**** Ikaris (Eternals) ****

Comments

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,379 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    I think the only airborne character that does not act in the same manner is Magneto. I'm pretty sure the last time I checked, if Mehneto is sent airborne by another character his on return proc does not work. Every other character will proc on return no matter who sends them airborne.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's because their abilities have passive tag, whereas Mehneto doesn't have it. That's why he does nothing while airborne.
  • dianetics
    mdreyer93 said:
    He doesn't seem to revive if he's the last character standing, even if you have the required yellow AP. That's disappointing.
    No character revive works if they are the last left standing as far as I know. It would be pretty overpowered if it did.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can you imagine iHulk keeps coming back to hammer your team or an iHulk vs iHulk match?
  • dianetics
    edited November 2021
    Mags blue is worded ambiguously though. "For every 3 yellow AP Magneto has when he returns from being airborne, deal a blow of 2070 to the enemy (up to 8 times)"

It would be far better if that portion was passive. I get the it is part of the main ability but the wording has always bothered me.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Strike tiles work with his airborne passive, like I guessed. That makes him a really good 4* and actually taking nova and carol4 his passive kills apoc without having a chance to regenerate.
    This is a 4* who will be a popular partner to polaris in pick 3, my guess again.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Strike tiles work with his airborne passive, like I guessed. That makes him a really good 4* and actually taking nova and carol4 his passive kills apoc without having a chance to regenerate.
    This is a 4* who will be a popular partner to polaris in pick 3, my guess again.

I don't see them as being popular. Too ap hungry. 

Happy to be proven wrong when they are out in the wild and we can see him how he is intended to be when champed. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,802 Chairperson of the Boards
    He's way, way better on defense than on offense.  If people use him at all it'll be as part of some kind of troll team to be annoying and deter hits.

Hopefully one of the introduction fights will be fighting against him to demonstrate this.
  • Bad
    Forget about his yellow. He only needs to collect 6 purple for double dip on strike tiles. 
    I can see kitty, polaris and grocket paying attention now
  • mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    edited November 2021
    dianetics said:
    mdreyer93 said:
    He doesn't seem to revive if he's the last character standing, even if you have the required yellow AP. That's disappointing.
    No character revive works if they are the last left standing as far as I know. It would be pretty overpowered if it did.
    Yeah, that makes sense for the rest though. iHulk's passive specifically states he needs non-downed allies to revive, Loki has a trap tile that has to be matched (requiring an active ally), and Jean's is a one turn CD, which means it needs at least another turn. 

Edit - nevermind, I re-read Ikaris's yellow. "at the start of your turn, if Ikaris is down". Well his yellow revive is much less useful then since he'll almost always be the last man standing. So far, his utility seems to be the doubling of every match while he's airborn, taking advantage of strike tiles. Had a nice cascade with Carol while Ikaris was airborne which wiped out Apocalypse pretty quickly.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    mdreyer93 said:
    dianetics said:
    mdreyer93 said:
    Yeah, that makes sense for the rest though. iHulk's passive specifically states he needs non-downed allies to revive, Loki has a trap tile that has to be matched (requiring an active ally), and Jean's is a one turn CD, which means it needs at least another turn. 

Edit - nevermind, I re-read Ikaris's yellow. "at the start of your turn, if Ikaris is down". Well his yellow revive is much less useful then since he'll almost always be the last man standing. So far, his utility seems to be the doubling of every match while he's airborn, taking advantage of strike tiles. Had a nice cascade with Carol while Ikaris was airborne which wiped out Apocalypse pretty quickly.
    Well it depends. If you have a team of IHulk, Phoenix and Ikaris, who would you kill first? You probably would target Ikaris first since he is a 4*, but that gives sufficient time for the team to gather yellow. If you kill Phoenix first you would need to kill her twice. Not to say that this is a good team, just that the revive mechanics can get out of hand easily. 
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Once I got everything set up with red and pink against Red Hulk it was like watching the world’s most boring TV. Poor RH couldn’t do much of anything in spite of how angry he got so Ikarus will be pretty good for saving health packs for himself. That will probably be helpful for completing his welcome event. A flight team will be probably too ap hungry to be effective. Good thing Vulture doesn’t generate much of anything in the colors Ikarus wants. 
  • dianetics
    Exactly this. It’s not fun. You just watch the ai make matches and wait.
    land hit flight and wait more.
    I hope nothing comes out like this again. After playing him a bit I think he is probably the most uninteresting release of the year.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 497 Mover and Shaker
    I’m of the opposite opinion as I really enjoyed gathering the requisite AP to float my way to victory. I also like to play Chavez and auto crit/punch my way to winning, and Juggs + Grocket to clear nodes.
  • Bad
    I wonder if the most meta characters on the game aren't boring too.
    Also playing you will play him with 2 characters more.
    The competition for getting his cover in perfect storm is high. Personally I really want to try him with polaris, and if I was a gritty player I would be eager to have him rostered.
    By the way making a critical and a little cascade with small strike tiles and him flying, wipes any foe.
    So you all can expect to be really bored playing against him in the future.
  • Sekilicious
    I actually like the character don’t get me wrong. I think it is a well thought out and unique design. I think he can be the 4* version of Yellowjacket in that you can solo hard nodes with a little thought and rng on your side. In most cases Bad is correct, Ikarus will be no less boring than Vulture or Throg. But I do like making matches as well and I would not watch someone else play the game. The one time Ikarus missed a match-5 I would have got annoyed me to no end. Personally that is the only annoying part about the character design is it takes the decision making out of the hands of the user.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    I suspect that his airborne-match mechanic was experimental and devs just wanted to see how well it functioned and was received by players. 4* land is a good lab for devs since 4* are very manageable by 5* players. Even if something turns out to be über powerful like Polaris, 5* players will usually just say "interesting" before crushing it. They also give lower tier players something to reach for.
  • Sekilicious
    edited November 2021
    It was nice to put Sighclops as the required 5* in Ikarus’s welcome event. Now I know Cycke’s yellow does not switch to black when Ikarus and Vulture are airborne. 
  • Sekilicious
    edited November 2021
    It was nice to put Sighclops as the required 5* in Ikarus’s welcome event. Now I know Cycke’s yellow does not switch to black when Ikarus and Vulture are airborne. 
    Funnily enough, Ikaris's auto-match worked quite nicely with Vulture airborne and poor Rogue stunned and getting repeatedly punched like she was a snowwoman (She survived quite nicely thank you and drained Bobby of his green in revenge). Seems inconsistent but I haven't read Sighclops and Ikaris's abilities (or other similar abilities for that matter) in close enough detail to actually make an educated assessment of whether that is or should be intended. 

It also works with Sighclops dead, lol. Vulture was sent airborne by Riri as well, which was convenient as he was one black ap short. Luckily, Vulture and Ikaris managed to stay airborne the remainder of the match. Good thing too as Mockingbird had bombshells going off left, right, and center. 
  • dianetics
    Honestly after messing with him a bit his airborne match damage probably needs a minor nerf.
    As it is at higher levels he is going to destroy like level characters in 2-3 turns.