MPQ Interview At Marvel.com: Mystique Revealed!

Options

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
  • GuntherBlobel
    GuntherBlobel Posts: 987 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Nick-Thor wrote:
    Love how they allude to her ability to be used in a storyline yet we just get rehashed stories.

I've come to the point where I interpret their mention of new "stories" to be like how to they described using Colossus' Fastball Special to create different stories. As in the stories you make up in your own head.

"Watch out Wolverine! Colossus just made Mystique shiftshape into you by tossing her into the air!!" Good story.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    I don't really like these thinly veiled attempts to make a specific counter character. What's next, a character that's strong against someone who has a blue passive and black and yellow active? A character that's strong against someone whose name begins with "The"? Strong against someone whose name starts with 'S' and ends in "Y"? A character strong against an oppoent that uses claws?

Rock-paper-scissors is a perfectly balanced game, because it has a specific counter to any particular move. That's an ideal sense of balance.

The problem is you have Sentry which beats everything, so the rest of the balance is out of whack.
  • Ha ha! I'm loving everyone's reaction to us having to grind that Damned Juggs Heroic again icon_lol.gif I fully agree, not a fan.
  • I've come to the point where I interpret their mention of new "stories" to be like how to they described using Colossus' Fastball Special to create different stories. As in the stories you make up in your own head.

"Watch out Wolverine! Colossus just made Mystique shiftshape into you by tossing her into the air!!" Good story.

It's like a little kid playing with really **** toys.

"Watch out, Beast! Doc Ock is here to stop your experiments, and he lo-oh he's already dead."

And then some bigger kid brings his Sentry and ruins EVERYTHING.
  • Finally, the lvl 395 Headbutts are back. What took you so long?
  • john1620b
    Options
    Her icon is . . . lips? Really? There was nothing better suggested by anyone?
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    She has how many skulls on her outfit?
  • GuntherBlobel
    Options
    She has how many skulls on her outfit?
    Start the petition!
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    fmftint wrote:
    A character and an even NO ONE asked for
    I really, REALLY had this pegged as Gambit. He won the popular vote, the charged tile mechanics are now in place...and we get Mystique.

Show of hands of who asked for Mystique? Anyone? I have nothing against her personally, but she's always been problematic in Marvel games because her one cool ability is basically boring, mechanically. This one doesn't seem TOO bad, but...

And I know I've harped on this before...

She's not doing anything new. Countdown tiles, AP drain, and changing tile colors. WOW. IT'S LIKE A COMPLETELY NEW GAME.

The game is stagnating and they keep pushing out new characters. That's like adding more mayonnaise to a week-old egg salad. You're going to make people sick, D3. Stop serving it.
    I honestly don't understand the Gambit craze. I admittedly don't read comics, so that's probably where my puzzlement comes from. AFAIK, he's a charming dude who does explodey card tricks and makes his pole poke harder on command. Yay.

Though I would've preferred Rogue, I thought Mystique would be an awesome addition -- difficult to implement well, but awesome. Her vaguely outlined powerset is curious, and the "destroy AP held by both teams" bit raises my eyebrows, but it'd be interesting to see how it feels to actually play her. That said, a tile board covered in lips is a bit disturbing.
  • screw this, with the flood of new characters recently what are they trying to accomplish? So that transitioning players can never built up useful 3* characters without spending HP on covers? ....... oh wait that's exactly what they are trying to accomplish.
  • over_clocked
    Options
    1: Heroic Juggernaut is horrible news indeed unless something has been finally changed about it (for example, introducing SUBS or reducing global scaling to saner levels, and offering a decent, synergized, full rainbow roster).

I am only more glad than upset because I like Mystique a lot and I like it how she sounds a lot like 3* oBW. Since we can't technically have a Gold oBW due to GSBW, this is the next best thing hopefully.

Here's my old proposition for Mystique's possible skillset.
    locked wrote:
    Mystique doesn't copy abilities... Only looks. Come to think of it, her abilities would be tricky to implement. I can offer something like this:
    Health class - standard (6800), heals faster due to her healing factor.

purpletile.pngShape-Shifting - 8 AP
    Mystique is a master impersonator. She uses her mutant ability to get what she wants and escape safely, but she can't afford to be revealed early.
    Changes the colour of any basic coloured tile to a desired one and deals 490 damage if a match has been made, but if no match has been made, she recovers 2 purple AP and receives 280 damage. Ends the turn.
    Level 2: Changes the colour of any attack/protect tile as well. Recovers 3 purple AP if no match has been made.
    Level 3: Deals 700 damage upon a match and receives 100 damage/4 purple AP otherwise. (Max 1400/200).
    Level 4: Changes the colour of any strike/CD tile as well. Gets no damage if no match has been made.
    Level 5: Doesn't end the turn.

bluetile.pngDouble-Cross - 8 AP
    Not to be trusted by either team, Mystique sets out to pursue her own goals. Stuns both teams for 1 turn, deals 800 damage to the target.
    Level 2: damage increased.
    Level 3: damage increased.
    Level 4: stuns the target for 2 turns.
    Level 5: deals double damage to the target (max 4000) but also stuns her strongest teammate for 2 turns.

blacktile.png (passive) Infiltration (shamelessly reskinned and retooled Espionage)
    Upon her black matches infiltrates the enemy team, hits the weakest opponent for 100 damage, and steals 1 yellowtile.png .
    Level 2: deals 120 damage.
    Level 3: Steals 1 redtile.png as well.
    Level 4: deals damage to all enemies (max 580).
    Level 5: Steals 1 greentile.png as well.

The numbers are arbitrary.
    2. Why not tiny skulls for Mystique's icon indeedy? I don't mind lips, but skulls would be awesome, too!
  • HailMary wrote:
    Interview highlights for me:
    At high levels of the ability this one-two punch of Shapeshifting and Masterstroke usage is more than enough to take out the likes of Patch Wolverine or her nominal employer Classic Magneto in a single strike.
    That sounds promising icon_cool.gif ... though Beast technically has a CTS-level one-two punch, too. icon_e_sad.gif

No he doesn't. Not even close to 6800 combined damage.

A one two punch that actually, ya know, punches, is not bad. See Thunderstrike -> CTS. I am more than willing to get 8 purple and 9 black to murderface a 6800 character.
  • HailMary wrote:

I honestly don't understand the Gambit craze. I admittedly don't read comics, so that's probably where my puzzlement comes from. AFAIK, he's a charming dude who does explodey card tricks and makes his pole poke harder on command. Yay.

Though I would've preferred Rogue, I thought Mystique would be an awesome addition -- difficult to implement well, but awesome. Her vaguely outlined powerset is curious, and the "destroy AP held by both teams" bit raises my eyebrows, but it'd be interesting to see how it feels to actually play her. That said, a tile board covered in lips is a bit disturbing.

But he's CAJUN and handsome and he's a WILD-CARD, BABY. But yeah, who knows why he continues to be so popular.

Maybe she IS interesting to play - I doubt it, though. There's nothing new there, really. None of this strikes me as game changing or fun.
  • Skulls are already in use by the game mechanics. Punisher could've been a skull, too. But it's for opponent countdown tiles and what-not.
  • GuntherBlobel
    edited November 2014
    Options
    screw this, with the flood of new characters recently what are they trying to accomplish? So that transitioning players can never built up useful 3* characters without spending HP on covers? ....... oh wait that's exactly what they are trying to accomplish.
    This may not be the place to argue about this, but I hate this line of complaint. The new characters rarely change the competitive game (meta), which most of the time requires exactly 2 characters (guess which two you should look into). New characters, to me, just bring more fun and new ways to enjoy the game. To Demiurge, they are new content that some players are willing to pay money to unlock faster. That's not going to change, so if you don't like it, I suggest you find a game that doesn't release new content so quickly.
  • Isay_Isay
    Isay_Isay Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    Options
    poomermon wrote:
    What I can gather from pics:
    bluetile.png Infiltration costs 9. Transforms 8 random basic redtile.pngyellowtile.pnggreentile.png tiles into purpletile.png or blacktile.png tiles (at level 4). At level 5 transforms 10 tiles.

Well Deadpool got a new best friend. That will make WWW much easier to pull off.
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Options
    Lerysh wrote:
    HailMary wrote:
    That sounds promising icon_cool.gif ... though Beast technically has a CTS-level one-two punch, too. icon_e_sad.gif
    No he doesn't. Not even close to 6800 combined damage.
    Maxed out Beast greenflag.png with an existing blue special tile deals 3 * (696 + 12 * 104) = 5800+ total damage for 9 greentile.png .

So yes, technically, it's a CTS-level ability. I'm not comparing the claimed single-target damage of Mystique against Beast blueflag.png + greenflag.png . I'm saying that Beast blueflag.png + greenflag.png is, in broad strokes, a CTS-level power. What makes it **** in practice is the specific nature of Beast blueflag.png .
  • I think the Devs should take not that the discussion has been dominated by how much people hate Heroic Juggernaut, rather than discussion of the new character, and what implications that might have for the game in the future.
  • screw this, with the flood of new characters recently what are they trying to accomplish? So that transitioning players can never built up useful 3* characters without spending HP on covers? ....... oh wait that's exactly what they are trying to accomplish.
    This may not be the place to argue about this, but I hate this line of complaint. The new characters rarely change the competitive game (meta), which most of the time requires exactly 2 characters (guess which two you should look into). New characters, to me, just bring more fun and new ways to enjoy the game. To Demiurge, they are new content that some players are willing to pay money to unlock faster. That's not going to change, so if you don't like it, I suggest you find a game that doesn't release new content so quickly.

Transitiong players have very different perspective. PVE events used to be the best way to built up a 3* character (being able to get 2,3 or even 4 covers for the same character from 1 event). Recently the PVE events have all been about new characters (if you ignore the Gauntlet, it's 3 straight PVE events for new characters now), that's a much faster rate of introduction compared to before.