New Feature Coming - Targeting Heroes

Comments

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    No I think it's just about managing expectations. Something this community has shown it's not great at. Personally I think this teaser is a bad idea. They may as well have waited and dropped it on us. Or said a feature was coming and say nothing more, part details will never work well.

• Therealsmkspy
    Therealsmkspy Posts: 254 Mover and Shaker
    edited October 2019
    So is this announcement for an announcement the extra "anniversary special"? 

An announcement for an announcement, smdh.

• winter41
    winter41 Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Glad to hear this, thanks for the update!
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I could also see this feature being cool if it ONLY helped you go from 0->13 covers, rather than for grinding out champ levels. In that sense it would be a solid catch-up strategy to help stimulate the Middle Class of transitioners, rather than something that just helps the Haves have more. 

I'd like to have ways to speed up 4* champs too, either those weird ones that have 5* covers as champ rewards or the newer ones which don't work as well with the rest of my roster because of how tanking works, for instance. Other than BH in their current state.

But as a catch up mechanic, I could see a higher rate for the first character (not dupes) that's <13 covers. Something like that would help newer players. Sure, I'm all for it.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,289 Chairperson of the Boards
    The way I look at it, and encourage others to do so as well is anything is better than nothing.  

Will it fully address every issue of dilution, probably not.  Will it help, probably yes.  Much like mentioned by Fight earlier, temper expectations.  It will probably not alone solve dilution but as the devs suggested in their post, they viewed saved covers and bonus heroes as part of the dilution solution, and now adding targeted heroes.  So expect something along the lines closer to the above features in helpfulness, rather than it being a complete solution to dilution by itself.
  • theomen
    theomen Posts: 99 Match Maker
    @iceIX will this new feature replace feeders going forward?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    theomen said:
    @iceIX will this new feature replace feeders going forward?

This is my expectation.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    That would be interesting; what would happen to existing feeders? Would they get removed from existing champ stacks, or just sit around in partial implementation limbo like Supports?
  • crackninja
    crackninja Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    That would be interesting; what would happen to existing feeders? Would they get removed from existing champ stacks, or just sit around in partial implementation limbo like Supports?
    Can't see them removing existing feeders,  that would be extremely demoralizing for those of us that plan them out a year in advance (sadly not an exaggeration).
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    DarthDeVo said:
    While new avenues to acquiring characters is always welcome news, until we get more concrete details I do think it would be wise to temper one's expectations.
    Coming from a mod, I can't tell if this means "I know something you don't know and you're going to be disappointed" or just "I don't want you guys getting yourselves worked up when we don't know any details."
    It's the latter. I do not get any special access to information about the game. I learn about new features and changes the same as everyone else here. But I have been around long enough to see people get their hopes up only for things to not work out as they had wished (myself included). It's definitely something to be curious about and look forward to but let's find out how it will work first before jumping to any conclusions.
    Awwwwwww man, I was looking forward to breaking out my Jump to Conclusions Mat.

You see, it's this mat that has a bunch of different conclusions you can jump to. 
    @DarthDeVo
    I don't know if you're being hyperbolic, but if you actually do have one, please post a pic :)
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can't see them removing existing feeders,  that would be extremely demoralizing for those of us that plan them out a year in advance (sadly not an exaggeration).
    Right there with you; been working on Chavez since Feb...
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,902 Chairperson of the Boards

For example, one of the biggest things players have been asking for is a way to direct progress towards given characters, especially those that aren't directly featured in a given pack. Both the Saved Heroes and Bonus Heroes systems help with this, but we can go even further. Directed progress is super important for players to feel as if they can get more powerful by playing to have the tools they need to succeed.

By working with this new coming soon feature, players will be able to choose which characters they want to directly go for and get covers to complete. On top of this, the feature is visible and easily trackable, so players will always know how close they are to that next character milestone.

After re-reading this part of the announcement again I'm hoping this is just a 'fixed draw' feature. By that I mean after X number of 4* or 5* tokens you get a guaranteed 4* or 5* character of your choice.

For example lets say the X is 9 and you set your 5* target hero to Surfer. So after your next 9 5* covers (from latest, classic, special release store etc) your next 5* cover (again from any latest, classic, special release store) will be a Surfer (presumably random color).

The tracking feature will show you how far along you are toward the X value (9 in my example) so it might say 7/9 to show that you have hit 7 5* tokens since your last fixed draw. You'd then would know you are close (in case you want to change your target hero I suppose or just know how many more tokens you might need to open).

Perhaps a T10 finish in a PvE or PvP will move you 1 further along without actually opening tokens.

KGB
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:

For example, one of the biggest things players have been asking for is a way to direct progress towards given characters, especially those that aren't directly featured in a given pack. Both the Saved Heroes and Bonus Heroes systems help with this, but we can go even further. Directed progress is super important for players to feel as if they can get more powerful by playing to have the tools they need to succeed.

By working with this new coming soon feature, players will be able to choose which characters they want to directly go for and get covers to complete. On top of this, the feature is visible and easily trackable, so players will always know how close they are to that next character milestone.

After re-reading this part of the announcement again I'm hoping this is just a 'fixed draw' feature. By that I mean after X number of 4* or 5* tokens you get a guaranteed 4* or 5* character of your choice.

For example lets say the X is 9 and you set your 5* target hero to Surfer. So after your next 9 5* covers (from latest, classic, special release store etc) your next 5* cover (again from any latest, classic, special release store) will be a Surfer (presumably random color).

The tracking feature will show you how far along you are toward the X value (9 in my example) so it might say 7/9 to show that you have hit 7 5* tokens since your last fixed draw. You'd then would know you are close (in case you want to change your target hero I suppose or just know how many more tokens you might need to open).

Perhaps a T10 finish in a PvE or PvP will move you 1 further along without actually opening tokens.

KGB
    I was reading this to be more like your SHIELD Level experience points (just in case I'm using the wrong term, it's the one that gives you iso when you level up... in the upper left of the screen)

Complete specific activity, get x points.  The higher the * level cover is, the more points it costs... 
  • dingo
    dingo Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    My question is, will this be like Shield Clearance Levels? Remember when SCL first came our we were given a rank  based on something....? I don't remember the criteria. Which translated into a bunch of iso. I remember receiving around 300K or more.  Will we be prorated with rewards based on some sort of level?.... Not to jump to conclusions.... 
  • tupacboy
    tupacboy Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    some exciting news!!  hope it get implemented soon!
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    KGB said:

KGB
    I've been saying for years that MPQ needs a system like this.  They had this type of system in Marvel Avengers Alliance where after drawing a certain number of duplicate covers to get a locked hero or villain you were guaranteed to draw a cover you didn't have already.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have been thinking about this feature and I am wondering how the targeting will work.

option 1 like shield rank used to work where you gain experience per match  that slowly builds up toll you can upgrade a level.

option 2 how shield rank works now with with cover pulls and levels building up points to get a cover.

option 3 directly tying to LT/CP pulls.  So every five 5* you pull you get your targeted hero.  Every four 4* you get your targeted 4*.

option 4 buying points for targeted hero’s with iso, red iso, or HP