**** Ikaris (Eternals) ****

Comments

• Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    I forgot about the eternals. I guess that shows how excited I am about the movie, huh? Anyway, they have that activation chamber that brings them back to life so I suppose this is one of the eternals, then. Zuras is a good candidate, but I'm going with Thena since devs like to go with popular characters from the MCU. Besides, Angelina Jolie is the biggest name in the film so Marvel is gonna really push her image across all media.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    If it’s an Eternal, being a 4* might be the biggest insult to Marvel power levels since Okoye . I don’t even recall seeing them in our comic library. Independently I believe I remember Sersi and Gilgamesh. None of the characters I use need a purple or yellow battery although it’s nice to have one . Players love Mysterio , maybe it’s his son . 
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    7 years in and people are still complaining about power levels compared to how they are in kids comics? I would hazard a guess 75% of the players or more came to this game because of the MCU and previous films with these characters than comics.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    It's reasonable for someone new to begin this game with expectations of power levels based on the comics or MCU if that's all they know. However, if you've been playing this game for 7 years you should know better. MPQ character power levels (rarity) follow completely different reasoning. 
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    7 years in and people are still complaining about power levels compared to how they are in kids comics? I would hazard a guess 75% of the players or more came to this game because of the MCU and previous films with these characters than comics.
    Marvel Trading Cards for me.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    Tony_Foot said:
    For me personally, and this is only my belief , your opinion may vary and that’s fine ,  but I would think I’d have to be a complete idiot if I devoted years to a game that I knew nothing about the characters being introduced with the exception of I saw a few in a movie .  For example , I’ve seen a few Batman and Superman movies , but I’ve never even thought of playing any DC based game because I know nothing about their hundreds of characters nor read a DC comic .  I wouldn’t think myself an expert nor be interested in joining any type of club where I had no education on whatever it was the club was based on . It’s as stupid as joining a motorcycle club if you’ve never ridden one but “ Oh I saw a guy ride one on TV a few times “
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    In my country at my age being a brat there weren't specialized comic books. There were comics on the small stores selling newspaper. Comics for parents buying it to their childs. Like my father did. I could read one comic there and another here, mostly of spiderman, dr strange, shang-chi. I saved them for to read them thousand of times.The small store never cared about ordering all the collections for all the superheroes, or even for regularly be continuing the heroes they were selling.
    However I loved reading the few comics that I could have.
    MCU movies reminded me of my infancy and those superheroes that I never did forget.
    And obviously I can play this game without worrying because I don't know nothing about a character I never had the chance to read.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Traditionally speaking , there's always at least one 4* and one 5* as tie-in for movie releases. Even if this is a 4* Eternal, the next 5* would be from Eternal too, unless something shifted the schedules. For example, Black Widow movie was delayed a number of times and their tie-in characters were Yelena (May 2020) and Red Guardian (Nov 2020).

So, even if this 4* is not from Eternal movie, the following 4* will be from Eternal.

And I happened to be one of those idiots who know nothing much about characters except from what I see in movies or play with fighting games.  >:)
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Are we finally getting Speedball / Penance?
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife

And I happened to be one of those idiots who know nothing much about characters except from what I see in movies or play with fighting games.  >:)
    I didn’t say those players were idiots , don’t take offense to my own self opinion . I said I myself would feel like a complete idiot if I did it and that your opinion may differ and that’s fine as well.  Maybe there are people who join golf clubs that never played a hole of golf but saw it in a movie ( I’ve never met one but it’s still a possibility) and that’s fine too , I personally just wouldn’t join myself .
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    Tony_Foot said:
    For me personally, and this is only my belief , your opinion may vary and that’s fine ,  but I would think I’d have to be a complete idiot if I devoted years to a game that I knew nothing about the characters being introduced with the exception of I saw a few in a movie .  For example , I’ve seen a few Batman and Superman movies , but I’ve never even thought of playing any DC based game because I know nothing about their hundreds of characters nor read a DC comic .  I wouldn’t think myself an expert nor be interested in joining any type of club where I had no education on whatever it was the club was based on . It’s as stupid as joining a motorcycle club if you’ve never ridden one but “ Oh I saw a guy ride one on TV a few times “
    Those comparisons don’t stand up. It’s a game. It’s not the same as a motorcycle club. That’s like saying you wouldn’t play MotoGP games or super hang on when I was 8 because I hadn’t ridden a motorcycle or play COD as I’ve never shot a gun. Or play Gears of War because I’ve never fought Alien monsters before.

Honestly if there have been 200 releases on this game I’ve not had a clue about 150 of them. If they weren’t in a MCU film I’d already seen or the 1990s Spider-Man cartoon I have no idea. I didn’t know who mordo was before I saw the film. I picked the game up because I liked Spider-Man and so did my then 6 year old. If Spider man wasn’t shown in the App Store when I was looking for a game I’d have passed this game by.

Im still waiting for a 5* webtile maker so I can use the best character in the game, Parker. Every thing else is filler.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Traditionally speaking , there's always at least one 4* and one 5* as tie-in for movie releases. Even if this is a 4* Eternal, the next 5* would be from Eternal too, unless something shifted the schedules. For example, Black Widow movie was delayed a number of times and their tie-in characters were Yelena (May 2020) and Red Guardian (Nov 2020).

So, even if this 4* is not from Eternal movie, the following 4* will be from Eternal.

The Marvel Wiki or comics explained on youtube is where a lot of my last 10 years of Marvel things comes from. Everything before that was just from the bad phase of marvel movies lol (before mcu).  I hadn't even seen the black panther film when Killmonger was released.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited November 2021
    I didn't take offense. That's why I put a  smiley at the end. It's just some dark self-deprecating humour.  >:)

As for the movie, reviews are out. I wonder if talking about positivity or negativity of the movie is considered spoiler. And I mean something like, "this movie got good reviews." or "this movie got bad reviews."
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    I didn't take offense. That's why I put a  smiley at the end. It's just some dark self-deprecating humour.  >:)

As for the movie, reviews are out. I wonder if talking about positivity or negativity of the movie is considered spoiler. And I mean something like, "this movie got good reviews." or "this movie got bad reviews."
    I saw one review that said this is Marvels worse release to date , which is scary considering What If?. It looked like a Game of Thrones spin-off which did very well until the last episode that blew up social media. Fans criticism and movie critics’ are usually the opposite though . I can’t even recall the last time I saw a Oscar’s Best Picture but I’ve seen all the highest grossing movies of all time . I don’t consider someone’s opinion a spoiler .
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kevin Feige said it is a "love letter" to Jack Kirby which is a bit worrying to me as I don't think Jack Kirby ever really considered Eternals as a Marvel property and just did it there out of convenience, he didn't even bother to try and integrate them with the shared  Marvel Universe. The Eternals were all lacking in personality and with a large ensemble cast I wonder whether we will get to learn enough about each of them to really care all that much about them. Happy to be wrong though.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited November 2021
    I find that trying to squeeze over 10 heroes and giving them proper introductions within 2.5 hours can be challenging or even impossible. Even Endgame and Infinity War spanned a few movies and a few years before a big number of characters gathered together to defeat evil. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find that trying to squeeze over 10 heroes and giving them proper introductions within 2.5 hours can be challenging or even impossible. Even Endgame and Infinity War spanned a few movies and a few years before a big number of characters gathered together to defeat evil. 

We also have Dane Whitman too.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    It does have the built in problem of us going "so....where were all y'all when Thanos was running around?" I'm curious about it just as part of the larger story, but not so curioius I can't wait for it to hit D+.
  • SuperCarrot
    SuperCarrot Posts: 170 Tile Toppler
    DAZ0273 said:
    Kevin Feige said it is a "love letter" to Jack Kirby which is a bit worrying to me as I don't think Jack Kirby ever really considered Eternals as a Marvel property and just did it there out of convenience, he didn't even bother to try and integrate them with the shared  Marvel Universe. The Eternals were all lacking in personality and with a large ensemble cast I wonder whether we will get to learn enough about each of them to really care all that much about them. Happy to be wrong though.
    Yeah, I seem to remember something about Kirby using some ideas he didn’t get to do with the New Gods. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,807 Chairperson of the Boards
    A review I saw of the movie said that it's about 25% generic MCU stuff and 75% PowerPoint presentation explaining all the convoluted backstories.