**** Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) ****

Options

Comments

• OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah, 3/5/5 it is. It was fun to have another broken character for a few days.

You can now make countdowns on team-up tiles which is new to the game.
  • VizMantis
    VizMantis Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So now that Starlord winfinite is off the table, is he worth 300k of my hard earned ISO to champ?

His red still has a great dmg/ap ratio, given the right conditions. But the same can be said for Gwen and I don't see anyone ranking her very high. His yellow sounds cool, 8 ap for stun+dmg from iceman's blue springs to mind as particularly good on my roster. But I don't totally like that I have to get hit by a power first.
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    So countdown TU tiles are now a thing.

2GwP6itl.jpg?1
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Infrared wrote:
    So countdown TU tiles are now a thing.
    2GwP6itl.jpg?1
    Well, good! a new way to get rid of team up clutter.
  • Nylarx
    Nylarx Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Options
    Off topic, but isn't it hilarious how the Move suggester has highlighted those 3 pink tiles, and has completely ignored the obvious Match 4.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would say he is definitely worth leveling even without the winfinite combo, he is killer matched with kingpin and if paired with a reasonable tank (oml lvl 320 or above) they kingpin and Starlord tank almost no colors punch-poke-punch-poke. Only down side is no use for blue, very quick high damage and very few health packs required. I think we will see him more in pve than pvp but he is definitely solid. They are on a good streak fixing character hopefully they will keep it up.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Well that's lame. "Hey, everyone's excited about this new fun combo". "Ack! Shut it down!"

It's a disappointing change. Yeah, it was OP, but they could just make his strongest color red so you need BW5 or some other purple user to manage it. Taking away the placement takes away a lot of the fun. Or for tinykitty's sake just get rid of ProfX's strongest color generation because that is the core of the problem. Like when they had to nerf Mystique--again, ProfX is the problem.

Purple's now just a pretty weak tile overwriter. Also you don't really have much reason to keep yellow at 5, unless you team him with some other purple user. At 4 gets one one more AP per CD resolution. So two of his powers went from "definite 5 for a specific build" to "eh, who cares."

I guess that's what we get, as a playerbase, for being enthusiastic about character changes. Lucky his yellow is still pretty bonkers and he isn't relegated to "old Star-Lord" tier. Wait, wait, forget I said anything (hour 48 hotfix makes yellow reduce costs by only 1)--nooooo!

ETA: Once my 4-Luke Cage has more covers I'll be teaming him with Goblin/Cage. 4-6 fortified tiles on the board most of the time makes Cage pack a mean punch.
  • itsmahvelbaby
    Options
    any word to WHY they changed it?

it REALLY dissapoints me AND DONT YOU DARE touch profX. my heart couldnt take two stabs.

really in a bad mood....he was sooo unpopular, then a FEW who actually kept him very talking about him and bam, nerfed asap!
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    He is still great. Hell, winfiniting with him actually veiled how good he can normally be since you were just using him as a cog in a repeating engine and I say this having used him in winfinite for a whole day.
  • Orangecrush
    Options
    VizMantis wrote:
    So now that Starlord winfinite is off the table, is he worth 300k of my hard earned ISO to champ?

His red still has a great dmg/ap ratio, given the right conditions. But the same can be said for Gwen and I don't see anyone ranking her very high. His yellow sounds cool, 8 ap for stun+dmg from iceman's blue springs to mind as particularly good on my roster. But I don't totally like that I have to get hit by a power first.
    If you play PvE, then I would say yes. His yellow makes a top tier 4* for PvE. There are a ton of combos he makes a lot better. Unlike his prior iteration, he actually does go well with nearly anyone.
  • richterbelmont10
    Options
    I have some questions about the purple power "Sleight of Hand." It mentions you can select and overwrite enemy countdown tiles, but can you also select enemy attack, protect, and strike tiles? Also, I noticed above that someone was able to get team-up tiles to become countdown tiles. Was this done using the purple power or can this happen using his passive yellow power too?
  • zodiac339
    Options
    I have some questions about the purple power "Sleight of Hand." It mentions you can select and overwrite enemy countdown tiles, but can you also select enemy attack, protect, and strike tiles? Also, I noticed above that someone was able to get team-up tiles to become countdown tiles. Was this done using the purple power or can this happen using his passive yellow power too?
    Sleight of Hand can target pretty much anything that isn't locked (but I haven't tried locked tiles). Passive only affects random yellow basic tiles. I don't know if Demiurge will bother to change the ability to select team up tiles. They can be trapped after all, so being able to make them countdowns shouldn't be a problem.
  • seraphiel
    seraphiel Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Options
    Yeah he's still vastly improved. I'm not sure why they felt his purple was overpowered compared to some other more reliable winfinite combos... But anyway:

Try a 3/5/5 SL with OML and Iceman. There's something wonderful about the stun-punch-stun-again combo, using the same amount of bluetile.png. Plus it makes Iceman's green a bit cheaper as well, and purpletile.png now has options.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    seraphiel wrote:
    Yeah he's still vastly improved. I'm not sure why they felt his purple was overpowered compared to some other more reliable winfinite combos...

It was much more reliable and powerful than the most reliable there is. Charlie's angels requires:

-An underlevelled Prof X
    -11 starting purple (but more strongly suggested)
    - At least two sets of at least two green tiles close by and with not TU or special tiles in between per go.
    - Cascades or full row/column destruction giving a minimum of 3 additional purple AP per go.

All while using 3*-level damage and HP. With pre-nerf Star-Lord:

-You could use a fully levelled Prof X
    -Didn't really need to bring Scarlet Witch.
    -Only needed 10 starting purple, but most times, only 8 due to his passive, which also gives you 3 free purple Ap from time to time.
    -Only needed one set of two nearby purple tiles per go and you don't have to mind TU or special tiles.
    -If the yellow tile was out, you actually /gained/ 1 purple AP per go. Without it, you only needed 1 additional purple to keep going.
    -4*-level damage and HP.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    seraphiel wrote:
    Yeah he's still vastly improved. I'm not sure why they felt his purple was overpowered compared to some other more reliable winfinite combos...

It was much more reliable and powerful than the most reliable there is. Charlie's angels requires:

-An underlevelled Prof X
    -11 starting purple (but more strongly suggested)
    - At least two sets of at least two green tiles close by and with not TU or special tiles in between per go.
    - Cascades or full row/column destruction giving a minimum of 3 additional purple AP per go.

All while using 3*-level damage and HP. With pre-nerf Star-Lord:

-You could use a fully levelled Prof X
    -Didn't really need to bring Scarlet Witch.
    -Only needed 10 starting purple, but most times, only 8 due to his passive, which also gives you 3 free purple Ap from time to time.
    -Only needed one set of two nearby purple tiles per go and you don't have to mind TU or special tiles.
    -If the yellow tile was out, you actually /gained/ 1 purple AP per go. Without it, you only needed 1 additional purple to keep going.
    -4*-level damage and HP.

One consideration that you have overlooked pylgrim: switch and gsbw both have lots of tile destruction to keep churning the board and renove special tiles. Starlord and prof x have no other powers to do that.

Overall, i agree that starlord/x was probably a bit more reliable than traditional winfinite (starlord's extra health is a big bonus). But i dont know that the gap was quite as big as you suggest.
  • zodiac339
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Pylgrim wrote:

One consideration that you have overlooked pylgrim: switch and gsbw both have lots of tile destruction to keep churning the board and renove special tiles. Starlord and prof x have no other powers to do that.

Overall, i agree that starlord/x was probably a bit more reliable than traditional winfinite (starlord's extra health is a big bonus). But i dont know that the gap was quite as big as you suggest.
    While SL doesn't offer board shake to refresh the board, special tile removal wasn't a consideration. Sleight of Hand simply overwrote everything. Board shake really helps though. Maybe add XF Wolverine to the mix.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    He makes an interesting partner for Drax.

He literally just makes tiles for Drax to eat, and accelerates him a bit.
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    So I'm using Star Lord (lvl 170 5/4/4) with Prof X (lvl 130 5/3/2) and rounded of with Luke Cage for passive red and active yellow outlet.

So far so good in pve, but might switch it up and try out in pvp if I can get my Prof a couple of more covers. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    He makes an interesting partner for Drax.

He literally just makes tiles for Drax to eat, and accelerates him a bit.

It's unfortunate that they have two overlapping colors. But star lord's purple is probably better than drax's most of the time (board control, a little less damage but spread out aoe style and it doesn't cost a turn), and drax's red is probably superior (at least at first). So maybe a 5/5/3 starlord and a 5/3/5 drax? I would still say there are better partners than drax (his contingencies are just too hard to leverage).
  • d3guser
    d3guser Posts: 30 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Have someone tried this new Star lord with 4pool???

4pool purple + Star lord red when we have a yellow count down looks killer move.

Then you get to match those purple count down tiles too.