Venom Heroic - Oct 13 - 15

Options

Comments

• This is a complete and total waste of time. That makes it my favorite heroic ever. Because I can skip most of it.

Going to hit the essentials and a handful of early nodes occasionally, and that's it. I'm not going to get anything out of this.
  • Looking at the roster offered the best team is likely Hawkeye + Thor + GSBW and that's only if you don't have anyone at 166 to make the damage/tanking ability of the 2* irrelevent due to level shift.

They really need to stop offering 3 random 3*s that have no synergy whatsoever and yet still scale enemies as if they're part of a good team if any of them happens to be 166. You can't scale enemies to Falcon at level 166 if your roster includes nobody that can make use of Falcon's strength. In this example pretty much all 3 3*s have a primary green attack and not much else so you'd be woefully undercovered in all the other colors if you tried to use all 3 of them at the same time.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Looking at the roster offered the best team is likely Hawkeye + Thor + GSBW and that's only if you don't have anyone at 166 to make the damage/tanking ability of the 2* irrelevent due to level shift.

They really need to stop offering 3 random 3*s that have no synergy whatsoever and yet still scale enemies as if they're part of a good team if any of them happens to be 166. You can't scale enemies to Falcon at level 166 if your roster includes nobody that can make use of Falcon's strength. In this example pretty much all 3 3*s have a primary green attack and not much else so you'd be woefully undercovered in all the other colors if you tried to use all 3 of them at the same time.

Pretty sure that the D3 office has a dart board set up that they use for choosing boosted characters. It works well enough for normal events, but Heroics are a bit more...well evil?
  • Pwuz_ wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Looking at the roster offered the best team is likely Hawkeye + Thor + GSBW and that's only if you don't have anyone at 166 to make the damage/tanking ability of the 2* irrelevent due to level shift.

Pretty sure that the D3 office has a dart board set up that they use for choosing boosted characters. It works well enough for normal events, but Heroics are a bit more...well evil?

It's got to have an evil dart board because it has to take some effort to ensure you didn't select any other 3* that had a special tile when you included Falcon as one of your 3*s, or this version where all 3 3*s are primary green attack.

I'm still waiting for the Thor/Patch/Sentry heroic lineup. Well we can't have that because Sentry is a bad guy, so maybe Thor/Patch/Hulk. It'd be like which one of those guys do you want to use for 1on3 while the rest cheers? Or how about HT major boosted + Punisher + Hulk?
  • Phantron wrote:
    I'm still waiting for the Thor/Patch/Sentry heroic lineup. Well we can't have that because Sentry is a bad guy, so maybe Thor/Patch/Hulk. It'd be like which one of those guys do you want to use for 1on3 while the rest cheers? Or how about HT major boosted + Punisher + Hulk?

It'll be Ragnarok/Hulk/Patch, next. The 2*s will be Astonishing Wolverine, Ares, 2* Thor, and Juggernaut as the only 1*.

In all seriousness, I wonder if they're trying to determine the floor on participation. This is pretty much a worst-case scenario - event people hate, covers that have been given out a ton, and other, more interesting (rewards), time-consuming PVP.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

It'll be Ragnarok/Hulk/Patch, next. The 2*s will be Astonishing Wolverine, Ares, 2* Thor, and Juggernaut as the only 1*.

In all seriousness, I wonder if they're trying to determine the floor on participation. This is pretty much a worst-case scenario - event people hate, covers that have been given out a ton, and other, more interesting (rewards), time-consuming PVP.

Dev 1: Lets go to the house of each of our players and burn it to the ground.

Dev 2: No no no no, lets run a Heroic event during Anniversary week, but not give any Anniversary prizes.

Dev 1: Damn, you're evil.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    Phantron wrote:

It's got to have an evil dart board because it has to take some effort to ensure you didn't select any other 3* that had a special tile when you included Falcon as one of your 3*s, or this version where all 3 3*s are primary green attack.

At least with this one we have full Rainbow off the 3*s.
    That Heroic featuring the Falcon included L.Thor & Hulk as the other two 3*'s permitted, giving us black & blue AP and no where to use it.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I dunno, after they gave us that one heroic where we had boosted DD vs mostly goon nodes, and the one where Bagman was boosted, I don't really gripe about the roster selection anymore.

You got GSBW as a damage dealer, you got MBW as a (kinda, sorta) stunner, you got Cap to deal with CD tiles, Mororo for board shakeup, Hawkeye for some lucky stuff, 2* Thor if you are a transitioner, IM35 for starters, and Beast for nobody at all.
    Sure there's no synergy, but whatever. I've seen worse rosters for Heroics.

Just let the people with low scaling have fun and grab the prizes (and ruin their scaling once they level their guys), play this on the last day whenever you got health packs to spare, grab some double ISO nodes and ignore it otherwise since the prizes are ****.

No big deal.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    Just let the people with low scaling have fun and grab the prizes (and ruin their scaling once they level their guys), play this on the last day whenever you got health packs to spare, grab some double ISO nodes and ignore it otherwise since the prizes are ****.

/signed
  • Zen808
    Zen808 Posts: 260
    Options
    So I ran out of health packs and had to face that Yelena essential with GSBW, Cap, and 1-1-1 Beast. And I sat there looking at Beast and Cap and said aloud "I wish I had Bagman in place of one of these two yahoos." Then I had to put the game down and stick my head in a toilet.
  • Bowgentle wrote:
    I dunno, after they gave us that one heroic where we had boosted DD vs mostly goon nodes, and the one where Bagman was boosted, I don't really gripe about the roster selection anymore.

You got GSBW as a damage dealer, you got MBW as a (kinda, sorta) stunner, you got Cap to deal with CD tiles, Mororo for board shakeup, Hawkeye for some lucky stuff, 2* Thor if you are a transitioner, IM35 for starters, and Beast for nobody at all.
    Sure there's no synergy, but whatever. I've seen worse rosters for Heroics.

No big deal.

Well this event is fine if you just think of it like a Gauntlet event with the prize being the 1000 iso nodes. However if you're actually trying to place well this won't work, and I don't think 'well the placement award sucks anyway' is a good way to balance this.

They really need to think about how dependent on boosts some PvE events and PvP in general is. With this roster you need a 4 match move (Deceptive Tactics, any of Captain's move, Lightning Strike) to dig out a Threaten tile, which can easily be game ending given the lack of firepower on this team. So are the 3 Maggia nodes supposed to be the equivalent of a boss fight given how poorly this team fares against CDs? Of course not. If you're actually trying to place well you'd just do all of them with at least iso boosts to get your CD removal abilities down to 3 match and, more importantly, hopefully you'll be able to get a Sniper Rifle or a Thunder Strike/Deceptive Tactics early enough to not have to worry about CD removal. In fact this roster really highlights how long it takes to get 4 match moves going (which are the vast majority of your good moves on this roster) when you don't have OBW or The Hood around. And this kind of pace is okay, if not for the guys who just boost on everything which makes it impossible to play competitively. Sure, this event you can afford to not play competitively, but that's only because the award sucks. If they offered Devil Dino instead of Captain America for placement you'll probably be hearing a lot of complaints now.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ....I don't think anyone is actually as obsessed with boosts as you seem to be, phantron
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phantron wrote:
    If they offered Devil Dino instead of Captain America for placement you'll probably be hearing a lot of complaints now.
    I'd be ok with others wining their Devil Dinos from this heroic - I'd just grab one for T150 and be done with it.

Imagine being a little guy and seeing 1700+ needed for T5 in PVP for 3 Dino covers - they're getting one cover out of PVP - maybe (yes, sharding. forget about that for a moment).
    That'd be their chance to grab those covers.

You don't absolutely _have_ to win everything.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So far, I haven't touched a single node on this event. My alliance is pulling the slack and hovering around 100ish, so I'll probably have to lend a hand getting over the hump, but this is the first one where there's legitimately no real reason I can find for me to get involved.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Wish I could even shoot for top 150 so I can get a blueflag.pngicon_captainamerica.png as right now he has 3 redflag.png .
    Can't hit essentials since I don't have GSBW and the scaling is damaging everyone so each hard node is a 2-3 health pack affair.
    This grind is becoming not very fun.
  • Will GSBW be the Needed hero for the Essential nodes throughout the whole event, or does it change each day? Thanks.
  • Vankysher
    Vankysher Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    fivetiger wrote:
    Will GSBW be the Needed hero for the Essential nodes throughout the whole event, or does it change each day? Thanks.

It doesn't change as the event has no subs.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Has anyone entered a bracket recently? I haven't started it yet and don't want to find I end up as number 993 out of 1000 where someone already has a 15k lead on me.
  • Tharos
    Tharos Posts: 129
    Options
    During most of the previous heroic events, best characters in heroic roster were also needed for pvp. Not this time.
    Even with a Combined Arms pvp where a ton of characters are useable: it is unlikely that you want to use beast or LStorm or 2* Cap during this pvp.

That's the only nice thing in this heroic: you can collect some nice 1000 iso rewards from times to times without slowing you in the pvp event or draining your health packs.
  • GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,512 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was tearing my hair out on this event struggling with MoStorm (nearly fully covered, but badly underleveled,) GSBW (undercovered and underleveled, but at least she has a huge level boost,) and Thor, but then I remembered the 2* Cap was in the list. I mean, he's no LazyCap, but he's not bad - he can even deal with specials in a kind of a lumbering way. You can't get them all, but you can get some.

I'll probably scrap him when I have LazyCap fully covered and leveled, but the latter will probably take a month or two. Right now, thank goodness I didn't.