**** Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) ****

Options

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Cthulhu wrote:
    I revised his stats, please let me know if you have any questions or see anything that looks incorrect! Thank you.

icon_greengoblin.png Cthulhu icon_greengoblin.png
    Looks like the max level for yellow 3 is listing too many colors...
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Also the L70 and Max Level descriptions for yellow disagree on what number of covers red powers become decreased by 2AP. For L70 it's 3 covers but for Max Level it's 4 covers. Reconciliation and clarification needed.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Testing him out, he does indeed go great with Prof X. Peter's purple is can gain AP with match-5s even if his passive isn't out -- you just need to get a line destroyed. The main problem is that he can go down quickly against 5* teams when he's out in front. 5* BW + Star-Lord + Prof X might be worth looking into, since BW's main color is also purple.

5/5/3 is the way to go.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    If costs are reduced by 2 AP, purple does 987/AP and red does 1613.5/AP.
    I'm guessing you can't get both reduced by 2 with yellow at 3 covers...

Level 3 only affects Red, Yellow, Blue, & Green abilities.

Gotta be level 5 for it to affect Purple.

Tempted to flip between 3/5/5 and 5/5/3 depending on partners. Playing with him during Unstable ISO paired with 3* Cap A, wishing I had him champed to try out 5/5/3.

Even under-leveled, his Red at full power packs a punch. BFF with King Pin I'll bet.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Testing him out, he does indeed go great with Prof X. Peter's purple is can gain AP with match-5s even if his passive isn't out -- you just need to get a line destroyed. The main problem is that he can go down quickly against 5* teams when he's out in front. 5* BW + Star-Lord + Prof X might be worth looking into, since BW's main color is also purple.

5/5/3 is the way to go.

I also tried him with Prof X. My thoughts are the following:

1) You can finally max Prof X rather than underlevel to make him work with GSBW or SW. More health makes the team last longer and also do more damage at a higher level. This is especially important for not dying before getting the requisite amount of AP on boss battles.

2) Unlike GSBW, SL's purple can overwrite Prof X created protect tiles, making it much easier to keep going and not lock yourself out.

3) SL has more health than GSBW, although if you are just starting to level SL now but championed GSBW a long time ago, she will not be that far away.

4) Only creating 3 tiles makes it a lot more difficult to continuously get match 5s compared to GSBW, even though he can ignore special tiles when placing. He also cannot clear the board like GSBW's two other skills, and he doesn't have the huge AOE board clearing move that GSBW green is. I found myself having a lot more difficulty keeping him going than with GSBW due to all these factors.

5) In order to get the cheaper purple, you need the enemy to attack you first to get yellow out. As both SL and Prof X have lower health for the 4 star tier, this can be risky against many stronger one hit opponents.

6) If you make a match five without yellow out, it essentially costs 1 purple AP per Prof X master plan. It is hard to keep match 5s up though with just 3 tiles to place. With yellow out you actually can make 1 purple AP each match 5, but you still have the same potential to run out of match 5s pretty quickly.

So overall, I feel like this is a good alternative, especially for those that already leveled Prof X and don't want a dupe. I still think that the Charlie's Angels team is more reliable in the long run, and thus I would still be more likely to use it over this even if it is slower. Imagine doing the boss wave node in the future, getting to the end of the 3rd wave on round 8, and then dying because you run out of purples to make match 5s with. Much harder to happen with GSBW than SL, although still certainly possible. It really depends on if you prefer reliability over speed and durability. I personally think that while Charlies Angels used to be both about speed and reliability, now it is only about reliability, as there are other faster means to win matches in PvE that are just more risky. So why give up a near sure thing for something not 100% but faster? To each their own though.

Lastly, what shall we name the new team? The Mask, Wheels, and Jazz Hands?
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I`ve tested my "improved" Star-Lord (level 276) in Shield Simulator.

And here are my impressions:

purpleflag.png
    His purple is garbage. The damage is way to low for a championed 4*. It`s only useful to overwrite enemy`s special tiles.

yellowflag.png
    That`s the opposite of his purple: Incredibly useful and fun to play. It`s going to be the ultimate weapen against those CD tiles spamming goons in PVE or in PVP fighting against characters with cheap abilities (e.g. Daken, Gamora, Spider-Man).

redflag.png
    Has it`s niche use. I`ve tested him with IM40 & Iceman to have more than enough CD tiles on my board. With 5 CD tiles on board he deals 8.8k damage.

Conclusion:
    Star-Lord has what it takes to be a good supportive character in PVE (if his build is 3/5/5). When he`s boosted SL will also be a worthwhile alternative in PVP.
  • hopper1979
    hopper1979 Posts: 564 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Tested him a bunch last night as well, not sold on the purple, it is too expensive and the damage is not all that good anymore even though the overwrite is useful. I am not seeing matching him up with Prof-X myself, use his purple to make a 5-match instead of turn Prof-X invisible or use the better Black Widow (1 more purple for a lot more possible 5-matches)? What am I missing here?

I am going to mess with him and Kingpin tonight and see how that goes but, I think it will run into a similar problem you need 10 (8 if his yellow) is going to cast the goons and get those countdowns out, it might play a little slow. Also purple will go to Kingpin not Starloard to get the goons out asap. I was testing him with Chulk and a 360 OML as a tank and that was solid. By third turn you are almost always going to have 2 countdowns on the board which is ~6000 damage for 6 ap, you have two true healers, good board control with Chulks green, and with his red maxed you can cut through teams very quickly between it and Chulks green (which is great at 11 ap). He must stay in the back he is very fragile. I am definitely leaning 3/5/5 unless somebody can explain why the match up with Prof-X is better than the more common combos out there.

Either way I am very happy with his updates, he is fun to play and his yellow is great.
  • laughingMAN
    laughingMAN Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    Running him 553 with Phoenix with excellent results. His yellow allows you to use her red that much earlier, and you can now spam it repeatedly because you can use his purple to either overwrite or 5-match to weaken the attack tile penalty she generates. And of course, all the cascades + crits do massive damage. Conceivably you can run this with any third in pve (in this particular one, a buffed Iceman or Punisher makes any battle pretty breezy).
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    hopper1979 wrote:
    Tested him a bunch last night as well, not sold on the purple, it is too expensive and the damage is not all that good anymore even though the overwrite is useful. I am not seeing matching him up with Prof-X myself, use his purple to make a 5-match instead of turn Prof-X invisible or use the better Black Widow (1 more purple for a lot more possible 5-matches)? What am I missing here?

I am going to mess with him and Kingpin tonight and see how that goes but, I think it will run into a similar problem you need 10 (8 if his yellow) is going to cast the goons and get those countdowns out, it might play a little slow. Also purple will go to Kingpin not Starloard to get the goons out asap. I was testing him with Chulk and a 360 OML as a tank and that was solid. By third turn you are almost always going to have 2 countdowns on the board which is ~6000 damage for 6 ap, you have two true healers, good board control with Chulks green, and with his red maxed you can cut through teams very quickly between it and Chulks green (which is great at 11 ap). He must stay in the back he is very fragile. I am definitely leaning 3/5/5 unless somebody can explain why the match up with Prof-X is better than the more common combos out there.

Either way I am very happy with his updates, he is fun to play and his yellow is great.

Starlord + px works when you have at least one yellow countdown tile out. Then sl purple costs just 8 ap and you can make a match 5 with it giving back total of 9 purple ap. Add in switch and you can quickly get the ball rolling.
  • theshadeofopal
    theshadeofopal Posts: 93 Match Maker
    Options
    Hes great. Like that you can either go utility/infinite with purple or haymaker with red. Im40 plus a strong 4*/5* all partier lets you tear through pve nodes crazy fast. But, can the animation on his yellow get cut down a bit?
  • itsmahvelbaby
    Options
    lol at the people, who cant see the superiority of SL and ProfX

one enemy move and its GO time. ofc, if your prof is at a higher lvl, a 5match will generate blue, but if SL is higher u get:

5 purple from the 5match
    +4 purple from profX passive

u invest 8 purple and get 9 back and do 4.4k dmg
    its stupid beyond believe

i played 10 matches, 3 versus buffed Rhulk. as soon as i had a yellow CD tile and 8 purple, all matches were over. just make sure, that SL is higher than profX
  • Cthulhu
    Cthulhu ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 410 Site Admin
    Options
    i see where I made a mistake, the powers definitely list all the colors but you only get 1 AP for levels 1 and 2. I will double check there isn't anything wrong with him on the build I was testing this with and try to revise the stats today.

thank you!
  • hopper1979
    Options
    I forgot about the 4 purple passive gain of Prof-X so I see it now. But, correct me if I am wrong, for it to be the strongest color Prof-x and Starlord will probably be doing most of the tanking, for example if you throw a good real tank like OML into the mix, black or yellow will probably be the generated color not pink? If this is the case it limits the team up and makes a very squishy team that may need a couple of turns to get rolling depending on the board set-up, now once it is rolling watch out, I see that now. The red packs a hell of a punch for the cost and with somebody who generates red (hello new Blade) it could be a very interesting combo.

Thanks for pointing out the part I was missing, I will concede this looks like a great combo and I will try it out tonight. I think there is definite merit going with 3/5/5 as well and some excellent combo potential in there as well especially if you are pairing him with the likes of Chulk, Kingpin, Loki etc.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dilemma, my Starlord is currently 5/4/4 and I have a red cover in the queue. I guess until I can champ him the best is to respec him to 5/3/5 so at least his DDQ4 is easier... (I dont think I am going to be able champ him this season)
  • hopper1979
    Options
    You want to keep his yellow at 5 the debate is if 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 is better you need the yellow to be 5 for the winfinite combo to work or to maximize his red damage potential. He is definitely worth leveling at this point. I don't think there is any disagreement about that now. He may not be top tire, but he is probably top 1/2 to top 1/3 depending on your play style.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    hopper1979 wrote:
    I forgot about the 4 purple passive gain of Prof-X so I see it now. But, correct me if I am wrong, for it to be the strongest color Prof-x and Starlord will probably be doing most of the tanking, for example if you throw a good real tank like OML into the mix, black or yellow will probably be the generated color not pink? If this is the case it limits the team up and makes a very squishy team that may need a couple of turns to get rolling depending on the board set-up, now once it is rolling watch out, I see that now. The red packs a hell of a punch for the cost and with somebody who generates red (hello new Blade) it could be a very interesting combo.

Thanks for pointing out the part I was missing, I will concede this looks like a great combo and I will try it out tonight. I think there is definite merit going with 3/5/5 as well and some excellent combo potential in there as well especially if you are pairing him with the likes of Chulk, Kingpin, Loki etc.
    oml would make black the 'team's' strongest color. yes it would be squishy compared to rulk and hb but much less squishy than an underleveled px with a couple of 3s (i.e. gsbw), which makes it better. plus the extra health on px makes taking him on more risky if his health gets above the typical 4* aoes. its a pretty big advantage to be able to use a leveled px.
  • itsmahvelbaby
    Options
    [/quote]
    oml would make black the 'team's' strongest color. yes it would be squishy compared to rulk and hb but much less squishy than an underleveled px with a couple of 3s (i.e. gsbw), which makes it better. plus the extra health on px makes taking him on more risky if his health gets above the typical 4* aoes. its a pretty big advantage to be able to use a leveled px.[/quote]

this!

i was sooo fed up to keep my prof at 166, just so i could abuse charlies angels....now i have him at 272 and it is SOO much better

SL and ProfX= match made in heaven
  • hopper1979
    Options
    Not an issue maxed him ages ago gwenpool might be a good 3rd to knock starlord and prof x off the board before a big attack. They are both so squishy if one thing goes wrong it is over. Off to mess with the combo and see what I think. I am still leaning towards towards poke-punch-slash of Kingpin-Star Lord (3/5/5 ) and OML. I always enjoy character who can be played multiple ways. Thanks for the info.
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Starlord winfinite lasted 24h.
  • hopper1979
    Options
    Back to 3/5/5 icon_e_biggrin.gif