5* tier list for PvP and PvE

Comments

• Rod5
    Rod5 Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I’d argue Okoye/Medusa/3Thanos is comparable to Gritty/Thanos...best to take TU AP boost but with the right supports chucked in it can be incredibly fast, even in CL9.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,911 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    Updated the guide to include:

5* Captain Marvel
    PvP rating: D
    PvE rating: ???

5* Hela
    PvP rating: B
    PvE rating: B

Edited to add: Received some helpful feedback regarding Captain Marvel and have upgraded her to D tier. Any more feedback or insight is always welcomed. 

Rod5 said:
    I’d argue Okoye/Medusa/3Thanos is comparable to Gritty/Thanos...best to take TU AP boost but with the right supports chucked in it can be incredibly fast, even in CL9.
    @Rod5 : Included your suggestion as a possible alternative team. All things being equal, I am not sure that it is quite as fast as 5* Thanos & Gritty but it certainly is a viable option and obviously if the player has a high level Okoye and low level Thanos or Kitty it may be the faster choice. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019
    I think Hawkeye might deserve a pve "B" rating (but only because of coulson).  Hawkeye/coulson is a really really good pairing.  It's a slow team (in terms of real time, though quite fast in terms of turns), but can beat almost any opponent reliably (suffers in PvP now because it can't deal with gritty).

Hard to get top 20 using only HE/coulson, but you can definitely get top 50 every event without much trouble.  That seems like a B strength team to me; capable, but slow and not meta.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2019

5* Captain Marvel

Edited to add: Received some helpful feedback regarding Captain Marvel and have upgraded her to D tier. Any more feedback or insight is always welcomed. 

May I ask, what feedback? I still think she is pure trash, but I have her championed so I am interested in finding uses for her (I looked in the thread but could not find anything).

The only good thing is match damage when she is featured in PvE, but that's it. She never gets to actually do any damage with powers or even get green ap (the countdown is too long), etc. so I can't see how she can be of any use in PvP.
    Vhailorx said:
    I think Hawkeye might deserve a pve "B" rating (but only because of coulson).  Hawkeye/coulson is a really really good pairing.  It's a slow team (in terms of real time, though quite fast in terms of turns), but can beat almost any opponent reliably (suffers in PvP now because it can't deal with gritty).

Hard to get top 20 using only HE/coulson, but you can definitely get top 50 every event without much trouble.  That seems like a B strength team to me; capable, but slow and not meta.

HE/Coulson used to be able to beat anything, ANYTHING (but they were slow, so for me they were fine). This just shows how broken the Gritty combo is.

I need to check if by maybe starting with +4 blue/ +4 red they have time to deal with Gritty before they are destroyed.
  • fight4thedream
    edited July 2019
    Vhailorx said:

I think we have to keep in mind the difference between "B tier" and "C tier" for PvE:

B tier: A character that may significantly improve your clear times when paired with a good partner. Not bad especially when partnered with an A tier character, but if this character is the best member on your main A team for PvE, you will struggle to make it t20 in competitive brackets. Using a boosted 4* may be the better option.

C tier: A character that will help you complete the more difficult nodes and wave nodes successfully but isn't likely to help you break top 20 in a competitive bracket. Good for those looking to complete PvE event without having to use too many health packs.

The main question in regards to Hawkeye/Coulson is whether it is fast enough to reliably get a player t20 in a high CL competitive bracket. No doubt, the duo can successfully deal with just about anything; but it seems rather unlikely a player can use that team successfully to compete for t20 placement. Obviously this is mere conjecture on my part, if there are players who are successfully reaching t20 consistently using Hawkeye/Coulson I would be happy to raise their rank.

Polares said:

5* Captain Marvel

May I ask, what feedback? I still think she is pure trash, but I have her championed so I am interested in finding uses for her (I looked in the thread but could not find anything).

The only good thing is match damage when she is featured in PvE, but that's it. She never gets to actually do any damage with powers or even get green ap (the countdown is too long), etc. so I can't see how she can be of any use in PvP.

I haven't personally used her in PvP as, similarly to you, her power set is too slow for my tastes and I don't like how her Photonic Rush eats your own friendly tiles. (This really should be enemy special tiles imho) However, she does have some synergy with special tile spammers (3* Storm and Falcon come to mind) and has some synergy with JJ, DD and apparently Archangel in the 5* tier.

Obviously still not great but not quite as bad as Wasp who has no synergy or Banner. Plus she does have high health and good match damage so I do think the argument of her being D tier is reasonable.
  • Hilk
    Hilk Posts: 131 Tile Toppler

5* Hela
    PvP rating: B
    PvE rating: B

I think the rating is right, but ....A note to add for Hela, her boost on death of an opponent really adds up on harder wave nodes, consider her for those. Get some special tiles out before killing to many people.  Having Both swords and fists Is nice, along with a multiple attack. Nice pairing with Thor, especially if she is high enough to tank.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    I wonder which Tier Iceman and 5* ProfX would be in this tier list. 

I suspect that they would be max highest Tier B. While they are good with interesting move sets, they are likely to change the meta. 
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    atomzed said:
    I wonder which Tier Iceman and 5* ProfX would be in this tier list. 

I suspect that they would be max highest Tier B. While they are good with interesting move sets, they are likely to change the meta. 
    Both of them make good partners to Thorkoye, so there's some value there.
  • fight4thedream
    edited November 2019
    Updated the Guide to include:

New Characters

5* Rescue
    PvP Rating: D
    PvE Rating: ?

5* Storm
    PvP Rating: C
    PvE Rating: C

5* Iceman
    PvP Rating: B
    PvE Rating: ?

5* Professor X
    PvP Rating: A
    PvE Rating: B

Rank updates

5* Jessica Jones
    PvP Rating: B ---> A
    PvE Rating: B (no change)

5* Hawkeye
    PvP Rating: C---> A
    PvE Rating: C (no change)

Notes

PvP meta has shifted with a heavier focus on defensive tactics. New meta teams: Jessica Jones/Bishop, Hawkeye/Worthy Cap, Iceman/Profressor X.

• bigsmooth
    bigsmooth Posts: 375 Mover and Shaker
    Thanks for the update! I might argue that God Emperor Doom could be placed in the PVE "C" tier as he is quite a health pack saver in any non-goon node.
  • fight4thedream
    bigsmooth said:
    Thanks for the update! I might argue that God Emperor Doom could be placed in the PVE "C" tier as he is quite a health pack saver in any non-goon node.
    That is a good point! He also has a great nuke. Will upgrade God Emperor Doom to PvE C tier. Appreciate the feedback. :)

• atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Notes

PvP meta has shifted with a heavier focus on defensive tactics. New meta teams: Jessica Jones/Bishop, Hawkeye/Worthy Cap, Iceman/Profressor X.

How does iceman and PX works? I faced them before and they weren't too difficult using Thor. 
  • Killjoy00
    Killjoy00 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Can someone explain why PP Spider-Man is ranked so highly?  I haven’t leveled but pondering putting some ISO into him (8 covers) but don’t see it. What am I missing?
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    The "D" rating seems a little harsh for First Avenger Cap. He's much better as a standalone character than the other guys in that group, and when paired with the right PVP partner can actually beat Thorkoye. Before I had my own Thorkoye ready, Cap/DD got me 900 in PVP fairly consistently. To be fair DD works well with anyone who stuns and/or creates special tiles, and Cap does both. He's definitely in major need of a damage buff, but I otherwise have no real problems with his power set. I'd make him a C. 
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2019
    I would like to add one more combo for nodes longer than 2 waves.  Kitty/4* Rocket/ 1/2 health 5*Thor.  It usually allows you to wipe out the last wave with a Green attack from Thor, and speeds up quickly.
    For 2 waves. I would use Thanos and  Kitty Grocket,
    An exception to this rule is when there are minions that when killed unstunned drop attack tiles.  (Attack tiles slow things down)  So always use Thanos. 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    For the first 3 easy nodes of PvE, I've switched to using 4* Juggernaut + 4* Rocket + 3* Star-Lord. It does sometimes take 2 matches to end the battle but not always and doesn't use any health packs.
  • fight4thedream
    atomzed said:
    Notes

How does iceman and PX works? I faced them before and they weren't too difficult using Thor. 

From what I understand, Iceman provides defensive options while Prof X offers offense. While not as offensively efficient as Thor/Okoye or defensively strong as JJ/Bishop, they are somewhere in between. Also, I think it's good to keep in mind that Thor/Okoye isn't known to be difficult to defeat either. I would argue a high level Iceman/Prof X is definitely more troublesome than a high level Thor/Okoye in the current PvP environment. Not unbeatable but higher potential to cause trouble.
    Killjoy00 said:
    Can someone explain why PP Spider-Man is ranked so highly?  I haven’t leveled but pondering putting some ISO into him (8 covers) but don’t see it. What am I missing?

PP Spider-man has a great offensive kit. His red can be a game changer and his green isn't too shabby either. In order to gain the max out of him though, you need to meet certain conditions which hinders his defensive value since it will be less likely for the AI to be able to meet those criteria although the recent addition of Spider-man 2099 somewhat alleviates this limitation.

The other issue is he doesn't really have a proper partner in the 5* tier. However, pairing him with a high level Okoye is never a bad decision. (I believe @OJSP suggested this) Intriguingly, he pairs well with 3* Iron Man and has a variety of good partners in the 4* tier (Vulture, Miles, Gwen, Miguel) so he makes a good bridge character. Even when not maximizing his powers' full potential, he still does decent damage.

Whether you should invest ISO in him depends on your build and overall roster strength. You are definitely going to want to have green and red at 5 covers if you plan on relying on him as your main offensive outlet. Seeing as you only have 8 covers, it might be wise to wait? Also you are going to want to have a few of support characters like Spider-Gwen or Vulture champed.

But definitely a fun, hard hitting character that can hang with other heavy hitters in the game.

The "D" rating seems a little harsh for First Avenger Cap. He's much better as a standalone character than the other guys in that group, and when paired with the right PVP partner can actually beat Thorkoye. Before I had my own Thorkoye ready, Cap/DD got me 900 in PVP fairly consistently. To be fair DD works well with anyone who stuns and/or creates special tiles, and Cap does both. He's definitely in major need of a damage buff, but I otherwise have no real problems with his power set. I'd make him a C. 

I appreciate the feedback and find your argument to be reasonable. I will update First Avenger Cap to C tier. Thank you. :)

As for the suggestions for good PvE teams, will also update the guide to include:

Kitty/Grocket/5*Thor for long wave nodes
    4* Juggernaut/4* Grocket/ + Guardian of the Galaxy character for easy nodes

Thanks for all the helpful comments and feedback everyone!

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I've looked over the posts quickly, so I might have missed it, but I don't think I've seen Miguel Spidey 99 mentioned here for pve with Okoye/3* Thanos.
    Seen it elsewhere (discord for sure) and tried it firsthand too (CL9). Pretty sure it's faster than Med/Ok/3T. 
  • fight4thedream
    Kolence said:
    I've looked over the posts quickly, so I might have missed it, but I don't think I've seen Miguel Spidey 99 mentioned here for pve with Okoye/3* Thanos.
    Seen it elsewhere (discord for sure) and tried it firsthand too (CL9). Pretty sure it's faster than Med/Ok/3T. 
    Thanks for pointing that out! I have heard about this combo before but it slipped my mind. I will add it to the effective PvE team list. Thank you!
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I only have Thor and Thanos champed, but Grittynaut is my go to for any fight I can use them.

I'm purely a PVE player btw.