How the Hulk scoring system works ?

Options

Comments

• Kelbris wrote:

I noticed the same steady drop-off in my sub-event placement as the event wore on. Hit the same Heroic/1xStandard marks that you did, and took it as a good sign. Also, this makes sense from a fairness perspective - those placing highly in the main shouldn't be able to suck up all the sub awards too.

The last two missions, I got top 600 in one, and like top 1800 in the other. Didn't even get a standard token in Amazon. (Or whatever the lower points one was.)

If I finish The Final Showdown right now, I'll be tied with you for #8.

I AM NOT OKAY WITH THAT

SOMEONE RUBBERBAND ME A POINT PLS

I think you'd bump me down to #9 based on you completing it more recently? I think that's how it worked in the subs?

Half of me says "well played event, sir - I'd be fine with dropping a spot for you!"

The other half says "I hope Juggs cascades a mountain of red on you and yours!"

Let's go with the former. icon_razz.gif

I'll still beat both of you icon_e_wink.gif
  • Screw you guys, I don't wanna drop from top 10! icon_cry.gif
  • AdamMagus
    AdamMagus Posts: 363 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Am done, 49,880 and #173, hopefully I stay in the top 1500 when it's over...
  • Done with 49,679 and in 527th. Also hoping to cling to top 1500. With the end time being 5am my time I'm glad I don't have to play anymore. This was a great event and I thank rubber banding for allowing me to enjoy my holidays icon_e_smile.gif.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Holy tiny tiny kitties, I beat the Final showdown with 61 wolvie, 15 punisher, and 18 black widow. Was a second too late to screen cap the victory, quite mad about that.

Quite an intense match. I used +3 all and +3 blue/pure and +20% DMG dark avenger boosts. First I focused rag, denying all red and green (he did not pull off any of his skills), saving up red while using green when I could. I was able to kill him without using widow's stun. Unfortunately at this point Venom got 12 black, so I had to stun him. Decided to focus him next, as he had a special ready after stun was over. Wasn't able to kill Venom before stun wore off, but managed to just get enough ap for aggressive recon, so I was able to steal 4 of all ap besides purple. This was enough time to kill him right on the turn he got enough for devour again. Finally only juggs left. I had 25 red ap, but couldn't kill him with two Wolverine red abilities. So I just farmed for some green, and created more strike tiles, then ended him. Crazy battle.

By the end, only wolvie was damaged (and only slightly).
    So yea black widow was very important. Punisher, not at all. His 20% take down DMG could not match the DMG I was doing with all my strike tiles lol.

Ended with 49857 points. Currently at rank 209. Hope I stay in top 300 icon_e_smile.gif
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'll give it to the top of the hour, and if they don't replenish, just going to finish off the rest of the missions and go to sleep, rather than worrying about potential ties
  • I have no idea whats going to happen, but I'm glad I don't have the face the trauma of overleveled Ragnarok for a while.
  • I have no idea whats going to happen, but I'm glad I don't have the face the trauma of overleveled Ragnarok for a while.

Until the next event, lol. I gotta level Magneto up some more.
  • Played everything out now, couldn't beat the last mission with my Level 61 Thor and Wolvie and level 15 Punisher, and I'm sitting about 140th place and 83 points shy of 50,000.
    Will try again but even if I miraculously beat it I'll still be 8 points shy of 50,000 as it's only giving me 75 for the last mission.
    Oh well fingers crossed for a top 300 finish which was my aim all week.
    Shame to miss the Punisher cover but I gained so much else this week that it's been well worth the time.
  • Eddiemon
    Eddiemon Posts: 1,470 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    56 minutes left, nothing has refreshed. Time to grind out the rewards.

For those of you less than a hundred from punisher, it may be worthwhile to start a mission as the event ends. It may treat it as a new mission on a new board and give you the bonus points you need.

I've never been borderline enough to test it out
  • Kelbris
    Kelbris Posts: 1,051
    Options
    The other half says "I hope Juggs cascades a mountain of red on you and yours!"

Nope.

RG6B0Nj.jpg
  • Grrrr.

Left the last missions until this morning, reached the last one, and I had enough points to reach 50,000.

What I'd forgotten is that the points were showing based on my old ranking.

I'm now sitting on 49,995 points and no more missions to run.

Grrrr.
  • KidInsomnia
    Options
    eidehua wrote:
    Holy tiny tiny kitties, I beat the Final showdown with 61 wolvie, 15 punisher, and 18 black widow. Was a second too late to screen cap the victory, quite mad about that.

Quite an intense match. I used +3 all and +3 blue/pure and +20% DMG dark avenger boosts. First I focused rag, denying all red and green (he did not pull off any of his skills), saving up red while using green when I could. I was able to kill him without using widow's stun. Unfortunately at this point Venom got 12 black, so I had to stun him. Decided to focus him next, as he had a special ready after stun was over. Wasn't able to kill Venom before stun wore off, but managed to just get enough ap for aggressive recon, so I was able to steal 4 of all ap besides purple. This was enough time to kill him right on the turn he got enough for devour again. Finally only juggs left. I had 25 red ap, but couldn't kill him with two Wolverine red abilities. So I just farmed for some green, and created more strike tiles, then ended him. Crazy battle.

By the end, only wolvie was damaged (and only slightly).
    So yea black widow was very important. Punisher, not at all. His 20% take down DMG could not match the DMG I was doing with all my strike tiles lol.

Ended with 49857 points. Currently at rank 209. Hope I stay in top 300 icon_e_smile.gif

Dude, THANK YOU FOR THIS.

Just tried the same boosts with a 72 Wolvie, 20 Frank, and a 37 Widow. Unbelievable. I'm at 1052. I can't believe it.

SO lucky. Venom was sitting on more than enough Black to use Devour on me but didn't. Maybe he was waiting for more web tiles? Who knows. Thanks, Mac. ;D

Also, managed to get Frank to eat the one Headbutt Juggs managed.

WOW. WOW. WOW.
  • #306 with 24 minutes left.

Will I drop >1k places?

Who the **** knows?

The stress is killing me.

This **** game.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Hurray!
    I didn't reach 50k, but at least I beat The Final Showdown on my 4th try. icon_e_biggrin.gif

Nothing clever; L137 Grey Widow + L85 Thor + L15 Punisher - successfully gobbled up all the green & red, board landed perfectly a few times off Sniper Shot, Mjolnir's Might and Thunder Strike.
    Suspect it still would have had a diffferent outcome if The Punisher hadn't been able to step in front of Devour thanks to having 1 environmental tile match on the board, which was literally the only possible move that could shield my damage-dealers.

Has moved me from 1562 to 1152 - not going to count my chickens, but really hope that heroic victory will keep me up 20 minutes for the extra Hulk cover... icon_cool.gif

Update: 20 minutes later

Woo hoo - a full set of Hulk cover for me!
  • Top 1500 finish!

I'm unspeakably happy.

Can't stay too mad about barely missing 50k.

The incredible stress is now relieved.

4 total Hulk covers!
  • I watched the slow, inexorable decline of my ranking... only to be stopped magically by time. I finished as #300. I think if the event had gone on about 5 more minutes, I would have been out of the top. What a weird thing to stress about.

Now I "win" a 4* Wolvie cover that may never see another upgrade! Hurah! Well... Hulky is pretty statted out. Never did get that last 121 points and a Red Punisher cover, but whatever, this was a really fun event from start to thrilling finish and I got so much ISO out of this it isn't even funny. My Punisher is level 70... all from tokens and ISO from this event. Heck of a thing.
  • Nemek wrote:
    Do people like this rubber banding system?

Or are they just wrapped up in how to game it and aren't thinking how ridiculous it is?

Maybe sports should do this. Let's play basketball and if I get up by 10, the baskets I make will count for you until we are tied. Then if there are 2 minutes left in the qtr my baskets count twice as much but you aren't allowed to play. Then the scoreboard turns off.

I'm on the fence about it, overall. You may not have been around for the first PvE event, but there wasn't any rubberbanding in it - the formula was pretty simple - the person who grinded the most won the top spot.

We often 'blame' Polkio for it (where IS Polkio?!), since he and his wife were playing for what must have been 6 hours a day (which, at the time, seemed pretty unbelievable...but sadly, not as much anymore), and absolutely demolished the field. But, we really don't know if his run-up was even close to the reason why rubber banding was implemented.

So, why did it change? And is it for the better? Here are my thoughts...

Why rubber banding is better:
    • You don't need to play constantly to win. I think there was probably a concern about people playing TOO much. Burn-out on a game isn't an unreasonable notion, and if you're "forcing" players to play ridiculous amounts of time for (relatively) small rewards, you're just forcing them to quit. Since the top players are likely the ones that spent the most money and most likely to really grind, they'll likely be the first people burnt out.
    • More strategy, less brute force. MPQ is, after all, a strategy game. The developers are geeks that like the idea of smart plays being key to victory and figuring things out as events play out should be a goal for any player.
    • It's more accessible to the average or low-level player (99% of the playerbase). Generally, a player likely only has a couple of hours a day to really devote to MPQ (and that's a hardcore player!), due to work/school/family/sleep. Having missions refresh every 8/10/12 hours (or whatever it is), means somebody could play an hour before work and then an hour before bed, and still be pretty close with the rest of the pack.

Why rubber banding is worse:
    • Rubber banding is SUPER time-of-day dependent. To play optimally, there are a couple of very important times you need to be playing, much like the regular PvP tournaments. If you don't realize what those times of day are or have other life obligations, then you could be screwed. This is probably my biggest gripe.
    • It's not intuitive to people that don't spend a lot of time reading the forums (either for patch notes or for other player input.) This leads to quite the vocal reaction we see on these forums when these events end.
    • Related to the above point, if you don't know the system well, you can be falsely led to believe you're doing better than you are. At any point during a rubber banded event, you could be in 1st place for the entire thing. But...are you really truly the statistically most likely person to finish 1st based on that? No...probably not. But, some people believe it and then feel cheated later on.

Overall, I think rubber banding is a better system, as controversial as it is on this forum. But, I can see the allure in dumbing down the system just for the sake of reducing the amount of complaints. Because, after all, if enough people complain and leave the game...then there isn't a a game anymore, anyway...no matter how good the system really is.

Great post.
  • Couldn't agree more, great post that one, to go with another Nemek gem on page 18 - the one that advised that it would be beneficial to ensure that you started the last segment in the top 300 preferably. I was going to hang back and see what the last 12 hours brought, but having read his post I thought it might be an idea to play a little before the last sub missions closed. I am sure glad that I grinded out some points to move into the top 300, whilst supping beer at the pub lol.

Not only did it ensure that I stayed top 300 (finished #37), but I crept over 50000 as well. Thanks Nemek icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • The Ladder wrote:
    Not only did it ensure that I stayed top 300 (finished #37), but I crept over 50000 as well. Thanks Nemek icon_e_biggrin.gif

So we're blaming Nemek now? Cool!

I'm pretty sure I exhausted all of my points in the last sub missions; there were some left on the table in previous ones simply due to time. Ah well. Still lots of fun, lots of ISO, and I did end up in the top 300. My X-Farce Wolverine is now 1/1/1!

And I continue to be far more unhappy about the broken PvP scoring.