*** Thor (Modern) ***

Comments

• PorkBelly
    PorkBelly Posts: 526 Critical Contributor
    Puritas wrote:
    Being able to turn thor into lazy thor is a bit ridiculous. They should have a full iso refund for selling your thor though if you want imo. That would give ppl the iso back, which is half of the equation.

Well instead of a full iso refund, if levelling up a gold character would leech from the ** version rather than your general ISO pool it'd be an incredibly simple and elegant solution

I like this idea.

As you acquire new *** covers, new Thor eats old Thor.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    this is one of the times where you can thank a hacker/cheater for providing info... hackers where are you?
  • poomermon
    poomermon Posts: 300 Mover and Shaker
    I assume the easiest cheat is to get unlimited iso and hp but since you can't actually get *** Thor from tokens/packs it is kinda problem.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2014
    Now that all the hype and pomp is gone and i have 2/3 covers, It really hit me that all i got was a very hard to upgrade 2 star Thor.

They should include this newThor in all the packs and run a few consecutive events with him, because unless you don't have a 40+ Thor already this one is not gonna really be unique until you get to level 86. and given d3's penchant for not rotating new 3*s for a while, that's a LOOOONG way to go.

At the least they should have given him a power bump, or lower cost of AP. Something to make this more than a collectors item. I do hope they reevaluate this character (or the entire gold concept)
  • I'm kind of torn on this subject...

Would I have preferred a 3* Thor with new abilities? Absolutely.
    Would I have rather seen a new character? Yup.
    Should Rags been improved instead? Yea, probably.
    Do I want to see any more Gold Characters? No. Not so much.
    Am I excited about having a 141 version of 2* a character I love? Actually, yes. Yes I am.

I completely agree with the concept of voting with your dollar. It's really the only voice we have as individuals in the marketplace. That being said, I've been casting my ballot as an affirmative "Yes". It's really what the OP is saying that has me conflicted. We are basically saying with our actions, "Yes, MOAR!", and then with our voices saying, "NO, BAD. STOP." Despite a lot of people hating the idea, many of those of same people (myself included) are contributing to its success. I really hate the whole idea of, "I'm only doing this because I'm being forced to". Lazy Thor will not be required to stay competitive, and even if he turns out being ridiculously epic, something new will just come along in the next few weeks to fix that. Ultimately, if people level and use this character (which I think they will), the trend will likely continue. The doors been opened, and I don't think we can shut it again.

I think the best thing would be to find a solution without scraping the idea altogether. Maybe if we could keep it to a rare or special occurrence.. Something that happens once a quarter or bi-annually (I was going to say yearly, but then I realized we've only been playing since Oct!). Also, since these characters probably don't require too much planning, maybe the community can help decide who the next one will be (within reason, of course. I don't think we don't need 141 OBWs and M.Storms running around).

Also, I do agree that there should be some kind of "Thor eats Thor" rebate, but not a huge one. Enough to reward players who have put time in the 2* without making it an easy upgrade path. Maybe some kind of system where you can eat 2 maxed characters and get refunded the full ISO/HP for one of them.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Bored waiting on someone else. Here's a partial:

Thunder Strike - Yellow 12 AP
    A lightning bolt pierces the sky and rips the target..
    Level 1: 154 Damage, +4 Green
    Level 2: 200 Damage, +5 Green
    Level 3: 246 Damage, +6 Green
    Level 4: 293 Damage, +7 Green
    Level 5: 339 Damage, +9 Green

Call the Storm - Green 14 AP
    Thor summons a violent storm to smite the enemy..
    Level 1: 237 damage to target, 118 to other enemies
    Level 2: 332 damage to target, 165 to other enemies
    Level 3: 427 damage to target, 212 to other enemies
    Level 4: 521 damage to target, 260 to other enemies
    Level 5: 616 damage to target, 307 to other enemies
  • Moral wrote:

Thanks for taking the plunge.

Are those from his base level?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Moral wrote:

Thanks for taking the hit! Yellow is ~1.9k at max level, green ~4k, as we expected. I was hoping that we get something slightly more interesting at max level, but oh well i guess.
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    Moral wrote:

Thanks for taking the plunge.

Are those from his base level?

Yes.

Main target green is very close to Black Panther's black. Don't have a red cover, so counting on some OCD completionist to finish the job. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 684 Critical Contributor
    I would have liked it more if they made the Gold Thor just the original, unfunbalanced Thor at 3 stars.
  • I would have liked it more if they made the Gold Thor just the original, unfunbalanced Thor at 3 stars.

This, with the old Thor lvl85 power being this Thor's lvl141 power.
  • I would have liked it more if they made the Gold Thor just the original, unfunbalanced Thor at 3 stars.

Interesting, to me the after-balancing Thor looks much better and on opposition imposed way more threat. His yellow just rocks (needs maxing obviously) and is a perfect counter for Patch as I see it.
  • pasa_ wrote:
    I would have liked it more if they made the Gold Thor just the original, unfunbalanced Thor at 3 stars.

Interesting, to me the after-balancing Thor looks much better and on opposition imposed way more threat. His yellow just rocks (needs maxing obviously) and is a perfect counter for Patch as I see it.

The original Thor hits with a 6 red AP nuke that fills the board with yellow. A far cry from what it used to be right now.

The Yellow does far less damage now, but the amount of green it fills is far more devastating. And his green simply increased damage.

He is not as powerful as before imho because he is unable to get a nuke out as quick imho.
  • ErikPeter
    ErikPeter Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    I'm guessing people complained too much about characters with the same name but different powers. If they made a new, more interesting Thor, people would complain, so instead, they can give us a more powerful (eventually) rare version.

As for the "gold" designation, I don't know why they haven't told us what it means yet, but I'm guessing they never drop from standard tokens.
  • Someone in my bracket has maxed him already.

Level: 141
    Health: 8700
    Damage: 60 (Y), 67 (R), 11 (U), 52 (G), 10 (P), 12 (B), 3.5 (C), 3 (E)

4R covers: 1492 dmg + 3Y tiles; 1817 dmg at level 5
    4Y covers: 1832 dmg + 7G tiles; 2121 dmg + 9G tiles at level 5
    5G covers: 3856 dmg + 1927 dmg to other enemies
  • Someone in my bracket has maxed him already.

That green does way too much damage. Most 3* can't even do 3856 damage on one guy with 14 AP. Red breaks the 200 damage per red AP threshold, which is a little bit too good (that threshold should not be broken by a tank character when most 3* can't exceed it). Yellow is probably too good but it's really hard to compare yellow abilities because most of them outright suck so I don't have anything consistent to measure it up against.
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    Was it Sheldoro who you saw? They came up in my queue for Fearless Defenders. Anyone who wants to check the maxed Thor's stats for themselves can search for the "The_Fifflers2" alliance and check out his roster.
  • Phantron wrote:
    Someone in my bracket has maxed him already.

That green does way too much damage. Most 3* can't even do 3856 damage on one guy with 14 AP. Red breaks the 200 damage per red AP threshold, which is a little bit too good (that threshold should not be broken by a tank character when most 3* can't exceed it). Yellow is probably too good but it's really hard to compare yellow abilities because most of them outright suck so I don't have anything consistent to measure it up against.
    Beastly character, for sure. Wonder what will happen with this character considering the craziness people had for Black Panther, who only had one dominating skill (black), eh? With 3 dominating skills, would you think 4/4/5 is better than the 3/5/5 people used for the ** version?
  • WesFaram wrote:
    Phantron wrote:
    Someone in my bracket has maxed him already.

Beastly character, for sure. Wonder what will happen with this character considering the craziness people had for Black Panther, who only had one dominating skill (black), eh? With 3 dominating skills, would you think 4/4/5 is better than the 3/5/5 people used for the ** version?

I don't see anything beyond 3/5/5 because his green is way overpowered (it'd be considered powerful even if it hits only one guy). Yellow builds his green, and being able to drop 9 green tiles has all kinds of advantages. It's a strong counter to to Berserker Rage and Patch is likely still one of the top characters in the foreseeable future, and even if his green gets nerfed there are no shortage of great green skills out there (oddly enough, he can even combo with Patch, because you just Thunder Strike after a Berserker Rage and then Berserker Rage again after the cascades). The red skill would be good on another character, but it doesn't do anything outrageous powerful. 8r for 1800 damage is not functionally very different from Retribution, since it's not enough damage to take someone out at high health, and Punisher will generally do at least that much damage on someone under 40%.