New feature: Shields

Options

Comments

• Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid feature? This gonna lower competition.

You gonna pay for a feature that make you less willing to play the game. That's faded to fail...

Here's is what going to happen...

"While every one sleeps I'm going to grind... Once I reach high enough... 1 day shield".

Now we go on a have later players and early players

The way I forsee it to be is like this.

Super grind for about an hour 3 hours before the end then enable a 3hr shield.
    Break your 3 hour shield 10ish minutes before hand if needed to gain rank.

• The way I forsee it to be is like this.

Super grind for about an hour 3 hours before the end then enable a 3hr shield.
    Break your 3 hour shield 10ish minutes before hand if needed to gain rank.

I don't think 3 hours before the end would allow to get you very high, but at 3-4 in the morning when the population is at its lowest? Would be super easy. I find this feature disturbingly stupid, really.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Grinding before shield hours will probably trigger many attacks same as at tournament end. Best thing to do to grind in the middle of two shield-times
  • Here's the real question though -- ignoring this, is PvP scoring fixed?

Because if not, then this is a really, really bad thing. It's encouraging repeated uses of the shield to work around a broken game mechanic.

Beyond that... I'll also presume you're still available to attack (via retaliation or normally), and the attacker gains points normally, you just don't lose any. Do you still get a retaliation then? That seems wrong if so. You didn't lose any points, but you can make them lose points? Even though it means dropping the protection.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Here's the real question though -- ignoring this, is PvP scoring fixed?

Because if not, then this is a really, really bad thing. It's encouraging repeated uses of the shield to work around a broken game mechanic.

Beyond that... I'll also presume you're still available to attack (via retaliation or normally), and the attacker gains points normally, you just don't lose any. Do you still get a retaliation then? That seems wrong if so. You didn't lose any points, but you can make them lose points? Even though it means dropping the protection.

This. All of this. I could not agree more.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    I think this is a great feature, and very handy for people who can't be online in this game 24/7. I'm really curious what the lightning round shields will look like. 200HP for 15 minutes?

Basically this is just a way for someone to pick an alternate tournament end time. If I'm going out on a Friday or Sunday night and want to spend time with friends instead of in MPQ then I can do my last push hours before the tourney ends and put up a shield. Will this be a great way to get #1 in tournaments? Probably not because the people still playing can see where the bar is and attempt to overcome it with their last push. Will it be a good way of getting a decent ranking without having to play in the last few hours? Yes, I imagine so.
  • We'll see what happens then, won't we?
  • Im at school and i cant wait to get out to see the updates. Highschool icon_rolleyes.gif
  • With zathrus on all counts. Hope they can not retaliate. I think pushing at the end will still be perfectly valid, provided shielded targets can still be attacked.
  • Yeah, I do hope scoring is reverted back to where 800 was the break even point, even with the shields.

Grinding at the end is still viable, but will be tougher to beat a shielded high scorer because you will be open to attacks. On the flip side, the shielded person needs to be obsessively watching at the end in case someone surpasses him, and then risk breaking his shield to keep his lead.
  • Misguided wrote:
    With zathrus on all counts. Hope they can not retaliate. I think pushing at the end will still be perfectly valid, provided shielded targets can still be attacked.

Of course shielded people won't be able to get attacked. The shield wouldn't serve any purposes otherwise. The way I'm sying it, people who will have shielded themselves after farming during low population hours will finish tournaments with 200-300 hundred points above everyone else. Either you shield yourself or you don't get ranked in the top positions.
  • I think this has potential. In fact I think one of my first posts (or maybe in game ticket, can't remember) was me complaining that I woke up after grinding the night before and had lost like 250 points. I didn't really understand the game that well at the time. But assuming we can still attack people who are shielded, I kind of like this. It will help us reach those higher tier progression rewards as well, especially if they fix(ed) the PVP scoring. Hopefully the patch notes priovide a very clear explanation of how this all works. But either way, there is going to be a definite learning curve on what will be the best strategy.
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    I'm reserving all judgement until after the patch notes. I feel there are too many unanswered questions as to how this will really work.
  • Microtom wrote:
    Misguided wrote:
    With zathrus on all counts. Hope they can not retaliate. I think pushing at the end will still be perfectly valid, provided shielded targets can still be attacked.

Of course shielded people won't be able to get attacked. The shield wouldn't serve any purposes otherwise. The way I'm sying it, people who will have shielded themselves after farming during low population hours will finish tournaments with 200-300 hundred points above everyone else. Either you shield yourself or you don't get ranked in the top positions.

Well the in game description says that it "protects your rating from other players attacks", not that it protects you from being attacked. So in theory I think (hope) that although people can attack you and gain points, you don't lose points from your rating.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    Here's the real question though -- ignoring this, is PvP scoring fixed?

My experiences with the current tournament after the patch say no, but I haven't been playing this game for a particularly long time so I may not be the best judge of this. Still, it does seem like the scoring system is about the same as it was pre-patch, which is why my concerns are growing with this feature.
  • MaTThZero
    MaTThZero Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This feature seems like a really interesting one ... but keep in mind one thing .

for example in a tournament like the one that is on at the moment ... what if 20 people get to 1100 and then freeze themselves ... that means anyone that attacks them will probably get arround 35-40 points and they wont drop any .. not only will they keep their 1100 spot.. but the overall rating of the group will always be higher.. and the 1500 rewards might finally be reachable
  • Nightshade wrote:
    I'd be MUCH more okay with this if it cost Iso like most else. Costing real cash to patch an inherent flaw in game play mechanics seems... wrong to me somehow.

I understand they are a business looking for ways to monetize their product to it's fullest profitability. If this is in addition to editing the rubber banding foolery during tourneys, neat. If this is the complete answer... I am very dissapointed. Very disappointed indeed.
    400 points is easily obtainable each tournament. Then save the 8 hours for the final 8 hours of the tournament to reach higher progressions. This is a fantastic update as it is increasingly harder to reach higher levels as I can't find anyone worth more than 5 points on the the last 2 days any longer.
  • MaTThZero wrote:
    This feature seems like a really interesting one ... but keep in mind one thing .

for example in a tournament like the one that is on at the moment ... what if 20 people get to 1100 and then freeze themselves ... that means anyone that attacks them will probably get arround 35-40 points and they wont drop any .. not only will they keep their 1100 spot.. but the overall rating of the group will always be higher.. and the 1500 rewards might finally be reachable
    Yeah, the only problem is that with the current break even point of around 400/500 it will still be near impossible to hit 1100 because while you are trying to climb the ladder you are going to be nailed for huge chunks of points on a regular basis.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Yea, I agree with MaTT. This has the potential to raise scores across the board (assuming many people partake in the shielding) and you can gain points from the shielded opponent.

Plus it gives people who have hoarded all their HP something to spend it on.

Also, if 1200-1300 tier rewards (often 3 star covers) are more accessible, than that represents a tremendous value of just buying a couple temporary shields instead of paying for the cover. Which is what I've had to do for almost all my Spidey/Rag covers.
  • This is a somewhat similar shield compared to the game Clash of Clans.

Let's see how it works in this situation, this seems like a f2p mechanic implemented in most games