Patch R58 Discussion - Live 7/29

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    I'm not sure I understood how you can use the Team Up ?

Is it a "fixed" ability like a cover that you win/buy once and for all, and use indefinitely

or

Is it a "one time play" thing like boosts that you buy for each match ?

or

a combination of both (you first have to unlock the ability and then pay to use it per match)

Also, does the Team Up work for defensive battles ? We have yet to see how the AI handles the Team-Up thing.

If it's something you have to "buy/pay for", that will add costs to the game which is already very expensive. X-Men will go even further than what they currently do.

I'm curious and concerned.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Pylgrim wrote:
    Storm... M.Storm nerfed, Mohawk buffed. I've been using her (m.Storm) still to this day, and this is where she finally gets retired. I suppose this forces people to "upgrade" to the gold version, but I have few covers for her and not in a hurry to obtain them.

It's the other way around. M. Storm got her damage buffed quite a bit (though the ability cost cannot be reduced now), which may or may not even with the damage she was getting from destroying ALL tiles. Mohawk's damage was slightly nerfed (in addition to the lowered tile destruction, obviously)
    Disagree. Who cares about damage on a 1-star once you get Thor/Wolvie/Ares and beyond? I have gold Thor and numerous other 3-stars, yet I still use m.Storm for her utility. That is now gone (or at least replaced by Mohawk). As for Mohawk, the buff I refer to revolves around my implication that TU > env. Mohawk in the past never truly replaced m.Storm because her Elements @5 AP was too good. Now they are more homogeneous and there's little point to run m.Storm when you can use Mohawk.

@regarding assists: I didn't mean to sound like you used your own cards, hence why I compared it to mvc1 and not mvc2 or mvc3. It does sound like you'll have to collect them separately, but imo I don't see why they'd go through the trouble of making new abilities when they can just reuse old ones. I mean, you're talking about a dev team that makes gold aka "lazy" characters. And of course they'll also jump at the idea of being able to sell new cards too rather than people already owning them. It still sounds like a great idea though.
  • Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My best guess on how team ups will work.

They will be drops for winning a match and similar to boosts once you have acquired the power you can reload it for ISO or hp.
    The offensive player chooses what the team up tile will be for the match. It won't pick up the last choice of the defensive team. Unless perhaps the offensive player declines to activate a team up tile which would be interesting.
    It seems like you will not be able to choose a team up tile from any of the active characters in the match.
    The level of the team up will be set to the value of the power on your roster. Again Opening interesting strategy choices. Since fury blue and yellow are options I might choose those when playing someone without fury
    The cost to go off will be the same as the ability so fury blue will cost nine team up ap

That's my best guess based on what was in the preview video. We will know for sure on Tuesday
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    From previous posts from The Dev's they were working on a system like Clash of Clans where you can donate troops for a match. I think the team up will be similar. I think it will be alliance based and you can use an ability that someone from your alliance has. I would imagine the power level would go off of you buffed characters level for damage. If this is a boost then it is making very little impact until you can build them up to be useful. If you have the option to not boost the team up then you have dead tiles on the board. I wonder if the team up tiles are going to do damage as well? I think the boost you will see is an AP generation for team tiles. Also I wonder if the team up power will be set or based off of the powers AP ability?
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    scottee wrote:
    We don't know how much the increase is, but everyone is pretty sure that team-up AP will be more useful than environmental AP.
    Depends on the evironment and what borrowed skills we have access to. It'd have to be something pretty special to make me not miss firing off a double oasis.
  • Unknown
    Options
    A post from april in S&F
    http://www.d3pforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5787&p=106245

Sounds delightfully familiar while being its own thing entirely, combined with ever present call for them to 'fix' environments, and the addition of deadpool, I might just be able to give them credit for listening like they are always claiming they do. Interesting times can't wait to see how it plays out
  • Unknown
    Options
    My best guess on how team ups will work.

They will be drops for winning a match and similar to boosts once you have acquired the power you can reload it for ISO or hp.
    The offensive player chooses what the team up tile will be for the match. It won't pick up the last choice of the defensive team. Unless perhaps the offensive player declines to activate a team up tile which would be interesting.
    It seems like you will not be able to choose a team up tile from any of the active characters in the match.
    The level of the team up will be set to the value of the power on your roster. Again Opening interesting strategy choices. Since fury blue and yellow are options I might choose those when playing someone without fury
    The cost to go off will be the same as the ability so fury blue will cost nine team up ap

That's my best guess based on what was in the preview video. We will know for sure on Tuesday

After scrutinizing the video, I'm reaching the same conclusions.

-- The player appears to pick from a list of options based upon the characters not in the active roster in the upcoming fight. Not all abilities are available as a Team-Up.
    -- Team-Ups are consumables, like boosts. In the video, the player held five of each of the team-up boosts shown.
    -- The power of the team-up appears to be based upon the actual/effective level of the character in the player's roster/event at the time of the match. Underleveled/Undercovered characters will make for poor-team ups. (Another nod to forced roster diversity/investment here)
    -- The selected ability is suggested to cost the same as the character's actual ability, using Team-Up (White) AP instead of the character's normal color for an ability.
    -- In the video, the player only has one Team-Up equipped, but in the SDCC MPQ Interview, the devs specifically present a situation where three Team-Ups are used in the same fight (perhaps using the 3 boost slots before each fight?)

Unknown: Because team-ups are consumables, are they distributed evenly or are 4****s (Fury) quite rare, while 2** Team-Ups drop as commonly a Bagman?

Also, the dreaded question mentioned above: Can they be purchased with ISO/HP once "unlocked" and depleted like boosts? [ The likely answer is "YES". I'm betting on ISO for 2**s, with HP for 3*** and 4****s]
  • DirigiblePilot
    DirigiblePilot Posts: 392 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Here's a question: What if you take a Team-Up into a battle, then find that you have such awesome luck with good color matches that you don't need the powerful Team-Up ability you were originally planning to use. Is your token(?) refunded, or have you lost it without getting any benefit from it?
    Boosts are always consumed, but that is because they ALWAYS provide a benefit- +match damage or AP at the start of the battle. There is no condition needed to "trigger" it (well, I guess there is with match damage, but why would you ever bring one in if you weren't planning to match those colors?).
    I should hope that your token will be refunded, but I kinda have a feeling that it won't be.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Here's a question: What if you take a Team-Up into a battle, then find that you have such awesome luck with good color matches that you don't need the powerful Team-Up ability you were originally planning to use. Is your token(?) refunded, or have you lost it without getting any benefit from it?
    Boosts are always consumed, but that is because they ALWAYS provide a benefit- +match damage or AP at the start of the battle. There is no condition needed to "trigger" it (well, I guess there is with match damage, but why would you ever bring one in if you weren't planning to match those colors?).
    I should hope that your token will be refunded, but I kinda have a feeling that it won't be.

That is the big mystery indeed...
    Are Team-Ups depleted even if you don't activate them during the match?
    Are Team-Ups depleted only if you use them 1-or-more times in a match?
    Are Team-Ups depleted only if you use them, but deplete each time you use them? (So if you spam a power you can use 5 Team-Ups in 1 match.)

I will try to remain optimistic that Team-Up's will drop like candy & not just be used by PvE foes in order to reach unparalleled heights of health-pack-burning match-rigging.
    Oh R58, don't bring us woe...
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So if you dont use any teamups, then teamup ap just straight up does nothing for the duration of the match? While env ap functioned in a similar way in **** environmenta, it still feels bad when a tile on a given board just deliberately doesnt do anything, when it at least had the illusion of doing something in the past.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 419 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So if you dont use any teamups, then teamup ap just straight up does nothing for the duration of the match? While env ap functioned in a similar way in **** environmenta, it still feels bad when a tile on a given board just deliberately doesnt do anything, when it at least had the illusion of doing something in the past.

It depends if the old environmental tile strength stat was removed or morphed into a Team-Up tile damage stat - matches could be worth something then...

Will rather alter the tempo of the AI if they stop prioritizing colourless tiles as they do now, because they are aware they have no use for them.
  • Unknown
    Options
    The enemy can use your team up so they will have a use for team up ap.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm glad that you guys decided to skip R57.

It sounded awful.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    To head it off at the pass, yes yes, long time no see, where have you been, etc etc.

Been working on (among other smaller stuff):
    - Getting R58 ready (Yes, we skipped R57. It would have had all the baseline stuff in place for Deadpool)
    - Getting a 19 page Powerpoint and associated presentation ready for SDCC that got cut down to 4 and a bit of blurbs. Ahh well, announcement still happened!
    - Working on a bunch of baseline back end stuff for other things that won't be coming for months but required lots and lots of communication with first parties

So yeah. Haven't been around forums much, but you may have seen me in-game at least. I know I beat up Dayv early on in Sentry's PVP.

In any case, sitting here with a debug version in front of me and available to answer any questions for the next few hours.

Some general stuff about Team-Ups:
      - They currently work off of defeating any opponent. There is a chance post battle for that opponent to "drop" an applicable move for you to use at the level of that opponent. - Only certain moves can be used as Team-Ups. For the most part, it's anything that's not a Passive. - Team-Ups are usable only once, then they go away. Think Boosts in how they equip, but if you equip a Team-Up but don't use it in that battle, it stays. - Team-Up abilities can only be used once in that battle, so no spamming Magneto's abilities using it. - Team-Up AP works exactly like normal AP in that you gain one point per match. - Team-UP AP matches also work the same as other matches as well in that they actually deal damage. So no more trying to entice the enemy to match EO tiles to avoid getting hit. On the upside, no more getting left with EO tiles and not being able to actually hit the opponent. - Enemy teams can have Team-Ups just like you can.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
      - They currently work off of defeating any opponent. There is a chance post battle for that opponent to "drop" an applicable move for you to use at the level of that opponent.
    Finally an upside to 395 juggernauts? icon_lol.gif

What happens to high enviro characters like punisher?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Ice, hello again!
    So, what about cMags? I may get as grey as he while anticipating the nerfhammer!
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    locked wrote:
    Ice, hello again!
    So, what about cMags? I may get as grey as he while anticipating the nerfhammer!
    Hawkeye Modern is next. Took a look on Friday at his planned updated skillset. Current plan is less randomness in placement and no more Avoid getting in the way when you actually *want* Hawkeye to take a hit.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    I am feeling my hair go grey!! But then again maybe my maxed Hawkeye will feel like an Avenger at last.
  • TheHueyFreeman
    TheHueyFreeman Posts: 472 Mover and Shaker
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Spoit wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
      - They currently work off of defeating any opponent. There is a chance post battle for that opponent to "drop" an applicable move for you to use at the level of that opponent.
    Finally an upside to 395 juggernauts? icon_lol.gif

What happens to high enviro characters like punisher?

This makes a good point. Will that apply to PvE opponents?
    Also, are you allowed to tell us the chance of drops?
  • Unknown
    Options
    Guess I better ask something before you're sent back to the dungeon eh..

When you say enemy teams can have Team-Ups as well, is this for both PvE and PvP? If it's for PvP as well, will the Team-Up apply when my team is on defense if I used it up in my last match? Or will I have to fight a match without using the Team-Up in order to have it on defense?