*** Mystique (Raven Darkholme) ***

Options

Comments

• hesjingixen
    hesjingixen Posts: 215 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Shouldn't somebody update the main page with her patch changes?
  • Shouldn't somebody update the main page with her patch changes?

And while they're at it they should reset the vote to see if the new patch has any effect on what people feel is their favourite build (I was going to say most effective, but they're all effective depending on what you're doing - 4/5/4 or 4/4/5 look good to me).
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2015
    Options
    JusticeB wrote:

And while they're at it they should reset the vote to see if the new patch has any effect on what people feel is their favourite build (I was going to say most effective, but they're all effective depending on what you're doing - 4/5/4 or 4/4/5 look good to me).

Her purple blows, the random placement + anti-synergy on blue means it doesn't usually last long. 3/5/5 is the way to go but the winfinite nerf really hurt her. I've been using her a decent amount recently (she is the perfect partner for LThor) and her blue almost never cascades now. I think messing up mags was enough, she should either go back to pre-nerf numbers or she needs a buff (placeable purple would help)
  • dkffiv wrote:
    JusticeB wrote:

Her purple blows, the random placement + anti-synergy on blue means it doesn't last long usually. 3/5/5 is the way to go but the winfinite nerf really hurt her. I've been using her a decent amount (she is the perfect partner for LThor) recently and her blue almost never cascades now. I think messing up mags was enough, she should either go back to pre-nerf numbers or she needs a buff (placeable purple would help)

nah, no reason to hurt 2* players when they could've just, I dunno, swapped her purple and blue powers?
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:

nah, no reason to hurt 2* players when they could've just, I dunno, swapped her purple and blue powers?

They had to hurt 2* players because they didn't think out Professor X well when they designed him. 2* Mag isn't bad, I still use him every day on the deadpool missions, but Mystique has a bad purple, a mediocre blue and a decent black. Her blue was supposed to feed into her other abilities (which remind you you can't really cast if her purple is already out unless you don't mind destroying it) but it doesn't even do a good job at that anymore.
  • dkffiv wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:

They had to hurt 2* players because they didn't think out Professor X well when they designed him. 2* Mag isn't bad, I still use him every day on the deadpool missions, but Mystique has a bad purple, a mediocre blue and a decent black. Her blue was supposed to feed into her other abilities (which remind you you can't really cast if her purple is already out unless you don't mind destroying it) but it doesn't even do a good job at that anymore.
    Then we're in agreeance.

The only use I see for 2*Mag is combo w/ Rag
  • monstermike
    monstermike Posts: 71
    Options
    Currently have her at level 104, 5/4/4, the way the covers came.

I know I need 5 black, maximum damage. I like the double stun, but don't need the TuT steals all that much. I know I'll be castrated for this, but is 5/3/5 that bad of a build? Or even keeping her like this. Or going 4/4/5.

Is 5 in blue that essential?
  • Unknown
    Options

I know I need 5 black, maximum damage. I like the double stun, but don't need the TuT steals all that much. I know I'll be castrated for this, but is 5/3/5 that bad of a build? Or even keeping her like this. Or going 4/4/5.

I've got mine 5/3/5. Part of the reason 5 in blue was considered essential was that it was necessary for some brokenish combos. When those combos went away, her build got a little more varied. I've got mine as 5/3/5 in part because I like the improved purple more than the improved blue. I tend not to use her a lot, though, so people who use here more probably feel differently. One thing to factor in in my case is that I tend to throw her on a team more for color support, and if I need her there I probably won't get as much out of blue. Also, if I'm using her, it means I'm probably up against Doom (who I use over her in those colors), and I don't want to use her blue a lot against Doom.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I always liked purple even back when blue had to be at 5 to get the combos going. It's good insurance against the AI doing a crazy cascade. I'll probably still have purple at level 3 but there are definitely a lot of time where I see a situation where purple at 5 would've been quite useful.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:

I've got mine 5/3/5. Part of the reason 5 in blue was considered essential was that it was necessary for some brokenish combos. When those combos went away, her build got a little more varied. I've got mine as 5/3/5 in part because I like the improved purple more than the improved blue. I tend not to use her a lot, though, so people who use here more probably feel differently. One thing to factor in in my case is that I tend to throw her on a team more for color support, and if I need her there I probably won't get as much out of blue. Also, if I'm using her, it means I'm probably up against Doom (who I use over her in those colors), and I don't want to use her blue a lot against Doom.
    Her purple so bad tho...just bring Hood
  • Unknown
    Options
    What were her abilities & stats before the nerf? Does someone still have the levels in the first post from before?

Thanks! icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Mines at 3 5 5 just because that's how the covers came. I don't see wanting to re-spec her any. In my use Purple's sole purpose is to set up her black. This last gauntlet is the most I've ever used her and while she's proved useful boosted I still think I'd prefer to take Doom over her into battle.
  • TLCstormz
    TLCstormz Posts: 1,668
    Options
    I finally covered this wench. She's not worth putting Iso into, is she?

She's my first character at 13 covers.

:+(
  • Unknown
    Options
    TLCstormz wrote:
    I finally covered this wench. She's not worth putting Iso into, is she?

She's my first character at 13 covers.

NOt really, much like Spiderman or Sentry, she's been overnerfed.

Her whole schtick was "I'm low health but dangerous", but D3 deemed her "boring" so now she's low health, ****, has damage, doesn't convert tiles as good as XYZ, has a **** purple, etc.

She really doesn't do anything anymore. I mean, you can try to 'Winfinite' with her, but you'd be better off just picking Iron Fist and leaving her behind.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    After using her in the Gauntlet, I've been considering Mystique best build may be 5/3/5 instead of 3/5/5. Maybe it's just the ridiculous over-scaling on Global Domination wave, but I found the extra turn of Stun at 5 purpleflag.png covers to be more helpful than the situational benefit of extra tile conversion that comes from 5 blueflag.png covers, which I was always worried might help the AI as much as it would me. Plus, I was saving Blue AP for LCap anyway (not to mention her Blue is now more expensive after the Winfinite nerf)....

So, again, maybe this was a very specific Gauntlet experience, but what do you experts thing about running Mystique in her new & improved form at 5/3/5 instead of 3/5/5?
  • Unknown
    edited June 2015
    Options
    After using her in the Gauntlet, I've been considering Mystique best build may be 5/3/5 instead of 3/5/5. Maybe it's just the ridiculous over-scaling on Global Domination wave, but I found the extra turn of Stun at 5 purpleflag.png covers to be more helpful than the situational benefit of extra tile conversion that comes from 5 blueflag.png covers, which I was always worried might help the AI as much as it would me. Plus, I was saving Blue AP for LCap anyway (not to mention her Blue is now more expensive after the Winfinite nerf)....

So, again, maybe this was a very specific Gauntlet experience, but what do you experts thing about running Mystique in her new & improved form at 5/3/5 instead of 3/5/5?
    stuns are great, but the scale of good to bad purples is very high. Yes, if you're forced to use Mystique, 2 turn stun will help immensely. But unless you're forced, you prob shouldn't be playing her.

She does have a niche-niche-niche of AP denial though.

Speaking of things to do with Mystique: She pairs well with Iron Fist if you just want to grab tons and tons of black/purple/blue. The board eventually has to match...but they're so squish.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, she can fill two niches -- targeted purple stun, or Blue->Purple/Black mega-damage fueled by MNMags. The latter has more utility than the former.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Speaking of things to do with Mystique: She pairs well with Iron Fist if you just want to grab tons and tons of black/purple/blue. The board eventually has to match...but they're so squish.

Against Ultron (Tetris), I consistently used her with IF and XF. It worked because black was ultron's strongest color, so I could flood the board with black, hit him with one or two IF purples, then Surgical the rest of the way. That continues to work against other teams that have black as their strongest color. As long as black is strongest, you can often hit black to down one guy, then the board fills up with mostly not-black, probably providing you with enough of whatever is now their strongest color to drop a second guy (assuming you had 22 black, which isn't that difficult between Iron Fist and Infiltrate). It's still VERY niche though (we're talking about Punisher, Blade, Ultron, Daken, and uh...), and has a lot of situations where it just doesn't work. At all.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

In gauntlet stuns are very valuable, so it makes sense, but what about all the extra colors and TU you stole? You probably don't remember because you don't use her purple except for stunning and setting up black. Blue accelerates black and purple as well as denying colors actually better than purple in some regards, if I need more stun I'll use TU's.

Pop blue, to hopefully get you enough purple to stun, make that match 4 black to get enough to one shot masterstroke. You will win more games 3/5/5 then 5/3/5.

You either go 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 with Mystque. 3/5/5 for standalone power, 5/5/3 as a support/control feeding black to someone else
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I am loving the 4/4/5 build, have had many chances to re-spec, but not going to. Using her buffed has really shown me that she is solid, so i tried her a bit in the shield sim, and even unbuffed, one of the most fun to use.