*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Options

Comments

• over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    But if Radar Sense resolved, enemy Daredevil stole up to 5 AP of every colour from you.
  • Killinstinct
    Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    Yes, but the problem was that you couldn't see he had stolen my AP. His AP showed that he only had 3 AP, but he was able to attack.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    edited June 2014
    Options
    If the enemy has a cascade or gets more AP at the start of their turn (through the Hood, Psylocke or Daredevil's steal), the enemy might use abilities they now have AP for immediately, without updating the AP stocks first. If you remember your fights against oBW/modern Storm, it was especially evident when Storm had, say, 6 black, then oBW used Recon on you and enemy Storm would use Hailstorm immediately though still showing 6 AP or some such. I got used to it and always try to calculate enemy AP forward. Remember that enemy AP levels are ONLY updated correctly after their turn, including cascades, but not all the time during their turn/cascades (and after using all abilities they cared to use that turn).
  • Killinstinct
    Killinstinct Posts: 99 Match Maker
    Options
    Ah ok, that would be the problem then.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Xeonic-Ice wrote:
    I'd love it if trap tiles were more thought out in general. Trap tiles are very interesting but Daredevil's implementation feels very unfinished. I like the idea of revealing traps but they're still armed, just much less effective because you now know what will happen.

For example:

1. Trap tiles are still randomly placed and hidden from the enemy.
    2. If the enemy has a way to overwrite tiles where a trap may be, the trap is then revealed.
    3. A revealed trap tile now much less effective depending on the ability. DD's red would be 1/10 as effective, blue would stun for 1 turn, and purple would steal 1 of each color if the enemy decided to then match the tile to get rid of it.
    4. A revealed trap can then be overwritten by an ability that overwrites tiles.
    5. The owner of the trap could match the revealed trap to move the location and become hidden again. A revealed trap wouldn't gain any of the self matching bonuses an only move locations.

I'm sure this is way too complicated for the current iteration of the game and communicative real estate in game is tough. But anyway, just a thought

interesting but really complex. i think his purpleshould just cost 8-9 instead of 11. it is hrd enough to get it to match with also getting 11 purple
    his blue should be : cat into darkness. Daredevil turns the lights out and gives protect tile of X. this would be a passivepower.
    Lastly red can beplaced by the user. Each level will allow for more colors so level 5 could use any color.
    this would make DD a great support character
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It might be a bug that downed enemy DD trap got activated. Did match, DD downed, afterwards cascade triggered trap
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    Lastly red can beplaced by the user. Each level will allow for more colors so level 5 could use any color.

Placing ambush for the imminent match-4 by the A.I. would be too much with the amount of damage it currently does. It would at least have to be more costly then. But IMO it would change DD's whole idea and trap mechanic if you could all but guarantee that the trap will immediately be sprung. There should be some chance the traps don't get triggered, in exchange for lower AP costs and higher damage/steal/whatever effect when they do.

What if you could choose a 3x3 or 5x5 area where the trap would then randomly be placed. That way you could at least avoid less favorable areas like corners and more endangered areas against certain opponents like the middle (Ragnarok) or the bottom (She-Hulk). Plus if only some color(s) are available for placing a trap it might be possible to choose exactly where it goes. And sometimes it would actually be a good spot. icon_e_smile.gif
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You know whats crazy? Using GSBW or MN Mags in order to make a single red and create a match 4 right on top of it. Other characters that work that way are really favorable for Daredevil. You're basically turning the AI against itself.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kolence wrote:
    wymtime wrote:

Placing ambush for the imminent match-4 by the A.I. would be too much with the amount of damage it currently does. It would at least have to be more costly then. But IMO it would change DD's whole idea and trap mechanic if you could all but guarantee that the trap will immediately be sprung. There should be some chance the traps don't get triggered, in exchange for lower AP costs and higher damage/steal/whatever effect when they do.

You are right. i think if you could place the trap it would need to cost more AP, maybe 12 for direct placement. I would be fine with a lower attack too for direct placement. I would rather have a trap more likely to go off than spam the board and pray to the D3 gods that the trap gets sprung.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Except that I also saw this bug with the environment trap after DD was down. And it was not the same turn. I was just lucky because I saw "disarmed" after randomly blasting it with CMags red.
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Strangely, it seems that some tile-converting skills disarm traps and others don't. I've definitely seen Scumbag Daken's blue skill disarm blue traps as it converted them to green tiles. (I loved using him in the DD PvP because two of his skills could disarm enemy traps.)
  • dingao666
    dingao666 Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    im facing daredavil on simulator , i made a green match and .... ambush !!!!!!

its never happen before
  • Unknown
    Options
    One of the red trap tiles probably got changed to green. Did somebody use thor's yellow?
  • dingao666
    dingao666 Posts: 74 Match Maker
    Options
    hmmmm
    can be , to be honesty i dont remenber if i use thors yellow
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DD still has a minor bug: If you match two of your traps at once (e.g. two Ambush traps on a red match) only one trap gets re-placed on the board. Making him slightly worse than advertised!

Edit to add: New poll about how to buff DD here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=11924
  • ErikPeter
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I have a different angle of insight than most: DD was my first 3-star to 13 covers, and it didn't really help my roster. Maxed OBW still seems much more useful. I noticed no difference in effectiveness from 115 to 141, and it sure felt like a waste of ISO-8. He just doesn't have the potence of a maxed Hulk or Patch, or anyone, basically.

Conceptually he is really cool (and Ambush is exciting when it works), but in practice, he spends a ton of AP for zero benefit. Choosing to play DD is basically handicapping yourself.

I'm curious what others think: What should the developers change to fix his powers? I think some of these options aren't great or would require lots of rebalancing, but I put them on there to try to reflect some of the things I've read elsewhere.

If you have some different ideas to fix him, post them below or in the official Daredevil thread here: http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2504

Edited to add results of the poll.

Item - Votes - % of Total Votes
    Increased effect (e.g. steal more AP) - 5 - 1%
    Lower AP costs - 22 - 6%
    Create more traps for weaker effect - 41 - 12%
    Destroyed/overwritten traps have (diminished) effect - 27 - 8%
    Traps relocate when overwritten/destroyed - 52 - 15%
    Traps return AP when overwritten/destroyed - 44 - 13%
    Additional effect on activation (e.g. also create a protect tile) - 12 - 3%
    Additional effect versus mooks/CDs - 11 - 3%
    Let the player choose where to place traps - 73 - 21%
    Traps place on multiple or different colors - 46 - 13%
    Dump traps entirely and replace them with new powers - 11 - 3%
    Specific boost to one power (post below) - 2 - 1%
    Some other idea (post yours below) - 5 - 1%
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You went all out on listing all the suggested options.

Choosing location is too powerful. Just wait for a 4 match and place a trap in line, and instant death.

Returning AP on deactivation is likely the best.

For goons ...
    As a trap is placed, Daredevil puts a visible fuse icon on a random enemy countdown tile, creating one if necessary. If the fuse tile is matched before the countdown expires, the tile acts normally, otherwise it triggers the trap as the countdown expires.

Nick Fury places traps on multiple colors. I don't look forward to fighting him.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Voted "different colors." If ambush placed traps on green instead of red and/or radar sense placed traps on purple, I would play DD all day, I'm not even kidding
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    Voted "different colors." If ambush placed traps on green instead of red and/or radar sense placed traps on purple, I would play DD all day, I'm not even kidding

I had always said, if he's blind then color shouldn't matter, let him be a rainbow character. So red ability makes traps go on green, yellow or black, blue goes on green, yellow, or black, and purple goes on green, yellow or black. That way you can match tiles of your color to get AP to cast the skill and you can match other colors to attempt to activate your skill.
  • ErikPeter
    edited July 2014
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    I think that's not a bad idea, since DD is extra hosed by Daken and Doom's red-specific tiles right now. I don't think it would be a big enough change to help much, but I'd be up for testing it out . icon_e_biggrin.gif I lean toward "more traps", e.g. making Ambush create 2 red traps that do 6k each when triggered or 1k if destroyed or overwritten.

If traps could be many colors (e.g. Green/Yellow/Black as suggested above), it might not increase the effectiveness much but it would ruin the mind game. When fighting DD now, you can remember the red tiles that were on the board when he placed it, and if you match the wrong one, you think, "well, my fault." If it could be practically any tile (or half of them), getting KO'ed would just feel frustrating and random.

One thing that my poll doesn't address is the overall weakness of DD's blue: Randomly stunning is rarely useful. If you do manage to stun the last enemy after downing the other two, great, but you can't get the benefit of other traps until he starts matching again. I think one power-specific buff would just be adding "stun the enemy team for 1/1/2/2/3" to the effect.