Best Builds

Options

Comments

• ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It seems to me that the Punisher build of choice is contingent upon the team he's in. If he's in with XFW, Doom, or Black Panther, then Molotovs are not going to get priority. In that case, then 3/5/5 is preferable.

If you're matching him with a heavy green user, ala Patch, GSBW, Thor, then It's easy to prefer 5/3/5. I don't think there's a wrong build. Some of us don't have rosters full of maxed 3* toons. I think that determines how you build Punisher.

/shrugs.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    ronin-san wrote:
    It seems to me that the Punisher build of choice is contingent upon the team he's in. If he's in with XFW, Doom, or Black Panther, then Molotovs are not going to get priority. In that case, then 3/5/5 is preferable.

If you're matching him with a heavy green user, ala Patch, GSBW, Thor, then It's easy to prefer 5/3/5. I don't think there's a wrong build. Some of us don't have rosters full of maxed 3* toons. I think that determines how you build Punisher.

/shrugs.

I think its weird to not max judgement overall (if you have the covers to do so) since it boosts both black and red's effectiveness and for the rest of your team.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I think its weird to not max judgement overall (if you have the covers to do so) since it boosts both black and red's effectiveness and for the rest of your team.

I do gsbw's purple to net greens. If I now have 21, I am not doing another (series of purple) match so I can eek out vengeance and then do sniper rifle.

I don't, because I whittle the enemy team down for max effectiveness while I am gaining purples. I kill AT LEAST one when I use her attack.

Having punisher with widow, to me, is silly. Widow, doom, patch work for me, because I then have redundant green and red abilities. They also work because I have high lvls and covers for them.

Again. It is because of roster that I see 5/3/5 as viable. I prefer patch's green to punishers. I bundle patch and widow together, so purple queuing is a sub-strategy.

YMMV.
  • themoneymaker
    themoneymaker Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Updated with the Colossus info I found, I am unsure of how accurate it is as an optimal build but from what I can see that's what people are going with
  • Najbolji
    Najbolji Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    bump

Admin should make this sticky
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    copy/paste for **Daken from daken thread
    I would always max his healing since there will be times the board just drys up on blues or from popping chemical reaction a lot and then he starts taking the burn damage per turn instead of healing, maxing the heal allows him to jump back faster when this happens.

to me the best build for him is 3/5/5 to maximize chemical reaction as a cheap damage power and have sustain. if his PR passive still made the 2 strike tiles at max rank like his 3 star big brother then I would say 5/5/3 like ***daken but since it doesn't and they made them weaker I would max the blue to squeeze as much damage from the bonus strike tile damage on chem reaction as possible.

linky for additional comments

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=821&start=60
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    copy/paste for **Daken from daken thread
    I would always max his healing since there will be times the board just drys up on blues or from popping chemical reaction a lot and then he starts taking the burn damage per turn instead of healing, maxing the heal allows him to jump back faster when this happens.

to me the best build for him is 3/5/5 to maximize chemical reaction as a cheap damage power and have sustain. if his PR passive still made the 2 strike tiles at max rank like his 3 star big brother then I would say 5/5/3 like ***daken but since it doesn't and they made them weaker I would max the blue to squeeze as much damage from the bonus strike tile damage on chem reaction as possible.

I don't know about all that but as the general consensus is 5/5/3 i don't think 3/5/5/ should be listed
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Fury can go either 5/5/3 or 3/5/5

5/5/3 is better on offense and 3/5/5 is slightly better on defense.

The only one I would argue is IM40. Assuming you max cover him otherwise 5/5/1 or 5/5/2 the single best build for him in PvP is 5/3/5. Why you may ask? Well since yellow has become a powerhouse, why on earth would you ever want to cast Recharge, also it makes him more viable on defense because the AI which rolls each turn on what ability to cast is less likely to say cast Recharge over Thor's Thunderstrike (I not AI tends to go for damaging moves over utility if they are the same cost). IM40 is a meat shield pure and simple you don't want any of his skills going off, so to ensure that a build of 5/3/5 is the way to go.
    Well then why use him? If you want a HP slab with terrible powers you'll never cast anyway, hulk is right there

agreed, but if he's the feature in PvP you obviously don't have a choice. My experience with the AI has been the lower costed skill will go off a higher % chance of the time. Each turn the AI rolls on what it will do, which is why sometimes when they could cast Call of the Storm, but it is waiting for Sniper Rifle, then they sit at 17 AP for 2-3 turns then unload on you on turn 4 with Call of the Storm anyway, when they could have used it turns before. Here's what I have found true about AI

1.Every turn it rolls to see what ability it could cast and whether or not it will do it, such as above example
    2.If AI could down one of your teammates right now with skill A, or collect a color and wait until next turn to say cast a better skill it will always choose to down the character right away, this has never failed for me, maybe others, but every time the AI could have wiped my team the next turn, but instead blew their load to down my 1000 hitpoint Hood, they will down him, which can be very advantegous for you if you play it right
    3.It priortizes damage skills to non-damage skills. Example. Everytime I run up against Daken/Spiderman in events the AI always uses Chemical Reaction over tied up, anytime I have run up against Pun/Patch it casts Beserker Rage, if it's Mohawks and Black Panthers it casts Mistress of the Elements over Battleplan everytime, I can't say this is 100% true overall, but it is 100% true for me.

So, with that logic, the odds of the AI casting Recharge over a Thunderstrike a very few and far between, but many times when I see IM40 5/5/3 and a Thor, the AI uses Recharge alot, when I see 5/4/4 IM40's and Thor, it tends to be a vast majority Thunderstrike, I don't see any 5/3/5's, but my thought is it further increases my chances of not having the AI cast Recharage and since I have only ever used Ballastic Salvo once in PvE, and I have only ever been hit with it do to massive cascades and/or stuns it never gets used, so from a purely tactical standpoint, I opted to build IM40 in the most PvP friendly way, which is 5/3/5 thus all but ensuring he will not cast Recharge over Thunderstrike or Sacrifice, or Battleplan or any other skill that would be closer in cost to a 5/5/3 or 5/4/4 IM40 than a 5/3/5.

btw. it is fun to use Recharge maxed with X-Force, yes it's slow, but once Recharge goes off it's game over
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    EXPAND VIEW TOPIC REVIEW: BEST BUILDS POST R60
    Re: Best Builds Post R60
    by Phaserhawk » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:00 am

Spoit wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Fury can go either 5/5/3 or 3/5/5

5/5/3 is better on offense and 3/5/5 is slightly better on defense.

The only one I would argue is IM40. Assuming you max cover him otherwise 5/5/1 or 5/5/2 the single best build for him in PvP is 5/3/5. Why you may ask? Well since yellow has become a powerhouse, why on earth would you ever want to cast Recharge, also it makes him more viable on defense because the AI which rolls each turn on what ability to cast is less likely to say cast Recharge over Thor's Thunderstrike (I not AI tends to go for damaging moves over utility if they are the same cost). IM40 is a meat shield pure and simple you don't want any of his skills going off, so to ensure that a build of 5/3/5 is the way to go.

X-Force with recharge? would love to try it but since my IM 40 is 5/3/2 and i don't intend on putting anymore yellow covers in him i don't think ill ever get to. 5/3/5 still sounds weird to me.
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    Added Doc Ock info based on the poll but take it with a grain of salt as he hasn't been officially released yet.
  • copy/paste for **Daken from daken thread

I don't know about all that but as the general consensus is 5/5/3 i don't think 3/5/5/ should be listed

What if you go 4/4/5 instead? I read that this is a viable option as well so you can optimize chemical reaction and still get the strike tiles along with the heal.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I made this post sticky. Also, I added "Best Build" polls to most of the 3* and 4* characters.

I sorted by tile damages, and put in the colors just to make sure there would be no confusion.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have some disagreements with the builds in this post:

Colossus - 5/5/3 - Fastball special is slow and generally inconsistent, his yellow could actually be good in PvE.

2* Daken - 3/5/5 - Copy pasted from my guide:
    Daken - Sustained damage dealer / regen tank (sort of). Now that 2* Daken has his blue covers, he is now viable as a great 2* PvE/PvP option for regen tanking and getting immediate/incremental value off of any green match. However, his tile match strengths moving from green to purple hurts him, as it means that he can't really tank green for your other guys. Surprisingly enough, his blue does a considerable amount of damage at level 5: up to 2k if you have 4 tiles out. Daken is pretty interesting in that there are now multiple ways to play him: you can do the more conservative route of not really focusing on blue and just incidentally pick up the AP and using it at the end of the match to finish a guy off to maximize your strike tiles, or you can be more aggressive with it and cast it multiple times through the match for good damage. Note that Daken gets a lot better if he actually tanks RELEVANT colors for your team: Daken tanking purple is useless if you don't have anywhere to use that purple. Looking at the current 2* roster, the only good characters that Daken can tank for is black for Torch (tanking black for OBW is pointless since you're never matching black to begin with for Daken/OBW), so having Torch on your team greatly increases Daken's usefulness.

Ideal Build: This really depends on what teams you are going to be using Daken in. 5 blue seems like a must since going from 1k damage to 2k damage is a huge upgrade, so it's all a matter of how much you think Daken is tanking. 5/3/5 if you only care about Daken's strike tiles and don't see him tanking much. 3/5/5 if you want Daken to tank a good amount. Note that the only character that has active abilities in black/purple/blue that Daken CAN tank for is Torch black and Daken blue, so if you want to actively use Daken as a tanking machine, the best way to do it is to have Daken be the only blue user on his team, and spam his blue whenever you have enough strike tiles. This type of style doesn't even care about strike tiles that much anyways since it removes them whenever it can, so 3/5/5 is the best build in this case. Note that the difference between 3-4-5 purple is 34-40-46, which isn't all that much if you think about it. You can also go 4/4/5 if you want more of a balanced build, since purple or black don't really need to be at 5 in order to maximize their effectiveness.
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    2* Dakens very tricky to list since their are some people saying that 5/5/3 is the best for the same reasons as LDaken while others think 5/3/5 as strike tiles arent as good as they used to be and 5 blue is very damaging, while others are saying 3/5/5 as his healing is still good at lvl 3. But then you've got people throwing out 4/4/5, 4/5/4, 5/4/4 so I think there needs to be a poll for tiny Daken because right now every build apparently seems to be his best
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I've put up best build polls for both Daken's, and all the 4 and 3 characters.
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    Thanks nonce, i Checked them out and they helped me fix up Colossus and she-hulk. Dakens still being voted on but atm 5/5/3 is the highest voted so the post will stay the same
  • yogi_
    yogi_ Posts: 1,236 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Dakens still being voted on but atm 5/5/3 is the highest voted so the post will stay the same

My hunch for this is because it's the default previous character plus just 3 more reasonably easy to obtain covers, so the default vote. He's also kinda newish, so 5 Blue still won't be widespread.

Polarity's critiques are usually pretty spot on...

On a side note, wouldn't Mod. Storm for general use, be better at 5 black?

Also, NP, you state "Looking at the current 2* roster, the only good characters that Daken can tank for is black for Torch...." If Torch is the sole good character that works well with him in this respect, isn't this a case for only 3 or 4 black for him, given that you might want to use him equally as much in teams without Torch and get slightly better damage tiles? Also, can the argument be made that since every other character needs healing post match, can't Daken just join them (he still heals faster than everyone else)?
  • What is currently the best Storm Classic build? 5/5/3 or 5/4/4?
  • I run 5-4-4 on C-storm. The benefit of five covers in blue is negligible (an extra turn of stun). There are times where that would be useful but I think the effect of higher yellow is better. While I've considered 4-4-5, the benefit of a fifth cover in green is substantial even if I rarely use that power (almost never if I have another green user, and rarely when I don't because the match is over by the time I get that).

On 2 star Daken: he has a lot of different builds for different setups and I don't like that this list does not acknowledge them. I don't think there's a best build that isn't subjective based on your team. That said I think 4-4-5 is the best build due to the (substantial?) gain in a cheap blue attack, whereas you're not losing much in either ability (one more blue on the board to heal, slightly less strike tile damage). Yes, there are two other big blue users in 2 star range (Cstorm and OBW) but Daken's attack has the potential to end a game very quickly. Strike tiles do too, and his healing can give slightly better sustainability but I think 4-4-5 is the way to go. You just aren't getting much for a fifth cover in purple or black. But it depends on what you want out of him, I guess. My point is that, unlike a lot of other characters, one can argue for different builds that suit different needs.
  • I really like 454 for MNMags. I'm much more likely to use his red at 11AP than at 14AP. Blue will most likely be used by someone else, but if he's the last man standing I'd rather have a 3 turn countdown for the boom.