Bishop (Classic) (11/13/18)

Comments

• tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,650 Chairperson of the Boards
    tiomono said:
    For the red/blue passives does Bishop have to take all that damage up front?  It sounds like with red it can accumulate over several moves/turns (like Vakyrie's bounty or Apocalypse's horseman) but for blue it has to be in one shot like Valkyrie's yellow or 3* Marvel's passive).
    That's how I read it. Red takes two "jumping-in-fronties" to pull off the damage part. The only thing unclear is if three times taking 600 damage straight up also triggers it. Does it only trigger on the jumps or does it trigger on direct damage as well?

On yet another different note... There aren't that many 5*s that can effectively turn all that blue AP to big pain, or are there?
    Nope hawkeye does not want more blue no way. 
    Lukoil said:
    For the red/blue passives does Bishop have to take all that damage up front?  It sounds like with red it can accumulate over several moves/turns (like Vakyrie's bounty or Apocalypse's horseman) but for blue it has to be in one shot like Valkyrie's yellow or 3* Marvel's passive).
    That's how I read it. Red takes two "jumping-in-fronties" to pull off the damage part. The only thing unclear is if three times taking 600 damage straight up also triggers it. Does it only trigger on the jumps or does it trigger on direct damage as well?

On yet another different note... There aren't that many 5*s that can effectively turn all that blue AP to big pain, or are there?
    4 turn stun + AP denial from bishop himself seems resonable enough for blue AP spender. No need for 5* eqivalent (though we have strange with similar effect but also with damage)
    Ok, in 5* land there's Hawkeye and Strange... I wouldn't call that "many 5*s", but that's up for debate I guess.
    The 4 turn stun and AP denial if you choose to have Bishop use it himself isn't a bad way to go, I'll admit that. Blue never was a power-colour known for big damage, with a few exceptions of course, so no blue nukes in 5* land makes sense I guess. :)
    The 2 spider men like blue as well.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    If it is indeed Emma who's needed for Shield Training, then for once I'm in luck. She has just enough covers to level her to 209. The two other essentials are no problem.  
  • JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 819 Critical Contributor
    Brigby said:

General Reserves - bluetilepng Passive
    With every injury, Bishop grows stronger. If Bishop takes 451 or more damage, gain 5 Blue AP. 
    A 5* deals this much in match damage alone.

Can the passive proc multiple times off one cascade?

If so, that's ploughing OP.
  • bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm trying to get excited here. Ummm.....his red and blue passives would trigger all the time against 5* champs or anyone using 4*Grocket, so the 4* and 5* meta.  He then gets hurt and generates 5 blue every turn and hits back for 3788 every other turn. It's interesting that he will tank over a 5* champ just because they took damage.  I want to say his yellow is the throw-away power, but I guess it could be useful against special tile creators, but 10 yellow ain't cheap. In order for him to work, he needs to take damage, which will eat health packs even with regular stuns. 

Usage? In his pvp event against 5* champs or 4* Grocket, he will tank everything and die quickly, perhaps stunning someone and hitting you back before he's down. Remember that the 1/1/1 loaner will probably have lower damage thresholds. He would be annoying. If he had regular burst healing (Carnage-Medusa), then he could go the distance and stun lock the enemy team. 

He could be treated as an expendable character that you only use a couple times a day and never bother to heal. He could take all the hits against Grocket-Dusa teams or high level bosses. 

Overall, he seems difficult to use.  He's another character that triggers off of taking big hits like XFDP, Rhulk, 3*Hulk, 3*Carol, Dazzler, Thing.....but he stuns AND hits back (like combining XFDP and Dazzler's powers). Of course, his blue could fuel someone else, like 5*doc ock's mechanical arms!

Now, I'm really stretching it.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    When are we gonna talk about dilution? I feel we need to talk about dilution....
  • tiomono
    tiomono Posts: 1,650 Chairperson of the Boards
    DyingLegend said:I 
    When are we gonna talk about dilution? I feel we need to talk about dilution....
    Then start a new topic discussing dilution. This is a place to discuss Bishop.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    @Brigby Will he make it into next seasons tokens?
  • Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Thanos said:
    Brigby Will he make it into next seasons tokens?
    My guess is that it's too close to the start of the next season for Bishop to make it into tokens in time.
  • mega ghost
    mega ghost Posts: 1,154 Chairperson of the Boards
    Very excited for Bishop. Very disappointed that Emma Frost is required once again.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    I assume the damage required for the Red and Blue passives is AFTER the incoming damage is weakened by the shields from his Yellow?
    In this case aren't the shields (even if they are short-lived) hindering you?
    Yeah I'm always disappointed by this.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    He's definitely going to be a strong counter to GrockMorDusa since every match will trigger his Red (if he's in front) or his Blue (if he's not).

On another Note, who jumps in front when multiple characters can jump to the front? Ie if he and Rogue are teamed and the enemy makes a match to send Rogue to the front (who would then take more than his Blue threshold via Match damage) will he then jump in front of Rogue?

Brigby's comment about Bishop vs Bishop is reminiscent of BagSilver vs BagSilver where you want to time things just right to double dip (damage opponent for 2K, enemy Bishop deals back 3K to your front character, your Bishop then damages other Bishop for 3K) esp if you have strikes out.

KGB

He will be insanely annoying to fight in a 'Clash'. Constantly Blue triggering from Match damage followed by 4 turn stun. Might be impossible to kill unless his clash opponent is invisible.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    KGB said:
    On another Note, who jumps in front when multiple characters can jump to the front? Ie if he and Rogue are teamed and the enemy makes a match to send Rogue to the front (who would then take more than his Blue threshold via Match damage) will he then jump in front of Rogue?

The intended rule here is that the character with the most health takes the hit.
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    So does Bishop tank the red passive damage? Example. The team is Bishop, Chavez and Vulture. I do 1000 damage to Vulture and Bishop leaps ahead. Does Vulture take the damage or does Bishgop tank it?

Further question, I assume the build up damage is only from stuff Bishop has engaged and tanked, right? There's no way they've designed a character who deals 4k damage for every 2k he takes.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Brigby said:

Will the overclocked passives bounce back?  You do damage to the opposing teams team mate.  Bishop takes damage, and sends his damage back.  Your bishop intervenes and sends damage back to the opposing bishop who is now in front and he gains 5 blue AP from General reserves?   
    Correction: Bishop's Passive does trigger the enemy Bishop's Passive, and vice versa. 
    Does it trigger immediately (e.g. like Captain Marvel's Energy Manipulation), or does it wait until the start of your turn (e.g. like Mockingbird's Opportunist)?
    If it is immediate, the first versus event is going to be interesting.  Once one of the two low level loaner Bishops hits the threshold, their Overclocked attack will trigger Overclocked in the enemy Bishop, ping-ponging within the same turn until one of them dies.  At the same time, they'd both be generating blue AP.
    It'll be less crazy if the Overclocked attack waits until the start of the player's turn since that would let the player cancel out the enemy attack with a stun.
  • scottee
    scottee Posts: 1,609 Chairperson of the Boards
    It'll be like the old pre-nerf 2* Storm days!
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    Wow, crazy skill set. He's going to be fun/hard to manage. I'm looking forward to testing him out in his Training node. 

Haven't heard too much of a negative tone so far. But at first glance, he might run the risk of getting shelved quickly. Quite simply, he just can't do damage Unless he gets hurt. That's not normally a go-to ability set. But man, that potential to build up blue AP so quickly will be interesting. While his stun and enemy-AP drain is good, I assume most would run him with a powerful blue user.  Can we finally afford to play Nightcrawler's blue? etc.  Or with Gamora, or Peggy..

It would be cool if his crash of the titans was against Venom. If Bishop takes enough damage Venom will create protect tiles for us, then we can absorb them for even more blue AP. 
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    jamesh said:
    Brigby said:

Will the overclocked passives bounce back?  You do damage to the opposing teams team mate.  Bishop takes damage, and sends his damage back.  Your bishop intervenes and sends damage back to the opposing bishop who is now in front and he gains 5 blue AP from General reserves?   
    Correction: Bishop's Passive does trigger the enemy Bishop's Passive, and vice versa. 
    Does it trigger immediately (e.g. like Captain Marvel's Energy Manipulation), or does it wait until the start of your turn (e.g. like Mockingbird's Opportunist)?
    If it is immediate, the first versus event is going to be interesting.  Once one of the two low level loaner Bishops hits the threshold, their Overclocked attack will trigger Overclocked in the enemy Bishop, ping-ponging within the same turn until one of them dies.  At the same time, they'd both be generating blue AP.
    It'll be less crazy if the Overclocked attack waits until the start of the player's turn since that would let the player cancel out the enemy attack with a stun.
    I don't think the Red ping-pongs until one Bishop is dead.

The way I read the Red is that it only activates when a team mate would take damage and he jumps in front to absorb it similar to how 3* deadpool works.

So what happens is Team X fires a power against Team Y with Bishop not in front. Team Y Bishop jumps to front, eats the damage and deals damage to Team X. If Team X has Bishop in front then his Blue passive activates and that's it. If team X has a non-Bishop in front then Team X Bishop jumps to front and eats the retal damage and deals his own retal damage to Team Y Bishop. But it all ends there since both Bishops are in front (Note it's possible the Blue passive will trigger on both Bishops so both teams would generate Blue AP but they may not allow that double dipping if the Red passive activates).

KGB
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wonder what happens when you set up "Bishop ping pong" with powers like Thanos' green moving him back to the front? (probably depends on the order, if Ally Bishop moves to the front and retaliates and Enemy Bishop does the same before Thanos steps back to the front, it wouldn't be an issue)
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,367 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting. Could be a pain to fight against with that blue battery thing going, though. Curious how it will play out.

If I compare this to the other 'take damage, gain AP' character 3Carol, Carol is always a pain to fight against but if I play her it's usually 'meh'. Part of this may be due to me being a 4* player though so her passive always seems to trigger when fighting her.

This:
    Brigby said:
    Bishop's Red ability, Overclocked, has a counter that tracks how much damage Bishop has received. As for his Blue, General Reserves, the damage must be dealt in one single attack, in order for it to trigger.
    seems to indicate that at least it's not 3* Carol 'threshold-only' style, which would make Bishop even more annoying to counter.