Bishop (Classic) (11/13/18)

Comments

• broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    zodiac339 said:
    It took me a bit to realize the wording on his yellow is to covert enemy “special” tiles, not attack/strike/protect tiles. If he’s also converting countdown and invisible tiles, it would explain why the protect tiles he makes have a specific value.
    Confirmed countdown tiles get converted fighting Cyclops in the first 1 on 1 node.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,367 Chairperson of the Boards
    First impressions of Bishop:
    · His actual cover in the roster screen is fun (got a red one from ST)
    · Animations were a little weak
    · Cheap stun was reasonably effective on blue
    · In the Shield Training loaner matchup, I was completely unable to fire off his yellow due to board conditions never being met - seems like this would have been a place where Carnage would finally have been appropriate even though he has been a slayer of new releases in past shield trainings
    · I didn't see any particular synergy with the required wingmen here, and as is so often the case Bishop died mid-match and left the rest to a lvl 217 Bl4de and 273 Frost to finish up

*edit* - I went back and played again, specifically letting Angel live long enough to make some specials this time - it would be really nice if Bishop had some sort of health regen ability, maybe tied to that Yellow like a reverse DareDevil (Matt Murdock) - every time he removes the protect tiles he gets some health back. He seems like a guaranteed health pack burn at this moment to me
    Not sure about giving him a heal mechanic too, sounds like that would make him OP.
  • whitecat31
    whitecat31 Posts: 579 Critical Contributor
    gentgeen said:
    Now with Bishop, we have gotten 17 new 4* characters in the last 365 days.  (Hulk released 11/15/17 - and not counting Taskmaster since he is a 'limited' ).   Of those 17 new characters, ONLY Nebula does not have a passive.  

The trend of Passive is really getting old IMHO -- and the number of passives added on like Bishop's that basically give the character a 4th power also seems to be running rampid.  At least in the past the benefit of a passive was countered with the LOSS of one of the 3 power.  

Is somebody passive aggressive?  Sorry. I could not help myself.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,124 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2018
    DeNappa said:

Not sure about giving him a heal mechanic too, sounds like that would make him OP.
    OP? He does no damage and just kind of dies every match...
    Wiccan's heal doesn't really keep him alive very well even champed at 5 covers, but at least he has teeth to go with it. I think tying Bishop's heal to his not-always-possible yellow active isn't too bad
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    DeNappa said:

OP? He does no damage and just kind of dies every match...
    Wiccan's heal doesn't really keep him alive very well even champed at 5 covers, but at least he has teeth to go with it. I think tying Bishop's heal to his not-always-possible yellow active isn't too bad
    You could also bring someone along to heal him. I guess the options are a bit sparse when also considering someone to use all that Blue AP, but hey. They don't have to spoon-feed us the easy options.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited November 2018
    It just gives him the Lockjaw problem. Most of the other Jump-in-Fronts come with some kind of damage mitigation - Lockjaw can reduce up to 100% of it if there is a friendly special included
    -D3adpool makes a healing countdown to reduce it a bit
    -Spider-Woman can reduce up to 100% of it
    -Colossus can reduce it by 50% and can further benefit from defend tiles
    -Thing makes some wild defense tiles
    -Wiccan reduces it if it's power damage AND has a true heal to go with it
    -Rogue reduces most of it as long as her team is alive and can further benefit from defend tiles
    -Bishop just...eats it and dies
  • Straycat
    Straycat Posts: 963 Critical Contributor
    It just gives him the Lockjaw problem. Most of the other Jump-in-Fronts come with some kind of damage mitigation - Lockjaw can reduce up to 100% of it if there is a friendly special included
    -Rogue reduces most of it as long as her team is alive and can further benefit from defend tiles
    Yeah, but those other powers are defensive, Bishop's isn't. I think its meant so on defense you can't just try and avoid him until you can one shot him. He's gonna get hit but he'll hit you back.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I find the animation between Angel's Enemy Down and Bishop's Overclocked paired really well. 

Bishop's Overclocked works like Dr Strange's passive. Can you imagine taking 5600-6000 damages from their passives? Dr strange ability has a small heal component that might help Bishop lives longer.

Taking two separate 451 damage or more in exchange for 10 blue ap is quite worth the pain. If he takes another two separate 451 or more damage, it activates his Overclocked (1804 damage taken). 

Pair him up with:

1)Gamora to stun-lock 2 enemies

2) Nick Fury to flood the board with trap tiles  (1505 damage per trap tiles). Every 3rd turn Nick Fury places 7 trap tiles. The enemy can escape the first 7 trap tiles. What about 14, 21, 28 trap tiles? 

• Dragon_Nexus
    Dragon_Nexus Posts: 3,701 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay, someone really needs to tell the artist to calm down on the tile covering fighting poses XD

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Straycat said:
    Yeah, but those other powers are defensive, Bishop's isn't. I think its meant so on defense you can't just try and avoid him until you can one shot him. He's gonna get hit but he'll hit you back.
    Not entirely - Lockjaw claps back damage every time he does his jump in front, and that damage is per-matched-tile. So he eats 100% of the match AND fires back damage rather than eating 100% of the match. Also he has a chance to burst-heal the party if yellow is most prevalent on the board. To me, Bishop's ability most similar to lockjaw's - does a little more damage in exchange for not having to require a special match and no damage reduction.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay, someone really needs to tell the artist to calm down on the tile covering fighting poses XD

Hey, isn't that Ice T?
  • Moon Roach
    Moon Roach Posts: 2,863 Chairperson of the Boards

@Brigby, that's nearly as bad as Okoye was.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Bishop should heal when he absorbs energy.  It's not just that it would make him more playable, but it's also accurate to the character. 

I think he is severely hampered by the tank and die mechanic.  I rarely play characters like 3* Marvel who have to take damage in order to do something as their main ability (I rank her one of the lower characters in the rier because of it).  If it's a throwaway third power like Valkyrie yellow then I can deal with it when she is bringing other stuff to the table.  But Bishop, despite carrying around multiple hand cannons has no way to deal damage directly and instead needs to take hits in order to do his things.  Without a way to recover all that health he's essentially a healthpack suck.  The Blue AP gen is great but I'd rather just bring Vulture, make two black matches and rather than... die.... just do the opposite and fly off to safety.

Preliminarily he looks troll tier.  He's a character that is annoying to fight but you likely wouldn't play him yourself.  Probably good to throw up at the end of a climb (for 4* players) as he is likely going to be skipped.  But other than that, the healthpack drain definitely makes me think twice about using him with any regularity.

Of course this is all on paper.  We'll see how he looks in practice once we get more covers for him (hoping my assessment is wrong).
  • Dragon_Nexus
    Hey, isn't that Ice T?

• Freelancer
    Freelancer Posts: 122 Tile Toppler
    They've also got the large font in his Yellow power that hides all of the passive info for that power...
  • Dragon_Nexus
    They've also got the large font in his Yellow power that hides all of the passive info for that power...
    Same problem as 4* Black Widow's black.

I don't get it...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I'm considering running Chavez/Bishop/Widow as a 4* troll team at some point in the future. Will make a nice alt to my Lockjaw/Kraven/Elektr4 team I sometimes run in simulator for the lolz.
  • BlackBoltRocks
    BlackBoltRocks Posts: 1,157 Chairperson of the Boards

Moving to Suggestions and Feedback in 3, 2, 1...
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    So who Thinks Bishop will get a support that heals him?
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,549 Chairperson of the Boards
    I also managed to get his blue and red powers firing no problem and I got 2 of the opposition locked down in stuns but he did end up dying. Definitely gonna eat some healthpacks I think but I quite like him. No idea about his yellow though.