Planned Updates To Shields - New Start Date

Options

Comments

• Another thing to think about...

This isn't going to stop outside of game communication. It will simply increase.

I have an idea that I'm mapping out to continue shield hopping, but will take pretty much most of the top alliances to communicate, and hops to be on large scale. This is totally possible, and, in my opinion, a nice way to say "nu Uh" to the devs trying to be our parents. Lol.

Why on earth is one of the justifications "outside game communication" as if that's a bad thing.

So, like oph, but bigger, and more permanent.
    Related to that, outside communication will probably place more emphasis on sniping competitors. I've noticed with time-sharding in shards with fewer points that players have specifically requested help knocking down someone competing with them for placement rewards. In the past, players would mostly try to push to increase their own score because points were available. But with points at a premium, especially in the higher scoring range, the people at the top are targeted more by the entire pool so they can't hop as much and must instead try to knock down the guy fighting for that reward. I only see that increasing if this shield-nerf goes through because points will be even harder to come by.

My idea is going to be the opposite of that. I'm going to get us hopping together on mass scale, to whatever score we all care to get. Snipers get targeted by the group as a whole, blah blah blah. Utopia of outside comms and high scores.... Just because we can.

Plus, good scores come not from the expense of others. Win/win
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wymtime wrote:
    locked wrote:
    Whew, finally read the thread. Sorry if my suggestion is dumb for some very basic reasons. Here it is.
    Shields are very convenient to protect one's score and to allow for some life. That was their intended purpose after all.
    How about we don't nerf shields but the hopping instead? If one breaks shield in anything but the last 10 minutes of it, they are subject to a point decrease multiplier a la point refresh stacks in PvE. Moreover, the decrease periods should stack leading to less and less effective point gains. This way players can still use as many shields as they wish and break whenever they wish but they would just penalize themselves for attempting to get ahead through tons of shieldhops and people that more or less play normally (only shield when they have to go, run out of healthpacks, etc.) will be ahead instead since they will be getting normal point gains instead of +5 or +7 per hop.
    Of course having more versatile shields would help as well. Maybe change the 3 hr to 3-4, add a 5-6 hr shield, change the 8 hr to 8-10, add a 12-15 hr shield. Definitely needs more variety and will encourage better planning and not obsessing over scores (I would hope).
    Thoughts? Flames?

Post-disclaimer: I do shieldhops but only out of necessity and not enjoyment. I hope there are other ways introduced to compete besides ranks and scores, new exciting modes, since excellent competitive players like reckless, Daveomite and many others I have come to know through the forums deserve to have a fun outlet for their desire to prove themselves in their favourite game and to knock themselves out if they wish so.

So I will look at this idea from the point of view that we want to stop extreme shield hopping and have scores be closer to the progression totals. If we penalize someone for breaking a shield early, let's say 15 points per match hoppers instead of generating 50 points per match per hop will get 35 unless they wait till their shield is about to expire, or fully expires. If people are only making 2 matches per hop you will bring scores down, but will not stop people from hopping and have people being PTW by just hopping more and out spending other players. Your idea will lower scores but will not really address the issue of PTW.
    I still think the best 2 options are set the number of shields a player can use in one PVP. It might be 3 it might be 5. This way players can only spend so much on shields to win.
    Number 2 option is to just put a short CD between shields. Once you break shield you cannot shield again for 15-20 min. No flipping between 8 he shield and 3 hr shield it is just you break shield and you cannot shield again for 15-20 min. Ideally this should be time you are playing. The issue with this option is at high scores if you are exposed for 10 min your team will get hit for more points than you win. This is where the Devs would have to put something in place to allow people to climb but not lose a mass of points at the same time.
    I will say I do shield hop as well, I might not hop to 1300 very often but I have. This is a tough issue to tackle for D3. It needs to be addressed but it seems that every idea is still wrong.
    Option 2 is ridiculously naive. Even at super modest scores (like even sub 1.3k), being unshielded for 10 minutes is AT LEAST -100 points, depending on how long you were out, could easily be closer to -200
  • ShanePHallam
    ShanePHallam Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    As a transitioning player, I def. welcome a change like this. I don't have the cash to consistently shield hop nor to experiment and do it. It'd be nice to have a crack at lowering some high point guys and stay competitive without it.
  • As a transitioning player, I def. welcome a change like this. I don't have the cash to consistently shield hop nor to experiment and do it. It'd be nice to have a crack at lowering some high point guys and stay competitive without it.

That will not make anyone who isn't competitive now any more competitive. Let's say top guys stay around 600-1000 points. Every time your score hits the 600 mark, you'll be beaten back to 300 in minutes. The high point guys don't hit you often from 1300+, because you're only worth 1 point to them.

You're actually going to be getting less progression rewards. Everyone will.
  • ShanePHallam
    ShanePHallam Posts: 94 Match Maker
    Options
    As a transitioning player, I def. welcome a change like this. I don't have the cash to consistently shield hop nor to experiment and do it. It'd be nice to have a crack at lowering some high point guys and stay competitive without it.

That will not make anyone who isn't competitive now any more competitive. Let's say top guys stay around 600-1000 points. Every time your score hits the 600 mark, you'll be beaten back to 300 in minutes. The high point guys don't hit you often from 1300+, because you're only worth 1 point to them.

They've mentioned potentially changing progression rewards. How does changing shields change how I'm beaten back down? Is everyone going to be sitting on the game for 8 hours during their cool down period? I doubt it. MMR needs some changing/updating to coincide with this, but it is a start to level the playing field a little. And if people want to shield hop/spend to do it, they can, just costs some more.
  • As a transitioning player, I def. welcome a change like this. I don't have the cash to consistently shield hop nor to experiment and do it. It'd be nice to have a crack at lowering some high point guys and stay competitive without it.

They've mentioned potentially changing progression rewards. How does changing shields change how I'm beaten back down? Is everyone going to be sitting on the game for 8 hours during their cool down period? I doubt it. MMR needs some changing/updating to coincide with this, but it is a start to level the playing field a little. And if people want to shield hop/spend to do it, they can, just costs some more.

You're assuming people will sit through the cool down. If you aren't buying shields, the hammer comes down earlier than now. The scale changes, not the player placement.

The point is, transitioning players are going to suffer more, and transitioning will take longer. Shield hopping puts a point buffer between the top guys and transition players. This means transition players get picked on less. Take that away, and good luck to those who's roster is less than the next. If I'm going into a sea of people to fight, I'm picking the ones that I can take out the fastest, so I gather more points during my now less chances to score. The little rosters lose out. A lot.

You are right in that they mentioned "possibly" changing progression rewards. They will most likely watch a few pvp events with this nerf in effect to gather information so IF they decide to change progression rewards it will happen in 2-3 months at the EARLIEST. Until then you WILL be beaten back down. Jameson2014 is correct in that currently shield hopping does put a point buffer between high end players and everyone else. Once the nerf happens these high end players who used to spend money to buy hp for shields to shield hop will most likely not buy anymore hp and only use shields when they are not going to actively attack. This means that they will no longer have a point buffer so you will not only see 166 walls at a lower point range but you will also be attacked very often since you will be worth more points to them. You are correct in saying that MMR needs changing/updating but how will the devs be able to magically fix/update MMR to level the playing field when they have been trying for such a long time though MMR is STILL BROKEN?
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The 166 wall is more a matter of the MMR, more than the point distribution. Even in the depressed scores of desert brackets, it's still around 600
  • Ducky
    Ducky Posts: 2,255 Community Moderator
    Options
    In regards to the outside the game communication aspect: isn't that something that they would want as it would increase the chances that their game is introduced to new people?
  • rbdragon
    rbdragon Posts: 479 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    It was mentioned in this (or a different) thread that shields were made to allow the user to step away from the game without being hit. If this is true, then there's an easy solution to remove shield-hopping: make shields free.

Okay, before you down-vote this (and at risk of making my previous post sound bad since perhaps it came from someone clearly out of his mind), here me out a bit...

IF shields were created strictly to give users a break, then once you click a shield (no timer necessary), it should take you immediately out of the tournament screen. Once you click the tournament to go back in and play again, a prompt would remind you that your shield will be broken if you enter, where you click enter or cancel.

But won't this just make shield-hopping easier and cheaper?
    Well no, because you can't shield and then set up your queues for when you're ready to unshield since you are removed from the screen.

But can't we just set up our queues before we play our last match and then shield - this way we have two set up still after we play the 3rd node?
    Hmmm...good point - guess we'll have to clear the queue when you shield as well, thus ensuring you a fresh queue when you re-enter.

But that sucks! What if you're queue is filled with all low-point players, since matchmaking is based on MMR?
    Another good point Devil's Advocate Me...guess our queue needs to go by points as well as MMR - something like you cannot see players with less than x points below you, or y points above you....with the least a match is worth being 15, and the most being 50 (once y = 50 pt match, you don't see players above that, which keeps new entries from seeing 1500 pt players).

But shields make D3 a lot of coin...
    Not my problem...if they value fairness, this could be an option maybe....besides, they can get much MUCH more cash from us if they would introduce skins or some other fun aspect of the game that is missing...

I don't know if this is a good idea or a horrible idea - just a different one.....at least I think it's different...if someone else suggested it, my bad...
  • Yes this idea would work and I think it is quite elegant in its simplicity. The main problem with shields is the possibility to interact with the PvP (lining up high point targets) even though you are invulnerable.
  • rbdragon wrote:
    It was mentioned in this (or a different) thread that shields were made to allow the user to step away from the game without being hit. If this is true, then there's an easy solution to remove shield-hopping: make shields free.

Okay, before you down-vote this (and at risk of making my previous post sound bad since perhaps it came from someone clearly out of his mind), here me out a bit...

IF shields were created strictly to give users a break, then once you click a shield (no timer necessary), it should take you immediately out of the tournament screen. Once you click the tournament to go back in and play again, a prompt would remind you that your shield will be broken if you enter, where you click enter or cancel.

But won't this just make shield-hopping easier and cheaper?
    Well no, because you can't shield and then set up your queues for when you're ready to unshield since you are removed from the screen.

But can't we just set up our queues before we play our last match and then shield - this way we have two set up still after we play the 3rd node?
    Hmmm...good point - guess we'll have to clear the queue when you shield as well, thus ensuring you a fresh queue when you re-enter.

But that sucks! What if you're queue is filled with all low-point players, since matchmaking is based on MMR?
    Another good point Devil's Advocate Me...guess our queue needs to go by points as well as MMR - something like you cannot see players with less than x points below you, or y points above you....with the least a match is worth being 15, and the most being 50 (once y = 50 pt match, you don't see players above that, which keeps new entries from seeing 1500 pt players).

But shields make D3 a lot of coin...
    Not my problem...if they value fairness, this could be an option maybe....besides, they can get much MUCH more cash from us if they would introduce skins or some other fun aspect of the game that is missing...

I don't know if this is a good idea or a horrible idea - just a different one.....at least I think it's different...if someone else suggested it, my bad...

This makes at least 4 great ideas in light of the announcement.

Here is the feedback you desire.

Can we get a red titled person in here to at least say "bro" or something? Lol.

Hopefully it's enough to put the breaks on what appears to be a not-so-good idea.

Anyone can get ahold of me on here for my line id. If things go forward as is, so be it. Done with this thread. icon_razz.gif

*drops mic*
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    I understand that people are upset, I am too, but taking it out on HiFi is the wrong approach. He's just the messenger, and he works for the publisher, not the devs who made this decision
    Wasn't taking it out on him. Just stating the fact that if you drop a bomb and aren't around to pick up the pieces, it doesn't make any sense to credit them for not dropping it on a friday.
  • Just one addition to the rbdragon's suggested solution: Even though you are shielded you must appear in other players' queues. Otherwise this tactic would allow you to exploit it:
    1) Play until the balance point
    2) Shield until you drop out of queues
    3) Play one match
    4) Reshield
    5) Repeat

As soon as a shield is dropped there can not be any advantage over another unshielded player.
  • simonsez
    Options
    I have an idea that I'm mapping out to continue shield hopping, but will take pretty much most of the top alliances to communicate, and hops to be on large scale. This is totally possible
    It's not just possible, it's inevitable. The top alliances already do communicate hops with each other. What this change means is that more casual PvP players, such as myself, will be forced to participate as well; as others have already said, out-of-game communication will increase, not decrease.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Sontar wrote:
    Just one addition to the rbdragon's suggested solution: Even though you are shielded you must appear in other players' queues
    That would be fantastic. You could have guys climb to 1500, shield with a tank team up, and give everyone free 49 points all day long.
  • simonsez
    Options
    You do realize that when you lower everyone's scores, when you hit your wall, those targets will be worth 23 points to you instead of 49, right?
  • simonsez wrote:
    That would be fantastic. You could have guys climb to 1500, shield with a tank team up, and give everyone free 49 points all day long.
    And the problem is what exactly? They would appear to all players so everyone can leech of them. It also keeps progression rewards attainable given a certain amount of participation in a PvP. Though I doubt you would be able to get a team to 1500 in the first place The balanace point even with 4stars is probably lower.
  • simonsez
    Options
    Sontar wrote:
    And the problem is what exactly?
    You inferred sarcasm where none was intended. I don't like PvP. If there were a way to get an easy 49 points in every battle, I would seriously love it.
  • Sorry about that, I am not used to people agreeing with me icon_e_smile.gif