Best Builds

Options

Comments

• I'd argue Fury to 5/5/3 depending.

I generally use Fury in a "Tank buster" lineup for killing Hulks / Capt Marvel or any high health / reactionary target and the stun from having yellow at 4 is awesome. Purple to 5 I think provides utility benefits (no extra damage), but it does get the AP / Strike tile out faster.

Also, Yellow is way more fun to use... FUN > All else.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Fury can go either 5/5/3 or 3/5/5

5/5/3 is better on offense and 3/5/5 is slightly better on defense.

The only one I would argue is IM40. Assuming you max cover him otherwise 5/5/1 or 5/5/2 the single best build for him in PvP is 5/3/5. Why you may ask? Well since yellow has become a powerhouse, why on earth would you ever want to cast Recharge, also it makes him more viable on defense because the AI which rolls each turn on what ability to cast is less likely to say cast Recharge over Thor's Thunderstrike (I not AI tends to go for damaging moves over utility if they are the same cost). IM40 is a meat shield pure and simple you don't want any of his skills going off, so to ensure that a build of 5/3/5 is the way to go.
  • john1620b
    Options
    Most of them look good to me, but here are the ones I disagree on:

Nick Fury = 5/5/3
    The purple countdown is often matched, and even if it's not, the strike tile it generates will often be after 1 or 2 turns. The AP steal is pretty hit-or-miss as well, depending on what the strongest color of the other team is and if they even have any AP, so the benefit you get out of going from 3 -> 5 covers is not super great. I also find the AoE damage for Hulk's part of the yellow ability to be more valuable, and even Widow's stun can be situationally useful depending on who you're fighting.

X-Force = 5/5/3
    Green and black get such huge upgrades for their 5th covers, it's way worth it. Plus, you can still heal for half his health at 3 yellow covers, so it's not like he's going down quickly.

Captain Marvel = 4/5/4
    This one is more of a preference -- her red is pretty useless at 3 covers, but does decent damage at 4. I don't usually pair her with another red user, and I don't find her yellow ability firing all that often on offense, so I'm sticking with 4/5/4 for now. I may switch to 3/5/5 though, if I end up often pairing her with another red user, or she ends up getting hit a lot. She may be especially useful at 3/5/5 if paired with X-Force.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    john1620b wrote:
    Most of them look good to me, but here are the ones I disagree on:

Nick Fury = 5/5/3
    The purple countdown is often matched, and even if it's not, the strike tile it generates will often be after 1 or 2 turns. The AP steal is pretty hit-or-miss as well, depending on what the strongest color of the other team is and if they even have any AP, so the benefit you get out of going from 3 -> 5 covers is not super great. I also find the AoE damage for Hulk's part of the yellow ability to be more valuable, and even Widow's stun can be situationally useful depending on who you're fighting.

X-Force = 5/5/3
    Green and black get such huge upgrades for their 5th covers, it's way worth it. Plus, you can still heal for half his health at 3 yellow covers, so it's not like he's going down quickly.

Captain Marvel = 4/5/4
    This one is more of a preference -- her red is pretty useless at 3 covers, but does decent damage at 4. I don't usually pair her with another red user, and I don't find her yellow ability firing all that often on offense, so I'm sticking with 4/5/4 for now. I may switch to 3/5/5 though, if I end up often pairing her with another red user, or she ends up getting hit a lot. She may be especially useful at 3/5/5 if paired with X-Force.

I can't disagree with your Marvel, but I will say this. 3/5/5 does more damage if you take damage. If you have her set to tank 2 or 3 colors. In 3 triggers she can cast black which vastly outstrips the extra damage you get from damage upgrade in red.
  • themoneymaker
    themoneymaker Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for your responses and helping me make this post more accurate and useful. I have updated fury given that 3/5/5 is also seen as am acceptable build however I have not had time to look into the Wolvie case of 3/5/5 but will probably change it due to 4/5/4 just being my opinion. On the captain Marvel 4/5/4 build, interesting idea but the consensus is still 3/5/5 so I think the post should have that still. On the I'm 40 5/3/5 case I have never read that build and most believe that the ones listed above are the best, I feel like though IM40 has limited potential he would not be maximising it with 5/3/5 so for this reason he's staying the same. Additionally, everyone has different preferences and if I had listed them all this post would just be a compilation of every viable build, not what's considered best
  • X-Force 5/5/3 without a doubt

After a few rounds with good Green supporters I am able to do 20k damage in one cycle and this is only <200 Level

3 yellow is enough (heal half of my health)
  • john1620b
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    I can't disagree with your Marvel, but I will say this. 3/5/5 does more damage if you take damage. If you have her set to tank 2 or 3 colors. In 3 triggers she can cast black which vastly outstrips the extra damage you get from damage upgrade in red.
    Yeah, I did the math to figure out damage-to-AP ratio, and you're right that 3/5/5 does more damage (assuming you get enough black AP to use her black ability). I still hate having a pretty much useless red ability, so I'm sticking with 4/5/4 until I find myself really wanting those extra 3 black AP. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Phaserhawk wrote:

The only one I would argue is IM40. Assuming you max cover him otherwise 5/5/1 or 5/5/2 the single best build for him in PvP is 5/3/5. Why you may ask? Well since yellow has become a powerhouse, why on earth would you ever want to cast Recharge, also it makes him more viable on defense because the AI which rolls each turn on what ability to cast is less likely to say cast Recharge over Thor's Thunderstrike (I not AI tends to go for damaging moves over utility if they are the same cost). IM40 is a meat shield pure and simple you don't want any of his skills going off, so to ensure that a build of 5/3/5 is the way to go.
    Well then why use him? If you want a HP slab with terrible powers you'll never cast anyway, hulk is right there
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

Well then why use him? If you want a HP slab with terrible powers you'll never cast anyway, hulk is right there

I agree I dont see IM40 as a very good meat shield when hulk is available, additionally I've seen the AI hold on to ap to cast a higher levelled power, so while they tend to go for the cheaper power it's not a certainty, IM40 was not intended as a meat shield, I think he was originally intended as a power house that drained ap for his high damage abilities but had a ap generation ability that also had its draw back, so that he wasn't completely Op. but I think d3 stuffed the balancing and we ended up with this mess of a character that no one knows what do with except generate red ap.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:

I agree I dont see IM40 as a very good meat shield when hulk is available, additionally I've seen the AI hold on to ap to cast a higher levelled power, so while they tend to go for the cheaper power it's not a certainty, IM40 was not intended as a meat shield, I think he was originally intended as a power house that drained ap for his high damage abilities but had a ap generation ability that also had its draw back, so that he wasn't completely Op. but I think d3 stuffed the balancing and we ended up with this mess of a character that no one knows what do with except generate red ap.
    Power prices have been generally trending up, and he's still way overcosted!
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    Yea it's a shame. Such wasted potential.
  • mjh
    mjh Posts: 708 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Re: Punisher

5/5/3 has been reported better for pvp
    3/5/5 is better for pve.
    Both are good builds
  • Re: Punisher

3/5/5 is better for pve.
    Both are good builds

No just no.
    5/5/3 is just **** in general.
    If you are using his black it is mostly for the aoe aspect to couple up with strike tiles.

A 78 damage attack tile that take 2 turn to be on board offer literally nothing in term of damage capability. How any one can argue that increasing the damage of the attack tile by 13 (THAT'S RIGHT THIRTEEN, ONE tinykitty THREE) and reducing a cooldown by one worth 2 skill points is just mind blowing.

You have a million factor you also have to consider about the countdown, If it survive 2 turn, if the attack tiles will stay on board. In, pvp you will want to win the fight as fast as possible, having a character that rely on countdown attack tile is just stupid when you can reserve him to have a super useful nuke against high scaling pve.
  • MarcusGraves
    MarcusGraves Posts: 495 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Justdangit wrote:

3/5/5 is better for pve.
    Both are good builds

No just no.
    5/5/3 is just tinykitty in general.
    If you are using his black it is mostly for the aoe aspect to couple up with strike tiles.

A 78 damage attack tile that take 2 turn to be on board offer literally nothing in term of damage capability. How any one can argue that increasing the damage of the attack tile by 13 (THAT'S RIGHT THIRTEEN, ONE tinykitty THREE) and reducing a cooldown by one worth 2 skill points is just mind blowing.

You have a million factor you also have to consider about the countdown, If it survive 2 turn, if the attack tiles will stay on board. In, pvp you will want to win the fight as fast as possible, having a character that rely on countdown attack tile is just stupid when you can reserve him to have a super useful nuke against high scaling pve.

the punisher 5/5/3 vs 3/5/5 debate has been argued to death, either build is correct and boils down to preference since both have their own pros and cons. if you wanna cap some fatties 3/5/5, if you wanna focus on team damage and wearing the enemy down then 5/5/3.

but we can all agree please please guys don't do 4/5/4 on a punisher like I see some people do...
  • Unknown
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Justdangit wrote:

3/5/5 is better for pve.
    Both are good builds

No just no.
    5/5/3 is just tinykitty in general.

the punisher 5/5/3 vs 3/5/5 debate has been argued to death, either build is correct and boils down to preference since both have their own pros and cons. if you wanna cap some fatties 3/5/5, if you wanna focus on team damage and wearing the enemy down then 5/5/3.

but we can all agree please please guys don't do 4/5/4 on a punisher like I see some people do...

If you want to focus team damage you would still go 355 cause 5 in black still isn't worth it (removing blatant attempt to avoid filter)
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5 in black doesn't increase team damage from the initial cast of black, but it does mean you're more likely to get attack tiles out. I've recently respec'ed from 5/5/3 to 3/5/5 and before the respec, I'd pretty consistently have attack tiles out after moltov. Since then? Not so much. Yes, it's anecdotal, no, I don't have any numbers to back me up, but I have noticed the trend. Attack tile damage adds up, especially paired with strike tile damage. They are both valid builds, just choose the one that suits your playstyle best.
  • nimvin
    Options
    mags1587 wrote:
    ... Attack tile damage adds up, especially paired with strike tile damage. ....

Correct me if im wrong but i'm pretty sure attack tiles don't benefit from strike tiles. I tried with daken/mstorm and it didn't anyhow. Which i would have loved to work btw. Lol.
  • Orangecrush
    Options
    nimvin wrote:
    mags1587 wrote:

Correct me if im wrong but i'm pretty sure attack tiles don't benefit from strike tiles. I tried with daken/mstorm and it didn't anyhow. Which i would have loved to work btw. Lol.
    I am pretty sure they do, but it only counts once, so the effect on storm isn't crazy.
  • themoneymaker
    Options
    Can someone help me with the Colossus build I saw a lot tossed around and I know it's probably a little early to be discussing his best build but I did see some mentions of 4/5/4 and 5/5/3 can anyone say whether these are valid or if they know a better build.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Options
    nimvin wrote:
    mags1587 wrote:

I am pretty sure they do, but it only counts once, so the effect on storm isn't crazy.
    This.

Strike tiles do effect attack tile damage but the attack tile damage is totalled before the damage bonus is applied as far as I'm aware. It's pretty easy to see with someone like Psylocke where you can get one strike tile down and one attack tile down and then add one of either to see what the effect is.