*** Cyclops (Uncanny X-Men) ***

17810121316

Comments

  • ClydeFrog76
    ClydeFrog76 Posts: 1,350 Chairperson of the Boards
    I grew up reading Uncanny around the #200 mark, and X-Factor from the beginning, so I'm unashamedly old school.

    Whenever I think about him blasting things, I think of an image like this.

    204265-81668-cyclops.jpg

    It's all about the visor touch, man.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, the stats show that you get an extra like 1 red tile per cast, which is... unexciting to say the least.
    The problem with the stats is that they assume a random casting of the ability. Played properly, you're going to hold it until you see a cluster of reds and TUs; but if you can't reliable know which TUs are going to flip, it can seriously sabotage your plans. So in actual practice, I've got to believe the difference will be more than just 1 red tile per cast.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    You do realize you have match dmg in between skills.
    Yes... and other abilities. By the time I collect 13 black, as you said, it's probably going to be overkill. More times than not, assuming I want to stick with eliminating the #1 threat, I'd be dealing 8k of damage to get rid of around 3-4k of health.
  • I agree with 535.

    He's ****, so the only way I'm ever using him is when he's boosted. When he's boosted, his damage skills are actually not awful bang for your ap buck, and yellow doesn't scale at all. So it's an easy choice for me. Just like in Starlord's case, collecting that 7 yellow ap to then cross your fingers and make some combo work seems like a fool's errand to me.

    I'm afraid I'm going to completely ignore Scott for 95% of the time, much like I did when I religiously read X-Men.
  • Highdark
    Highdark Posts: 75 Match Maker
    I am actually excited about cyclops. 5/5/3 pair him up with X force you got a decent red spender and yellow spender to clear out TU. Red does good damage and possible cascade. Get yourself a fury in the mix and not bad at all.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    jzahm wrote:
    I'm really digging Scott.

    As much as it pains me to say that.

    cyclops_was_right_by_tloessy-d5r5tgr.png

    He was right... And he can drive really fast too!!

    racer_x.jpg
  • Too bad 3* Wolvie was already a character before this was invented, or we could have a thread named Patch Notes
  • Highdark wrote:
    I am actually excited about cyclops. 5/5/3 pair him up with X force you got a decent red spender and yellow spender to clear out TU. Red does good damage and possible cascade. Get yourself a fury in the mix and not bad at all.
    Or you could use Goddess and actually not be crushed defending in pvp
  • Although I started out thinking you should have 5 in yellow, since it only maxes out at 8 TUs, I'm beginning to wonder if it's ever going to be able to convert enough TUs to reliably predict cascades, because if it cannot then you might as well never bother with the ability in the first place. It might be biased since in this event the goons you face tends to deplete the number of red tiles very quickly (either you match the red to stop an ability or a CD fires and depletes a red tile), so perhaps this scenario is biased.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Although I started out thinking you should have 5 in yellow, since it only maxes out at 8 TUs, I'm beginning to wonder if it's ever going to be able to convert enough TUs to reliably predict cascades, because if it cannot then you might as well never bother with the ability in the first place. It might be biased since in this event the goons you face tends to deplete the number of red tiles very quickly (either you match the red to stop an ability or a CD fires and depletes a red tile), so perhaps this scenario is biased.
    Converting 8 tiles is not always enough to cascade. It's a level 3 Doom blue. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, it's just very rarely going to be amazing. In the current pve it's turn on my Blade's green a bunch of times though.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Playing the 5/4/4 Cyclops, yeah, I've solidified on 5/3/5. Intersting enough, Cyclops plays a hell of a lot like X-Force.

    Both have a fair costed board destruction skill with Optic Blast/X-Force

    Both have game ending blacks. BTW you would need 16 tiles to destroy with Surgical Strike to do more than a maxed Full Blast. (if you surgical strike into green and xforce, it's only about 1-2K more damage than a Full blast, so it's not a bad skill

    Both have a cheap yellow that you hope works but can survive if it doesn't

    Cyclops is 3* X-Force minus the true heal, which obviously drops him way low, but Cyclops is easily better than a majority of 3*. I would put him about C.Mags power level and ranking, maybe even slightly above due to his health, I wouldn't put him over Cap or BP but he's right behind them.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    ark123 wrote:
    Highdark wrote:
    I am actually excited about cyclops. 5/5/3 pair him up with X force you got a decent red spender and yellow spender to clear out TU. Red does good damage and possible cascade. Get yourself a fury in the mix and not bad at all.
    Or you could use Goddess and actually not be crushed defending in pvp

    In six months when I've drawn/won 11 more Goddess covers (or more, might need to respec), sure. Until then, other options will have to be on the table.
  • Was just playing Blade/Cyke/OBW in pve. They were pretty damn great together. Got up to 22 strike tiles with MR feeding Thirst, and then OBW double dipping on black and feeding FB and all the strike tiles buffing Blade's purple...ripped straight through the survivals. Really fun.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Playing the 5/4/4 Cyclops, yeah, I've solidified on 5/3/5. Intersting enough, Cyclops plays a hell of a lot like X-Force.

    Both have a fair costed board destruction skill with Optic Blast/X-Force

    Both have game ending blacks. BTW you would need 16 tiles to destroy with Surgical Strike to do more than a maxed Full Blast. (if you surgical strike into green and xforce, it's only about 1-2K more damage than a Full blast, so it's not a bad skill

    Both have a cheap yellow that you hope works but can survive if it doesn't

    Cyclops is 3* X-Force minus the true heal, which obviously drops him way low, but Cyclops is easily better than a majority of 3*. I would put him about C.Mags power level and ranking, maybe even slightly above due to his health, I wouldn't put him over Cap or BP but he's right behind them.

    Yup thinking the same thing and I think this could be the devs answer to all the xforce is too hard talk and gave the 3* players one of their own that can even take down xforce while you are denying him his black. Cyclops probably isn't going to break into people using 4*s but I would guess he would make it to a 3* roster that has to face the xthorce wall. I like this character a lot and his animations are great except for the one butt showcase yellow one.
  • Okay I was wrong on this one.
    He's actually pretty fun to play and the red conversion comes up a surprising number of times - it's actually kinda great with goddess if you don't have a loki.
  • Okay I was wrong on this one.
    He's actually pretty fun to play and the red conversion comes up a surprising number of times - it's actually kinda great with goddess if you don't have a loki.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Holy crud. Steve Rogers x Cyclops is my new OTP. I was shield bashing for days. Had 3 red shields running at the same time, and could've had more if it weren't for the 30AP cap.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,714 Chairperson of the Boards
    Katai wrote:
    Holy crud. Steve Rogers x Cyclops is my new OTP. I was shield bashing for days. Had 3 red shields running at the same time, and could've had more if it weren't for the 30AP cap.

    Yeah, I agree! I was using Steve, Cyclops and Cage for survival node. I used cage only for the initial protect tile, but when Lcap blue protect tile is out, I take very little dmg. And like you, I was able to get 3 shields going...

    Probably not the best synergy, but hey it was fun.
  • Oldboy
    Oldboy Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Looks like the cat is out of the bag...

    Try Cyclops (with yellow covers. Mine is at 1/3/2), Steve rogers (3/5/5) and Hood (5/5/3). You'll have too much red AP to take in anymore from Dormammu. Hood steals red and black early on and it's so fun to one-shot wolvie with Cyke's black when wolvie pops out in survival nodes. Hood's black also quickens Steve's CD tiles
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's comforting to know, that if X-Force or 4hor ever get nerfed, I have Cyclops to pick up the slack and the only thing you are really losing is the health and of course true heal of Wolvie, aside from that, speed and damage is about even.