New feature: Shields

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• I_am_Zero
    I_am_Zero Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    jozier! i saw you sneak in a couple of battles at the end to claim 1st place, but there was nothing I could do, can't battle and drive to work at the same time! I think my MMR is messed up now since I was seeing the same people over and over again, had to hit that skip button lots of times to get fresh battles. The one weird instance was when I hit this one guy like 3 times, but since he was shielded, he lost no points. But then he came out of shielding to attack me. Oh well, I'm happy with getting 2nd place, need those spidey covers.

I can definitely see this as a great money generating option for d3. 8 of the top 10 in my bracket were shielded. That doesn't account for all those people who shielded to stay in a certain reward tier. Sure, the first 3 hour shield is only 50 HP, but I see people attacking, then shielding, attacking, then shielding. Those 50 HP shields add up fast when people want to stay in a certain rewards tier.
  • I am Zero wrote:
    jozier! i saw you sneak in a couple of battles at the end to claim 1st place, but there was nothing I could do, can't battle and drive to work at the same time! I think my MMR is messed up now since I was seeing the same people over and over again, had to hit that skip button lots of times to get fresh battles. The one weird instance was when I hit this one guy like 3 times, but since he was shielded, he lost no points. But then he came out of shielding to attack me. Oh well, I'm happy with getting 2nd place, need those spidey covers.

I can definitely see this as a great money generating option for d3. 8 of the top 10 in my bracket were shielded. That doesn't account for all those people who shielded to stay in a certain reward tier. Sure, the first 3 hour shield is only 50 HP, but I see people attacking, then shielding, attacking, then shielding. Those 50 HP shields add up fast when people want to stay in a certain rewards tier.

Haha I saw you too. I popped up to 1400 last night and got smacked for 50, so I tossed on an 8 hour shield. I broke it with about 15 minutes left to sneak up to claim first over you. It was close though.

I got lucky I guess at the end, I managed to find three battles for 29 points or so that I was able to quickly run through. My team finishes fights quickly so I went from 1355 up to 1480 or so, got smacked once, and that's where I ended.
  • jozier wrote:
    StoneWolf wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    You only had to drop 1 spot to fall into the top 45. Not that unreasonable especially since your score remained static.

The point is the shielding hasn't changed the strategy at all. You still need to be playing in the last few minutes to get your prize. The main difference is that scores are higher and people are spending more HP.

It's significantly changed the strategy, and the scoring.

If you really think sitting at 15th place with 15 minutes to go in a tournament is going to guarantee you a top 15 finish, you're out of your mind. Shielding probably kept you in the top 45 however. Without it, you probably would have dropped to the next tier at least.

This. A shield will not protect your position in a pack completely. but they can help. I scored a top 5 finish shielding from the night before, where if I had not shielded, I likely would have been lucky to score top 50. But I shielded in 1st, with a 100 point lead.

It is very obviously changing strategies, and how scoring is working. It did not make playing at the end obsolete, though. still an effective strategy, a few players in my bracket snuck into the top 5 that way. But it's not the only play option viable any more.