listen to either of us, but if they do it sooner they are less likely to break anyone as if they let it get out of hand. Or at least that is my understanding of the pattern. But likely it is good for business to let it get out of hand, let people buy into the hype and only then act. That pattern is very bad for the players, lets advocate what we can to avoid that particular trap.
  • simonsez wrote:

i could not agree more. I feel like we are consistently "telling on ourselves" to D3 on these boards. We have a much more in depth working knowledge of synergies than they do simply because of how much we play this game. Most likely, the Devs would eventually get around to making OP characters completely useless, but i feel like with all of the "Nerf this person" "Nerf that Person"...we are accelerating this process greatly.

They get valuable information quickly and we get a nerfed into oblivion character that we spent time and in some cases money leveling. Let's stop doing their work for them.

marc
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    djsquillz wrote:
    simonsez wrote:

i could not agree more. I feel like we are consistently "telling on ourselves" to D3 on these boards. We have a much more in depth working knowledge of synergies than they do simply because of how much we play this game. Most likely, the Devs would eventually get around to making OP characters completely useless, but i feel like with all of the "Nerf this person" "Nerf that Person"...we are accelerating this process greatly.

They get valuable information quickly and we get a nerfed into oblivion character that we spent time and in some cases money leveling. Let's stop doing their work for them.

marc

I think you are overestimating our importance and underestimating their play testing and balance. However, because I have a decent roster, I get grouped with the big guns, and when they are running combos in PvE that push the scaling quicker than I like it's frustrating. When Spidey got nerfed there was a huge decrease in scaling, when C.Mags got nerfed there was another one. So stopping characters from doing degenerative combos is better for the game long term.