*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Comments

• hurcules wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Why. Can't. We. Target. Traps.

A blind lawyer who can't set his trap wherever he wishes actually sounds more logical than the best Avenger marksman who couldn't place his countdown tile wherever he wishes.

I believe you've never read a single Daredevil comic in your life. The man can deflect bullets and hit up to seven people at once with his billy clubs just by calculating how they're going to hit.

If I had to place bets between daredevil and hawkeye in an accuracy contest, I'd bet every penny I own on Matt.
  • I had some fun playing with my Daredevil in the Balance of Power tourney. I used Daredevil/IM40/Human Torch and I recharge and just place traps out everywhere granted it probably took me longer to kill the enemy than if I would have just used IM40s abilities. But it was a mildly fun character mix.
  • ark123 wrote:
    hurcules wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    Why. Can't. We. Target. Traps.

A blind lawyer who can't set his trap wherever he wishes actually sounds more logical than the best Avenger marksman who couldn't place his countdown tile wherever he wishes.

I believe you've never read a single Daredevil comic in your life. The man can deflect bullets and hit up to seven people at once with his billy clubs just by calculating how they're going to hit.

If I had to place bets between daredevil and hawkeye in an accuracy contest, I'd bet every penny I own on Matt.
    You are right I haven't read any DD comics. But my comment was more of a dig at MPQ's implementation of DD and Hawkeye than actual character strengths/awesomeness.
  • I want to make a suggestion for Daredevil in light of R60. Make tiles destroyed by Surgical Strike trigger traps. This means Daredevil can counter X Force easily if red is your strongest match color.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Does opponent's Daken's purple not overwrite trap tiles anymore? I remembered seeing Daken only generated 1 strike tile as opposed to 2 because it would have overwritten the red trap tile.
  • himatako wrote:
    Does opponent's Daken's purple not overwrite trap tiles anymore? I remembered seeing Daken only generated 1 strike tile as opposed to 2 because it would have overwritten the red trap tile.

Your Daken won't overwrite your own traps, but I haven't paid attention to the opponent's Daken.
  • himatako wrote:
    Bet you 5 bucks that enemy Daken only had 4 purple covers or some such and couldn't create 2 strile tiles at once. As far as I know, any special tile creating abilities still overwrite enemy traps.
  • I hadn't read through this thread before I posted my suggestion in the Suggestion forum but it sounds like some of the ideas in this thread kind of fit in what I came up with. My suggestion wasn't to change Daredevil, but to change how traps trigger/get placed/look, in general. The changes would also affect Fury, but his blue power is already random and we see how effective that is. Here's the link to my suggestion since it's too long to post here.

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15157
  • I just played the daredevil+goons node in the hard sub. I made a match that cascaded into 2 more matches, one of which was red and had an ambush trap. I killed him with this cascade, but the trap tile still went off. Is this supposed to happen? Would it only happen if the red match wasn't the last one, the one that killed him? because I dont remember the order of the cascade.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Damage and special effects from a cascade is resolved as each new match is made. If the red trap match was before the match that killed DD, then this is working correctly.
  • DayvBang wrote:
    Damage and special effects from a cascade is resolved as each new match is made. If the red trap match was before the match that killed DD, then this is working correctly.
    More than that, if the red trap match kills DD, Ambush still triggers.

To OP: Yes it's intended. You would only avoid it if you killed DD with a match that would not cause any trap-containing cascades.
  • Ah, good to know. Thanks guys
  • I can see it's already been brought up a few times but just wanted to say I agree that Daredevil's traps really should work more like Fury's. I love the concept of a trap mechanic but the way DD places them now it's so unlikely for one to ever go off it just feel like a waste of AP. Make the usage of a trap skill create multiple trapped tiles like Fury's, DD's red trap should pretty much be EXACTLY the same, maybe just tweak the damage to be inline with a star.pngstar.pngstar.png character. His blue skill could create 5 blue trap tiles (at max covers) if you trigger one yourself it stuns the targeted enemy for one turn, if an enemy trips one they all trigger for as many turns as there are trap tiles remaining. Purple could work just the same, steal 1 of each color if you clear it yourself or all for the remaining number of traps when done by enemy.

This simple change would make DD IMMENSELY more usable. Preferably, though, he should have at least one ability that is not trap based so he's not useless against goons, who never trigger traps themselves.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly I think that making multiple tiles (like Fury) would go a long way towards fixing Daredevil.

Take the existing damages, and split it between 4-5 traps. Make the traps activate together if the opponent matches them, but only the single trap and reduced effect (like currently just split) if DD's team matches it. Tiles shouldn't return when matched in either case.

As far as Goons, make the tiles free to work on ANY color, & IF a goon overwrites the tile, count it as a match.
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    adamLmpq wrote:
    I can see it's already been brought up a few times but just wanted to say I agree that Daredevil's traps really should work more like Fury's. I love the concept of a trap mechanic but the way DD places them now it's so unlikely for one to ever go off it just feel like a waste of AP. Make the usage of a trap skill create multiple trapped tiles like Fury's, DD's red trap should pretty much be EXACTLY the same, maybe just tweak the damage to be inline with a star.pngstar.pngstar.png character. His blue skill could create 5 blue trap tiles (at max covers) if you trigger one yourself it stuns the targeted enemy for one turn, if an enemy trips one they all trigger for as many turns as there are trap tiles remaining. Purple could work just the same, steal 1 of each color if you clear it yourself or all for the remaining number of traps when done by enemy.

This simple change would make DD IMMENSELY more usable. Preferably, though, he should have at least one ability that is not trap based so he's not useless against goons, who never trigger traps themselves.
    With the changes you suggested, wouldn't DD be able to spam the goons with enough traps to win the fight just by matching them himself? Blue trap mechanic seems even stronger against goons when triggered 1 or 2 traps at a time. To me, it looks like if he would place 1 trap per cover for each skill, there would be enough traps lying around. (or is it laying? sorry if I got it wrong) icon_redface.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kolence wrote:
    adamLmpq wrote:
    I can see it's already been brought up a few times but just wanted to say I agree that Daredevil's traps really should work more like Fury's. I love the concept of a trap mechanic but the way DD places them now it's so unlikely for one to ever go off it just feel like a waste of AP. Make the usage of a trap skill create multiple trapped tiles like Fury's, DD's red trap should pretty much be EXACTLY the same, maybe just tweak the damage to be inline with a star.pngstar.pngstar.png character. His blue skill could create 5 blue trap tiles (at max covers) if you trigger one yourself it stuns the targeted enemy for one turn, if an enemy trips one they all trigger for as many turns as there are trap tiles remaining. Purple could work just the same, steal 1 of each color if you clear it yourself or all for the remaining number of traps when done by enemy.

With the changes you suggested, wouldn't DD be able to spam the goons with enough traps to win the fight just by matching them himself? Blue trap mechanic seems even stronger against goons when triggered 1 or 2 traps at a time. To me, it looks like if he would place 1 trap per cover for each skill, there would be enough traps lying around. (or is it laying? sorry if I got it wrong) icon_redface.gif

He's Radar Sense is close to be really good. The randomeness helped this immensely, it just needs a tad lower of cost if it is only going to spam one tile, like 7-8AP. I would rather see it split amongst 3 tiles, with each tile stealing 2 of every AP.

Equalizer should go on random tiles as well.

Ambush I would change, make this Billy club Bash or something, and just be a straight up 8 AP for a direct 3K damage skill, that in addition blows up some of your trap tiles, but you get extra damage for doing so
  • Wolarsen
    Wolarsen Posts: 326 Mover and Shaker
    I am still confused about triggering mechanisms. I am almost sure that I sprung 2 red ambush traps with a 5-match line cleanaup (trap was NOT in the 5-match, but in the same line). Some confirmed Storm's Lightning triggers traps, so can I assume that ANY AP GENERATION mechanic will do?

If traps is launched from a Team-Up, will it be up for the entire battle? Seems really powerful if it isn't removed with enemy character deaths.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Wolarsen wrote:
    I am still confused about triggering mechanisms. I am almost sure that I sprung 2 red ambush traps with a 5-match line cleanaup (trap was NOT in the 5-match, but in the same line). Some confirmed Storm's Lightning triggers traps, so can I assume that ANY AP GENERATION mechanic will do?

If traps is launched from a Team-Up, will it be up for the entire battle? Seems really powerful if it isn't removed with enemy character deaths.
    Yes, TUps aren't owned by any single character and any trap TUp used by either team will only disappear with the whole team's defeat.

Storm's Lightning can both destroy traps (if the tile is destroyed directly) or trigger them (if the ability causes incidental matches and cascades that include traps). Same for abilities like Godlike Power, Power of Attorney, Unstoppable Crash, X-Force, Surgical Strike, Sniper Rifle, Twin Pistols, Iron Hammer, Magnetic Flux, Pistol, etc. Usually these abilities have a higher chance of destroying the trap. Fireball and Supernova directly destroy red tiles and thus have a high chance of destroying Ambush traps.
    Abilities that only convert 'basic' tiles to a certain colour but don't destroy them do NOT destroy traps and have a higher chance of triggering them since more of the same colour means more cascades and matches (Deceptive Tactics, Polarity Shift, Thunder Strike, Technopathic Strike, Chemical Reaction, Thunderclap, Anger, etc).
    Abilities that create friendly special tiles will always destroy the enemy trap if you happen to target the trap randomly (friendly special tiles do not target friendly trap tiles): Star-Spangled Avenger, Armored Assault, Peacemaker, Blast Arrow, Electric Arrow, Pheromone Rage, Psychic Knife, Summon Demons, World Rupture, Inferno, Judgement, Molotov Cocktail, Hailstorm, Bird Strike, Spider-Sense, Berserker Rage, Inferno, etc, etc. Webtiles do NOT count as special tiles; only attack/strike/protect/CD tiles do.

For ease, just remember that Hailstorm (especially maxed), World Rupture, Bird Strike, Coercive Field, Inferno are semi-great against Fury and Radar Sense; if that bug with Radar Sense that shifts the trap to only TUp tiles still persists, Polarizing Force/Mistress of the Elements directly counter it too. The only 100% effective counter to Fury short of killing Fury would be a maxed Iron Hammer (destroys the entire board).
    Pheromone Rage/Supernova/Fireball/Psychic Knife/Molotov Cocktail/Feral Claws/Summon Demons/Best There Is/Blast Arrow are all direct counters to Ambush. Electric Arrow/Mutagenic Breakthrough, to Equalizer.
    Surgical Strike can be a direct counter to both Ambush if the enemy has red as their strongest colour and to Equailzer if it's blue instead (it will destroy all red/blue tiles correspondingly).
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Daredevil is a semi-effective counter to X-Force.

Have DD collect as much purple as possible, as well as red/blue. Surgical Strike will net little useful for X-Force, and won't hurt too much if purple is low. It also has a good chance of causing cascades, and DD loves cascades.
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Would he be improved by replacing one of his trap powers (discussion about them aside) and giving him the former 2* Hawkeye's Avoid?