New feature: Shields

Options

Comments

• Phantron wrote:
    Even if it's not intended, a shielded opponent is still the safest person to attack by the virtue of that guy cannot retaliate against you at all. You can't control whose screen you happen to show up normally, but one less retaliation is still one less way to lose your points.

But is there an easy way to identify whether they are shielded or not...?
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Even if it's not intended, a shielded opponent is still the safest person to attack by the virtue of that guy cannot retaliate against you at all. You can't control whose screen you happen to show up normally, but one less retaliation is still one less way to lose your points.

I couldn't see that a person was shielded in LR's even though they were.
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

Hmm, that's a good question. I sure haven't seen any unique icon yet. I mean I see people say hit XYZ who is shielded so I assume this means you can see it on the attack screen, but maybe they just infer it from leaderboard?

That said, even if there's no visible cue, whoever is shielded is presumably high score (why else would you shield), so he'd naturally be an attractive target to attack.
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

I couldn't see that a person was shielded in LR's even though they were.

Okay, so it's not as trivial as I thought to push score up. But even without any indicator, it's not like people have an aversion to attack high score targets, so in the long run if you just attacked every high score juicy target you can see, it should still work out fine for the community.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Shield is primarily used to hit the progression rewards. It also injects some stability in the final phase of a tournament. Normally, if you're #1 with 15 minutes left, your final ranking is likely anywhere between 1 and 200. Now, if you were able to shield at that time, you'd probably get a top 20 at least (though you probably won't get the #1 either assuming you didn't start with a big lead). Further, shields stops the 'last minute tournament entry' guys. If your bracket's top score is 1400, it's going to be awfully hard for a guy to enter in the last 60 minutes to even get anywhere close to that. Even at winning 40 points per game (and you probably won't), you'd need to win 35 games just to even be in striking range.

Right thank you, I've been trying to see some benefits to this but couldn't get past the 'people being x ahead because they've beat you is the same as losing X points because they beat you' mental block I was having.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Now I'm currently #2 and shielded with 1118. Someone recently got ahead with 1198. The other player can keep IW for all I care XD

Edit: Decided to take a gamble and now I'm #1 with 1415 w/ shield.
    #2 has 1311, #3 has 816, and the rest are around 600 and below.
  • I am shielded for the evening. I forgot to put in a super easy team. Sorry.

I'm still hanging on to #1 in my bracket, but I expect to be lower by morning. I really just want top 15 for the blue Spidey cover.
  • I threw up my shield after I broke 1300.

Should be interesting to see what happens, but I've not gotten a score nearly this high since the Thornament.

I've got a several hundred point lead and am in first. Hopefully a top 5 holds.
  • cpgecko wrote:
    I threw up my shield after I broke 1300.

Should be interesting to see what happens, but I've not gotten a score nearly this high since the Thornament.

I've got a several hundred point lead and am in first. Hopefully a top 5 holds.

I hit 1400 and did the same, but #2 is climbing fast with 6+ hours to go... hopefully i'll get some spidey covers icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • It will be interesting to see whether losses while shielded affect matchmaking. Hopefully they had the sense not to do that.
  • I threw up my shield at 1000 points last night (getting higher was proving an exceriser in frustration), #1 in my bracket. I am now #2, #1 having over 1200 points. I think, unless things change between now and 8:50 est or so, I'm happy with that. I have a green cover IW already, and while getting another would be nice (I like collecting), it's not the draw it would be if it were a diff color. Better not to risk losing spidey and wasting HP.
  • This new shield feature alleviates all of the final hour stress I always have playing the "two steps forward, one step back" game. Pulled into top 5 last night, put up an 8 hour shield. Set my alarm at 3.5 hours before tourney close, climbed into #1, and put up a 3 hour shield. All those covers and progression plus prize HP made those shields totally worth it. Tasty, tasty.
  • I don't know about others, but I'm pretty annoyed. I put a shield up in the top 10 when I went to bed last night, checked 15 minutes before end time and I was still within the top 15. When the tourney ended I fell into the top 45 somehow and ended up selling yet another yellow Spidey. My Spider-man still has 0 blue :S
  • You only had to drop 1 spot to fall into the top 45. Not that unreasonable especially since your score remained static.
  • I took a nap before yesterday night and played until 3am. Whether it was because it was late or everyone else was shielded, I barely got attacked. Went to sleep with 1405 in first position. I finished the tourney in 3rd place.
  • Finished first with a puny 1113, although it went up to 1115 because someone yielded to me. Not sure you should be able to earn points while shielded, but it is good to know.

Next time, I am going to join later when there are more high value targets available. The completionist in me wants that red Wolverine cover so his useless green brother is not lonely.
  • jozier wrote:
    You only had to drop 1 spot to fall into the top 45. Not that unreasonable especially since your score remained static.

The point is the shielding hasn't changed the strategy at all. You still need to be playing in the last few minutes to get your prize. The main difference is that scores are higher and people are spending more HP.
  • Unknown
    edited January 2014
    Options
    As always it depends on how competitive your bracket is. 1st in mine was 1400+. 2-5 was all clustered around 1000. I was In 6th with ten minutes left. Broke my shield to do 3 or 4 quick matches to reach 1k progression and top 5. I love this shield thing. Progression Rewards plus placement hp and selling extra covers allowed me a 2 hr shield and i still made 100 hp on the deal. It gives everyone a fighting chance, although some have better chance then others depending on your bracket

Edit 24hr shield not 2hr.
  • Had to work so I shielded myself early @902. Still came up top 15 for blue & yellow spidey, what else could i ask for icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • StoneWolf wrote:
    jozier wrote:
    You only had to drop 1 spot to fall into the top 45. Not that unreasonable especially since your score remained static.

The point is the shielding hasn't changed the strategy at all. You still need to be playing in the last few minutes to get your prize. The main difference is that scores are higher and people are spending more HP.

It's significantly changed the strategy, and the scoring.

If you really think sitting at 15th place with 15 minutes to go in a tournament is going to guarantee you a top 15 finish, you're out of your mind. Shielding probably kept you in the top 45 however. Without it, you probably would have dropped to the next tier at least.