New feature: Shields

Options
poomermon
poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
edited January 2014 in MPQ General Discussion
Game just updated and there is now a new feature called shields that allow you to protect your rating from other peoples attacks in pvp events. It cost HP to give yourself a limited time immunity to rating loss but you cannot attack yourself or the shield is lost. So now you can pump your rating to high level and use a shield and not worry about last minute attacks. Costs are:

200 hp - 1 day immunity
100 hp - 8 hours immunity
50 hp - 3 hours immunity

Thoughts?

Comments

• Not sure yet. I see the last 3 hrs being the most widely used and it could pay for itself if you build a lead and sell off unneeded covers. So attack the top targets with 3:01 minute remaining icon_e_smile.gif interesting. ..
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    I do not see any of this.
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    Options

It was a steam update. I'm located in Finland currently so maybe it has not updated on phones or other areas yet.
  • If this shows up on my phone, I finally have a use for all that hp i have. I will be ecstatic
  • darkmagearcanis
    Options
    poomermon wrote:

It was a steam update. I'm located in Finland currently so maybe it has not updated on phones or other areas yet.

Ah this makes much more sense now. Thank you.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    Looks like R45 is on the App Store now.
  • Nemek wrote:

Just updated. "You were attacked" messages now hit you up for money in S.H.I.E.L.D Training. I have not entered the Double Shot yet, so I do not know if it is an option there. It makes sense for people who do not want to wake up early for the final hour of a PVP event.
  • Nemek wrote:

I love the text on the update:
    The R45 update has just hit the AppStore! Download it now!

For full (English Only) Patch Notes, please visit http://d3pforums.com

They haven't posted the patch notes as of yet. Oops.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Options
    This will likely have HUGE implications. Players won't be able to wait until the last few minutes to push, since all of the really high value targets will probably have a shield up by then.

There will also be a big guessing game as to what kind of score you need to guarantee high placings and also a guessing game to figure out when the best time to make your push is.

Prettttttty interesting. We'll see how this develops.
  • I think the last ten minutes will still be treacherous. People who pay 50hp for a little safety may still monitor the end of the tournament to make sure nobody moves past them in the rankings. If they have to start fighting again in the final minutes, then they open themselves to high point losses from lower-ranked players who can see them again.
  • The feature is reasonably priced and relatively well balanced. That being said, I can't help but feel that they went with a cash grab approach (albeit not that big of a cash grab, and perhaps not at all for certain players) to a bigger problem at hand which is how messed up the tourney points system is.
  • Do they just make it so no one can attack you, or so that being attacked doesn't lose you points? Because there is a difference. I assume it would be the latter, if only to preserve more targets in the MMR pools.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The best and fairest implementation would be to build the endgame highscore by the highest progression points the player ever reached in the spwcific tournament. This shield system will probably sück
  • Duoprism wrote:
    The feature is reasonably priced and relatively well balanced. That being said, I can't help but feel that they went with a cash grab approach (albeit not that big of a cash grab, and perhaps not at all for certain players) to a bigger problem at hand which is how messed up the tourney points system is.
    Eh. Almost every tournament has a 50HP reward at the 400 point level nowadays, meaning every players getting a rating high enough to protect can protect it for free for 3 hours, at least. 8 hours if you tank one tournament, then really try in the next. So, I don't view it as a huge cash grab. Gives people another outlet to spend money though, particularly the high-level players, which is something people have been clamoring for.
  • Kyosokun wrote:
    Duoprism wrote:
    The feature is reasonably priced and relatively well balanced. That being said, I can't help but feel that they went with a cash grab approach (albeit not that big of a cash grab, and perhaps not at all for certain players) to a bigger problem at hand which is how messed up the tourney points system is.
    Eh. Almost every tournament has a 50HP reward at the 400 point level nowadays, meaning every players getting a rating high enough to protect can protect it for free for 3 hours, at least. 8 hours if you tank one tournament, then really try in the next. So, I don't view it as a huge cash grab. Gives people another outlet to spend money though, particularly the high-level players, which is something people have been clamoring for.
    Like I said, it's more the principle than the actual application of the feature. Many microtransaction model games start out like this and only proceed to get worse from there; which is what I'm most worried about.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Interestingly (or expected) the SHIELD Training shields are stronger.
    8 hrs for 50 hp
    1 day for 100 hp
    3 days for 200 hp
  • I'd be MUCH more okay with this if it cost Iso like most else. Costing real cash to patch an inherent flaw in game play mechanics seems... wrong to me somehow.

I understand they are a business looking for ways to monetize their product to it's fullest profitability. If this is in addition to editing the rubber banding foolery during tourneys, neat. If this is the complete answer... I am very dissapointed. Very disappointed indeed.
  • I think this is a very nice feature for those who can't be online when the tournament ends. Breaking the shield if you attack makes this a very balanced feature IMHO!
    I'm definitely gonna use this!
    Good job d3!
  • Am I the only one who thinks this is stupid feature? This gonna lower competition.

You gonna pay for a feature that make you less willing to play the game. That's faded to fail...

Here's is what going to happen...

"While every one sleeps I'm going to grind... Once I reach high enough... 1 day shield".

Now we go on a have later players and early players
  • Wow this seems like a pretty bad idea. So people are going to get a really high score at night when no one is playing and buy this shield, then there's no way anyone is ever going to get a good rank at the end...