**** Star-Lord (Legendary Outlaw) ****

Options

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Is it really worth giving up the 5th purple cover? That doesn't just lose a bit of damage, it loses aoe damage entirely, which makes it much less of a threat.

Plus, purple is wildly more likely to go off than red because it's a target tiles, rather than a random red. Is a 60% chance at massive single-target damage worth more than a 90% chance of significantly single target damage + aoe + board cinteol?
    Specifically for the DDQ where you only face a single enemy? I Think the case can be made, which is why I suggested it. For general use 5 Purple is better in most cases.
    You do make a good Point about targeted Purple vs random red though.

Yeah the big difference is the targeted part, purple will go off 90% of the times, red on the other hand, probably not more than 50% on average. So for me 5/5/3 or 5/4/4
  • areacode212
    areacode212 Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I've been kicking a lot of **** this week with Star-Lord & Rulk both boosted. His yellow lowers Rulk's Gamma Siphon cost to 5 and his Hammer & Anvil to 7 (which happens to be the exact amount of green AP you get from GS). Throw out SL red to make the opponent's Rulk costs higher so he doesn't Gamma Siphon or AoE you. If it actually lasts long enough to resolve, it's a bonus 10k damage.

In PvE, toss SW into the mix to speed things up.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've been kicking a lot of **** this week with Star-Lord & Rulk both boosted. His yellow lowers Rulk's Gamma Siphon cost to 5 and his Hammer & Anvil to 7 (which happens to be the exact amount of green AP you get from GS). Throw out SL red to make the opponent's Rulk costs higher so he doesn't Gamma Siphon or AoE you. If it actually lasts long enough to resolve, it's a bonus 10k damage.

In PvE, toss SW into the mix to speed things up.

It's not a bad strategy to use if you have to use those two characters. But I am still pretty sure that there is a better tool for almost any task than star-lord. when running a boosted rulk, pink and green is really all that matters. Collecting the 7 yellow to make pink and green cheaper is only worthwhile if there is no pink or green to collect instead.

I think you would probably kick just as much, if not more, **** this week running a champed rulk + Switch to provide a steady supply of purple.

Sorry, but I just can't stand by while someone says something nice about Star-Lord! He sucks and needs to be fixed (especially now that Peggy exists to illustrate exactly how his powers SHOULD operate: they should be contingent passives). Don't give the devs any fodder to think that 'the players love star-lord the way he is, so we want to leave things fun and challenging!'
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I usually run Rulk with Iron Man 40 instead of Switch, I find him much faster.
    I suppose Star-Lord might be an acceptable alternative for those nodes on Thunderbolts Mountain where Iron Man is locked out though.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quebbster wrote:
    I suppose Star-Lord might be an acceptable alternative for those nodes on Thunderbolts Mountain where Iron Man is locked out though.
    You don't use Starlord to accelerate abilities that require 18 AP. If you use him at all, it's to accelerate abilities that use 5AP.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:
    You don't use Starlord to accelerate abilities that require 18 AP. If you use him at all, it's to accelerate abilities that use 5AP.
    Yeah, I like running Star-Lord with Iceman and Nova. Their abilities are good at 6AP but even better when they cost 4AP. icon_e_smile.gif
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You don't use him to drop the cost of green, you use him to drop the cost of purple and get 14 green AP for 10 purple AP.
  • simonsez
    Options
    You don't use him to drop the cost of green, you use him to drop the cost of purple and get 14 green AP for 10 purple AP.
    Right, and after spending all that yellow and purple, you're still not ready to use green. Again, there are way better ways to accelerate RHulk's green, and way better abilities to accelerate with Starlord's yellow. Stop being like the devs trying to make him a swiss army knife.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Right, and after spending all that yellow and purple, you're still not ready to use green. Again, there are way better ways to accelerate RHulk's green, and way better abilities to accelerate with Starlord's yellow. Stop being like the devs trying to make him a swiss army knife.
    unless you have oml/phx strikes out and you've gone 7+7 and already done the same damage that 18 green would have done anyway.
  • azmadu
    azmadu Posts: 63 Match Maker
    Options
    Talahamut wrote:
    No one has considered 4/4/5 for him?

Full red damage and effect.
    You still get the CD removal with purple (but lose its relatively weak AoE).
    You still get the 2-AP cost reduction on yellow (giving up the effect to purple powers).

I currently have this setup and have two covers waiting in my stash, 1 yellow and 1 purple and am thinking should I go 5/5/3 or 3/5/5.

All the arguments I've read are all very good and are exactly the same a post made for she hulk and whether you should go for pvp 3/5/5 or pve 5,5,3. Ultimately it argued for the balance between the two and go 4/5/4 for she hulk, and I'm looking at Star Lord in the same way with 4/5/4 as everyone seems to agree that the yellow is the most potent skill to have at 5, much like she hulks green drain.

I'm only at lvl 160 so quite a long way from champion where I'll be able to switch configuration depending on opponent, but until then I'm in quandry land.... icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 624 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Star-Lord's revamped powers (arriving at the start of next season) are listed in the newspost in the in-game Help menu. (Help -> News -> Next Season Updates) VERY eager to see the full stats for these!!
  • morph3us
    morph3us Posts: 859 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Transcribed for easy reference:

Sleight of Hand - 10 AP
    Turns 1-3 selected non-Countdown tiles into 3-turn Countdown tiles which deal damage to the target.
    Upgrades include targeting Countdown tiles as well as dealing team damage when the Countdowns expire.

Everyone With Me - Passive
    Whenever an enemy fires a power, place a Countdown tile that gains AP in a random color. While at least one of these tiles is on the board, friendly powers have their AP costs reduced.
    Upgrades include more AP colors, More AP returned, and higher AP-cost reduction.
    There can only be 4 of these friendly Countdown tiles at any one point.

Oldest Trick in the Book - 8 AP
    Deals damage plus additional damage for every friendly Countdown tile.
    Up to 6 Countdown Tiles.
  • Black Duke
    Black Duke Posts: 694 Critical Contributor
    Options
    morph3us wrote:
    Transcribed for easy reference:

Sleight of Hand - 10 AP
    Turns 1-3 selected non-Countdown tiles into 3-turn Countdown tiles which deal damage to the target.
    Upgrades include targeting Countdown tiles as well as dealing team damage when the Countdowns expire.

Everyone With Me - Passive
    Whenever an enemy fires a power, place a Countdown tile that gains AP in a random color. While at least one of these tiles is on the board, friendly powers have their AP costs reduced.
    Upgrades include more AP colors, More AP returned, and higher AP-cost reduction.
    There can only be 4 of these friendly Countdown tiles at any one point.

Oldest Trick in the Book - 8 AP
    Deals damage plus additional damage for every friendly Countdown tile.
    Up to 6 Countdown Tiles.
    Sounds very interesting! Since I championed SL my favourite build was 5/3/5 (for the best damage output) but after looking at his new passive ability I might change my mind. icon_e_wink.gif
  • AlphaNik
    AlphaNik Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Options
    He should work well with Drax, shouldn't he?
  • roberts_2
    roberts_2 Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Drax use red+purple too, Star Lord works well with Grocket and with rebalance must work fine with everyone yellow/black/blue/green. X-Force/Invisible Woman must be good pairs with new Star Lord.
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Need to make a call on championing him withing 48 hours. Not sure he will be a beast. He could work well with Kingpin (I don't have him champed) and also Ant-Man. With the latter they could be a deadly PvE team - boost or no boost. Or maybe not icon_e_sad.gif Any thoughts?
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    If the passive still reduces 5 colors by 2 AP, he will be a PVE god. He loses enemy AP increasing (and Peggy was better for that anyway) but becomes a useful character against Countdown users.

Assuming Peter still reduces purple, Star-Lord + Prof X + 3*BW is now the winfinite combo of choice. X can now be safely raised to level 271 if S-L is at level 272 or higher. If his purple turns tiles purple like it currently does, he will be able to make match-5s himself for 8 AP, getting 5 AP back from the tiles and 4 AP from X's passive, gaining 1 AP every time.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wonder if the AP reduction will also be random, based on the color that the CD tile is placed on? That would put a real damper on this re-work.
  • jobob
    jobob Posts: 680 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Also, now that it's not an active yellow ability... he's really going to rock with IM40/Ice.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Assuming Peter still reduces purple, Star-Lord + Prof X + 3*BW is now the winfinite combo of choice. X can now be safely raised to level 271 if S-L is at level 272 or higher. If his purple turns tiles purple like it currently does, he will be able to make match-5s himself for 8 AP, getting 5 AP back from the tiles and 4 AP from X's passive, gaining 1 AP every time.
    I like it. But if you're using his purple to make match 5s, do we need BW?