The Gauntlet - Competitive Edition Feb 7- 12

Options

Comments

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Finally completed the gaunlet! I set a personal target of not using boosts and super whales and managed to achieve it!

It was challenging but fun, as I cycle through different teams to beat the nodes. To save on health packs I used different combination of characters. The characters I used include: xforce, lcap, lthor, hood, blade, ldaken, Deadpool, cmag, doom, falcon, hulk, pun (essential), daredevil (essential), patch, bp, obw.
  • TheViceroy
    TheViceroy Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    Question about Essential 18.
    The Luke Cage, Loki, 4hor fight

If I use Jackpot Whales, Whales, Whales while Luke Cage's Shield special tile is out, will it still drop them all?

My strategy was to go + 3 B / P, + 3 all, & my Black Widow steal TU with my Lv 90 5 1 2 Deadpool, max 5 5 3 Hood, & max 5 5 3 Punisher (cause I have to).

Does WWW always insty kill everyone? I saw it take down a Devil Dino in Sim 42 with over 20K Health in one shot, so maybe it does?
    Since my Deadpool is "only" 5 1 2, I haven't used him much so don't know the finer points of WWW.
    That move helped me a ton on many of these nodes, but I've only got enough points for one more Jackpot use.

Getting a 2nd Purple from the final Gauntlet progression would help a ton.
  • lukewin
    lukewin Posts: 1,356 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Question about Essential 18.
    The Luke Cage, Loki, 4hor fight

If I use Jackpot Whales, Whales, Whales while Luke Cage's Shield special tile is out, will it still drop them all?

My strategy was to go + 3 B / P, + 3 all, & my Black Widow steal TU with my Lv 90 5 1 2 Deadpool, max 5 5 3 Hood, & max 5 5 3 Punisher (cause I have to).

Does WWW always insty kill everyone? I saw it take down a Devil Dino in Sim 42 with over 20K Health in one shot, so maybe it does?
    Since my Deadpool is "only" 5 1 2, I haven't used him much so don't know the finer points of WWW.
    That move helped me a ton on many of these nodes, but I've only got enough points for one more Jackpot use.

Getting a 2nd Purple from the final Gauntlet progression would help a ton.

It doesn't matter what is out on the board or how much health the enemy has, if you spend the 28k Deadpool pts and Drop the whales, it'll take out the enemy team. 2nd Purple adds damage to the regular power, but I think it costs 28k pts regardless of the amount of covers.
  • j0nats
    j0nats Posts: 149 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Huwow.. finished gauntlet.... and rode the Stormneto pairing to the end... all nodes that wiped out my patch / obw and patch/blade combos: including the final node (thoress, thor, fury) and majority of the essential nodes, were promptly dispatcjed by thos combo (with help fron pink/blue +3 boost and critical +100% boost)
  • TheViceroy
    TheViceroy Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Options
    lukewin wrote:
    It doesn't matter what is out on the board or how much health the enemy has, if you spend the 28k Deadpool pts and Drop the whales, it'll take out the enemy team. 2nd Purple adds damage to the regular power, but I think it costs 28k pts regardless of the amount of covers.

Done and done.
    Now to go back and hit the 3 Daredevil essentials 13, 14, 15.
    So far Lazy Daken, Squirrel Girl, & Black Panther is irritating. Wiped twice with two different teams.
    Out of Health Packs for now, hopefully I can get through these 3 without having to resort to WWW, cause I'm out of Deadpool points after Essential 18.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    Ok, need some advice. I'm not overly ambitous, just trying to get the hood but 36 is killing me. I only have 2 characters up to 94 and one is Thor that I can't use here. So, Daken94, OBW83 and Ares86 seem hopeless against RnG, 4or, and Blade at 139. Other options are:
    boosted Dardevel135 - 1/1/1 - colors are covered, but not strong
    boosted Magneto97 - 4/3/5 - don't have a high enough storm or hawk or this might be an option?
    boosted torch90 - 4/4/5 - not enough health
    boosted CapAm88 - 3/5/5 - too slow
    Wolvie70 - 5/5/3 - not enough health and not leveled enough for attacks

Unfortunately my storm/mags/hawk team are only to ~level 60. I think I may have screwed myself by doing a couple essentials before tackling this node (36 has gone up 8 or 9 levels with me finishing 2 of the essential side nodes). Need one more essential and this node for the hood. Any advice?

My MVP this event has been DD, 2* Cap and 2* Mag. Boost purp blue and all and you can get the polarity train running fast. Aim to get some red to nuke down the priority target with flux then keep someone stunned. Then when you take out number two you should have a hard lock with Caps blue and polarity shift.
  • bat_239
    Options
    Done icon_e_smile.gif
    The last essential was a tough one - but Hood+LazyCap did the trick
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    papa07 wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    Ok, need some advice. I'm not overly ambitous, just trying to get the hood but 36 is killing me. I only have 2 characters up to 94 and one is Thor that I can't use here. So, Daken94, OBW83 and Ares86 seem hopeless against RnG, 4or, and Blade at 139. Other options are:
    boosted Dardevel135 - 1/1/1 - colors are covered, but not strong
    boosted Magneto97 - 4/3/5 - don't have a high enough storm or hawk or this might be an option?
    boosted torch90 - 4/4/5 - not enough health
    boosted CapAm88 - 3/5/5 - too slow
    Wolvie70 - 5/5/3 - not enough health and not leveled enough for attacks

Unfortunately my storm/mags/hawk team are only to ~level 60. I think I may have screwed myself by doing a couple essentials before tackling this node (36 has gone up 8 or 9 levels with me finishing 2 of the essential side nodes). Need one more essential and this node for the hood. Any advice?

If you run DD with Mags/Storm, he should tank Blue/Purple for them and give them time to work their magic. Boost Blue/Purple and All and with a little luck you should be good. You can even boost Red/Yellow too, drop an Ambush tile and use it for Match-4 target practice when you use Mags purple.

papa - thanks a ton. I had written them off as not leveled enough but had never super boosted before - always thought it was 'cheating', so my boosts usually just sat there all full. Leveled storm 10 levels with the iso i had and it took 2 tries (one time I foolishly exposed her for a green match without paying attn to blade black and he one shotted her), but it did the trick. I'll use this trick more often now, especially when I'm close to a progression threshold in pvps facing a tougher team. Was considering leveling wolvie next but he's on hold for this group - can take to 86 now but need to hit LRs for iso. Thanks again - was able to get hood and then go back and get punisher with the hood essentials in sub 2. Wanted dp purple but I barely got as far as i did, so i'm satisfied.
  • dizzera
    Options
    Tearing my hair out with LThor, Loki and Luke. I've tried the Stormneto, Tried 3* storm and XForce, Even good old OBW and Ares. My wife is worried about my well being as I am a bit vocal when I lose repeatedly. I am 3k from another WWW and it will be over by then. I just want another Deadpool!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok. Just had to vent.

Carry on.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I've pretty much given up on finishing sub 3 as SG/Colossus/SheHulk have wiped out 2*Thor/Ares/OBW & Stormento + mHawkeye within 6 turns or less when iso-boosted in all colors.
    Essential 12 with my non-boosted lvl 50 Hood (5/2/0) is pretty much the same **** of wiping within 6 turns or less iso-boosted with Stormneto, Ares/OBW, 2*Cap/MnMags.
    The cheap trick of having the AI simply out collect you in AP by a factor of 2-3x each move makes this game completely frustrating since strategy is rendered useless when facing higher leveled characters that cut my team to half health with match damage and one-shot me with their powers.
    Anyone have any suggestions before I throw my phone again?
  • dizzera
    Options
    FINALLY!

Just finished and got my DP (giggity) Did it with Stormneto +3 blueflag.pngpurpleflag.png and +3 all and a lucky first round 5er purpleflag.png to get the storms a flowin! I can now tell my wife that it's over and she doesn't have to live at her mom's place for a while.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oldboy wrote:
    ZootSax wrote:
    Other than MNMags/Hood/CStorm + boosts & prayer, does anyone have any advice for a 2-star team on Alpine Tactics Essential #10 (Blade/Hulk/Spiderman)? My Hood is only 2/0/1 (Level 53) and that node is repeatedly mopping me up. I don't have any 3-stars with more than 5 covers (and that one is Blade, so no help here). I have all the non-Bagman and Wolverine 2-stars maxed--mostly on what is considered the ideal cover arrangements. My big issue is at their level, Hulk's red & green one-shot anyone I have, Spiderman's yellow undoes ~4 Wind Storm's worth of damage and Blade's black is ~2/3 of any of my characters health, in addition to the AP drain. I can't reliably figure out who to even stun, much less which color to deny (and I realize both of those decisions can be very situational). I've tried Ares/Hood/OBW, but can never steal AP fast enough as I'm only one cascade from disaster. Thor's generally too slow for me against nodes where the opponents are a lot higher level than I am, but I'm open to try anything if people think a team with him would be fast enough. I've been sitting on a lot of boosts waiting for Gauntlet, so I'm not shy with any, although I'm running low on Blue/Purple +1 and AP all +1.

Thanks in advance for your help.

In possibly related news, for the longest time I've had my CStorm at 3/5/5 because green covers have eluded me. Now in this Gauntlet, Raging Tempest might literally be my MVP, as I'm up to nine battles where Raging Tempest saved the day when the rest of my party was wiped and CStorm was near-death herself. Maybe I won't respec her after-all, even if I get can...

Only team i can think of is Ares and Obw or maybe even Wolverine. Boost red/yellow and blue/purple (and maybe green). Steal whatever AP you can to set up Sunder or Adamantium slash. I would suggest taking out Blade first. Imo Obw shld have 5 Blue covers to ensure you get some healing in case Blade's CD tile is out. Also i've heard you can time sunder with anti-gravity to get some true healing? (Not sure abt this) If using Ares, store up green to hopefully one shot Hulk (tough i know). Use Hood to absorb ability damage if unavoidable.

Thanks again for the advice. I finally made it through that node after getting help from the mother of all cascades to take down Blade really, really quickly (while it was exceptionally lucky, I felt I was due with how some of the battles in this event went). When I finished Alpine Tactics, I was only #2320 on the leaderboard, in case anyone was wondering what percentage of people were completing the various Gauntlet subevents.

I'm writing off getting DP's purple this event, but getting 2/3 of the 3-star rewards has made this far and away my best Gauntlet. With how brutal the gauntlets have been for me previously, I'll take that ....and it was nice not having to face the boosted Dark Avengers a thousand times for a change icon_e_smile.gif
  • Unknown
    edited February 2015
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    papa - thanks a ton. I had written them off as not leveled enough but had never super boosted before - always thought it was 'cheating', so my boosts usually just sat there all full.

Glad you got what you wanted out of the event. Since you are new to boosts, here is some info on boosts.

You can only have 30 boosts - after that any you earn are thrown away.
    3 AP All Boosts are early progression rewards for each PvP and PvE.
    When you run out, 2 color AP Boosts can be purchased in sets of 5 for 200 Iso
    AP All Boosts cost HP (no idea how much they cost Edit: 10 for 100 hp)

They definitely help in the game. A well timed boost can be an extra progression or a higher placement reward.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    papa07 wrote:
    AP All Boosts cost HP (no idea how much they cost)

100 HP
  • papa07 wrote:

100 HP

for 5?
  • papa07 wrote:
    papa07 wrote:

100 HP

for 5?
    It's good for 10.

Also, wow!

Just finished essential 18 (my last node)! The worst by far - had a few rough goes and on my wife's idea went blue/purp, all ap, and 125% crit damage. Running the Cap and Mag with a severely under levelled punisher. Managed to punch down Loki and keep Luke stunned while getting some luck on purp placement to pop a few shifts off. When Luke went down I had 30 blue ap and a countdown off of peacemaker to work on keeping lady Thor locked down.

Feels GOOOD.
  • Did I miscount the time remaining? Gauntlet vanished.
  • Curiosity
    Curiosity Posts: 20 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Finished the final node last night, using Whales.

Slightly cheaty, but I can live with it for the Deadpool cover.

I really enjoyed this though. Made me use different characters and different tactics. Generally in PvE most matches are easy and a grind, with occasional exceptions, and in PvP you can get Top 100 easily without ever fighting a team as strong as you (once you have a couple of 166s). This was much more of a challenge and I really enjoyed each fight being an achievement to win.

So yay for that.

Now back to the grind, I suppose.
  • dearbluey wrote:
    Did I miscount the time remaining? Gauntlet vanished.

Sorry, it was supposed to end 23 minutes ago
  • papa07 wrote:
    dearbluey wrote:
    Did I miscount the time remaining? Gauntlet vanished.

Sorry, it was supposed to end 23 minutes ago

No worries! I wasn't going to get much further anyways icon_e_smile.gif