*** Iron Fist (Immortal Weapon) ***

Options

Comments

• Kappei wrote:
    ark123 wrote:
    11 pages of "this guy is too good with xforce". Gotta love message boards.

Actually it's deeper than that. We're worried about balance. Do you remember the Sentrybombing days? How warped was the metagame, where above 650-700 points every single team was Sentry/Hood/loaner? We don't want to repeat that. Yes, we've abused Sentrybombing to get our X-forces and 4* Thor, but that wasn't fun, it required no brain and made every single PvP a grinding rush in the final minutes of the brackets. A lot has changed and, due to the changes in the shields, that situation cannot be replicated in full, but honestly, while everyone loves good synergies, nobody wants a game where there is only one choice if you want to place well.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but that's impossible - xf 4t featured is a flat out better team. Even if somehow it became IF xf, a xf 4t team would have red as color, and you usually can't 1hit a maxed 4t with one surgical on red. And after you surgical you can't spend red.

So it seems to me that the problem solved itself already.
    Hell, even if you're boosting into a turn 2 ss, that's no guarantee of a win at all.
  • Well the metagame is now xf/4hor past 650/700 now in PvP. Pity though, maybe someday we will see more variance.
  • ark123 wrote:
    Kappei wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong but that's impossible - xf 4t featured is a flat out better team. Even if somehow it became IF xf, a xf 4t team would have red as color, and you usually can't 1hit a maxed 4t with one surgical on red. And after you surgical you can't spend red.

So it seems to me that the problem solved itself already.
    Hell, even if you're boosting into a turn 2 ss, that's no guarantee of a win at all.

Look at that bolded part. If IF/XF becomes the best team, at least the perceived best team, everyone will start using them. This would lead to mirror matches and you know how that would resolve? Start of match, IF purple, SS, one or two X-Force (because in a mirror match you'd get green), X-force Wolvie dead, IF severely crippled and possibly the chance to repeat the cycle because in the cascades you'd get 5 other purple. The match is almost over without even having to do a single match-3. Total time? a minute at most, thus reinforcing the feeling that XF/IF is a very good team.

Maybe I'm being too much Chicken Little and the sky isn't actually falling, but I see a danger in there...
  • akiratang wrote:
    Well the metagame is now xf/4hor past 650/700 now in PvP. Pity though, maybe someday we will see more variance.

Sure, there's plenty of Xor above there, but they're not strictly required for a good placement. Lately we've seen a return of the Patch/Hulk team that can hit way above its weight class and even LThor/Loki, Patch/Loki or LThor/Hood aren't a rare sight in the higher places. Back in the Sentrybombing days using one of those team above 700 points meant that in the time you finished a match you'd have lost 150 points to Sentry/Hood attacks. These days the meta has become slower, both in terms of matches duration and in hopping pace, and I cannot be happier about that.
  • Funnily enough if you're boosting all and green patch hulk is actually significantly faster than xf 4t in hops. It can be even faster than hood sentry used to be, if you get the green match right away. When I was hopping with those I had a few matches last under 30 seconds versus 4t xf
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Options
    But with Hulk/Patch there's also not a trivial chance that a cascade will happen against you and you will lose Hulk too soon. Sentry was much more reliable in that way.
  • ark123 wrote:

Do you have Xforce?
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So... Any whales/sandboxers got any early impressions of IF? Is he as OP as everyone predicted?
  • Scoregasms
    Scoregasms Posts: 373
    Options
    Trisul wrote:
    So... Any whales/sandboxers got any early impressions of IF? Is he as OP as everyone predicted?

He's available to play with a loaner at 5/5/3 (level 204) in the first node in DP vs MPQ PVE and he's pretty awesome even with just 3 covers in Exquisite Technique. I've gone through a couple passes and he's carried the team with Mystique and Lazy Thor as the other 2 required characters, who are no slouches themselves.

Get Purple early with some black along the way and then watch him one shot folks with his purple, then throw a Masterstroke to finish the straggler. I don't even notice Fat Thor is on the team, lol.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This is what I see happening.

IF/XF/Featured.

You demolish people very fast, any mirror matches you will steal green with Surgical as long as featured character is downed. This may not be on speed of Sentry, but you will be downing people very quickly.

The best Defense Ironically will be 4hor, and to make sure she is in a higher priority slot over XF, that way surgical steals red not green, thus shutting down IF and leaving lots of black on the board still for your own XF to pick up.

I think XF/IF will dominate 0-700 PvP. Once you get up there, I'm not sure as the build could run out of gas at times, and the mirror matches could be stressful because if you don't get enough black, you are giving it to them. I mean just think how quickly an enemy Loki uses his purple, you will be seeing that with IF.

Where this will be scary is when the featured character has green as their primary color. So Hulk, Iron Fist himself, Ragnarok?(not sure how he goes), Storm. Those are the only ones you have to worry about in PvP where XF will primarily steal green.

Overall I think the worst part about IF will be his black passive eating your hit points for free rather than his purple feeding Xforce
  • To defend against Thor all that matters is that the lowest HP guy on your team can take an X Force (but not Surgical Strike, because a Surgical Strike will usually knock out X Force anyway and immediately decide the game). Iron Fist can take an X Force quite easily, so he's not any worse than Thor at defending against Thor. He's far better at defending in general because Thor is practically useless on defense. Thor is still going to be better whenever the featured character has less than the HP necessary to survive a X Force but those type of events are kind of a farce anyway in terms of strategy as they all immediately turn into a 2on2 in 3 turns where Thor easily dominates and it's just a matter of how much you're willing to spend compared to anyone else who can do exactly the same thing to your team.
  • ugh, even IF animations are super fast. Shield hoping against the top dogs just got even more miserable.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Switchman wrote:
    ugh, even IF animations are super fast. Shield hoping against the top dogs just got even more miserable.

I seriously doubt that IF will replace 4or in high levels of PvP (at least for a majority of PvP). The problem is that if surgical doesn't hit on a good color, the team just runs out of steam vs an opposing 4or. If you've ever tried to X-Hood a last woman standing 4or down before, you'll quickly realize that if you can't use the red AP gained from surgical, taking down 16k HP is a major pain.
  • Switchman wrote:
    ark123 wrote:

Do you have Xforce?
    I do not, no. My xf is 4/3/5
  • Basically if you have no interest at all in Iron Fist, comic books, or reading, read Immortal Iron Fist (2006) anyway
  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm loving him so far, but man you need his purple. Playing with him in the loaner node is so much more fun than using my 1/0/1 in the Essentials.

:sadfase:
  • Loved the 2006 Iron Fist series. Awesome style and action. Dug it a lot. Although the final arc
    was kind of lame after Swierczynski took over
    The current Kaare Andrews series is pretty cool too. Very different, but still cool.
  • Stashasaurus
    Options
    Anyone try the Power Man/Iron FIst/ LazyDaken team yet? (PS- it's awesome)
  • Sandwichboy
    Sandwichboy Posts: 193 Tile Toppler
    Options
    yeah, that's one I've been interested in trying myself, as I can see it being incredibly successful as a climbing team, particularly because on defence it would be maddening to face. Or replace Daken with Falcon.
  • iamxzo
    iamxzo Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    find out how nice is he with luke cage and falcon !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg85WwZ5PAw