**** Professor X (Charles Xavier) ****

Options

Comments

• I just get a good laugh everytime his head pops up on a blue passive. Lol. My 0/0/1 Xavier doesn't do much.

That is all.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    My ProX has two purple covers. I'd like to share this with you all:

I took Wheelchair Charlie along with Patch and Laken, and fought against their ProfX (1 blue), maxed Cmags and Loki. It went badly from the start - I was half asleep and saw a match-5...matched it. It cascaded into a second match 5. Awesome! Except that's a large scattering of Loki tiles. Oops. Long story snipped down, Patch and Laken are dead, their Loki is dead and Cmags is at half health. I throw out xavier's purple...

Magneto drops a bunch of defense tiles.

He can't hurt me as my purple is in a corner. Yay. And i can hurt him...1 damage, 1 damage, 1 damage....trying to clear shield tiles, 1 damage, 1 damage...

Meanwhile, he throws skills at me like they're going out of style. 0 damage. Yay.

25 minutes later...Magneto is dowwwn! Time to hit the Professor!

I match 3, which does a little damage. Yays! He...gets Board Shake since SUDDENLY there are no more matches. He matches away my invisibility. I throw up another! He matches it away - cascade! Match 5! Free turn for him which I should have paid attention to....

...because he drops a **** Whales Whales Whales teamup on my Charlie's head.

I almost had him....

This is not a complaint. The match was interesting. But it does show Charlie can hold off determined attacks even at base level...at least for a while. Just not a whale. icon_razz.gif

Just a prime example of how much of a beast he is on defense. If what you described happened on a shield hop, you would have lost not only the points from the battle but 100s more. It would be in the hoppers best interest to just retreat to minimize the damage. He looks like an instant skip for me if I need to hop. If not a hop but a climb he isn't so bad.
  • RWTDBurn
    RWTDBurn Posts: 291
    Options
    Purple is broken power. It is too powerful. It is not fun.

It can go up and stay up indefinitely. If it's in a corner, it might take 20 turns to clear. Then, it can immediately be raised again. It needs to be "redirects attacks away from prof x unless he is last one alive" or "consumes 1 purple a turn" to justify the low cost.

I agree with this. Though I like the ability, it needs to have a turn limit on it.
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His yellow isn't completely worthless, if one or more of his attack tiles are still out when he's last man standing and inviz, every match increases the damage output and damage per turn can ramp up pretty fast.

I don't think purple is broken, it's just something you have to keep in mind when composing your team. You nedd to bring team damage and/or board shakeup to be able to deal with it. Otherwise the prof will definitely slow you down in pvp, but he's unlikely to be the cause of a defensive win unless the ai gets lucky with match-5's.

But likewise, on attack an offensive win with just chuck left will also take very long, so he's impractical to use when shield hopping yourself.

I think he's a very strong pve character and a good pvp scarecrow against shield hoppers looking for a quick win, but he's definitely not overpowered. It's nice to have a character that feels and plays different for a change.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I'm playing Prof. X's PVP with him at level 105, 1/0/0. He is still pretty useful with this one cover. If I had to make one change to him, I'd have his blue always "absorb" the match-5 critical tile (mummudrai?) so that it's never created. It's pretty easy to get a chain of match-5s going when there are crits on the board.
  • babinro
    babinro Posts: 771 Critical Contributor
    Options
    355 Xavier player here.

Mine is currently level 180 which happily buffed to exactly level 270!
    Go figure.

Having been able to 'properly' test him I've got to admit that I'm happy with build choice. Crits are scarce in this game and dealing 2839 damage for one is plenty. I see the appeal of uber rushing crit builds with GSBW or IF but both of those take up your your purple slot.

Having tested several characters I fell on XF/Xavier/Daken as my favorite offensively.

Xavier would tank purple, blue, TU's, and Yellow. Upon tanking said colour he'd duck behind a true healer to take incoming damage. It wouldn't take long for tile damage to easily exceed what patch does with 5 green covers all while having a massive protect tile and no drawbacks. Using XF green early to clear out low health enemies is still as pivotal as ever despite the poor synergy with allied specialty tiles. SS never felt problematic either.

I fully expect this trio to see a lot of play in PvE and I could see myself climbing pvp's with Xavier/(featured)/Daken as well.

Is he the new Thor of PvP?
    I seriously doubt it. He's fun and promotes a playstyle we don't see as much but I don't feel he's fast and consistent enough to be top tier offensive PvP material. He'll make for an excellent defensive deterrent with Iron Fist though.
  • he's fun because he is so OP?, sure.
  • A build like 3/5/5 is quite overpowered but since a 3/5/5 build basically means you only have to defend purple to completely take out one character I think it's warranted. I had some really tough games against teams that are built for 3/5/5 since as long as even an attack tile gets on the board after Prof X goes invisible the game is going to be over pretty shortly. If you have 5 in blue then he's more of a combo person, though 5/5/3 can do both if paired with someone else that can reliably generate a strike or an attack tile.
  • I'm astounded at how many times the AI can cascade into a critical into another critical! So many health packs used...

Maybe I'm just having a bad day.
  • I just get a good laugh everytime his head pops up on a blue passive. Lol. My 0/0/1 Xavier doesn't do much.

That is all.
    That **** is straight-up terrifying.
  • PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    His big bald head and spooky monster eyes is a little scary when it pops up. However, I really like the guy - as others have mentioned, he's kind of a cool Falcon/Hawkeye hybrid, and I loves me some Falcon. I think he might be the most fun 4-star out there, in terms of making ridiculous board setups. I can't imagine what he'd be like in the final wave of the DDQ. Actually, I can - probably just lots of insane cackling and cruel pointing at the comical "O" of surprise on the 4th wave's collective face as the round starts with 2000+ worth of protect, strike, and attack tiles. My 0/0/0 Prof X has a way to go before I get to relish in such an event.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    can icon_falcon.png redwing take over icon_professorx.png invisibility tile?
  • Raffoon
    Raffoon Posts: 884
    Options
    Invisibility tiles are the most frustrating mechanic in the game to play against.

Now they're available for 7 ap icon_e_surprised.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    OnyxSnake wrote:
    He's the reason that Mags got nerfed.

Bingo! icon_lol.gif however, even post nerf mnmag purple can still do a 5 match if there are enough blue tiles nearby. So beware~~~ icon_twisted.gif
  • puppychow
    puppychow Posts: 1,453
    Options
    The most terrifying thing to me, as a top 100 pvp player, is seeing a match up w/ a 5 blue covered, high level Prof X. A 5-match by the Ai will do a few thousand damage instantly. Even the purple invisible ability can be avoided if you don't allow AI to match purples. Not so w/ his blue passive.

If a matchup w/ Prof X is unavoidable, he's clearly the priority target.
  • Yeah I'm firmly in the camp that says 5 blue is absolutely mandatory and by (very) far his best ability.

Every single time PX got a crit with 5 blue this pvp his team absolutely owned me. If he didn't, I only noticed he was even there if he got an invis tile in one of the corners and I had to slowly AoE him to death.
  • konannfriends
    konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    Options
    main i got my first taste of him this human torch pvp. level 216 (had to be fujlly covered) i was down to my last health packs i used it on my 280 hood. my 180 patch had 3k health left. i figured hed heal up.

vs 280 lazy thor, 165 torch, and 216 xavier.

i could do it. so boom i make the first match of green so i could get these strike tiles out just incase patch did die. then boom a straight line match five drops after i match and boom the ai matches. Poltergeist takes over my phone and deals 4100 damage and takes out patch. I retreated......
  • Hi guys, I was wondering if the Professor would be already serviceable with a 0/5/5 build. I don't have his blue cover yet and I'm contemplating maxing his purple and yellow and his using him for PVE as shy falcon 2.0. Any comments and suggestions on this idea?
  • dkffiv wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    hawklanzs wrote:
    I think prof xavier is overpowered. He has the same health as Nick Fury. How is this possible? He's in a wheelchair! In the comic books he could never last in a physical combat. So please reduce he's hitpoints. It makes no sense. He's abilities are already overpowered.

This is more evidence that Nick Fury needs his health reworked than Prof X has too much. In 3* land, Prof X would be a 5350 probably, MAYBE 6800 while I see Nick Fury as more of an 8500 character. Fury needs 10960 at least, if not more.

Professor X probably needs Hood / Storm / IW level squishiness. Nick Fury is probably fine where he is (I believe he's 5950 tier?), same toughness as Black Widow. 6800 would put him at Punisher tier (Punisher probably needs to get bumped to 7650, Iron Fist should be lowered to 6800).

So I am the only one who thinks any character portrayed by Samuel L Jackson deserves to be a badass then?
  • NighteyesGrisu
    NighteyesGrisu Posts: 563 Critical Contributor
    Options
    onimus wrote:
    His blue is one of the most powerfully unreliable abilities in the game.

Putting 5 in his blue is like hitting on 16 in blackjack.

It's wasted most of the time.

But man, when it goes off; you just won the game.

His purple is nice because if he is your last man, you can bide your time and hope for some match 5s.

But his yellow is horrific. Pretty much a waste of an ability. It had so much potential before D3 neutered it.

I agree with you on blue and purple, but totally agree with you on yellow. It's pretty useless below 4 covers, but once you get there, he becomes a beast. he places 2-3 (somewhat weakish, but whatever) special tiles for free. Couple him with some tank that has a quick ability (like dino, or gamora, etc) and you suddenly have loads of special tiles. couple it with his purple (which is quite cheap) and these tiles suddenly become powerful...at least that's what I experienced when I faced off a 5y charles....I was dead quite fast :/