*** Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon) ***

Options

Comments

• scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I guess Psylocke is off my fun team now that there's a new fastest attack tile to pair with Daken/Falcon.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    this guy is ridiculous. in an over the top, good, powerful way. look forward to trying to win him in the upcoming PvE bloodbath
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Guys. There's something very important that needs to be changed about this character. Something fundamental that will affect literally everything about Iron Fist and his abilities.

It's "Like unto a thing of iron," not "Like a thing unto iron"!
  • rixmith
    rixmith Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Options
    He'll be pretty much an auto-skip in PvP. You won't be able to face him without taking massive damage from his attack tile, and even Hood will have a very hard time stopping his Purple. But maybe the goal here is to raise the bar on the new 3*'s a little bit to slightly close the gap with the X-Force/4-Thor teams. Or at least make sure they suffer some decent damage when they attack.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As well as his purple being ridiculous, his green has the same AP as Punisher's, and Fang Strike outclasses Judgement -- same total strike tile strength if under 12 black AP, double the strength if above it.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I wonder if there's an attempt to phase out characters below a certain HP level with these recent changes. Iron Fist seems quite overpowered compared to most 3* but that isn't even the most important point, it's that he literally seems to make character in the sub 6800 HP classification unplayable. Granted it was already kind of like this with X Force but now the bar has been lowered in terms of accessibility.

Shouldn't his black be something like 'creates an attack tile if you have 12 or more black AP?' Compare this to Summon Demons or Hailstorm, it's about half the damage but it costs nothing and basically can't be destroyed by any method which I think easily make up for less damage. It seems like this should at least be a 'every other turn' mechanism except the game doesn't have a clever way to do this. I guess you can create a CD that then creates an attack tile but that'd be awfully awkward.

I kinda suggested this a few pages back. If his passive was changed to only kick in once he had 12 Black AP in reserve then,

1) it brings it in line with his other abilities. 12 Black AP becomes the "threshold" after which he powers up. It's like toggling a switch between "attack modes", which is a really cool concept for a character - to have them be able to switch style during a match.

2) it means player might actually have to think twice about spending all that AP. And it creates a relatively unique play style. For the most part, you only want to be holding on to AP long enough to be able to spend it. It sounds like a truism, but whatever. Call of the Storm deals big damage for 14 AP, but you've got to earn it before you can spend it. That means anything which can stop you from gathering green AP is slowing down CotS. And similarly, having that 14 Green AP sitting in your AP pools isn't actually dealing damage just sitting there, you need to spend it to bring the pain. This could create a character who still wants to stop enemies from reducing his Black AP pool, but for a slightly different reason. He's much more dangerous with all that AP stored up, once it's gone, he needs to build it up again.

I do think that this is a really interesting set of abilities.
    I do think Purple is probably fine as it is.
    I do think that it's open to "exploit" in the same way that Senrty/Hood was, so it seems odd to introduce a character like that after taking a stance against that sort of thing.
    With just a small tweak, he would remain strong while also bringing an interesting new take on the core gameplay mechanic.

Edit: Fixing grammatical errors and changed formatting.
  • I don't know about 12, but I could see at least needing 6 or 5. I am actually quite surprised that after Falcon no other character has had AP thresholds on any of their passives. It was a good idea when it came out, and they have under utilized it.
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My third fave Marvel character after Spidey and Wolvie. Really CBF with Prodigal Sun but, dammit, I ain't gots a choice! icon_razz.gif

Think I'll just settle for top 150 though. That'll do, pig. That'll do.
  • Oh my god, finally my favorite hero has arrived! Now too find a way around the dreaded get one cover and never get another curse.
  • Lerysh wrote:
    I don't know about 12, but I could see at least needing 6 or 5. I am actually quite surprised that after Falcon no other character has had AP thresholds on any of their passives. It was a good idea when it came out, and they have under utilized it.

I think the AP threshold is key to fixing Star-Lord, but that's a different coversation for a different thread.

Holy Tinykitty, are you sure IF is a 3* D3? Because he's already better than Elektra/Star-Lord. Seriously.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Anyone else think green shouldn`t have been his best color? There are already several good characters who tank green, far fewer who cover purple or black.
  • Someone once explained the power of OBW by stating that if you took away any one of her powers and replaced any power on any other 2* character with it, that character would become a top-tier 2* and 2-power OBW would still be a top tier 2*.

By that criteria, Iron Fist is the 3* OBW. Wow.
  • evil panda
    evil panda Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Holy Tinykitty, are you sure IF is a 3* D3? Because he's already better than Elektra/Star-Lord. Seriously.
    the way i'm reading it, he's better than Elektra, Star Lord, and IW put togeher.
  • I think Daken/Wolverine/Iron Fist sounds like a good offensive setup.

Actives:Red/Green/Blue/Purple
    Matches
    High: Black Green
    Medium: Purple Red
    Low: Blue Yellow
    Weak; None

Fist makes attack tiles, amplified ridiculously by innumerous strikes generated by the three and Fist's is guaranteed to be the only attack tile. No one uses black, so Fist's actives can make their biggest output. Black matches have the self healing Daken tank. Both Daken and Patch heal over time. Chemical reaction can use any of the threesome's strikes to pump up Chemical Reaction. Best There Is claims Red and Yellow by default with a chance for Green (Guaranteed if Fist is underleveled). If Fist isn't fully leveled, He's immediately tanked by a higher Daken or Patch.

All in all, It makes a Fist/Daken/Patch team a get in/get out full frontal takedown. Target lower health heroes/villains, build up black and strikes when benefiting from that amped up Attack Tile, brutalize tanks with IFoKL spam, match is over. Iron Fist might even to be able to get through without a scratch, letting the twin infinitely healing father/son duo keep him at full fighting health to blow away low level missions and early PvP matchups one after the other after the other.
  • saurus wrote:
    (I still don't get why Iron Fist of K'un Lun isn't yellow. Where's the purple in his costume, I ask you? WHERE?)
    Well he has to match up optimally with Luke Cage, who has a lot more yellow.
    I feel compelled to once again point out that Psylocke neither matches purple nor does she have a purple ability. Clearly this kind of thing isn't always a major consideration for them.
  • Thugpatrol wrote:
    saurus wrote:
    (I still don't get why Iron Fist of K'un Lun isn't yellow. Where's the purple in his costume, I ask you? WHERE?)
    Well he has to match up optimally with Luke Cage, who has a lot more yellow.
    I feel compelled to once again point out that Psylocke neither matches purple nor does she have a purple ability. Clearly this kind of thing isn't always a major consideration for them.

Spider-Man...

doesn't match red.
  • Anyone else find it really strange you can get him from Prodigal Sun recruit before you can get him as a reward?
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Anyone else find it really strange you can get him from Prodigal Sun recruit before you can get him as a reward?
    It would indeed be strange... if they didn't already announce it. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24317
  • konannfriends
    konannfriends Posts: 246 Tile Toppler
    Options
    This character is a definite instaskip.

I think now we need a character who has a passive who matches the strength of any protect , attack , or strike tile but cuts the strength in half.

So I guess the next character will be a female huh
  • The way i read his Passive,

At the beginning of every turn, if there are no friendly Attack tiles, create a strength 60 Green Attack tile,

If you have Strike Tile created from someone like Daken or Blade, then Fists Passive wont kick in, is this correct?