Planned Updates To Shields - New Start Date

Options

Comments

• kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    The 166 wall is more a matter of the MMR, more than the point distribution. Even in the depressed scores of desert brackets, it's still around 600
    I hope those in favor of update to shields face a wall of 249/270/270 instead of 249/166/166. Good luck to them!
  • Whether the wall is 20 or 30 foot high does not make a difference, you can not climb either.
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm loving the people thinking this change makes the game less pay to win and less reliant on out of game communication to hop... you guys are somewhere between idealistic and naive.

Lets look at the facts:

There is an absolute limit to what score you can achieve unshielded. If you've never had a genuinely high score and been unshielded in the last 3 hours of PvP for any length of time OR in the last 30 mins for almost any length of time you wouldn't understand... Best example I have is the recent pvp where 4* Thor was the 1st place reward. In my bracket 3 ppl vying for first all tried to win ONE SINGLE MATCH in the last 10 minutes to try and get/secure 1st. They won their matches and all LOST over 100 points (highest 157). If youa re not shielded you get torn apart at higher scores full stop.

This means shield hopping will ALWAYS beat people not shield hopping. If you don't shield hop you don't get to win, period.

SO these changes remove shield hopping right? Err..... no.... Instead you can hop twice, wait 8 hours, hop 3 times, rinse repeat (assuming you want to). Even that first pair of hops means I get to beat you if you don't hop end of story. You still won't get to win.

SO what is the real impact? Simple.... you need to use more expensive shields to hop (3 hour shields are actually kind of useless unless it's to hop and follow with an 8 hour or the last 3 hours of the event) which means *drum roll* the game just got MORE pay to win! Hooray!

The best bit is those players who don't spend heavily on the game won't have the chance to splurge some saved up HP on a specific event to try and get to 1300 for a cover because it just got a LOT more expensive between needing to use longer than necessary shields AND those guys getting 1400, 1500, 1600, 3000 (crazy ppl) points won't be doing that with the increased cost and more to the point impossibility to hop as often so YOU won't be getting 45+ points when you hop.

SO enjoy more expensive hopping for LESS points OR just sitting there behind the exact same people. It'll be by less points but that won't actually get you anything at all....

As far as communication outside the game goes when hops become that much more important with respect to points scored, being able to co-ordinate targets in an extended alliance will give an even bigger advantage than it does already. Outside communication will be getting a buff! Hooray!?

Whole thing remains poorly thought out ****.

As a side note. People trying to entirely remove the shield hopping effect in the hope it somehow levels the playing field entirely and they suddenly start winning I have this to point out:

SOMETHING is going to differentiate who comes first. Remove shield hopping (and by extension HP spending) then it will have to be something else, probably relating to activity or co-ordination. Well those guys scoring 2k+ points are indeed spending to win but they ALSO co-ordinate better than you AND they almost certainly are more active and hardcore than you. If you think HP spending is somehow propping up people who otherwise do nothing and you'll obviously beat with your superior *something-or-other* if shields go then you're dreaming.
  • bonfire01 wrote:
    I'm loving the people thinking this change makes the game less pay to win and less reliant on out of game communication to hop... you guys are somewhere between idealistic and naive.

Lets look at the facts:

There is an absolute limit to what score you can achieve unshielded. If you've never had a genuinely high score and been unshielded in the last 3 hours of PvP for any length of time OR in the last 30 mins for almost any length of time you wouldn't understand... Best example I have is the recent pvp where 4* Thor was the 1st place reward. In my bracket 3 ppl vying for first all tried to win ONE SINGLE MATCH in the last 10 minutes to try and get/secure 1st. They won their matches and all LOST over 100 points (highest 157). If youa re not shielded you get torn apart at higher scores full stop.

This means shield hopping will ALWAYS beat people not shield hopping. If you don't shield hop you don't get to win, period.

SO these changes remove shield hopping right? Err..... no.... Instead you can hop twice, wait 8 hours, hop 3 times, rinse repeat (assuming you want to). Even that first pair of hops means I get to beat you if you don't hop end of story. You still won't get to win.

SO what is the real impact? Simple.... you need to use more expensive shields to hop (3 hour shields are actually kind of useless unless it's to hop and follow with an 8 hour or the last 3 hours of the event) which means *drum roll* the game just got MORE pay to win! Hooray!

The best bit is those players who don't spend heavily on the game won't have the chance to splurge some saved up HP on a specific event to try and get to 1300 for a cover because it just got a LOT more expensive between needing to use longer than necessary shields AND those guys getting 1400, 1500, 1500, 3000 (crazy ppl) points won't be doing that with the increased cost and more to the point impossibility to hop as often so YOU won't be getting 45+ points when you hop.

SO enjoy more expensive hopping for LESS points OR just sitting there behind the exact same people. It'll be by less points but that won't actually get you anything at all....

As far as communication outside the game goes when hops become that much more important with respect to points scored, being able to co-ordinate targets in an extended alliance will give an even bigger advantage than it does already. Outside communication will be getting a buff! Hooray!?

Whole thing remains poorly thought out ****.

As a side note. People trying to entirely remove the shield hopping effect in the hope it somehow levels the playing field entirely and they suddenly start winning I have this to point out:

SOMETHING is going to differentiate who comes first. Remove shield hopping (and by extension HP spending) then it will have to be something else, probably relating to activity or co-ordination. Well those guys scoring 2k+ points are indeed spending to win but they ALSO co-ordinate better than you AND they almost certainly are more active and hardcore than you. If you think HP spending is somehow propping up people who otherwise do nothing and you'll obviously beat with your superior *something-or-other* if shields go then you're dreaming.

You have no idea how many posts I wanted to respond to saying simply "Idiot." It has become surprisingy apparent that most of the best players are the best because they understand the game the best (especially now with the nerf to Sentry).
  • I feel like the analogy, 'It takes money to make money' fits in here somehow.

Obviously you need to understand the game to compete at a high level. However you have no chance of competing out a high level if the other team has juiced balls.

Shield CD's however should be shorter than the shield, - not the same or longer
  • LoreNYC wrote:
    I feel like the analogy, 'It takes money to make money' fits in here somehow.

Obviously you need to understand the game to compete at a high level. However you have no chance of competing out a high level if the other team has juiced balls.

Shield CD's however should be shorter than the shield, - not the same or longer

Actually, after I got some sleep the other day, I actually figured out why the 3 hours shield has an 8 hour cool down. It make good sense and would be nice if they had just stated the reason behind it upfront.

They want to limit shield the number of shield hops in an eight hour period. I think we all caught on to that one.

Essentially, they are leaving the three hour shield for people that want a cheaper shield for the end of events. Meaning if you are done with the event and want to secure your score in the last three hours, this shield option is for you. What they do not want is shield hopping every three hours. This is the reason the three hour shield is still there, but has an eight hour cool down.

I'm not saying I agree that people should have stay shielded for eight hours. As I said on page 3, I think people should be able to "pause" the game whenever they want. However, if the option is a 3 hour shield for the end of events or no 3 hour shield at all, I would prefer a 3 hours shield just for the end of events.
  • Orangecrush
    Options
    It seems to me that prior to shields being introduced, it was nearly impossible to get the 1000+ progression rewards because of the zero sum gain nature of the scoring. The question is do they want us to have a realistic chance at getting the 1000+ progression rewards without shield hopping. If so, perhaps they should consider changing the nature of the scoring.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    DuckyV wrote:
    In regards to the outside the game communication aspect: isn't that something that they would want as it would increase the chances that their game is introduced to new people?

Stop talking sense. This theoretical nerf is supposed to hurt people who excel in communication. These are the people who like to praise the game via word of mouth.
    I post the MPQ advertisements on my facebook page and sent out all those rewards to others. I hope they don't start punishing me for that as well.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    rbdragon wrote:
    It was mentioned in this (or a different) thread that shields were made to allow the user to step away from the game without being hit. If this is true, then there's an easy solution to remove shield-hopping: make shields free.

Okay, before you down-vote this (and at risk of making my previous post sound bad since perhaps it came from someone clearly out of his mind), here me out a bit...

IF shields were created strictly to give users a break, then once you click a shield (no timer necessary), it should take you immediately out of the tournament screen. Once you click the tournament to go back in and play again, a prompt would remind you that your shield will be broken if you enter, where you click enter or cancel.

But won't this just make shield-hopping easier and cheaper?
    Well no, because you can't shield and then set up your queues for when you're ready to unshield since you are removed from the screen.

But can't we just set up our queues before we play our last match and then shield - this way we have two set up still after we play the 3rd node?
    Hmmm...good point - guess we'll have to clear the queue when you shield as well, thus ensuring you a fresh queue when you re-enter.

But that sucks! What if you're queue is filled with all low-point players, since matchmaking is based on MMR?
    Another good point Devil's Advocate Me...guess our queue needs to go by points as well as MMR - something like you cannot see players with less than x points below you, or y points above you....with the least a match is worth being 15, and the most being 50 (once y = 50 pt match, you don't see players above that, which keeps new entries from seeing 1500 pt players).

But shields make D3 a lot of coin...
    Not my problem...if they value fairness, this could be an option maybe....besides, they can get much MUCH more cash from us if they would introduce skins or some other fun aspect of the game that is missing...

I don't know if this is a good idea or a horrible idea - just a different one.....at least I think it's different...if someone else suggested it, my bad...

About making shields free. That's part of the revenue. I want to actually play this game for a while, and not have the developer go broke.
    In any case the end result of this is, Mister 1000 point comes back after shield break. First thing is he going to have the lag of the load up. Mister 1000 points looks at his node, and sets up. By then he has already been hit due to the delay for negative 40 points by the 700 point people because he has immediately popped up on somebodies node.
    As somebody stated before, if you are even remotely a high value target, you will be hit hard and fast by lots of people. I have watched people with over 1500 points have a shield break and lose over 500 points in a span of less than 20 minutes.

What a lot of people seem to forget is there is strategy involved with shield hopping, there excitement and a rush involved. If you take that way, you have just turned the game into a giant lightning round.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It seems to me that prior to shields being introduced, it was nearly impossible to get the 1000+ progression rewards because of the zero sum gain nature of the scoring. The question is do they want us to have a realistic chance at getting the 1000+ progression rewards without shield hopping. If so, perhaps they should consider changing the nature of the scoring.
    They adjusted the progression reward tiers after shields were introduced. I don't recall exactly what they were, but I want to say that the 3* progression reward was at 800?

Nope, I was wrong, that was the 500 HP prize, 3* covers were still at 1100 and 1300
  • Spoit wrote:
    They adjusted the progression reward tiers after shields were introduced. I don't recall exactly what they were, but I want to say that the 3* progression reward was at 800?

Nope, I was wrong, that was the 500 HP prize, 3* covers were still at 1100 and 1300

I thought 500 HP is for SHIELD training in the 2000+ and they had really good prizes for hitting that because the highest SHIELD training score was probably 1200. I'm pretty sure anything above 1000 in PvP before shields was in the realm of "I heard this guy got to 1XXX but there's no proof". Not saying it wasn't possible, but I sure don't recall ever seeing scores that high so they must have been very ephemeral.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    whitecat31 wrote:
    rbdragon wrote:
    It was mentioned in this (or a different) thread that shields were made to allow the user to step away from the game without being hit. If this is true, then there's an easy solution to remove shield-hopping: make shields free.

Okay, before you down-vote this (and at risk of making my previous post sound bad since perhaps it came from someone clearly out of his mind), here me out a bit...

IF shields were created strictly to give users a break, then once you click a shield (no timer necessary), it should take you immediately out of the tournament screen. Once you click the tournament to go back in and play again, a prompt would remind you that your shield will be broken if you enter, where you click enter or cancel.

But won't this just make shield-hopping easier and cheaper?
    Well no, because you can't shield and then set up your queues for when you're ready to unshield since you are removed from the screen.

But can't we just set up our queues before we play our last match and then shield - this way we have two set up still after we play the 3rd node?
    Hmmm...good point - guess we'll have to clear the queue when you shield as well, thus ensuring you a fresh queue when you re-enter.

But that sucks! What if you're queue is filled with all low-point players, since matchmaking is based on MMR?
    Another good point Devil's Advocate Me...guess our queue needs to go by points as well as MMR - something like you cannot see players with less than x points below you, or y points above you....with the least a match is worth being 15, and the most being 50 (once y = 50 pt match, you don't see players above that, which keeps new entries from seeing 1500 pt players).

But shields make D3 a lot of coin...
    Not my problem...if they value fairness, this could be an option maybe....besides, they can get much MUCH more cash from us if they would introduce skins or some other fun aspect of the game that is missing...

I don't know if this is a good idea or a horrible idea - just a different one.....at least I think it's different...if someone else suggested it, my bad...

About making shields free. That's part of the revenue. I want to actually play this game for a while, and not have the developer go broke.
    In any case the end result of this is, Mister 1000 point comes back after shield break. First thing is he going to have the lag of the load up. Mister 1000 points looks at his node, and sets up. By then he has already been hit due to the delay for negative 40 points by the 700 point people because he has immediately popped up on somebodies node.
    As somebody stated before, if you are even remotely a high value target, you will be hit hard and fast by lots of people. I have watched people with over 1500 points have a shield break and lose over 500 points in a span of less than 20 minutes.

What a lot of people seem to forget is there is strategy involved with shield hopping, there excitement and a rush involved. If you take that way, you have just turned the game into a giant lightning round.

The financial aspect - that can be made up in different areas should this be a route they choose to go down in the future (not that I would expect it to be mind you) - the developer is not going to go broke...

As far as the lag of the load up - not exactly sure what you mean by that - I don't experience any lag when I enter a tournament. If you mean the time it takes to click a node and then go through the character choice/boost screens, then that's a fair point. There are 2 ways to handle this - either make everyone visible at all times, regardless of shields, or implement a buffer once you unshield of ___ seconds (90 - 120 sounds fair) before you enter queues once again. And limit the number of queues you can be in at one time.

As I said before - I don't know if it's good or bad - I'm just trying to think outside the box instead of just complaining and criticizing without offering any solutions...I never said they were GOOD solutions icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

I thought 500 HP is for SHIELD training in the 2000+ and they had really good prizes for hitting that because the highest SHIELD training score was probably 1200. I'm pretty sure anything above 1000 in PvP before shields was in the realm of "I heard this guy got to 1XXX but there's no proof". Not saying it wasn't possible, but I sure don't recall ever seeing scores that high so they must have been very ephemeral.
    It was short lived, yeah, but the 1st cover was doable with the ap boosts only being iso. The second one wasn't really that reachable though I did it a few times, like the purple spider man after the rng hated me and didn't give it to me on worthy of the refreshes that pve
  • IamTheBiggs
    IamTheBiggs Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I, for one, am interested in seeing how this plays out. Been playing since Jan, and this might be one of the smarter moves made by the devs. I don't see folks leaving wholesale any time soon.
  • I'm still relatively new to MPQ, I can share in other players frustration though that without shields, a 2 hour break can at times mean a huge drop in ranking do to the horde. It is very disheartening to play a match and win 20 points to find you were beaten 3 times and have lost 2x what you just won. Several people on the forums have posted ideas on how the various PvP issues could be resolved.

I urge the devs to listen.

The other thread is locked, but I'd like to put my opinion behind losses not affecting your score, because the fact is my favorite team up at the moment gets beat easily because the game's AI doesn't use the same strategies I do. So I feel like I am being unfairly penalized because the AI is lacking on defense. I'm ok with other people playing more, better out of game communication, etc. to get ahead but the huge drop in points at times when unshielded is beyond frustrating.
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ultimately, PVP will never be "fair" or "not broken" until it is Player A vs Player B, not Player A vs AI version of Player B...
  • bonfire01 wrote:
    I'm loving the people thinking this change makes the game less pay to win and less reliant on out of game communication to hop... you guys are somewhere between idealistic and naive. etc. etc.

I love you, if I didn't already have 4 kids and wasn't male I would offer to have your babies. You have distilled my thoughts perfectly and I join you in your incredulity at this ridiculous change.

I make 1300pts regularly in PVP and that is with 1 run to 1100 or so, and a couple of hops. I don't coordinate hops with other alliance members I just take a break so I don't get a huge number of retals and look for some juicy targets. Normally I take 3 hr breaks to line up with my breaks at work or getting the kids to bed, getting dinner ready ,etc at home. This means I'll be doing the same thing but at a hugely inflated cost. I don't think using 3 shields in an event is extreme but making me pay extra because instead of 3 x 3hr shields I need to use a 3hr, 8hr and maybe even a 24hr shield if they stick with their 8hr cooldown on 8hr shields.

This hurts everyone, damned stupid idea. I'm just going to have to see if I decide to spend my money elsewhere going forward.
  • Let me start off by saying that the new changes wont affect me really since i quit hopping when sentry was nerfed. But just wanted to make a suggestion, why not just limit the amount of losses a player can take within a certain time frame? The reason hopping is used is to avoid the 4999 players to 1 disadvantage you face while climbing the ranks, i.e. make 60 points, lose 120, net -60...just isnt possible to either stay where you are or even progress. However, if you limit the losses to...lets say 3 per every 10 minutes, you have a good shot to actually progress or stay even. Also, limit it to 3 attacks when you are idle or not playing and then the loss limit is reset once you are active again. Everyone is focused on the shield aspect of the game whereas this 4999 vs. 1 dynamic is why i would think most ppl shield anyways cause you cant stay ahead of the onslaught of ppl attacking you. Just a thought.
  • homeinvasion
    homeinvasion Posts: 415 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    how can we squeeze more money out of the same peeps?

Oh I know randomize the cost for each shield hop, the whales will keep paying but noone else will.

Honestly if you are trying to be serious just remove shields, this is another blatant cash grab.
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    how can we squeeze more money out of the same peeps?

Oh I know randomize the cost for each shield hop, the whales will keep paying but noone else will.

Honestly if you are trying to be serious just remove shields, this is another blatant cash grab.

You do realize how contradictory the bold is to the italicized, right? How is it a cash grab if less people are going shield hop?