Planned Updates To Shields - New Start Date

Options

Comments

• gamar wrote:
    gobstopper wrote:
    Sontar wrote:
    I think the positions on this issue are neatly split along the line of those equating spending HP for hops with being competitive and those that do not.

For the former group this change threatens to destroy/reduce competition because fewer players are able to participate. For the latter the change will increase competition by bringing the portion of the shield hoppers that can not sustain hopping after the change down to a level playing field.
    I don't think you understand how the ladder system works. If you have a level playing field that means no one is gaining points faster than they lose. Which also means PvP turns into PvE - whoever can grind the most in the least amount of time wins. The only difference is PvP doesn't have scaling and rubberbanding to help transitioners. Thus, the people with max rosters will still have the advantage - as they should. It also means placement is determined completely randomly in the final minutes.

I don't agree that the positions on this issue are neatly split. It's an uneven split, between those that understand the meta and dynamics of PvP scoring, and those that don't. You might see the 2k scores and feel "robbed" of top rewards due to P2W. But you have to understand that if top scorers were suddenly scoring only 1k due to shield hop limits, you STILL have ZERO shot at beating them. The top scorers are providing the points for the rest of the playerbase. If their scores go down, so will yours.

Finally, the case for leveling the playing field is flawed at best. The players with maxed rosters weren't magically gifted them overnight. They either put in a ton of time, or paid $. Why should those who either have not put in the time or the $ be able to run with those who have? (Referring only to PvP, as in PvE anyone can win, independent of roster strength, as long as you have the essential characters)
    Among the people that as you say "understand the dynamic of PVP scoring" I've seen arguments in this thread that this will (a) not prevent 2k scores in the slightest, (b) make the top scores much lower but lower everybody else's scores similarly, and (c) scrunch everyone's scores together as intended but that's bad

There might be a few alliances willing to spend and coordinate every 8 hours to do the necessary hopping. But as usual, you forget that 99% of players aren't going for 1300. There's HARD numbers in the game system - the "good" progression rewards, the post-600 "wall of 166"... If scores go down after the change (and I think they will just through the nature of disincentives) the guy at 600 or 700 points doesn't need people at 1500 to get his high point battles, and as top20 and top50 take lower scores those races will open up for him again
    Maybe I'm just misunderstanding you, but none of your post refutes anything in my post.

I don't presume to speak for anyone else in this thread; my comments only reflect my personal opinion. Is there supposed to be a counterclaim in your first paragraph that I'm missing?

Re: your second paragraph. Again, not sure what you're addressing here. Are my statements implying that 99% of players are going for 1300? That isn't my intention. "...the guy at 600 or 700 points doesn't need people at 1500 to get his high point battles, and as top20 and top50 take lower scores those races will open up for him again" - Your statement actually supports my opinion that a) points will go down, b) it will take more effort just to hit the same point totals (because more races opening up means more competition means more attacks and retals), and c) you still won't be able to beat the players that are shield hopping now, because they will be willing to spend $ on more expensive shields to escape the mob, while you are stuck doing +25 and -25 from 600-700 on.

As far as alliance communication, what mostly happens right now is the coordination is all about hopping off one another. What might happen post-changes is instead of hopping off one another, there will be more: "Hey, Player X is competing with me in my bracket, he's unshielded atm, everyone please hit him."

Again, these are only my personal opinions. Not speaking for the other people you've grouped together with me.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    No, if anything, this discourages hitsquads, since you only get 3 breaks every 8 hours, so breaking to snipe someone like that would ruin your timing
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Greetings,
    Some of the thinking behind this change:
      • "Shield hopping" is still possible but very limited. High-scoring is fun, but Shield hopping generally requires a large amount of out-of-game communication that not all players have access to. We asked ourselves this question: "Would you Shield hop if you didn't need to in order to reach a high score? If not, that's a sign that a change is probably needed."

Let's look at this question with commas added for clarifications. "Would you Shield hop, if you didn't need to, in order to reach a high score? If not, that's a sign that a change is probably needed."
    What the heck are you trying to say here? IF you don't shield hop to reach a high score, it is a problem?
    Are you saying the problem is, because some people score high, others don't have to shield hop to get a high score? Or are we talking about an achievement score? Because High Score means the top score and WINNING. The last time I checked, nobody has won a pvp match without shield hopping since I have been around.

If you guys, are asking yourself that question, than perhaps there is a logic gap at play I don't see or something is lost in translation. Or perhaps we are talking about achievement scores, but you mention later about possibly lowering those. I would love clarification.

I know you say later "This change helps level the playing field...<snip>.. Players will not need to worry about someone simply outspending them by using hundreds of Hero Points to Shield hop for a win."

So how exactly are these players who could not win before supposed to win now? Pure luck and grinding? You say the communication system is bad in MPQ and this offers players a competitive advantage. Why not, fix the communication issue instead?
    Truth be told, It only takes 4 players shield hoping on each other to drive up each scores in an effective upward point spiral. It does NOT require a large amount of out-of-game communication. THIS IS FACT. I have watched it. Now others taking advantage of those people shield hopping and gaining points, might be a different story. But we are talking about the people who WIN, not the people who just get a nice score... right?
    You are trying to eliminate competitive advantages gained by being in an alliance with good communication. So what exactly is the point in being in an alliance again? Why not eliminate alliances? Clearly that would reduce "coordinated" shield hopping.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    No, if anything, this discourages hitsquads, since you only get 3 breaks every 8 hours, so breaking to snipe someone like that would ruin your timing

Alliances with the theoretical better than most out of game communication can have snipers set up, to hit others and then purposely lose by retreating to assigned point gainers in their alliance to adjust points back to acceptable point value for optimal painful snipe range.
  • Spoit wrote:
    My reasoning is atm you can just use more hops to compete with your bracketmates, so sniping can be avoided. But if you're on cooldown then there is nothing you can do but request for sniping.

Limiting communication between alliance members seems counter-intuitive so I don't understand why they want to stop it, but this change will likely make it that much more important.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dauthi wrote:
    This could make the difference in time slices more extreme, if points created grows exponentially based on the amount of shield hoppers. The more there are, the easier it is to hop, creating incentive to hop or the idea to hop. Smoothing this major inequality could be their intention.
    If it is, then get rid of time slices in PvP. They're not necessary. I don't recall anyone EVER complaining "I can never do well in PvP because I can't grind during the last 2 hours"
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    In the end there are 2 issues.

1. The way wins and losses are counted in PvP.

2. Progression rewards

If they really were about fairness, they would have changed the 8hr shield to a 12 hr shield as an olive branch. Say or argue what you want, the end result is that 1300 was too easy to get for shield hoppers, but you can't increase the progression rewards for only a small slice of the community breaking the game, so what do you do? You make those that are doing it pay more for less, it's what the goverment does, it increases revenue in the short run. People won't be scoring 2.5K very often now and that's okay, but the real ugly truth is this.

4* are going to be increasing in frequency, and with how easy most alliances were getting the 4* covers at 1300 for a 2500HP cover that cost me maybe 500 HP is not something D3 likes, they want you to pay more for that, but how? Most players don't shield hop except for the top 1-5%, so lets just lower their potential to score high points and also make them pay a lot more to do so. That's it, nothing more
  • orbitalint
    orbitalint Posts: 511 Critical Contributor
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    If it is, then get rid of time slices in PvP. They're not necessary. I don't recall anyone EVER complaining "I can never do well in PvP because I can't grind during the last 2 hours"

Yes and no, I'm not an EU player but they were bleeding HP just to get decent placement because of the need for 8 hour shields instead of 3 hour particularly with the PVPs that ended early morning for them. I'd be upset too if to get top 100, I had to shield for 8 hours...it would definitely make me want to play less or even try to progress in the game.

Regardless, I agree that the "improved" shielding needs to be thought through more given time slices.
  • Orangecrush
    Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if coordinated hopping is the enemy, why don't you just make it so you cant attack your alliance members?
  • Unknown
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You.do not need an alliance to coordinate hops. As a top alliance make a deal with one that is not in direct competition for top places. Both parties profit from the point increase.

[EDIT]Spelling and removed hop assumption[/EDIT]
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    whitecat31 wrote:
    "David wrote:
    Moore"]Greetings,
    Some of the thinking behind this change:
      • "Shield hopping" is still possible but very limited. High-scoring is fun, but Shield hopping generally requires a large amount of out-of-game communication that not all players have access to. We asked ourselves this question: "Would you Shield hop if you didn't need to in order to reach a high score? If not, that's a sign that a change is probably needed."

Let's look at this question with commas added for clarifications. "Would you Shield hop, if you didn't need to, in order to reach a high score? If not, that's a sign that a change is probably needed."
    What the heck are you trying to say here? IF you don't shield hop to reach a high score, it is a problem?
    Are you saying the problem is, because some people score high, others don't have to shield hop to get a high score? Or are we talking about an achievement score? Because High Score means the top score and WINNING. The last time I checked, nobody has won a pvp match without shield hopping since I have been around.

If you guys, are asking yourself that question, than perhaps there is a logic gap at play I don't see or something is lost in translation. Or perhaps we are talking about achievement scores, but you mention later about possibly lowering those. I would love clarification.
    I've gotta say, I never did understand what this quote was trying to say. Sure people wouldn't throw away hp if their score could be obtained without using it, but the way the game works you have to shield to protect your score after being unshielded for just 5-10 minutes. They have played their own game right? Actually I don't even disagree with it, but "a change is probably needed" to the scoring system not to the shielding system. Make shields unnecessary to get higher scores, don't make them more necessary but harder to use. The change just doesn't make a whole lot of sense in light of the OP. It's also really saying something that no red name has been on here to offer a better explanation than the one that was given in the OP.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't know if this has been mentioned, but if coordinated hopping is the enemy, why don't you just make it so you cant attack your alliance members?
    Because people are coordinating with lots of people outside of their alliance, so it wouldn't make a difference if you couldn't attack your own alliance.
  • "David wrote:
    Moore"]Some of the thinking behind this change:
    The difference with this issue is it's not the same as having a god character, eg Sentry. Before, the question asked was could you win without Sentry? The answer was NO. You just couldn't consistently win a PVP without Sentry and sentry bombing. So a nerf was needed and delivered, (irregardless of whether he was over-nerfed or not).

So they asked the same thing about shield hopping. Can you win without shield hopping? Again no. But here's where they screwed up. This is high level game mechanics. Players are going to develop strategies around your system. If you take it to absurd extremes, you could ask, can you 'win' in MPQ without having an alliance, or even can you win without playing MPQ? It's clear that this is the wrong question. Even the question of "Was this intended?" is wrong, because people are going to find ways to combine characters that you never thought of.

The real question becomes, "Should we allow X?"

Should we allow players to get to 3000 in PVP with shield hopping?
    Should we allow players to dominate PVP with shield hopping against those who do not do absurd amounts of shield hopping?
    Should we allow so many players to easily get 1300 progression and 4* rewards?

The devs said no.

D3's media response is a little dishonest, but I can't fault them for the final decision.
  • Why are people still wasting their time arguing about the money motives of the developers? Logically, there are a ton of other ways to change the shield system to make a lot more money than this one. In fact, if we had people with stronger business acumens on the forum, they would tell you that this change will decrease shield revenue.

Why would a company want to cut revenue from a feature? To make a lot more revenue from other features. This is another move to to make the game attractive to the mass of players who do not score of 750, much less shield hop. The mass of players, who despite the thinking (or lack thereof) of some, actually funds this game. Sorry, to break it to those that spend $100 per month on this game. You could leave tomorrow. They do not care. You are not the type of customer generating their real income.

Regardless of the motivation for the change, it only matters whether the change is good or not. Saying the change is bad because it will increase/decrease sales is not going to persuade anyone that the change itself is not the best means to accomplish whatever their end is. Stop worrying about money. If you really care and really want to persuade them this change is bad you have to put real effort into and do like countless others in giving analysis and real reasons how this change is going to benefit or adversely affect game play.

If you do not care, then keep wasting space talking about money and sales.
  • daibar wrote:
    "David wrote:
    The difference with this issue is it's not the same as having a god character, eg Sentry. Before, the question asked was could you win without Sentry? The answer was NO. You just couldn't consistently win a PVP without Sentry and sentry bombing. So a nerf was needed and delivered, (irregardless of whether he was over-nerfed or not).

So they asked the same thing about shield hopping. Can you win without shield hopping? Again no. But here's where they screwed up. This is high level game mechanics. Players are going to develop strategies around your system. If you take it to absurd extremes, you could ask, can you 'win' in MPQ without having an alliance, or even can you win without playing MPQ? It's clear that this is the wrong question. Even the question of "Was this intended?" is wrong, because people are going to find ways to combine characters that you never thought of.

Should we allow players to dominate PVP with shield hopping against those who do not do absurd amounts of shield hopping?

The devs said no.

D3's media response is a little dishonest, but I can't fault them for the final decision.
    I don't really agree. Shield-hopping is like gold farming, it's the part of the game you hate that you do to get to the part of the game you like.

Yes, players will figure out how the system works. But when the winning strategy isn't "fun" (prologue healing, shield hopping) it makes perfect sense for the devs to try to address that.

And yes, there are som players who DO enjoy the thrill of shield-hopping, and I think d3p is at least attempting to leave something in there for them too

Whether any of this succeeds or is a huge boondoggle remains to be seen, but "are players being 'forced' to do things they don't like in order to get anywhere in the game" is EXACTLY the type of question the devs should constantly be asking
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Another testimonial against shield cool-downs:
    I was out trying to do Christmas shopping Sunday while also pushing for 1300 in First Avenger. My opportunities for play were very unscheduled and unpredictable, but it didn't take away my desire to play during the 10 minute windows while driving between stores (with someone else behind the wheel, natch). Some of these gaps were 45 minutes, others were 90, and I had no means of predicting when they would next become available.

These weren't coordinated ladders (in fact I got team-hit during one of the ladders by someone rushing and not reading names).

I would have loved to manufacture a window of time to play for 60 uninterrupted minutes, but that was just not in the cards for me Sunday. Shielding used to allow me to make incremental progress despite having other foo going on in my life. Hopefully cooldowns don't completely take that away. (we keep saying it would be nice to have game mechanics that promote better game/life balance - there were cases where shields did actually help, rather than hinder, that.)
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Why are people still wasting their time arguing about the money motives of the developers? Logically, there are a ton of other ways to change the shield system to make a lot more money than this one. In fact, if we had people with stronger business acumens on the forum, they would tell you that this change will decrease shield revenue.

Why would a company want to cut revenue from a feature? To make a lot more revenue from other features. This is another move to to make the game attractive to the mass of players who do not score of 750, much less shield hop. The mass of players, who despite the thinking (or lack thereof) of some, actually funds this game. Sorry, to break it to those that spend $100 per month on this game. You could leave tomorrow. They do not care. You are not the type of customer generating their real income.

Regardless of the motivation for the change, it only matters whether the change is good or not. Saying the change is bad because it will increase/decrease sales is not going to persuade anyone that the change itself is not the best means to accomplish whatever their end is. Stop worrying about money. If you really care and really want to persuade them this change is bad you have to put real effort into and do like countless others in giving analysis and real reasons how this change is going to benefit or adversely affect game play.

If you do not care, then keep wasting space talking about money and sales.

Well I do have a very expensive Master's degree on my wall that states I understand business quite well. It' the mobile gaming model. You offer a product and intice players, some will even drop a buck or two, but there are the Whales or the small percent that fund a vast majority of the game, those are the one you need to keep on the hook for as long as possible as they are your major revenue source, but if they begin to impede the other source of income (the begining to mid level players) well then adjustments need to be made because for every Whale they may lose due to this change they gain 2-3 more, that's how it works. Older players with developed rosters are not a major source of revenue except for new characters which they have an advantage of getting because of their vast roster and understanding of the game. So when the established players are able to reliable obtain rewards that D3 really doesn't want you getting that easy or cheaply they are going to tax it or increase the cost to deter some demand. It is a business choice, because if it really was about players just Shield hopping to increase their score for the sake of the alliance or something else, than a much less controversial solution could have been made. They say it will be evaluated and changed if need be, in other words, we are going to monitor revenues and if it causes a decrease instead of the increase they are hoping, they will say it isn't working and revert back to the original form, which is why I emphasize to the top players and alliances, quit spending and pushing so hard and it will go back to what it was.
  • FaustianDeal
    FaustianDeal Posts: 760 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    They say it will be evaluated and changed if need be, in other words, we are going to monitor revenues and if it causes a decrease instead of the increase they are hoping, they will say it isn't working and revert back to the original form, which is why I emphasize to the top players and alliances, quit spending and pushing so hard and it will go back to what it was.

I think the revenue stream they are most concerned with protecting is the flow of 4-star covers. The point inflation that was happening in PVP was causing far too many 4-star covers to sneak out the door as progression prizes. Shield revenue is something they are going to be monitoring, but I'm certain that cover sales of 4-stars is where they are hoping to (more than) make up for anything they lose in shield revenue.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The more I think about it, the less 8 hours makes sense. Even if their ideal implementation is putting down an 8 hour, you have to be around to be able to put up another one at the exact 5-10 minute window it breaks, (or use a 24 hour one), otherwise you'll drop like a stone.

simonsez wrote:
    Dauthi wrote:
    This could make the difference in time slices more extreme, if points created grows exponentially based on the amount of shield hoppers. The more there are, the easier it is to hop, creating incentive to hop or the idea to hop. Smoothing this major inequality could be their intention.

You weren't around before shield then, eh?
  • mohio
    mohio Posts: 1,690 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    gamar wrote:
    daibar wrote:
    "David wrote:

The devs said no.

I don't really agree. Shield-hopping is like gold farming, it's the part of the game you hate that you do to get to the part of the game you like.

Yes, players will figure out how the system works. But when the winning strategy isn't "fun" (prologue healing, shield hopping) it makes perfect sense for the devs to try to address that.

And yes, there are som players who DO enjoy the thrill of shield-hopping, and I think d3p is at least attempting to leave something in there for them too

Whether any of this succeeds or is a huge boondoggle remains to be seen, but "are players being 'forced' to do things they don't like in order to get anywhere in the game" is EXACTLY the type of question the devs should constantly be asking
    Gamar, I totally agree with you, but the proposed change to shields is not going to fix the problem. We are "forced" to shield because being over 900 points paints a pretty big target on your back and the higher your score the bigger the target gets. So we stop playing and shield because continuing to play will do nothing but lose us points. The only way to get more points at this point (outside of defensive wins we have no control over) is to shield hop. So that's what people do, either to reach progressions, or to come in 1st, or even just to see how many points they can put up. I cannot emphasize this enough - at the top end of pvp events, there is simply no other way to play the game.

Does making a shield cool down timer fix this? You're kidding yourself if you think it does. There will still be some point value above which you cannot hope to gain ground on the people attacking you, so you must shield if you want to keep your score. As always people will want to score more so they are going to shield hop. Only now they have to put the game down for a long time and come back later to do their shield hop, when it might be inconvenient for them. I don't understand how this system is any better than the current one. If they really want to limit the influence of shield hopping, then they need to figure out how to make it so we can keep playing above 900 points (or whatever the new limit will be) without losing more points than we could possibly win in such a short amount of time.