How the Hulk scoring system works ?

Options

Comments

• Misguided wrote:
    repeat this 2 more times.

And that wasn't even necessary. I'm pretty sure I'm going to squeak past 50k and I did very little grinding missions to zero once, let alone twice or three times. I *did* do a little bit extra this morning to push my rank up this morning, because the post Nemek made yesterday about wanting your rank as high as possible at the last checkpoint made a lot of sense, but I still had points left on the table then too.

I think you had a somewhat higher score than I did at the end of the last sub mission group -- I had somewhere right around 49550 points -- give or take 25 points in either direction. I've completed these last missions now and have 49969 (as I expected, the remaining missions went down in points even though they were showing slightly higher, so I'm 31 points off, not 7) at #64. Without a refresh I won't get Punisher... and that's ok.

Unless there's a refresh then only about 50 people will get over 50k. Which seems a bit odd, but meh.

Overall I think the rubber banding on this one is better than any previous PvE event. It let people grind if they wanted, but it also meant that if you didn't want to you could make up most of the points. I ranged anywhere from #2 to #3000 throughout the event, ending each sub mission in the top 300. So it seems about right.

Now I'd like to take the devs out for a long, long discussion on the PvP scoring... grumble.
  • What should have happened is with one day left, the game should calculate the minimum progression points you ought to have before the last sub-bracket event ends to ensure you'll hit the max progression reward, and have it displayed prominently. In this event I'm guessing you need 49.6K points before the last sub-bracket ends and knowing that ahead of time would've helped a lot.
  • Zathrus wrote:
    I think you had a somewhat higher score than I did at the end of the last sub mission group -- I had somewhere right around 49550 points -- give or take 25 points in either direction. I've completed these last missions now and have 49969 (as I expected, the remaining missions went down in points even though they were showing slightly higher, so I'm 31 points off, not 7) at #64. Without a refresh I won't get Punisher... and that's ok.

Unless there's a refresh then only about 50 people will get over 50k. Which seems a bit odd, but meh.

Overall I think the rubber banding on this one is better than any previous PvE event. It let people grind if they wanted, but it also meant that if you didn't want to you could make up most of the points. I ranged anywhere from #2 to #3000 throughout the event, ending each sub mission in the top 300. So it seems about right.

I agree, I think the rubberbanding in this event was very well done. I think the end was also very well done. If the average point score was just bumped another 500 or so, it'd be perfect.
  • I really think they wanted more people to hit the 50k. They just miscalculated a little on the rubber banding. I think the wheels fell off when we had 4 sub missions going at once while most people were trying to spend time with their families and therefore didn't grind out all the points leaving us a little short of our goal at the end. I don't think they wanted 50k people to get Pun, but I do think they expected top 3 or 4000 to hit it. Maybe they will feel bad about that and all of us over 40k will get a nice free Pun cover in our mailbox in the morning. From my keyboard to IceIX's ears
  • the moose wrote:
    I really think they wanted more people to hit the 50k. They just miscalculated a little on the rubber banding. I think the wheels fell off when we had 4 sub missions going at once while most people were trying to spend time with their families and therefore didn't grind out all the points leaving us a little short of our goal at the end. I don't think they wanted 50k people to get Pun, but I do think they expected top 3 or 4000 to hit it. Maybe they will feel bad about that and all of us over 40k will get a nice free Pun cover in our mailbox in the morning. From my keyboard to IceIX's ears

This could also be an option opposed to what I said in other thread. I did not farm the last set of missions down at all in expectancy of farmable missions for last however many hours. Those points left sitting could have been the 50k difference. Another community loss due to lack of communication on a flawed yet improving ( though barely) score system?
  • What do you think about only doing progression awards in PvE and leaving ladders to PvP. This would allow you to play through at your own pace, no need for rubber-banding.
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    I've got 49938 points right now, and I've done all the "Search and Destroy" missions. "Send Osborn a Message" is offering me 59 points right now, and if I do it right this minute, I'll have 49997.

"Message Recieved" opens up when I beat that one, right? Is it worth points? I still kind of want to wait for this mission to go up to 62 points, though. Just so I can have exactly 50000 icon_razz.gif
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:
    I've got 49938 points right now, and I've done all the "Search and Destroy" missions. "Send Osborn a Message" is offering me 59 points right now, and if I do it right this minute, I'll have 49997.

"Message Recieved" opens up when I beat that one, right? Is it worth points? I still kind of want to wait for this mission to go up to 62 points, though. Just so I can have exactly 50000 icon_razz.gif

You are correct, and beating "message received" opens the last one, "the final showdown".
    All of them offered points for me.
    Probably will push you to top 10 icon_e_smile.gif
    I don't think your mission will go up anymore unless there is a new leader.
  • Kelbris
    Options
    eidehua wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:

"Message Recieved" opens up when I beat that one, right? Is it worth points? I still kind of want to wait for this mission to go up to 62 points, though. Just so I can have exactly 50000 :P

You are correct, and beating "message received" opens the last one, "the final showdown".
    Probably will push you to top 10 :)

Does it only base it off of who's in first? I thought it had to do with how many people were ahead of you.
  • Kelbris wrote:

You're golden -- you'll get roughly the same number of points from the 2 missions after Message as you do for Message itself (I got 100, 99, 99).
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kelbris wrote:
    eidehua wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:

Does it only base it off of who's in first? I thought it had to do with how many people were ahead of you.
    Fairly sure it is, considering my missions have stopped gaining points ever since the current guy at the top. (And of course I've been dropping)
    I guess beforehand the top guy kept rising as others are rising, so it would seem dropping in rank = rubberbanding.
  • Kelbris wrote:
    eidehua wrote:
    Kelbris wrote:

Not certain myself but I think he means the gap between you and the leader is what mainly accounts for the rubber banding. You may be dropping spots bc others have leapfroged you but the gap in pts between you and leaderboard has not changed. I went from 64 to 184 and my last 2 mission pts never changed.
  • Rubberbanding is based on your position from the top. And the top is mostly settled. I was #5 a few hours ago and now I'm #6. There's very little movement at the very top which means there's very little rubberbanding left.

I think this event was the best done of all the events. If you were towards the top of the main bracket at the end of each set of sub-events, you were able to finish at the top of the main event. Grinding only helped within a sub-bracket. And if you're finishing at the top of the main brackets, chances are, like me, you started falling out of the top rewards in the last few sub-events (I dropped from Gamma to Heroic roughly and then finished Heroic/1x standard in the last two sub-events).
  • jozier wrote:
    Rubberbanding is based on your position from the top. And the top is mostly settled. I was #5 a few hours ago and now I'm #6. There's very little movement at the very top which means there's very little rubberbanding left.

I think this event was the best done of all the events. If you were towards the top of the main bracket at the end of each set of sub-events, you were able to finish at the top of the main event. Grinding only helped within a sub-bracket. And if you're finishing at the top of the main brackets, chances are, like me, you started falling out of the top rewards in the last few sub-events (I dropped from Gamma to Heroic roughly and then finished Heroic/1x standard in the last two sub-events).

Or you were in top 300 all event and now are in top 2000 because the last sub set was the only 1 you did NOT grind and therefore it seems the exact same as every other event.
  • jozier wrote:
    Rubberbanding is based on your position from the top. And the top is mostly settled. I was #5 a few hours ago and now I'm #6. There's very little movement at the very top which means there's very little rubberbanding left.

I noticed the same steady drop-off in my sub-event placement as the event wore on. Hit the same Heroic/1xStandard marks that you did, and took it as a good sign. Also, this makes sense from a fairness perspective - those placing highly in the main shouldn't be able to suck up all the sub awards too.
  • Well, finished with 50050 points, and am currently in 20th place. I am off to bed, I am pretty sure when I wake up I will finish 1000-1500 but all I care about is the 3 Hulk covers...Good luck everyone!
  • Kelbris
    Options
    jozier wrote:

Or you were in top 300 all event and now are in top 2000 because the last sub set was the only 1 you did NOT grind and therefore it seems the exact same as every other event.

What? You kept yourself top 300 for that long? Why? What the hell did that serve? You WANTED to be in the top 2000 before today! It meant the hardest mission in the sub-missions woulda given you 1000+ points!

Ugh. Why don't people think? Hang out in the 2k-3k range til the last couple days and then grind ****. It's the same as The Hunt.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing multiple times and expecting different outcomes.
  • Kelbris
    Options
    jozier wrote:

I noticed the same steady drop-off in my sub-event placement as the event wore on. Hit the same Heroic/1xStandard marks that you did, and took it as a good sign. Also, this makes sense from a fairness perspective - those placing highly in the main shouldn't be able to suck up all the sub awards too.

The last two missions, I got top 600 in one, and like top 1800 in the other. Didn't even get a standard token in Amazon. (Or whatever the lower points one was.)

If I finish The Final Showdown right now, I'll be tied with you for #8.

I AM NOT OKAY WITH THAT

SOMEONE RUBBERBAND ME A POINT PLS
  • windfallstar
    Options
    Well, looks like I'm definitely out of top 1500 now. Definitely bummed that I'm not going to get 3 hulk covers, but I'm pretty happy with my overall performance since I consider this my first event.
  • Kelbris wrote:

The last two missions, I got top 600 in one, and like top 1800 in the other. Didn't even get a standard token in Amazon. (Or whatever the lower points one was.)

If I finish The Final Showdown right now, I'll be tied with you for #8.

I AM NOT OKAY WITH THAT

SOMEONE RUBBERBAND ME A POINT PLS

I think you'd bump me down to #9 based on you completing it more recently? I think that's how it worked in the subs?

Half of me says "well played event, sir - I'd be fine with dropping a spot for you!"

The other half says "I hope Juggs cascades a mountain of red on you and yours!"

Let's go with the former. icon_razz.gif