Upcoming Change: Character Level Shift

Options

Comments

• Unknown
    Options
    R56 just went live, without this level increase yet.

Though they nerfed mStorm, unannounced, as usual, in middle of tournament the character is important, as usual.
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:

Though they nerfed mStorm, unannounced, as usual, in middle of tournament the character is important, as usual.

Wait, what'd they do to mStorm?
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Options
    Her red now costs 9 even when maxed, same as Mororo.
    I guess that's how they balance Jungle and Desert?..
  • Unknown
    Options
    pasa_ wrote:

Apparently they made her red cost more AP at higher levels, but I don't know about it myself.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I'm way less motivated to bother updating my tools now that they nerfed mstorm. I'm feeling less and less like this is a game I should even encourage others to play by maintaining my roster tools (despite my decision to quit). It really seems like EVERY decision these devs make is to increase revenue, and any characters that allow players to play for fun without constant micro-transactions get nerfed.
  • Bloody Sky
    Options
    vetheran wrote:
    BTW, for anyone interested, Puzzle Quest 1 and 2 are both on sale for $5 in the steam summer sale. Unlike this game, those are both finished products that you can pickup and play whenever you want and don't have constant changes to screw you over.
    For the love of... Do NOT pick those up, it's a trap! I've tried PQ2 and the AI is infuriatingly hard. You will cry.
    Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (AKA Puzzle Quest 1) is the best Puzzle Quest game out there, in my opinion. PQ1 is the best, while the others just don't live up. Galactrix I won't even talk about (was fun at first but then got horribly boring with all the gates). Puzzle Quest 2 is fun, but I disliked how all the enemies level scaled with you. So even beginning enemies (like a rat, for example) would be the same level as your character. If you were 50, so would be the rats. Sure, they had weak starter abilities, but they would have a lot of health. Making all battles felt long and drawn out. Where in Puzzle Quest 1 (CotW) all enemies had a set level. So if you could not beat a boss, you could go back and grind some levels on lower enemies and come back and try again. Was awesome.

Regardless, if you like this game, I would try out PQ1, at the very least. If you like PQ1 (which you will. Trust me.), then give PQ2 a shot. But sadly the Steam sale ends in about 10 minutes.
  • Unknown
    Options
    AkaTobi_85 wrote:
    pasa_ wrote:

Apparently they made her red cost more AP at higher levels, but I don't know about it myself.

Essentially, the devs resigned mStorm to be a weaker version of her 3*** lazy version. This follows a developing trend where the original versions of characters are being nerfed to make their gold versions much more desirable (See Daken for an example). With CotM at 9 Red, for 48 damage per enviro, she is pretty much permanently shelved by design.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Lyrian wrote:
    Essentially, the devs resigned mStorm to be a weaker version of her 3*** lazy version. This follows a developing trend where the original versions of characters are being nerfed to make their gold versions much more desirable (See Daken for an example). With CotM at 9 Red, for 48 damage per enviro, she is pretty much permanently shelved by design.

Except for small difference that people hated Daken and loved mStorm.
  • Unknown
    Options
    M. Storm red now costs 5 again. I think we can all expect it to cost 9 in the future, but not without advance notice maybe I don't know anymore.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Does this mean that Thor and Hulk are getting more HP? icon_cry.gif
  • Unknown
    Options
    Sounds like what happened with the original nerfed version of Spider-Sense. Drastic change that was brutally unfavorable to character function/desirability, but turns out it was a mistake.

Unfortunately, D3/Demiurge has so completely ruined its reputation for competence in balancing and demonstrated that the worst changes can and will happen mid-event with no warning--seriously, M.Storm is one of the featured characters in the current Heroic PvE event--that the players quite reasonably thought that the horrendous version was what the developers intended, kicking their reputation another notch down the death spiral. The quick--and also completely unannounced icon_rolleyes.gif --reversion of that change contained some of the damage, but it didn't eliminate it.

With her current skill set, M.Storm (1* or 3*) is viable if Mistress costs 6 or less. Mistress at 5 is better, but 7+ is a *lot* worse. That is why 1* Storm is the top of the 1* heap and 3* Storm is third-tier at best. If she's not going to retain her current design of glass cannon with low health and cascade-generating utility, then she needs a considerable redesign including a lot more base health (and still may or may not be viable, depending on the details).
  • Unknown
    Options
    If they buffed all the stages to be as good as Desert so that the env AP actually sees use, I think it'd be fine at 9AP.

I'm pretty sure they're too lazy to do that, so I think a good (temporary) compromise would be 5 AP but destroys tiles and not generates AP. That way you can't infinite combo with Thorned Rose or Oasis (which seems to be their main concern).
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm a little confused about how this is working (the character level shift thing, not the Storm/environment tiles thing); are my 141 characters going to automatically get an extra 25 levels when this rolls out? From what I could garner from the main post, the number of levels are increasing but stats are staying the same (i.e. a 166 character will have the same stats as a 141 character).

So did I get that right? I shudder at the thought of having to dump a ton of iso into my 141 guys just to get them back up to what they were before.
  • Unknown
    Options
    elusive wrote:
    I'm a little confused about how this is working (the character level shift thing, not the Storm/environment tiles thing); are my 141 characters going to automatically get an extra 25 levels when this rolls out? From what I could garner from the main post, the number of levels are increasing but stats are staying the same (i.e. a 166 character will have the same stats as a 141 character).

So did I get that right? I shudder at the thought of having to dump a ton of iso into my 141 guys just to get them back up to what they were before.

The stats for them will increase so you aren't losing power only to try have to get it back. Your 141's will got to 166 and be 'stronger' for it.
  • Unknown
    Options
    elusive wrote:

No, all 3*s gain 15 levels to their base and max, so they'll all be gaining levels. Your 166 characters should be more powerful than they used to be, but they said it's not a linear shift so it's not clear how overall power will be until the changes go live.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I wonder when this is going live. I distinctly remember seeing that they're planning on doing it this week, but I have since been unable to find it.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    We're currently planning on making a change (likely during the week of 7/1) to alter the starting levels of each of the rarities of characters past 1*. The max levels will be shifted according to this same amount, making the new top ends change accordingly. Characters will automatically shift the number of current levels equivalent to their rarity. This change will be retroactive, so all characters in the game will automatically be adjusted to the new levels. These changes are intended to make gaining a brand new rarer character immediately useful for those players topped out or transitioning from one rarity level to another. The changes to levels are as follows:
    Rarity    Current (Base)  Current (Cap)    New (Base)     New (Cap)     Change
    1*              1              50               1             50          +0
    2*              6              85              15             94          +9
    3*             15             141              40            166         +25
    4*             30             230              70            270         +40

Leveling costs are unchanged with those costs simply shifted as well. So a 3* character leveling from 15->16 will cost the same amount as a post-shift 3* leveling from 40->41.

Is there any possibility I could get my hands on the updated stats tables for all the characters, so I don't have to find a trainer and make a dud sandboxed account in order to pull all that data for my roster tools? Thanks.
    I'm looking into gathering that info in an easy to digest form, as the files that we use internally have to be mangled for use. Doesn't make for anything very human readable. Those charts would be helpful to everyone though, and a similar runthrough for the characters max stats could save Nonce a bajeebus-load of time.
  • Unknown
    Options
    IceIX wrote:
    I'm looking into gathering that info in an easy to digest form, as the files that we use internally have to be mangled for use. Doesn't make for anything very human readable. Those charts would be helpful to everyone though, and a similar runthrough for the characters max stats could save Nonce a bajeebus-load of time.

Thanks! That would be awesome. LMK when you have anything.
  • Unknown
    Options
    On the making tournaments attractive (including pack-buying) for level-limited or star-limited tournaments... how about doing the tournament when there's built up a decent batch of new characters who aren't on standard/heroic tokens yet, and putting them all on the event's token, with slightly higher chances than they will have on the heroic tokens once they are added.

After all, there's no way to tie them to the theme of the event, so just make them interesting.
  • Unknown
    Options
    jozier wrote:
    iPulzzz wrote:
    Sorry if this has been said before, but I suspect this is also a ploy to make seed team climbing unviable, by making everyone take longer to kill.. icon_e_sad.gif

Though with increased damage, who knows icon_e_biggrin.gif

Only the featured character gets an increase in levels on the seed team. The 1*s remain unchanged.

Well, lately I'm seeing seed team with 2* who wasn't with them before.. Namely captain america and thor.. All big tanky HP type icon_e_biggrin.gif