Planned Updates To Shields - New Start Date

Options

Comments

• Enoc99
    Enoc99 Posts: 141
    Options
    Personally, I feel that the shield hopping is a use of game mechanics that the game designers had not intended and do not desire the use of. It seems that this change is an attempt to limit the benefit of shield hopping rather than eliminating it entirely.

I know it was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I feel that shield hopping should be rendered a noneffective strategy so as to be fair across the board. Shields are good so you can lock in your score for as long as you want for a HP cost. I feel that the best way to kill shield hopping would be as follows:
    If you break your shield before its duration expires, you have a 15 minute "recovery" time period before which you can shield again. 15 minutes is enough time to be able to get in a few games, and allows you to still play on your own schedule. The benefit is that being unshielded for 15 minutes prevents you from being invulnerable to point loss from players below you, which will prevent the ludicrously high scores we have seen as of recent.

Once shield hopping were rendered noneffective, then the progression rewards should be lowered. I would think around 1000 points could be the top progression point, as I feel that would be difficult but still achievable by max 3* players in a world without shield hopping.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Why are people still wasting their time arguing about the money motives of the developers? Logically, there are a ton of other ways to change the shield system to make a lot more money than this one. In fact, if we had people with stronger business acumens on the forum, they would tell you that this change will decrease shield revenue.

Why would a company want to cut revenue from a feature? To make a lot more revenue from other features. This is another move to to make the game attractive to the mass of players who do not score of 750, much less shield hop. The mass of players, who despite the thinking (or lack thereof) of some, actually funds this game. Sorry, to break it to those that spend $100 per month on this game. You could leave tomorrow. They do not care. You are not the type of customer generating their real income.

Regardless of the motivation for the change, it only matters whether the change is good or not. Saying the change is bad because it will increase/decrease sales is not going to persuade anyone that the change itself is not the best means to accomplish whatever their end is. Stop worrying about money. If you really care and really want to persuade them this change is bad you have to put real effort into and do like countless others in giving analysis and real reasons how this change is going to benefit or adversely affect game play.

If you do not care, then keep wasting space talking about money and sales.

Well I do have a very expensive Master's degree on my wall that states I understand business quite well. It' the mobile gaming model. You offer a product and intice players, some will even drop a buck or two, but there are the Whales or the small percent that fund a vast majority of the game, those are the one you need to keep on the hook for as long as possible as they are your major revenue source, but if they begin to impede the other source of income (the begining to mid level players) well then adjustments need to be made because for every Whale they may lose due to this change they gain 2-3 more, that's how it works. Older players with developed rosters are not a major source of revenue except for new characters which they have an advantage of getting because of their vast roster and understanding of the game. So when the established players are able to reliable obtain rewards that D3 really doesn't want you getting that easy or cheaply they are going to tax it or increase the cost to deter some demand. It is a business choice, because if it really was about players just Shield hopping to increase their score for the sake of the alliance or something else, than a much less controversial solution could have been made. They say it will be evaluated and changed if need be, in other words, we are going to monitor revenues and if it causes a decrease instead of the increase they are hoping, they will say it isn't working and revert back to the original form, which is why I emphasize to the top players and alliances, quit spending and pushing so hard and it will go back to what it was.

You are mostly correct. It depends on how you define whale. Some people think they are whales because they spend more than most others, but in reality spend significantly less on a monthly basis than the top spenders. If you were generous, I think you could say 50% of total revenue comes from genuine whales. Obviously, we have not seen MPQ finances, but based on what has been reported for other "free" games in the past, 50% is usually in the ball park.

However, sometimes businesses have to make short-term decisions for the long-term health of the product. McDonalds could have kept selling Super Size, but it was getting bad press. It cost money in the short-term for long-term health of the brand. I would argue that shield-hopping and grinding 2.5 hour refreshes is not good for the long term health of the game. I think MPQ is doing what the players need instead of what they want. We can say what we will about newer players and transitioning rosters, but the truth is without them, all you have is one big death bracket. Moreover like you said when a whale leaves, there is no one to take their place.

More to the point, this all assumes that the finance people are the ones pushing for the change. From everything I have read since shields came out, it seems that the game designers are the ones pushing for the change due to the system is not working as they intended. It's funny, everyone kept saying that the true healing change was to promote health packs sales. As far as I know, that has not happened (at least not per the people I've spoken with). I genuinely believe that this is not a money driven move (at least no as far as shield sales go, I think it is to keep people from quitting in disgust). I think after the change people will still hit the progressives. If not, I can tell you for one, I'm holding MPQ to it until they lower them where we can still hit them.

My problem with it is I do not think their design of cool downs meets the objectives that they have set and will cause problems they have not anticipated. My concern is that from their point of view they do not care about our opinions of their finances or financial strategy, so it makes little sense to continue to argue about whether shield revenue will increase or decrease from the change. If we honestly want them to not make the mistake (that most of us seem to believe they are making), our best strategy is to explain to them how in practice (as opposed to their theory of gaming) why they are wrong. Those are the arguments that have the best chance of getting their attention and contemplation (or laughs I suppose). Those are the things we should be discussing and pushing. I'm saying our view of the money/finances/shield sales arguments are irrelevant from their perspective. If for no other reasons than typically such arguments are emotive, as opposed to the countless analytical arguments made on behalf of the why this idea will not work and is bad for the way the game is really played.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Why are people still wasting their time arguing about the money motives of the developers? Logically, there are a ton of other ways to change the shield system to make a lot more money than this one. In fact, if we had people with stronger business acumens on the forum, they would tell you that this change will decrease shield revenue.

Why would a company want to cut revenue from a feature? To make a lot more revenue from other features. This is another move to to make the game attractive to the mass of players who do not score of 750, much less shield hop. The mass of players, who despite the thinking (or lack thereof) of some, actually funds this game. Sorry, to break it to those that spend $100 per month on this game. You could leave tomorrow. They do not care. You are not the type of customer generating their real income.

Regardless of the motivation for the change, it only matters whether the change is good or not. Saying the change is bad because it will increase/decrease sales is not going to persuade anyone that the change itself is not the best means to accomplish whatever their end is. Stop worrying about money. If you really care and really want to persuade them this change is bad you have to put real effort into and do like countless others in giving analysis and real reasons how this change is going to benefit or adversely affect game play.

If you do not care, then keep wasting space talking about money and sales.

Well I do have a very expensive Master's degree on my wall that states I understand business quite well. It' the mobile gaming model. You offer a product and intice players, some will even drop a buck or two, but there are the Whales or the small percent that fund a vast majority of the game, those are the one you need to keep on the hook for as long as possible as they are your major revenue source, but if they begin to impede the other source of income (the begining to mid level players) well then adjustments need to be made because for every Whale they may lose due to this change they gain 2-3 more, that's how it works. Older players with developed rosters are not a major source of revenue except for new characters which they have an advantage of getting because of their vast roster and understanding of the game. So when the established players are able to reliable obtain rewards that D3 really doesn't want you getting that easy or cheaply they are going to tax it or increase the cost to deter some demand. It is a business choice, because if it really was about players just Shield hopping to increase their score for the sake of the alliance or something else, than a much less controversial solution could have been made. They say it will be evaluated and changed if need be, in other words, we are going to monitor revenues and if it causes a decrease instead of the increase they are hoping, they will say it isn't working and revert back to the original form, which is why I emphasize to the top players and alliances, quit spending and pushing so hard and it will go back to what it was.

You are mostly correct. It depends on how you define whale. Some people think they are whales because they spend more than most others, but in reality spend significantly less on a monthly basis than the top spenders. If you were generous, I think you could say 50% of total revenue comes from genuine whales. Obviously, we have not seen MPQ finances, but based on what has been reported for other "free" games in the past, 50% is usually in the ball park.

However, sometimes businesses have to make short-term decisions for the long-term health of the product. McDonalds could have kept selling Super Size, but it was getting bad press. It cost money in the short-term for long-term health of the brand. I would argue that shield-hopping and grinding 2.5 hour refreshes is not good for the long term health of the game. I think MPQ is doing what the players need instead of what they want. We can say what we will about newer players and transitioning rosters, but the truth is without them, all you have is one big death bracket. Moreover like you said when a whale leaves, there is no one to take their place.

More to the point, this all assumes that the finance people are the ones pushing for the change. From everything I have read since shields came out, it seems that the game designers are the ones pushing for the change due to the system is not working as they intended. It's funny, everyone kept saying that the true healing change was to promote health packs sales. As far as I know, that has not happened (at least not per the people I've spoken with). I genuinely believe that this is not a money driven move (at least no as far as shield sales go, I think it is to keep people from quitting in disgust). I think after the change people will still hit the progressives. If not, I can tell you for one, I'm holding MPQ to it until they lower them where we can still hit them.

My problem with it is I do not think their design of cool downs meets the objectives that they have set and will cause problems they have not anticipated. My concern is that from their point of view they do not care about our opinions of their finances or financial strategy, so it makes little sense to continue to argue about whether shield revenue will increase or decrease from the change. If we honestly want them to not make the mistake (that most of us seem to believe they are making), our best strategy is to explain to them how in practice (as opposed to their theory of gaming) why they are wrong. Those are the arguments that have the best chance of getting their attention and contemplation (or laughs I suppose). Those are the things we should be discussing and pushing. I'm saying our view of the money/finances/shield sales arguments are irrelevant from their perspective. If for no other reasons than typically such arguments are emotive, as opposed to the countless analytical arguments made on behalf of the why this idea will not work and is bad for the way the game is really played.
    I see very few posts if any saying that this change will increase overall revenue from shields. People have been saying this will make the game more P2W - since shields are more expensive, fewer people will be able to afford them, which increases the advantage of using them. People have been saying they want to limit shield hopping to reduce the outflow of 4* covers - again, a financial reason that does not inform on revenue from shields.

If the underlying reason is truly that too many people are getting the 4* cover at a discount, then I think you will be "holding MPQ to it" for a very long time.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    You weren't around before shield then, eh?
    Enjoy contriving irrelevant contradictions, eh?
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    People do things from 3 primary reasons or slight variations on them, they are sex, money, power/control. If you ever wondering why some people do the odd things they do it's 99 times out of 100 for one of those reasons. I do not think they did this to drive shield sales, I 100% think they did this to reduce progression achievements because a vast majority of their revenue are from token sales and cover purchases and by reducing the chance of getting a 4* cover at a very discounted shield hop price they will potentially increase sales of cover purchases, trust me they want you to get 1 of each color cover for a character because now you start thinking about purchasing covers. Trust me, I don't envy them, it's hard to please everyone and to strike a balance in this game between the grinders and the P2W PvPers is hard. PvE has become terrible because it's all about the grinders, I'm sure people have even created apps to play for them while they are gone (buddies of mine did that for the Star Wars game) but PvP is just as bad when people just out spend you for the win, but I for one would rather lose to someone outspending me then for someone just playing non-stop, because for the most part people spending $ will slow at a certain point, people just grinding never stop and you have no chance against them.
  • Anecdotal evidence here. Was unshielded with 4 hours to go thinking I'd do a few rounds and better my 78th place rank. Instead I lost 182 points in 20 minutes and gave up.
    This makes playing PvP and working to get in top 100 useless when unshielded for a short amount of time can drop you the equivalent of 9 wins. Seems to me before time shards things weren't near as bad for a 2-3* transitioner, I may just give up on PvP outside of lightning rounds for a while. So whatever changes are made, I hope I can play without going from top 100 to 300th place in such a short amount of time. I mean really what is the point of all the rounds I won?
  • bknfoodie
    Options
    x-posting http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20506

I invite everyone here to contribute to this discussion. Hopefully we can help start a movement for a sweeping change for the better and make pvp fun again
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    If someone else has suggested this, I apologize. 19 pages is a lot to sift through.

What if players were just given a set amount of time they could be shielded. 8, 12 or 24 hours, I'm not sure the best amount. You could use the amount to be able to sleep the night before, and if you have any remaining, you could hop once or twice. You could use it to hop and hop and hop, and hope you've saved enough toward the end. I think that would 'level the playing field.'
  • Demiurge_Will
    Demiurge_Will Posts: 346 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This is Will over at Demiurge. Thanks for all the feedback.

We had hoped to make this change during the off-season, before Season IX, but we couldn't get the latest update through first-party certification in time. We initially made the decision to get this change into the game as soon as possible because the negative feedback about the very high scores that repeated shield use allows was so strong.

But we're hearing that you'd rather not have this change land in the middle of a season, so we've decided not to introduce shield cooldowns until the end of this season. The off-season events between Season IX and X will be their first appearance, to give you a chance to play with them and work out new strategies before the start of the next season. (This will mean we wait a couple of additional events before recalibrating the progression rewards, since the off-season events often have unusual scoring patterns.)

I also wanted to respond to some of the questions & concerns you've raised.

* Some folks have asked why the cooldown on the 3 hour shield is 8 hours instead of 3 (or less). A cooldown that short would mean that the best way to get the most shields for the fewest Hero Points is to come back and play every 3 (or less) hours, through the night. That's not an ideal situation.

* Some suggestions involve getting rid of shields or the reasons why they exist. Our aim isn't to get rid of shields - the experience of breaking a shield, biting your nails as you beat a fight as fast as you can, and deciding whether to dare go for another win or shield up is the source of the best adrenaline rush in MPQ for many folks. The thing we're putting a lid on is the number of points that can come from using shields over and over. We still expect that players that use shields well will have an advantage over those who don't - but we're aiming for things to be more about the strategy of when to break a shield, when to re-shield, and how long to stay vulnerable, instead of the top of the leaderboards being decided by the raw number of shields you're willing to use.

* Sorry for the ambiguity of the term "shield hopping" in the original post. Different folks here on the forums, and even different folks on the Marvel Puzzle Quest team, mean different things by it. The kind of thing I think of when I hear the term doesn't rely on any out-of-game communication - for other folks, it brings to mind the strategies that have let players break 3000 points, which do require coordination. We shouldn't have used the term in the announcement; sorry about that.

* I've heard some questions in the thread about how this change will interact with the ability to choose your end time. Folks are concerned that, depending on the end time, the number of high-scoring players around makes it easier or harder to score points. While some end times tend to have much higher top scores than others, the differences in how hard it is to earn points are pretty modest for most players. The difference in scores at the top of the leaderboards is mostly from a greater proportion of high-scoring players choosing particular end times. I want to share with you some of the data that shows that.

One of the ways to measure the difficulty of getting a particular score is how many battles it takes to get there. Here are the average number of battles that people fought to end a recent event with particular scores, arranged in order of end time:

600-700: 35 / 33 / 32 / 32 / 33
    700-800: 37 / 35 / 35 / 36 / 35
    800-900: 38 / 41 / 37 / 37 / 37

From here on out the sample sizes can get small, and bounce around a lot depending on what event you're looking at. We also start to see a difference in the makeup of the players reaching these scores - in the last end time, the top scorers are significantly better coordinated, with better teams, allowing them to get to the top in fewer battles and stay there.

900-1000: 43 / 42 / 43 / 40 / 37
    1000-1100: 47 / 46 / 42 / 45 / 40
    1100-1200: 46 / 51 / 43 / 48 / 39
    1200-1300: 50 / 65 / 40 / 55 / 48

Note that people are getting better progression rewards than these numbers might indicate for fighting this many matches - this is the score players ended with, not their peak score.

The average scores for each of the end times:

348 / 358 / 355 / 356 / 333

and the average score required to break the top 5:

951 / 864 / 1057 / 1050 / 1249

Much higher top scores in that last end time (though the average is lower due to people joining close to the end of the event), but not until somewhere around the 950-1000 mark do we see a difference in how many battles it takes to get a particular score. It's possible that picking the right end time could be helpful to the highest scorers in the most competitive alliances (it's hard to control for their other advantages enough to be sure), but it's not making a difference outside of the top ~10 alliances.

* To restate something that was in the announcement: the proportion of people reaching various progression rewards in Versus is about right currently, and if it's necessary to change the point at which rewards are given out to keep that the same (there are good odds it will be, but it's impossible to predict exactly how behavior will change as a result of cooldowns), we plan to do that.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Just want to say thanks for a very informative post Will, and I hope we can get more data-driven feedback like this for other changes that have been or will be made.
  • Lidolas
    Lidolas Posts: 500
    Options
    Thanks Will for the response. It's nice to know you guys are listening (reading)

I have a question for the general population. Why is making changes mid-season such a terrible thing? I don't understand the push back on this issue.
    But we're hearing that you'd rather not have this change land in the middle of a season, so we've decided not to introduce shield cooldowns until the end of this season. The off-season events between Season IX and X will be their first appearance, to give you a chance to play with them and work out new strategies before the start of the next season. (This will mean we wait a couple of additional events before recalibrating the progression rewards, since the off-season events often have unusual scoring patterns.)
  • Just want to say thanks for a very informative post Will, and I hope we can get more data-driven feedback like this for other changes that have been or will be made.

This.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Will while you're here, have you heard the discussion about why 8 hours might not be the best cooldown?

Even if you're planning to "sleep through the night" with it, an 8 hour cooldown on an 8 hour shield means that you have to either be around right on the dot for the expiration, or it actually encourages doing a double hop (which is still way cheaper than a 24 hour shield
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Lidolas wrote:
    Thanks Will for the response. It's nice to know you guys are listening (reading)

I have a question for the general population. Why is making changes mid-season such a terrible thing? I don't understand the push back on this issue.

Lidolas, some forum members have complained that a change in shields will be unfair to season scores. It is likely that the shield change will result in overall drop in pvp scores. If that is the case, then those who have used the shields extensively in the past pvp will have gained an advantage..some may say that they have an insurmountable lead. It's like a 100 meter race where some starts at 0 m whereas other starts at 50m.

D3 probably agrees with this so they are waiting after the seasons end. At least the rules are consistent within the season pvp.
  • This is Will over at Demiurge. Thanks for all the feedback.

* Some folks have asked why the cooldown on the 3 hour shield is 8 hours instead of 3 (or less). A cooldown that short would mean that the best way to get the most shields for the fewest Hero Points is to come back and play every 3 (or less) hours, through the night. That's not an ideal situation.

Say what now?

2 3 hr shields = 75 + 75 HP = 150 HP for 6 hrs.
    1 8 hr shield = 150 HP for 8 hrs.

8 3hr shields = 75 * 8 = 600 HP for 24 hrs.
    3 8hr shields = 150*3 = 450 HP for 24 hrs.
    1 24hr shield = 300 HP for 24 hrs.

Unless my reading comprehension suddenly took a nose dive I don't think you mean what you stated. Care to rephrase?
  • Lystrata
    Lystrata Posts: 322 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Thanks for the reply/acknowledgement. It's particularly nice to see you listened re: when this should be implemented, and will let people experiment with it in the off-season first. Kudos.

I am, however, concerned about your reasoning re: 3 hour shield cool downs. This is PvP... not PvE. The vast majority of players are not going to use 3-hour shields to shield hop their way 'through the night'. That's just... bizarre.

Making the 3-hour shield have an 8-hour cool down is going to have a drastically more troublesome effect on your casual/semi-hardcore players, than on the top 1% who shield hop. I really cannot fathom why you'd do this to the player base. icon_e_confused.gif
  • GothicKratos
    GothicKratos Posts: 1,821 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thanks for the replies to both HiFi and Will. I appreciate it.
  • Guess I better use up my 40k+ hero coins because if this goes thru and into play for Season 10... Season 9 will be my last. Bummer.
  • I don't think the average number of games played to hit a certain point is a very useful metric unless it's the average number of games without shields. I'm pretty sure without shields the number of games is something pretty close to infinity to hit 1300 in the early time slices. It'd be more useful to know the average number of HP spent in shields to reach certain milestones as that'd provide a better picture.
  • Lidolas wrote:

Because even for someone who doesn't care about seasons at all, it's pretty stupid to have an event that changes rules halfway as that renders the entire competition meaningless. If a bunch of guys decided to have a game to see who can hit their head on the wall hardest and it's an ongoing competition, you don't just remove the wall halfway.