The Hunt: Ares

Comments

• Nemek wrote:
    nihilium wrote:
    This event hates me :/
    Subs end at 6am half of the time and I go to sleep at #45 and wake up to a heroic token *sigh*
    The red ares covers sooo evade me.

How do ppl end up getting high places und subs? My listing in the main hunt rarely drops low enough for me to get many ponts in subs..
    I mean I cant get enough points to get the covers I need because missions just dont give them and I cant drop low enough for rubberbanding. And probably ppl in the mainquest will rush past me on the last day, Im desperate :/

*looks at her 3/1/4 Ares*

Rubber banding is not based on the main bracket this time around. So, everybody has an equal chance of winning the subs. The result of that is that it's primarily the same people winning them over and over again. The key to winning is being able to do the 240 missions quickly.
    Indeed. demiurge has perhaps a few hundred out of some 60k active players kvetching that they need HP sinks for all they've accumulated from early tournaments and selling dupe 3*s by the bushel, while everyone else is recoiling in horror at 200HP to shield while they sleep. Their response? Bombard the players who likely need it least with thousands of free HP; 250 ISO and a standard pull for the rest of you.

I don't at all begrudge the players who put in the effort to get these freebies, but I'm bemused as to what the developers think they're achieving.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Hm, something I just realized. The overall event ends at the same time as The Hunt: Florida. Does that mean The Hunt: Savage is going to end at the same time as The Hunt: Florida too?...and only be 24 hours long instead of 36? But...I can't win them both that way...!
  • Only about 1 day left! Cant wait for my punisher covers!
  • Nemek wrote:
    But...I can't win them both that way...!
    Would you care for a small wager on that?

I think the widespread perception that a lot of people "aren't trying" this time round is basically right. Holidays are a sadly distant memory and people are a bit burned out on week-long timing-sensitive grindfests with scoring so abstruse no one fully understands it, and the moment anyone does the rules change. But it does neglect the fact a lot of people can't try. The buffed characters this time round are ones next to no one uses or some people don't have. Plenty of people have no Bag Lady, and even if you do her 200+ missions are thoroughly unpleasant to grind down with most of the few pairs of characters actually doing anything that will work. There are presumably still people with no Punisher, and no really usable Hulk for his 240 mission in Alaska. Hawkeye remains underrated as ever. Bad, but underrated. I think it's because he can be so frustrating.

For my part, I've been focusing on tournaments this week and settling for top 10s or 50s and a couple total washouts in The Hunt. Missed the free 1000HP and ***Widows/Spideys in the three days it took Demiurge to trash the Shield Training progression awards they totally wanted people to reach, so was determined to snatch some above my roster level freebies out of Feral Claws and affordable shields while they lasted.
  • Veracity wrote:
    Nemek wrote:

I think the widespread perception that a lot of people "aren't trying" this time round is basically right. Holidays are a sadly distant memory and people are a bit burned out on week-long timing-sensitive grindfests with scoring so abstruse no one fully understands it, and the moment anyone does the rules change. But it does neglect the fact a lot of people can't try. The buffed characters this time round are ones next to no one uses or some people don't have. Plenty of people have no Bag Lady, and even if you do her 200+ missions are thoroughly unpleasant to grind down with most of the few pairs of characters actually doing anything that will work. There are presumably still people with no Punisher, and no really usable Hulk for his 240 mission in Alaska. Hawkeye remains underrated as ever. Bad, but underrated. I think it's because he can be so frustrating.

For my part, I've been focusing on tournaments this week and settling for top 10s or 50s and a couple total washouts in The Hunt. Missed the free 1000HP and ***Widows/Spideys in the three days it took Demiurge to trash the Shield Training progression awards they totally wanted people to reach, so was determined to snatch some above my roster level freebies out of Feral Claws and affordable shields while they lasted.

I would like to add that the fights are actually harder this time as well..in part due to there being more required characters and in part due to ares tending to take the place of the weakest character on the team (and despite the rag nerf).

@nemek. There might still be playoff football (American) on! You shouldn't be playing either! Unless the seahawks are up by 4 touchdowns in which case I will be grabbing the beer and champaign and walking around the local park with my phone ignoring worried phonecalls while playing mahvel.
  • The characters with the significant boosts (IW, Captain America) are also in no way comparable to Wolverine/Spiderman getting boosted in The Hulk event. Your enemy is generally harder (Ares is certainly stronger than anyone on the Dark Avengers lineup minus pre nerf Ragnarok), and your boosted characters are considerably weaker than last time. Wolverine can actually go toe to toe for a while with the level 240 guys with his 6K HP + regen, while I had a hard time having IW even surviving long enough against level 240 match 3s, let alone any moves from Ares.
  • Phantron wrote:
    The characters with the significant boosts (IW, Captain America) are also in no way comparable to Wolverine/Spiderman getting boosted in The Hulk event. Your enemy is generally harder (Ares is certainly stronger than anyone on the Dark Avengers lineup minus pre nerf Ragnarok), and your boosted characters are considerably weaker than last time. Wolverine can actually go toe to toe for a while with the level 240 guys with his 6K HP + regen, while I had a hard time having IW even surviving long enough against level 240 match 3s, let alone any moves from Ares.

Oh yea, forgot to mention that. Guess who was boosted for the last hunt event? Thor...so...2k+ reds and 4.5k+ yellows. Muuuuuch easier.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Veracity wrote:
    Nemek wrote:

I would like to add that the fights are actually harder this time as well..in part due to there being more required characters and in part due to ares tending to take the place of the weakest character on the team (and despite the rag nerf).

@nemek. There might still be playoff football (American) on! You shouldn't be playing either! Unless the seahawks are up by 4 touchdowns in which case I will be grabbing the beer and champaign and walking around the local park with my phone ignoring worried phonecalls while playing mahvel.
    Also, the buffed characters are not quite as good. Last PvE had buffed Wolv, and IIRC last time this was run it had buffed thor? But yeah, mostly Ares. Rag cascaded a lot, but his actual damage output wasn't 1-shot territory
  • If you dumped all your event ISO into Ares, you basically get to play that ridiculous version of him in the tournaments. Not necessarily the soundest investment compared to semi-viable 3*s, granted, but after Thorverine bursting some hundreds of the buggers down in the previous tournaments, not much could be more satisfying than one-hitting level 100 Hulks with Onslaught. Oh, so you like green? HERE, HAVE SOME GREEN!
  • So it appears that once the last 2 sub events end that the event will be over. Of I remember correctly after the last hunt there was a 6? 12? I don't remember how many hour period where we could do some non repeatables and a final bit of story line. It appears as if this won't happen this time? Thoughts?
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    So it appears that once the last 2 sub events end that the event will be over. Of I remember correctly after the last hunt there was a 6? 12? I don't remember how many hour period where we could do some non repeatables and a final bit of story line. It appears as if this won't happen this time? Thoughts?

You're thinking of The Hulk. The Hunt worked as it does today.
  • Veracity wrote:
    If you dumped all your event ISO into Ares, you basically get to play that ridiculous version of him in the tournaments. Not necessarily the soundest investment compared to semi-viable 3*s, granted, but after Thorverine bursting some hundreds of the buggers down in the previous tournaments, not much could be more satisfying than one-hitting level 100 Hulks with Onslaught. Oh, so you like green? HERE, HAVE SOME GREEN!

The buffed big Ares is kinda insane. In the first round it was yet rare to spot, by now most have it over 50 and the 80+ is also pretty common. As someone put it, Ares runs his own show, your stockpiled 6 green blasts over 3K (4500 if you pick another green right on), saw goodbye to any support member in the way. And the other 3 attacks are also primed. If their Ares is a little smaller you can just expose yours to the onslaught and fire back their green. icon_e_smile.gif (it's pretty fun to combine with BW, immediately stealing back the delivered green and use it next turn for another kill.)

I started using Ares in the hunt missions, not buffed there yet still fun -- he uses 3 colors actively with not so big cost and a ton of strategic value, IOW I found him pretty fun to play with. So no regrets on dumping all that ISO on him (need just 1500 more for max icon_e_wink.gif.
  • Spoit
    I should have slacked off just a little bit less. Missed top 2 in the main bracket by a mere 400 points. Hats off to you russad
  • Haha I really screwed up. Top 3 in each of the three events. I didn't focus enough on just one. Oh well icon_e_sad.gif
  • Yea,I screwed up. I wanted top 10 in the other sub and took a little time off the other one and lost my top 2 spot. Missed by 40 points.

Oh we'll,it's just HP.
  • Yep. I wanted that IW cover too and I was in 1st most of the day but I started my push too late.
  • Won my bracket by about 15k points...so yea...depressed though. Niners lost :'(

Jumped on with 45 min and ended up able go win one of the brackets so I am happy about that though. It oddly reset some of my main missions in Florida ..I don't care to explain more other than it was totally messed up and I am glad l realized I could replay them to unlock more than the first 3 repeatables.
  • Ouch, spread myself too thin and top 3 in all those icon_e_sad.gif
  • I've only gotten my rewards for The Hunt and for The Savage Land, not for the Lab one. Weird.
  • Spoit
    Roya PQ wrote:
    Ouch, spread myself too thin and top 3 in all those icon_e_sad.gif
    ouch. I think I even saw you in one of my brackets